RCKakashi14's GT7 Racing Stories: Chevalier Act 8 - Intrusion

Act 3 - Obligations

Time: 11 am

Meanwhile, in Alpine's headquarters in France, a meeting is also underway. Preparations are done round the clock, as the 24 hour endurance race is a mere two weeks away.

Alphonse, Louis, and Pierre are in the board room. Alphonse is checking on his social media accounts in his phone, Pierre merely plays with his cap and Louis just crosses his arms in wait.

"Time sure does go fast. But not in waiting like this." Alphonse remarked.

"Ah... they will come." Louis replied.

And then the rest came. Alphonse is taken by surprise, by the arrival of Noel Chevalier along with Hugo Deschamps.

"Pardon us for being late." Noel said.

Louis keeps his nonchalant expression, and instead just straightens his seating posture as the meeting begins.

Noel approaches Alphonse, and places his hand on the young man's shoulder.

"How you've been? I hope you are doing okay." Noel said.

"Uh... I'm doing fine, monsieur. To be honest, I'm excited and nervous at the same time." Alphonse replied.

"You don't have to worry about a thing, since I will be your teammate in the race. All you need to do is... race." Noel said.

Louis clenches his right fist, something that Hugo observed.

Noel then returns to his seat, smiling and looking at his son. Finally, the rest of the 24 hour endurance team arrive in the room.
One of them prepares the presentation to be displayed via the projector.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you all for arriving, and of course we must also thank the presence of both Pierre Gasly and Noel Chevalier who will join us."

The team applauds. Noel then takes the floor.

"Thank you. I am honored to be part of your glorious quest. I am aware of your recent struggles, and we hope that our participation will yield positive results that will encourage the entire company to set into new heights. Let me assure you, that my position as the president of the FIA will hold no bearing on the results. I will participate as a race car driver. So, let us all work together in order to achieve Alpine's possible first victory in the Nurburgring 24 hours. It's a gamble, in my honest opinion, but as long as our minds and hearts are in the right place, then we will be victorious." Noel said.

Another applause ensues. Noel briefly looks at the smiling Alphonse, but then shifts back to the audience.

"I would also like to thank Pierre Gasly for joining us. It is an honor to be part of the team. And of course, the other drivers, Hugo Deschamps, and Alphonse Blanchard." Noel added.

"Now, let us focus on the race itself. It is just two weeks away, and I assume everyone is prepared, no?" Noel asked.

"Monsieur, all the spare parts are accounted for. Tires were inspected and are in their best condition. The twin turbo V6 engine was also personally inspected by NISMO's engineers themselves and necessary modifications were made to ensure longevity. Outside the race matters, social media personnel are ready and security in the paddock is ensured. Sleeping quarters similar to the F1 team will also be available on that race. By tomorrow, we will already be on our way to the Nurburgring, to set up our paddock. Weather is forecasted to have overcast skies, with a large possibility of rain and fog on the race itself." the chief engineer replied.

"Very good. And as the FIA president, I will also ensure that every race team will have top notch security and contingency measures are already taken care of. It will be my responsibility to make sure that the race will have no untoward incidents, despite me being behind the wheel." Noel said.

After an hour of detailed discussions regarding the race proper, everyone is dismissed. Gasly bids goodbye, and Hugo is instructed by Noel to prepare the car.

"Alphonse, go ahead and get in my car. I want to speak with monsieur Cheavlier for a moment." Louis said.

"Oh okay. I'll also turn the engine on and airconditioning." Alphonse replied.

"You do that." Louis replied with a smile.

Now that Noel and Louis are alone in the hallway, the latter's happy face turns into a somber one.

"Is something the matter, monsieur Montagny?" Noel asked.

"I.... know... what you did." Louis said.

"Huh? I did what?" Noel asked, taken aback by Louis' scowl.

"Oh don't play coy. I don't care if you're the FIA president, but you have a MUCH LARGER obligation. You are now a father, aren't you?" Louis replied.

Noel then froze.

"Let me just tell you a short story. Olivia died from childbirth giving life to your son Alphonse. I met Alphonse when he was just 7, very eager to join karting and even tried his very best to convince his grandparents despite their limited finances. They relented and put faith on him. I saw a lot of potential from him, and decided that I will personally raise him, with the approval of his grandparents. I acted as a father, brother and a mentor to him. Where were you? Philandering? Setting your eyes on another prized possession? And you know what? He wasn't even a least bit interested in knowing about his father. All he knows so far is the fate of his mother, and came to accept that.

