PublicSafety's Race Rig

Canada
Kingston
For quite a while, I have been enjoying the Sim Racing Hardware section of GTplanet. This forum has been great and quite inspirational to me and the way I enjoy console, and soon to be PC racing. Some people in particular have been instumental in allowing me to play the way I want to play. Two people come to mind right away, and I wish to say thank you, Mr Basher and Derek Speare. The inovation to take a hobby, expand and share with their community, while being classy guys just astounds me, and we are lucky to have them.

This is the story of my sim rig. I have been documenting my build on FM.net, and Inside sim racing. But realized I have never shared with this community, which has been a great inspiration to my build. Hence why a lot of my build will seem familiar to GTplanet members.

The post has been coppied directly from my log on FM.net posted 08-29-2012. (so some dates will seem off) Here it goes... I hope you enjoy!

Back when the first Forza was released on the original xbox, I fell in love with it. It was the game which had me search out a wheel to play racing games with. I ended up purchasing a Madcatz wheel. Man did I suck!

Xbox 360 came out and I purchased Forza 2 and upgraded to the MS WRW. For the next 4 years I used this wheel to play all the racing games I could get my hands on. I had it mounted to a tv tray, and eventually purchased a playseat early 2011. I thought I was in heaven. Forza 3 was amazing with this setup.

Last October with the release of Forza 4, I thought it was time to step it up a notch. Fanatec has released the CSR series and my wife was nice enough to suggest it be my Christmas present. She got me a CSR, CSP, and CSR shifter set. Sorry for this pic, it is from an old cell phone.

IMG00468.jpg

(shown above: my setup was a CSR wheel, CSP, CSR Shifter set. Playseat Alcantra with shifter adapter, 46" 120 hrz LCD TV, Sony 7.1 1000w/channel surround sound)

I played alot over the holidays. I even hooked up my (crappy) PC to my TV and tried out some PC racing, Race 07, iRacing, RBR. Which all ran terribly, I need a new computer. I even purchased a Buttkicker gamer to create a better immersion.

So the playseat was great with the MS WRW, but as I played with the tripple pedal setup, and bad pedal angle, and flat backrest, I started to hate sitting in my rig.

This summer, it was time to redecorate the basement. The rest of the house had been done, and my wife suggested we do something different. She sugessted we take half of the room and make it my little gaming corner. (I love this woman).

So for the last 3 weeks we have been decorating, I ordered and recieved an Obutto oZone (with tripple screen adapter), clubsport table clamp, an extra shifter adapter, and put it all together....

Simrig010.jpg

Simrig003.jpg

Simrig002.jpg

Simrig012.jpg

I had the Buttckicker attached to the tubular frame of the Obutto, but thought there was a better way.

Simrig005.jpg

Simrig004.jpg

Yep.... MUCH better.

So I took all these pictures on the weekend, and since then, I have recieved a set of Tilton pedal pads from DSD. WOW, if you have clubsports, do yourself a favour.... buy them!

As time goes on I will be purchasing 3 monitors, one more xbox (I already have 2), and a new PC.

To sum it all up, THIS is the way to play! I am having a blast. Hope you enjoyed :D

Edit: Sept 10 update

Ok so here is a pic of my new DSD Tilton pedal pads. Pedals feel much better.
pedals.jpg

The setup is almost complete...
cockpit.jpg

...and what I view.
view.jpg

A hired driver so I can hold my camera. Just so you can se what it's all about. Enjoy.

Youtube

Priceless [:D]

Update 12/06/2012

Using some scrap wood and microfiber cloth, I decided to make a desk top (dashboard).

2.jpg

Updates 06/03/13

Some time ago I ordered the Th8rs Shifter from Thrustmaster as a replacement to the Fanatec CSR shifters. The TH8rs is a much better H-pattern shifter solution, than the one provided by Fanatec. I also ordered a DSD sequential shifter, as both the Fanatec shifter and the TH8rs both provide a shifter solution that I find lacking. Both of these shifters are not supported by either Fanatec or Microsoft, so out of the box, they do not work with Forza, or any other Xbox racing game. A gentleman by the name of Jon, who has an extensive amount of skill and knowledge has created the SFA1 (shifter to Fanatec adapter) to allow users to have the luxury of using which ever shifter they wish while connected to a Fanatec wheel. And it works! So well in fact that I have two, one for each shifter.

