R.I.P. G25 Shifter

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 26 comments
Simcoeace
For the last few months I have had a problem with my G25 H-shifter "miss-shifting". It started with the shifter "jumping-out" of 5th gear into 3rd gear occasionally. Then it started momentarily shifting into 1st when shifting down from 3rd into 2nd. For the last couple of months I was forced to hold the shifter in 5th to keep it in gear.

In the last couple of days the problem has progressed to the point where the shifter is also jumping out of 6th on a regular basis & some of the other gears are not engaging properly either, which is now making driving competitively pretty much impossible.

I contacted Logitech by E mail 2 months ago to explain the problem. They responded immediately. After a few E mails back & forth they suggested that the shifter might need to be replaced:

"it does seem like a mechanical issue. Please note that the G25 racing wheel only comes with a limited one (1) year warranty period. If your wheel is within the warranty period, I will proceed with the replacement."

I replied saying that it was more than a year since I purchased the wheel (it was then about one year & 3 months). I then received this reply:

"the cable in G25 didn't get crimpled properly. This causes the wheel to get confused and sometimes puts you in the wrong gear. Shifter lost little bit of direction. This is a mechanical issue. Unfortunately, we do not sell replacement shifter

I truly apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for choosing Logitech. Have a great day ahead."

IE. THE PRODUCT IS FAULTY, BUT AS IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY WE WON'T REPLACE IT & WE WON'T SELL YOU A REPLACEMENT! Have a nice day. :)

Sounds like someone else is going to make the switch to fanatec. Logitech needs to understand that there are not a whole lot of people, willing to spend that much on a wheel. Most people who spend upward of 200$ on a steering wheel, is going to be involved in these types of forums. They should try and cater to their top of the line buyers a little better. If not word will get out.

Sounds like someone else is going to make the switch to fanatec. Logitech needs to understand that there are not a whole lot of people, willing to spend that much on a wheel. Most people who spend upward of 200$ on a steering wheel, is going to be involved in these types of forums. They should try and cater to their top of the line buyers a little better. If not word will get out.

That is exactly the point I have just made to them. Hopefully they will have a common-sense response.

Regardless of whether the Fanatec products prove to be better in the long run than Logitech's or not, they are definitely providing more flexible consumer options. They actually list the individual components for sale on their web site. At this point Logitech are saying: "you can't even BUY a replacement for a defective part"!

Mine had a similar problem. Fixed it myself with a soldering iron. I have to fix my R gear by myself but have been too lazy to do so.

oh no, please dont tell me i will be next. I'm experiencing the very same problem with engaging into 5th gear and then 1-2 secs later it jumps into neutral or 3rd. (with the gear lever still in 5th) "

I will try now to fix that issue, before it gets too bad and i have to contact logitech, and they will then reply me the same way

Chris

My shifter died within a week of purchase after normal use. Logitech was willing to send me a replacement, but I guess next time I'll have to open it and fix it myself. They aren't exactly vault-like.

However, when they sent me the replacement they sent me a whole G25 unit, so they really aren't kidding you about how they can't do individual pieces.

So you guys know, I beleive the problem are the potentiometers that determine where the stick is at. Mine was the bottom one were the plastic clip was broke. Just cut the wires and solder them straight to the metal sticks protruding out of the pot.

For reverse I believe it is the conector for the board. If that is true then the connector are the only things to worry about and are 90% of the time real easy fixes.

It seems like a ridiculous policy: before one year = you get a complete new G25, after one year = you can't get anything!

There doesn't seem to be any reasonable explanation for why they would not have the individual components available.

This seems likely to be a recurring problem - the response from Logitech seems to indicate they are aware of a manufacturing problem. I'm not sure if it is mechanical: the shifter does not physically stay in the correct position, or electrical: it doesn't maintain a clean contact.

IMO that's your fault man , you shoulda send it back when it was still under warranty!

I'm not too sure what this thread is about but logitech service is amazing,
don't come here and cry because it's your fault

IMO that's your fault man , you shoulda send it back when it was still under warranty!

If you're not sure what this thread is about please don't post nonsense in it. Try to read it carefully first. And if you still don't understand ... get help or give up trying.

What a remarkably stupid & pointless post.

If you had read the thread you would understand that it was not clear that the shifter was faulty before the warranty expired.