You can be the daddy dearest for all I care. But don't you... ever... dare lay a finger on Alphonse. And if I ever found out that he got hurt because of you, I will relinquish all my respect I have for you and make sure that hell will be raised, even if that means me going to prison.

YOU CAN COUNT ON THAT. It's not a threat. It's a PROMISE."

Louis then breathes out a sigh, and then walks away leaving a gasping and shaking Noel, a rare reaction coming from an esteemed member of the elite.

**********************************************************************************************

Time: 1 pm

Over to Unicorn Media, Barry had just finished his lunch, and went straight to his cubicle, as he has an article to finish before he can focus on the race.

Just as he is to lay his fingers on the keyboard, his phone rings. It's his wife, Sarah, calling all the way from their home in London.

"Hello?" Barry said.

"Hey, Barry, are you busy?" Sarah asked.

"Uh... I'm actually about to submit my article, but I can spare some time." Barry replied.

"Don't worry, it will be brief." Sarah said sheepishly.

"What's wrong? You sound weak... are you sick?" Barry asked.

"I'm just feeling a bit dizzy lately, and then I had to go to the hospital." Sarah replied.

"And... what did the doctor say?" Barry asked.

"Gynecologist. Luca will have a baby brother or sister." Sarah replied with a happier tone.

Barry smiles upon hearing the good news.

"Haha, that's wonderful! I can't wait to go back home after the race." Barry replied.

"Just focus on winning it, okay? You don't have to worry about me. Luca is very happy too. Oh, he is also looking into entering in a karting school. I thought that we have to wait for you since you are an expert on those things." Sarah said.

"You'd better start looking already. Then let me know the options, okay? Just take it easy this time around." Barry replied.

"I will. We will also watch you at home. Good luck. I love you." Sarah said.

"I love you too." Barry replied.

The call ends. Barry shows a big grin, then finally he can start typing. His article is quite overdue...

********************************************************************************************************

Time: 2 pm, two weeks later

Race week is on. And although the race itself will take place on Saturday until Sunday, this Thursday is the qualifying session. Even then, there is already a humongous attendance of race fans, more than double of last year.

The racing teams are working all day, starting from the very early morning for preparations.

Alphonse is at the fan zone, and is somewhat overwhelmed by the number of fans. Him signing autographs never seems to cease.

"I'm THIS famous now?!" Alphonse wondered as he keeps on signing using a permanent marker. Pierre obviously has more fans due to his higher status as an F1 driver.

When an opportunity arises to take a breather, Alphonse takes it. He breathes out a sigh and takes a seat.

And then of course, Giacomo arrives.

"You won't give me an autograph?" Giacomo asked.

Hearing that familiar Italian accent, Alphonse smilingly looks up.

"Jacques!" Alphonse exclaimed and then proceeds to give a brotherly hug.

"I miss you, Alfonso! So, we are going to play again?" Giacomo asked.

"Of course. And this time around, I won't lose here. Hehehe." Alphonse replied.

"I'm counting on that." Giacomo said. Then he breathes a sigh.

"Eh? What's wrong?" Alphonse asked.

"Ah... just looking at the Aston Martin Racing team over there." Giacomo replied, pointing his thumb at the people behind him. Alphonse peeks out, and his eyes widened upon seeing familiar faces.

"Se... Sebastian Vettel, Lance Stroll, Jason Plato.... and FERNANDO ALONSO?! You've got to be kidding!" Alphonse exclaimed.

"You've got an F1 driver in your team, and so do mine. But those three? There's a lot of tension and excitement right now." Giacomo replied. "This is projected to be the most-viewed in the history of all the Nurburgring 24 hour races. Even today, the livestream views have already hit millions before the qualifying begins."

Pit Garage_.jpeg

"I'm... going to drive today's qualifying." Alphonse said, quickly turning his reaction to disbelief.

"We can't act like babies anymore. We can't go down a notch. Accept the fact that we are on the much bigger world of racing." Giacomo replied.