Fanatec users will know, that Fanatec wheels only support one shifter attached to the wheel at a time, even though it supports both H-pattern and sequential shifters. Joh at Basherboards also came up with a solution for this problem as well. He ran off a limited run of shifter switches, which will allow a user to hook up both a Sequential and an H-pattern shifter to the wheel at once. With a flick of the switch you can choose which shifter you wish to use, with no cable swapping, or re-booting the wheel.

Bellow is a picture of the SFA1's and the shifter switch. I have used them allot, but took a picture without the cables while I am re working my rig layout. These things are amazing!

a716c398-de9d-4e37-a4d4-9706c961f665_zps35608ea5.jpg

TH8rs vs Fanatec shifter (stock)

s1.jpg

As I stated, the TH8rs is a wonderful shifter... But I don't generally stick with stock. Mr.Yip (YipZone) is a guy from Australia who has created a short shifter plate for the TH8rs, which is a nice piece of kit, and really shortens the throw. And not being satisfied with the terrible plastic shift knob that comes standard on the shifter I ordered a custom Hard Bar from Product Innovations LLC. Along with a little carbon fiber wrap (wood and pipe to create my own mount), and red Sugru, I came up with this...

MoreRig001_zps2516d01f.jpg

The DSD shifter is perfect out of the box. It feels REAL. It is stiff and gives a substantial THUNK when shifting. The only thing is attaching to my rig would require a lot of figuring out from my end. Luckily Fast Track Sims offers a great DSD Shifter Mount that has been designed to work on my race rig, The Obutto.

MoreRig003_zps78f86556.jpg

Last but not least I have added a second Buttkicker to my rig. One is attached to the left and one to the right side of my seat rails. The I hooked them up in sterio to my Xbox RCA outs. The effect now is much more pronounced and I also get sterio feedback. Hit the curb on the left wheel, and feel it on the left side of my body... It is great.

MoreRig006_zps47acc1be.jpg

Well that is all for now... And I will be doing some wood work to fiinnish of a platform to raise my rig of the floor, and add some more "Extra Features"... So stay tuned, and Happy Racing!

MoreRig005_zps0ed2702e.jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup, but I advice you to muont the BKG2 horizontally and not verticaly like you have them in the photo and FMS4?! WHY?!!
Really, switch to some more serioussimulator for pc like rfactor 2 or iRacing!

Great setup and photos! 👍 👍

Thanks Derek... And thanks for all the cool swag! 👍

That short shifter plate looks awesome.
Thanks, it took forever to cover correctly and the sugru was a pain. But I am happy with the results :sly:

Nice setup, but I advice you to muont the BKG2 horizontally and not verticaly like you have them in the photo and FMS4?! WHY?!!
Really, switch to some more serioussimulator for pc like rfactor 2 or iRacing!

BKG2's will be mounted horizontally with the next update. The setup is temporary, and I have some hardwood, metal and pipe to fabricate a plate that will work with my new platform. :)

As for why FM4? Why not? I have many friends that race, I have a good club, clean competative racing. I have raced on PC, and will be buying a new PC in the future to allow for the best possible graphics and performace with trips. But that does not mean I will not continue to race on Xbox with my friends... so why not? :odd:

Lookin' good bud :) I bet cable management is fun lol. I have cables ALL OVER the place :/

As usual, I always get a kick out of seeing my products in someone else's hands. Such a strange thing to see... Still.

Thank you for posting about that Sugru stuff, that looks pretty cool! I've never heard of it before...

As for what you race/play. Do what you have fun doing, that's all that matters... Not the equipment you use or the sim you play, it's about the enjoyment you get from it all. :) For you to post about it, you must be getting a lot of enjoyment out of it!

