Rare auction @ Ferrari including '70 512S, '97 & '06 F1 cars, '62 330 TRI/LM!!!!!!!!!

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
RM Auctions will be having their "Leggenda e Passione" auction event on May 20, 2007 at Ferrari's headquarters in Maranello. As expected it will primarily feature rare Ferraris, but there will be some excellent early Alfa Romeos mixed in.

The highlight of the auction though will certainly be Luigi Chinetti's N.A.R.T. 1970 Ferrari 512 S (Chassis 1006) which came in second at the 1971 24-Hours of Daytona. The 512 S has often been referred to as being the most aggressive sports car ever produced by Ferrari and was certainly the fastest. It has no reserve, but I suspect it will sell for over $3 million.

Up for auction will also be Michael Schumacher's famous '97 Ferrari F310B F1 Car (chassis 175), the same car that won the Monaco Grand Prix giving Ferrari its first win there in over 15 years.

A more recent offering from Ferrari's stable of famous race cars is their '06 430GT (chassis 2426), the same car that won the 2006 FIA GT2 World Championship.

Some other featured cars that will be up for auction include; a '53 Ferrari 340MM Touring Spyder (chassis 0268AM) and one of only two spyders, and the only one with original bodywork; a very rare '66 Ferrari Dino 206 SP (chassis 008); and a highly desirable '66 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 (chassis 9803).

This should make for a legendary auction!

I'm not so sure about how well the 512S will do, simply because the 512S actually has a poor reputation amongst tifosi as it was a losing effort.

Initially, in 1969 when the new displacement regulations came into effect, Enzo had decided to concentrate on the 3.0L Prototypes instead of the 5.0L Sports Car (mostly because of the required production run rules). As such, using his F1 V12, the Scuderia debuted the gorgeous and wickedly fast 312P (not to be confused with the much later 312PB).

1049-1.jpg

The car was quick but fragile, dominating the Prototype class, but slower than the 917's of the Sports Car class. Enzo very quickly set about a sports car of his own, which became the 512S. Unfortunately, the 512S turned out to be significantly heavier than the 917. In fact, it was a full 100kilos heavier! However, it's handling was much much better than the Porsche, which became the car's saving grace in the 1970 running of the Targa Florio.

Ultimately, the 512S's would score only one win in their factory career before being swept aside for the overhauled 512M's; the 1970 Sebring 12 Hours in the hands of the immortal Mario Andretti.

2181-1.jpg

(interestingly enough, this is the 512S that will be crossing the block as it sat in 2005 at the RM Monterey Sports and Classic Car auction, where it sold for 2 million dollars).

Now, were it one of the considerably more successful 512M's - especially the revered Mark Donohue/David Hobbs 1971 Penske Sunoco car, you'd see a price tag north of $10,000,000.

152-7.jpg

Great info and pics Layla's Keeper.

Very cool. Sounds like a Jim Glickenhaus heaven.
Very true! I suspect many of the top Ferrari collectors will be in attendance, like Yojiro Matsuda, Jon Shirley, Ralph Lauren, Michel Hommell, Frederico Kroymans, Peter Kalikow, Bruce Trenery, among others.

Although I seriously doubt that Charlie Brocket will be allowed to attend in person, I would not be surprised if he places some phone-in bids considering his passion for Ferraris and his rebuilt reputation and wealth.

Who knows, maybe even Los Angelino (Tony) Parravano, once the owner of the largest collection of Ferraris and Maseratis in the world will make an appearance... of course it would be his first in fifty years since he "disappeared". ;)

Although I seriously doubt that Charlie Brocket will be allowed to attend in person, I would not be surprised if he places some phone-in bids considering his passion for Ferraris and his rebuilt reputation and wealth.

Is he really that shunned in the automotive world?

I got a tip from Wayne Carini that a '68 Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale may make a surprise appearance on the auction block. If so this would be quite unprecedented, as the last time one ever came up for auction was more than ten years ago.

1968_33_Stradale_01.jpg

1968_33_Stradale_02.jpg

The Stradale was the road car version of the famous Autodelta Alfa Romeo T33 racing car designed, engineered, and built by Scaglione, Marazzi, and Chiti. The Stradale has often been considered to be the first production car to ever use butterfly doors. Less than 20 were ever built and only 13 are known to still exist, half of which are in museums the others are with collectors.

As a matter of fact, one of them is owned by Alfa Romeo and will be temporarily leaving their museum in Arese to lead this year's historic Coppa Milano-Sanremo rally. Joining it will also be a few multi-million dollar Alfa 8C's in honor of the rebirth of the 8C brand of high performance Alfa sports cars.