Then Alphonse is ordered to return to Alpine's paddock for a brief orientation before the qualifying session begins.

"There will be just three laps. First will be the warm up, and then the next two will be the flying laps, the only opportunities for us to set the quickest lap time. Alphonse here will be the one running today." Noel said.

But upon learning the competition earlier, Alphonse is clouded with too much anxiety, that he can't even respond.

"Are you okay?" Louis asked.

"Uh... yes. Sorry, I just looked at all the cars that will join today. I was so shocked." Alphonse replied.

"Don't let us intimidate you. We F1 drivers are only serious once we get behind the wheel. Off the track, we are just relaxed and friendly." Pierre said.

After that brief meeting, Alphonse returns to his quarters. He suddenly feels a gush of heat in his body, and then his stomach churns.

"Ooh... I think I ate something bad." Alphonse said.

He quickly rushes to Louis who is on the reception area of Alpine's paddock.

"Monsieur, I don't feel good. My stomach hurts. I think this is from something I ate last night." Alphonse said.

"Oh no. Qualifying starts in a few minutes." Louis said.

Noel also happens to be in the same place, speaking to the journalists. But he manages to hear Alphonse's complaints. He immediately excuses himself and rushes over to his son's side.

"Are you okay? If you don't feel well, then we will let Gasly do the qualifying." Noel said.

"I'm sorry, but I can't race like this." Alphonse replied.

"Don't apologize for that. Get all the rest you need for the race weekend. You can count on Gasly." Noel said.

Pierre was then summoned. He then suits up and readies himself as if it's a routine for him.

Alphonse then looks at Pierre, in full race gear. The young man then extends his fist, in which Pierre reciprocates by fist bumping.

"I'm sorry. I'm supposed to run, but..." Alphonse said.

"Don't worry. Just rest up. I'll be on full gas." Pierre replied with a smile.

The cars then get out one by one from the pit lane, with a certain gap placed between them in order for them to qualify safely.

It's now Gasly's turn. He goes on full throttle upon exiting the pit lane.

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

Not too far behind is Fernando Alonso.

"Seeing that familiar shade of blue in front of me... makes my blood boil." Alonso said.

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

It's just the warm up lap, and tension has already risen to its highest level. The crowds are already cheering wildly, especially the F1 fans who are also gathered to show support to their idols.

End of Act 3

Last edited:
Act 4 - Full Gas (Part 1)

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

The qualifying session begins. Even though it's just the warm up lap, tensions have already been set at its highest. Formula 1 drivers give their best shots as if they were piloting their open wheeled machines.

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

And it's also an opportunity for Anthony Argyros to prove himself on a much bigger stage.

Nürburgring 24h__2.jpeg

Andretti Motorsport makes its intentions very loud and clear - that they will take on the world regardless on what obstacle they would face down the road.

Meanwhile, Barry R. braves through the lower class, production specification category.

Nürburgring 24h__3.jpeg

Gasly is immediately caught in between the bout of Ferrari and McLaren.

Nürburgring 24h__4.jpeg

Owen Hatch, the driver of the P1 GTR, overshoots in the chicane.

Nürburgring 24h__5.jpeg

Gasly's reflexes stemmed from his experiences in F1 sure came in handy.

Nürburgring 24h__6.jpeg

"McLaren lost control. No damage reported on my end." Pierre said over the radio.

Back in to Alpine's motorhome paddock, Alphonse is watching Pierre's in-cam footage in his quarters, sitting on his bed. He is mesmerized at the sheer precision displayed by the F1 driver, hitting every apex.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240831193157.jpg

But then that awe quickly turned into somber and doubt.

"If I'd been there, would I be even able to inch closer to Giacomo? Am I up to par? Am I... actually prepared for this giant battlefield?" Alphonse mused.

Suddenly, Noel enters, holding a pack of medicine that he acquired from the team's medical crew.

"Alphonse, the doctors told me to give you these. Just take them three times a day. Should be enough until Saturday." Noel said.

Alphonse looks at Noel and takes the meds.

"Oh... thank you, Monsieur." Alphonse said.

Noel notices the rather gloomy expression.

"I can tell you feel bad for not driving this qualifying. These things happen." Noel said.

"To be honest, sir... I'm actually in doubt." Alphonse replied.