Regardless, it's not reasonable for a company to refuse to provide (sell) replacement parts when their products fail after the the warranty has expired. How would you feel if the transmission on your car broke down & the manufacturer told you you couldn't buy a new transmission, your only option would be to buy a new car!

Logitech's service has been very professional in the sense of responding promptly & politely to my E mails. Unfortunately, the response has been to communicate a company policy that is both unhelpful & IMO illogical.

Anyone who has read my posts on the G25 over the last year or so, would know that I have been very complimentary about the G25. However, should Logitech decide that they won't provide (sell) a replacement shifter, I would not even consider buying a new G25. I would look to Fanatec, who seem to offer a whole range of flexible options for purchasing components of their new wheel/shifter/pedal sets.

i wrote logitech, here's their reply, what do you think??

>Hello John,

Thank you for contacting Logitech Technical Support. My name is Matthews and I will be assisting you with Incident # 081116-001219.

John, I believe the issue you mentioned is quite rare as in a wide range of our gaming products there are only a very small percentage of it may be found defective. Also, we would be gladly to assist you in replacing the product.

Personally, I do use the G25 Racing Wheel and I am confident that the issue may occur in a very small percentage of possibilities.

Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be more than happy to assist you.<

i wrote logitech, here's their reply, what do you think??

>Hello John,

Thank you for contacting Logitech Technical Support. My name is Matthews and I will be assisting you with Incident # 081116-001219.

John, I believe the issue you mentioned is quite rare as in a wide range of our gaming products there are only a very small percentage of it may be found defective. Also, we would be gladly to assist you in replacing the product.

Personally, I do use the G25 Racing Wheel and I am confident that the issue may occur in a very small percentage of possibilities.

Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be more than happy to assist you.<

???

Who are you? What did you write to Logitech about? This is your first post!

I know the policy is dumb what i'm just saying is you should of send it back to warranty before the 1 year limit, you could always try getting a shifter on racesimcentral, ive seen a couple there last time i looked because my shifter also broke.

I'm thinking that the only possible explanation for Logitech's policy, is that they have a contract with a single manufacturer to supply complete G25 units with no provision for any extra components. That's why they are willing to replace a single defective part with a complete G25 set.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the wheel or pedals, so there must be a bunch of extra wheels & pedals out there, & a bunch of broken shifters! It's easy to see why the shifter would be the weak link in the system as it is by far the least robust component. I just wish they took the initiative to have some extra shifters made, or even better, a new & improved shifter unit.

For anyone who is still following this thread & still cares, here is an update on my shifter story.

Today I called Logitech to discuss the situation with a service rep. He repeated the company line that there are no separate shifters available from Logitech for the G25, & offered, if I sent in my shifter, a replacement G25 at 30% to 50% off. I explained to him why this made no sense - why give away, or sell cheap, a complete G25 unit when the only faulty part was the shifter. He more or less agreed with me, but could not explain why the company policy was set in this way. I got the impression he had faced this line of questioning before.

With nothing left to lose I decided to open up my shifter to see if I could "fix" it. A little bit fiddly, but not too hard to accomplish. If you think the shifter's a little flimsy on the outside, wait until you look at the inside! Bits of plastic held together by some screws & thin metal plates. The fact that the shifter works in both gated & sequential mode is a clever design, but further weakens the structural stability of the unit (I can see why Fanatec have opted for the less compact solution of two separate shifters for their system).

When you see the inside of the shifter, it's easy to understand how, with hours of pounding away with the shifter - much more shifting than you would be likely to do with a real car (unless you spend 2 or 3 hours a day at the track) - the unit would be likely to fail after a while. It's just not strong enough to take the use it's likely to receive over time.

It really wasn't obvious to me what I could do to try a fix my problem, so I just reassembled the shifter, hoping it would not wind up worse than before I took it apart. Firing up GT5P I turned on the G25 & ... lo-&-behold! The shifter, for the time being at least, seems to be working perfectly again! :cheers:

Even stranger, the FFB in GT5P, which I have long complained about being too weak, seems to be significantly stronger! :confused: (I'm pretty sure I'm not just imagining this.)

In conclusion: it seems pretty clear to me that the G25 shifter (the first "cheap" gated shifter out there) just isn't built to the same level of quality as the G25 wheel & pedals, & is unlikely to last, given the amount of abuse it receives from "normal" usage. I would hope that Logitech realises this, & is planning a new, improved & (presumably) more expensive gated shifter to include with the next version of the G25 wheel & (hopefully) as an add-on for existing G25 owners.

