Rally Cross in GT Sport?

• Thread starter RYAN
  • 13 comments
Wales
Caerphilly, SW
[-_-]MILO[-_-]
RYAN-31
What would people think about the inclusion of this? I know theres little chance it will happen but i think it would be a good addition.

We all know that GT's offroad physics leave a lot to be desired and most people rarely bother with the offroad courses in GTS but i think actual Rallycross could change that. Rallycross is currently in its strongest position since the glory days of the late 80's Early 90's when all the ex Group B monsters with Olle Arnesson, Martin Scanche, Pat Doran and Will Gollop in his awesome 6R4. Nowadays the cars are arguably even more crazy pushing in excess of 600Bhp where Will Gollops 6r4 would have been at about 420 that shows how serious Rallycross is at the moment.

Its being taken so seriously that prestigious Race tracks around the world are designing and building Rallycross layouts, Silverstone, Catalunya, Spa and most recently Even the Yas Marina curcuit in Abu Dhabi will be building a rallycross track. That shows how popular Rallycross is at the moment.

I think it could be a good addition to GTS, A slightly less serious matchmaking experience than sport mode but could be even more competitive. The Gr.B category in the game mimic Rallycross more than rally cars anyway. GTS's Offroad physics would be fine for short 60% road, 40% Dirt tracks and i think the racing would be brilliant.

What are other peoples thoughts?

The "RallyCross" in GTS is a rather age old rendition where its basically a circuit race but with dirt or snow surface.

Not the newer one with Joker lap.

I don’t think many people would look kindly at PD spending precious resources on creating new rally cross tracks and cars.

Plus, you can forget about any penalty system being able to judge what’s going on in such races.

There’s other games that will provide that for you. GTS doesn’t need to provide everything to everyone.

I think many folks hate the dirt handling anyway so its a niche of niche thing. Further if you want rally then the market is full of that stuff... the Dirt series? WRC6-7? Hell Microsoft were giving that stuff away with Xbox Live.

We also kind of know what's coming after these two updates... Formula E? Maybe Indycar Nascar? Supposedly DTM (I Dont beleive that).

Rally/rallycross is under a giant pile of stuff that they have on their plate.

I must be one of the few (few-ish?) people where the rally drive model "clicks" for me.

I understand and like the way they drive on dirt. On tarmac less so. I do get that many people hate the model for inaccuracies.

However they would need bring back the old dirt snow and alpine circuits. These three GTS dirt circuits are beyond terrible.... Fisherman's Bend? Ewww...

It would be nice if PD could patch in the ability to have a full grid of Gr.B cars or any other class for that matter on the dirt tracks. Having only one opponent is a complete waste.

While it's true that Rally is the unloved ugly child of the GT series, I think that its reputation of being awful stems from GT2 where it truly was awful, and obviously so when put up against CMR2. Regardless of what PD subsequently did with the off-road model this reputation remained.

Over the last couple of days I've been messing around with the Gr.B Scooby STI on the various dirt tracks and honestly having a lot of fun. I was quite surprised, given the reputation, in that I could take what techniques I'd learned in Dirt Rally 1 and WRC7 and directly apply them in GTS with predictable results. This says to me that the basis of the off-road model is more or less solid.

It's not without it's problems though as it seems that the default suspension setup for the Gr.B cars is way to stiff - this is apparent in the skittish behaviour of the cars, and very apparent in the replays where the car vibrates more than bounces. Whether this can be dialled out in the setup successfully I don't know - I'm not a tuner, but I may give it a go this weekend.

So from my point of view I wouldn't be averse to more rally content in GTS, but I am in agreement with those that say PD has more important things on their plate, especially when you consider that we're spoilt for dedicated rally titles at the moment.

Rallycross events would be great to blow off some steam after long track events, without having the fear of getting DSQ after a gentle nudge while attacking.

Back