Besides the 33 Stradale's striking body and chassis, Chiti's brilliantly designed fuel injected 2.0 liter V8 engine is a true marvel of engineering, and red lined at an unbelievable 10,000 RPM producing 250 horses. Combined with Colotti's remarkable six-speed transaxle gear box, and weighing only 1,500 lbs this car could reach 60mph in just 6 seconds and top out at 175 mph. At that time they were the most expensive road cars ever sold at about $17,000.

While not nearly as valuable as the Ferrari 512 S, if an Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale really does show up, it should get a very good price!

The line-up for this auction not only continues to grow, but now includes even more impressive additions.

In addition to Schumacher's '97 F1 car, Scuderia Ferrari have now added to the auction block Massa's F1 ride from last year, the 2006 Ferrari 248 F1 (chassis 252) powered by Ferrari's ~800bhp 2.4 liter V8 engine (No. 056), which amazingly weighs less than 100kg!

As is customary with Ferrari, the person who purchases this car will also get the following:
  • Dinner with the entire Ferrari F1 Clienti Team
  • Official Delivery Ceremony the next morning
  • Technical Briefing with the Clienti Team
  • On-track morning sessions in a Corsa Pilota car on Ferrari's Fiorano test track
  • One Hour Break for Lunch with the Team
  • On-track afternoon sessions in the F1 car on Ferrari's Fiorano test track
  • All of these activities will be filmed, and a copy will be given to the new owner.
  • In addition, they will get a custom Ferrari F1 racing suit, including gloves & shoes.
  • Finally, they will also get full support from the Clienti Team for the first year of ownership.
Ferrari certainly knows how to put together a tempting package! :)

Additional cars added to the auction block coming from Ferrari's racing stables...
  • A 1953 Ferrari 340 MM Competition Spyder (chassis 0268 AM), who's estimated valued is around $3 million.

• A 1953 Ferrari 340/375 MM Berlinetta Competizione (chassis 0322 AM), who's estimated valued is over $4 million.

• A 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione (chassis 2209 GT), who's estimated valued is around $3 million.

• A 1966 Ferrari Dino 206 Sports Prototype (chassis 008), who's estimated value is close to $3 million.
But I saved the best for last...

To the shock and surprise among the world of car collectors, they just added perhaps the most famous Ferrari of all time...
  • The 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa Spyder (chassis 0808), who's estimated value is around $10 million!
This was the last Testa Rossa built, the last front-engine racing car from Ferrari, and the only 4-liter TR ever built. Its Lampredi V12 engine was a marvel of engineering at the time.

This car went on to win the 24hr Le Mans, and was the last front-engined car to ever win Le Mans. It was also Phil Hill's third Le Mans victory.

Needles to say, this car has an amazing history behind it, and I envy the eventual winner of the auction!

Besides the 33 Stradale's striking body and chassis, Chiti's brilliantly designed fuel injected 2.0 liter V8 engine is a true marvel of engineering, and red lined at an unbelievable 10,000 RPM producing 250 horses.

Holy smokes, that should sound awesome... But seriously, the car kicks ass. Looks beautiful, goes like stink, and damn, what an engine! If I had to pick one car, I'm serious about choosing this one over the Ferraris.

The highlight of the auction though will certainly be Luigi Chinetti's N.A.R.T. 1970 Ferrari 512 S (Chassis 1006) which came in second at the 1971 24-Hours of Daytona. The 512 S has often been referred to as being the most aggressive sports car ever produced by Ferrari and was certainly the fastest. It has no reserve, but I suspect it will sell for over $3 million.
I'm not so sure about how well the 512S will do, simply because the 512S actually has a poor reputation amongst tifosi as it was a losing effort.
$3.6 Million, a new record. :)

But it was hardly the highlight of the auction, of which there were many!!!!

There were all sorts of records broken during the auction, and while the "0808" ('62 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa Spyder) did not quite reach the $10 million mark, it did sell for $9.3 million and break several auction records. In fact, this same very car sold at auction just five years earlier for $6.5 million.

Lots more interesting things happened at the auction... when I get the time I'll post them here.

I forgot about this thread, only to be reminded of it when I saw that on Speed TV, they are now showing a multi-part series specifically about the auction intermixed with some really nice stories about thee cars and the history of Ferrari. If you get SPEED TV, definitely look it up!

The series is called Ferrari Legends & Passions and is hosted by Alain de Cadenet who also hosts the popular series, Victory By Design, which documents the history of some of the most famous automobile manufacturers, cars, and drivers in the world.

Some of the episodes from that series are also available on DVD. 👍

Back