Lookin' good bud :) I bet cable management is fun lol. I have cables ALL OVER the place :/

As usual, I always get a kick out of seeing my products in someone else's hands. Such a strange thing to see... Still.

Thank you for posting about that Sugru stuff, that looks pretty cool! I've never heard of it before...

As for what you race/play. Do what you have fun doing, that's all that matters... Not the equipment you use or the sim you play, it's about the enjoyment you get from it all. :) For you to post about it, you must be getting a lot of enjoyment out of it!

Thanks MrBasher!
Your products are great, and I recomend them to EVERYONE. And yes cable management is a b*#ch! When I am done, both the SFA1s will be hidden, and only the switch will be visable. Hence why I took the photo before mounting them. :cheers:

Sugru is amazing. It starts out as a playdough like material, and once applied and left to cure for 24 hrs, it become rubber. I do not know how it will wear on the plate, but that is part of the joy of DIY... figuring stuff out (as you well know). At this stage it protects the shaft and allows for a more solid thunk when shifting. :cool:

As for my racing.... Yes, I love it. Seeing as Forza was my first real foray into racing, it holds a special part in my heart. I love iRacing but I will only go deeper when the time is right. ;)

I may buy an Xbox One and PS4, but not for racing. With the money I would spend on three consoles, I could build one hell of a PC. Especially since we just fininshed of my wife's student loans, no more car payments, and only my mortgage and RSP's left, I see one hell of a PC in my near future. :D:D:D

:D Thank you again for the kind words, and for all the support.

You are WAY further along than I when it comes to a rig. I don't dare even post a photo of mine, it's shameful. I mean, it's ok... But, it leaves a lot to be desired. I do have a lot more wires though... hehehehe

I think you are on the right track with PC but so far there is one thing that I haven't found on PC that fits what I see as a very specific need. Forza and GT5 fill that need for me. That is, pure street cars that you can just fiddle with and drive around. rFactor has it to a degree and I really love rFactor, especially mods like HistorX. However, it's not something you can just pop in and have a go, at least not the way you can with Forza and GT5.

Like I said, do what makes you happy. :)

Yes, I actually just wrote in another thread: "If all of us sim peeps could grow up and admit we're not grown ups, we'd be better off". I love a bit of good old fashioned condescension and elitism, but parading opinion as fact tends to make one appear as if they have something to prove other than merely the point that they claim is their focus.

It does indeed appear that your goal is enjoyment. Getting your hands "dirty" along the way, making mistakes, having light bulb moments, learning new stuff about stuff, it all adds to the enjoyment as well.

I put my hand up as another cable guy too. I tend to just grab cheap or free things that I can pull apart and put back together in a different way so it gets a bit messy compared to an accurately designed or consumer rig, but hey....

Just recently did a similar stereo tactile thing myself, and loving the results. Good work, and keep having fun!

Nice posters! I'm a big rotard and own a 1st gen. Rig is nice too. Especially for the size.

Last edited:
Thanks Publicsafety for sharing your rig build and look forward to seeing future updates.

Sugru! Just looked it up. Looks like something really handy to have around the house.

I hope Mr Basher will continue to weave his magic and make the upcoming Fanatec Clubsport shifter usable for those of us who don't have Fanatec wheels.

As for rigs, I don't have a rig but if I do ever get one, I'd lean towards the Obutto.

Well, over the weekend I ordered a PC.

i5-4670K processor
Asus Tuf Sabertooth z87 motherboard
Saphire Raedon HD 7950 3gb gpu
G.skill ripsaw x series (2x8mb) ram
Corsair 750w psu
Samsung dvd writer
2TB seagate hd
Samsung 840 pro 120gb ssd
Antec Eleven Hundred Gaming Series mid tower
Windows 8 64 bit

Last night I picked it up. Hopefully by the weekend I am able to set it up.

Maybe now I will be able to use that iRacing membership I have not used... LOL

Back