R2 trick in gt4?

• Thread starter Rebel51
  • 27 comments
i cant get this thread approved in gt4 forum so here it goes.
In gt3 if u were under automatic transmission you could hold onto r2 while you were accelerating. if you held onto r2 after it redlined it would shift whenever you let go of r2. This did not happen in gt1 or gt2 but i was wondering if it is in gt4.

Its not that big of a deal but im just curious.

Don't worry about it, we were all new at once. Any way I have a question, I know that it works with the DS2 but how about the DFP. It was a trick that my brother used alot and it really didn't make me happy, kinda cheating.

mclaren777
Wouldn't it just bounce off the rev limiter, though?

Yeah, of course. It's only a "trick" if you're using that icky automatic thing... It allows you get a teeny bit more out of each gear before it shifts, since you can often go at least 500-1000RPM into the redline before you hit the limiter.. a place automatic transmission never goes. If you use manual transmission (as any racer worth his salt will do), it doesn't matter, since you can do that anyway.

mclaren777
Wouldn't it just bounce off the rev limiter, though?
yes, but it allows you to run the car a little higher in the revs. also it will prevent downshifing if you need to say up a gear in a corner due to a loose rearend(that didn't sound right).

It works wonders in an automatic on courses such as Complex String. Take the "box" section for example. Most cars you want to be in 2nd through the whole section and if you allow the automatic transmission to shift it will drop in and out of first gear and perhaps bump into third causing you to loose multiple seconds in that one section alone.

Hey not sure if this is an or trick or not, and it's not TOO effective, but check it out:

When I need to downshift from 5 to 2 in a very high powered car, what I do is hold L2 (downshift) and while holding it down, press upshift; picture this - I'm going into a straight, release gas (x), slam the brakes (square), press and hold downshift (L2) and while it's held down, press upshift (R2) twice. This causes the gears to shift down a tad faster than pressing downshift 3 times.

Anyone else use this technique?

The Locust
Hey not sure if this is an or trick or not, and it's not TOO effective, but check it out:

When I need to downshift from 5 to 2 in a very high powered car, what I do is hold L2 (downshift) and while holding it down, press upshift; picture this - I'm going into a straight, release gas (x), slam the brakes (square), press and hold downshift (L2) and while it's held down, press upshift (R2) twice. This causes the gears to shift down a tad faster than pressing downshift 3 times.

Come again?

even tho i use manual i dont shift over the redline too much unless its a car i know i aint gonna be using alot in the future.

imagine donig a 24 hour race, if you didnt take care of the engine it'll be damaged & have lost power by the time youve finished. lol

[FPV]Rusty
imagine donig a 24 hour race, if you didnt take care of the engine it'll be damaged & have lost power by the time youve finished. lol

I'd guess that your oil would get dirty during a 24hr race so you'd lose power anyway...

redlining does not damage your engine. Only high milage and dirty oil will bring down your hp. There was a really good thread about it around here, the thread starter derived the formula to determine how they affect your hp, it was pretty cool.

Also: Giancarlo said "You shouldn't do it anyway. Your engine will lose power."

that is not true, in RL and gt3 in general it depends on the car. But, in gt3 most (~95%) of the cars had more power right at redline than if you shifter earlier. Only a few needed to be shifted early. (I hope in gt4 they get it more like real life, were many cars need to be shifter earlier than redline for best acceleration)

meister_dan
Come again?

Usually in a manual transmission in GT4, how would you downshift from 5th gear to 2nd gear? You would, while braking, press L2 three times, right? Try holding down L2 and pressing R2 twice; it does the same thing, but I guess is microseconds faster than releasing your finger from L2 only to press it and release and press it again.

Maybe?

Give it a try, you'll see what I mean.

It is more or less much faster than microseconds, and it really gives you control when you come out because the power is right there. Also just a side note, I read somewhere that some people were using that trick to downshift into neutral and then use a heel, toe type technique to go faster out of the turns, they may have been full of BS and I have never gotten to work but than again I'm not the best racer out there by far.

Has anyone heard of that?

I doubt that actually saves time; it's not like there's a neutral to go into inbetween gears. If anything it would be 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - N - 1 - 2 - ... Not 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - N(hold) - 2 - 3

not sure if you know what I mean, but eh... you know what I mean. =)

yea I know, but they said that using that trick with the R2, L2 buttons they could downshift and upshift fast enough where they could do it. Again don't hold me to it, I am looking for where I read it right now.

T100
Any way I have a question, I know that it works with the DS2 but how about the DFP.

When I used one of the full motion simulators at the chicago show, they had DFPs, but they said MT wasnt working, so I had to use AT, I tried that trick, but it didn't work... perhaps for the same reason that MT wouldn't work, but maybe not.

I don't like the manual thing anyway, so ill stick with automatic, the more concentration that you have will make up half a second maybe more, so it balances each other, also in long Endurance shifting is gonna be an hell!

Cosmic
Yes, that's what I was thinking.
It worked fine in GT4 Prologue.

So it was a lie when someone said that 2 of his engines lost power because of over-revving?

I need to make sure, because over-revving makes for much faster times.

I missed a gear using NOS and haven't noticed any power loss or oil leaks yet, :dopey: I've been trying for a month to Blow a engine, I think that was Bolony!

The Locust

I thought it was a bug. Never used this anymore since i developed other tecniques for myself.

Like making pressure on gas and brake 50/50. This makes a perfect stability on 4rd gear on curve after the straight on Apricot. For evos only.

Each car has a driving style. My hand positioning over DS changes when driving a Miata or a Lotus Espirit.

The trick is only useful on some cars. It depends on the powerband and wether or not the motor is continuing to make power past redline. Some cars actualy put down better times by shifting before hitting redline. For instance, the Panoz Esperante. Watch the mph as you're accelerating. The numbers increase rapidly in the lower rpms and taper off to a slow increase in the upper rpms. Alternately, look at the Spoon S2000. In the lower rpms, the increase is slower than the upper rpms.

In any case, manual shifting has always put down better times for me. I can hold a gear mid corner and don't have to worry about the transmission having it's own agenda. I can also have full control of what rev range the motor will operate in.

Back