Even stranger, the FFB in GT5P, which I have long complained about being too weak, seems to be significantly stronger! :confused: (I'm pretty sure I'm not just imagining this.)

Good job there M8, with the shifter 👍 Stronger FFB now, that's very strange !!!

Stronger FFB now, that's very strange !!!

Hmm... now I'm not so sure about this. Maybe I am just imagining it, as I recently started driving the Elise tuned which has a very different feel from most other cars.

Interesting that you should say that about the FF.

Earlier today, before seeing your post, I fired up the PS3 for the first time in a while. Did the latest PS3 update then started GT5P and chose the Elise Tuned. I too felt that the G25's FF was stronger than I remembered. I even wondered if this was due to the update, but would have put it down to imagination and never have mentioned it if I hadn't seen your post.

But I'm pretty sure we're both just imagining it 👍

Some cars have stronger FFB than others, for example the F1 is SUPER strong and maybe a cappucino isn't.

Well, the only thing I can say, is I had been driving the Elise the day before I took apart the shifter. When I put it together again & fired up GT5P to see if the shifter was working OK, it immediately struck me that something felt different - the FFB felt stronger. But obviously, after driving for a while it became hard to remember what it felt like before.

For the last few months I have had a problem with my G25 H-shifter "miss-shifting". It started with the shifter "jumping-out" of 5th gear into 3rd gear occasionally. Then it started momentarily shifting into 1st when shifting down from 3rd into 2nd. For the last couple of months I was forced to hold the shifter in 5th to keep it in gear.

In the last couple of days the problem has progressed to the point where the shifter is also jumping out of 6th on a regular basis & some of the other gears are not engaging properly either, which is now making driving competitively pretty much impossible.

I contacted Logitech by E mail 2 months ago to explain the problem. They responded immediately. After a few E mails back & forth they suggested that the shifter might need to be replaced:

"it does seem like a mechanical issue. Please note that the G25 racing wheel only comes with a limited one (1) year warranty period. If your wheel is within the warranty period, I will proceed with the replacement."

I replied saying that it was more than a year since I purchased the wheel (it was then about one year & 3 months). I then received this reply:

"the cable in G25 didn't get crimpled properly. This causes the wheel to get confused and sometimes puts you in the wrong gear. Shifter lost little bit of direction. This is a mechanical issue. Unfortunately, we do not sell replacement shifter

I truly apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for choosing Logitech. Have a great day ahead."

IE. THE PRODUCT IS FAULTY, BUT AS IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY WE WON'T REPLACE IT & WE WON'T SELL YOU A REPLACEMENT! Have a nice day. :)

What you going to do man.. sucks.. but it's pure buisness.

What you going to do man.. sucks.. but it's pure buisness.

No it isn't! "Pure business" isn't giving away complete G25 replacement sets (under warranty) to customers who have a problem with only one component; it isn't offering complete G25 replacement sets (out of warranty), at a major discount to customers who have a problem with only one component; it isn't refusing to sell replacements for individual components that are faulty (out of warranty).

What would make business sense would be to manufacture some extra shifter units & have them available for sale, at a profitable price, to customers who have problems with them out of warranty. I don't know why Logitech wouldn't do that. I have since discovered, (thanks to a PM from Hun200kmh) that there is a vendor on Ebay offering separate G25 shifters for $29.99. Who knows where this vendor gets them from??? :odd:

Anyway, since I opened up the shifter & put it back together again, it has been working flawlessly, which suggests to me that there was some kind of problem with the mechanical alignment of the internal parts, which given the somewhat flimsy nature of the shifter internal parts, is not not that surprising. I wish I could tell you what I did to actually fix it - but I really have no idea. :confused:

Last edited:
hey guys I all so suffered the same problem with my shifter i can't even its not even detecting gears 1,3,5 anymore so i wanted to take the shifter apart and i couldn't anymore i tried to unscrew the the 6 allen keys that holds the shifter then I got to the last 2 bolts i couldn't unscrew them seems like i broke the edges off when i tighted the screw i couldn't even get into my shifter anymore does anyone know how to remove the broken allen screws that hold the shifter? sry for my bad english

Back