• Thread starter DQuaN
  • 29 comments

DQuaN

Goat of the Year
Premium
United Kingdom
Ealing-London
Hi all,

So i'm going to upgrade the RAM in my PC. I'm unsure whether to leave the original RAM and add to it, or to replace it.

Currently I have 2GB of DDR PC2 6400. I am looking at buying 4GB of DDR2 PC2 6400. So with one being DDR2 and one being DDR, would they work ok together?

Basically what is better, mixing the two and having 6GB, or having 4GB of pure DDR2?

Ta

Dunc

*edit*
I think the Crucial website is lying to me! I thought I had DDR2. Anyone know of a tool that can interrogate my Mobo and tell me exactly what memory I have?

Last edited:
I think 4GB of DDR2 would be better as, correct me if I'm wrong, RAM is only as fast as the slowest stick.
Someone with considerably more knowledge than me will be along soon probably :lol:

Crucial is lying, I have Speccy installed and that tells me I'm running DDR2. Looks like I will add them together then. :)

Aldo hit the nail already.
It will run on the settings of the slowest stick.

If I were you i would buy the 4gb DDR2, and get the DDR out.
As they don't cost that much, that would be the ideal way

The best way to tell is to open you computer up and check it. Most motherboards label what type they use or check the RAM that is currently installed in your PC. If nothing directly tells you what it is then count the pins, DDR - 184pins, DDR2 - 240pins.

Also to answer a previous question, as long as the new RAM is the same standard and speed it should match up.

I have 6GB DDR2 and would like to change the RAM to 6 or 8 GB DDR3! The question is, how do i know my motherboard can handle it?

I have 6GB DDR2 and would like to change the RAM to 6 or 8 GB DDR3! The question is, how do i know my motherboard can handle it?
You can't add DDR3 ram to a DDR2 MB unless you have a hybrid MB that supports both types. Gigabyte made a couple P35 and P45 mbs that had 4 DDR2 slots and 2 DDR3 slots. I own one. I've only used DDR2 ram in it. You can't use both at the same time. Like this board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128048

You can only do up to 8GB of DDR2. If you even tried using DDR3 it would not work.

You can't add DDR3 ram to a DDR2 MB unless you have a hybrid MB that supports both types. Gigabyte made a couple P35 and P45 mbs that had 4 DDR2 slots and 2 DDR3 slots. I own one. I've only used DDR2 ram in it. You can't use both at the same time. Like this board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128048

You can only do up to 8GB of DDR2. If you even tried using DDR3 it would not work.

Thanks guys! Maybe id better buy another motherboard right? DDR4 is almost here... my ideia is at least to have DDR3 :lol:!

Last edited:
Yes you can add the 4GB to the 2GB to make 6GB of RAM. You will experience little to none loss in speed since the speed is the same and timing may be different.

Im no expert as you can see:P, but i think they wont work togheter! Im not sure if diferent RAMs even can work togheter...

Different RAM can work together, as long as it is the same type. If it isn't the same speed it will run at the speed of the slowest module, as stated above. I'm wondering if a difference in timings will cause problems.

Yes you can add the 4GB to the 2GB to make 6GB of RAM. You will experience little to none loss in speed since the speed is the same and timing may be different.

Cool thanks. I suppose I can always experiment with and without and see what works best.

Different RAM can work together, as long as it is the same type. If it isn't the same speed it will run at the speed of the slowest module, as stated above. I'm wondering if a difference in timings will cause problems.

Thats what i meant, if DDR2 worked with DDR3 all togheter! I had that ideia (would run at the speed of the lowest)! 👍

DL and run this program.
CPUZ http://majorgeeks.com/CPU-Z_d425.html
It will tell you what ram you have installed and what its running at.

Thanks i have that one too! We have the same CPU:D! But mine is still working on 2.83Ghz...

Last edited:
Hijacker!

Ok, can anyone answer my question?

The voltage, latency and speed have to be the same for all RAM modules installed in a machine. You can't set it independently. You really should get RAM that is very similar, if not identical, if you want to eliminate any problems, also if possible, try not to run different memory in Dual Channel configurations.

To be honest, RAM is pretty cheap these days and in my opinion it'd be worth throwing away the 2GB and just buying 2 x 4GB sticks if you're looking at having 6GB+.

Standard voltages between RAM nowadays are pretty similar. It is possible to run two sticks of RAM with different timings. I ran 2 sticks of low-latency Corsair along with 2 sticks of no-name higher latency RAM together on my desktop for 2 years without any trouble. However, they were the same speed; if you run different speed RAM, I think the RAM defaults to the lowest speed.

Casio's suggestions are pretty spot on though, it'll probably be easier and safer to run 4gb of RAM, but have the sticks be identical. You'll get dual channel this way and the two identical sticks will probably be slightly faster at the expense of decrease RAM memory capacity.

I think they are very similar. My RAM as stated above is 5-5-5-18, the RAM I am looking at buying doesn't go into detail but is CL=5 which is very similar.

How about just trying it and see what happens? If it works, great; you now have 6 GB. If not, pull the old 2GB out. Might be a good idea to grab a copy of memtest86 or some such while you're at it.

Standard voltages between RAM nowadays are pretty similar. It is possible to run two sticks of RAM with different timings. I ran 2 sticks of low-latency Corsair along with 2 sticks of no-name higher latency RAM together on my desktop for 2 years without any trouble. However, they were the same speed; if you run different speed RAM, I think the RAM defaults to the lowest speed.

Casio's suggestions are pretty spot on though, it'll probably be easier and safer to run 4gb of RAM, but have the sticks be identical. You'll get dual channel this way and the two identical sticks will probably be slightly faster at the expense of decrease RAM memory capacity.

Crash is right, the advertised voltage, timings, and speed really don't mean much and you can run mismatched sets with no problems.

If you have an Intel system you want to stay with 2 or 4 sticks of a matched size however to take advantage of running them in dual channel; if you have an AMD :ouch: system it doesn't matter.

Having matched up RAM is important if you want to take advantage of faster RAM. I only consider checking the speed of the RAM and then I make my selection.

RAM does the same thing in an AMD system and in a Intel system(same old theories still apply where the faster ram will slow down to the other RAM speed). With what DQuaN has it's best to run the 2GB(2x1GB) sticks in dual channel and then the 4GB(2x2GB) sticks in dual channel for best results.

Having matched up RAM is important if you want to take advantage of faster RAM. I only consider checking the speed of the RAM and then I make my selection.

RAM does the same thing in an AMD system and in a Intel system(same old theories still apply where the faster ram will slow down to the other RAM speed). With what DQuaN has it's best to run the 2GB(2x1GB) sticks in dual channel and then the 4GB(2x2GB) sticks in dual channel for best results.

That's the plan. 👍

Well, almost...... AMD doesn't have "dual channel", you can run 3 sticks in an AMD with no loss in performance. The memory controller in an AMD system is built in to the CPU die, with Intel it's controlled by the northbridge chipset on the motherboard.

Rated ram speed/timings are meaningless. Those settings can all be changed in the bios on any decent motherboard. I do a lot of overclocking/benchmarking with LN2 and the fastest DDR2 ram I've ever owned is only rated as PC5300, it will run faster and with tighter timings than any "high speed rated" ram I've ever seen.

Just to put this to bed, which will give the best perfomance?

4GB of PC8500 or 6GB of PC6400?

The 4GB should be faster but you can always run the 6GB and see if the speed loss is worth it. Most of the time you only need 4GB.

Back