"In doubt? Why so?" Noel asked.

"I am now in a much bigger world of racing. I'm going to see these faces more often. More eyes are on to me. Sometimes I'm thinking if I am up to this challenge... or not." Alphonse replied.

Noel crouches down beside Alphonse's bed and lays his hand on the young man's shoulder.

"What you are feeling? That's normal. It's not just in the racing world. That's life in general. When you move up, so does the hurdles. But if you keep in believing and trusting yourself, you will cross over them. Life is not actually a race. Ironic, isn't it? Race car drivers like us think that we should always keep up, but we fail to realize that if you set a pace much faster than you can muster, you'll end up tripping... or crashing instead of overtaking. So... control your pace, just like in driving. It applies to life too." Noel explained.

He then stands up, looking at the race footage on the screen.

"Clear your mind and rest well... mon ami." Noel said, smiling. Then he leaves, closes the door. For a brief moment, his hand grips the handle ever so tightly, shaking. Noel breathes out a sigh, and then sprints down the staircase.

And on to Giacomo Marelli...

Nürburgring 24h__7.jpeg

He sees the R.S.01 closing in. He puts up a grin, and clenches the steering wheel tightly.

"This is just the warm up lap, Alfonso. Don't be too hot." Giacomo said.

Hearing this over the radio, his strategist De Luca then responds, "That's not Alphonse, I'm afraid."

Nürburgring 24h__8.jpeg

"Huh? Then who is the one driving? What happened to Alfonso?" Giacomo asked, while he shuts the door as his defense.

Nürburgring 24h__9.jpeg

"That's... Pierre Gasly. Alphonse got sick and they had to change at the last minute." De Luca replied.

"Pierre Gasly?! Heh, that's a very nice move for the Alpine team." Giacomo said.

Nürburgring 24h__10.jpeg

Approaching the Aremberg, Gasly takes advantage of the R.S.01's lighter weight to brake late.

Music: FACE DOWN - Hotblade

Nürburgring 24h__11.jpeg

Easily swoops past by.

"Hey hey. This is just qualifying... but..." Giacomo remarked. "I guess F1 drivers treat this as a routine of sorts."

Nürburgring 24h__12.jpeg

The Ferrari FXX-K's hybrid system gains an edge on the corner exits, allowing to shorten the gap.

Nürburgring 24h__13.jpeg

Meanwhile, Takanori is somehow enjoying this, especially when chasing someone as legendary as Fernando Alonso.

"I know this car is in a lower class. But I didn't come here to play either." Takanori thought.

Nürburgring 24h__14.jpeg

"Dream Alliance Japan is back. I'm doing this for the drivers who want to continue pursuing their dreams. This is their grand opportunity." he added.

Not too far behind is Team Neo, with the AMG GT3 piloted by Dave Lempel.

Nürburgring 24h__15.jpeg

"Major players came here. Heh, now that's the kind of fun I am expecting." Dave thought.

Nürburgring 24h__16.jpeg

And then from the Red Bull Ford Powertrains team, Mike is easing up pace on the warm up lap.

"Let the fools play around. I will unleash everything on the flying laps." Mike thought.

Going past Kesselchen, the Ferrari's abundance of power allows it to get closer to the R.S.01.

Nürburgring 24h__17.jpeg

However, on the Klostertal, the Renault's downforce negates the Ferrari's efforts.

Nürburgring 24h__18.jpeg

"Hey... pipe down, can you? This is just the warm up lap. You F1 drivers take everything seriously." Giacomo thought, still being intimidated by Pierre Gasly's pace.

Past the Karrusell, Giacomo sees the R.S.01 fleeting away.

Nürburgring 24h__19.jpeg

"Ah, dio mio! Give me a break."
Giacomo thought.

Nürburgring 24h__20.jpeg

Owen decides to lighten up first, seeing how dangerous the Nordschleife is on a high-powered vehicle.

Nürburgring 24h__21.jpeg

"I'm glad to have made the mistake on the GP section, at least. But I have to get past these clowns if I am to set up a bloody good time! There are F1 drivers here, for crying out loud." Owen thought.

And on to Barry's end, he sees an accident unfold.

Nürburgring 24h__22.jpeg

But of course, his wealth of experience under the tutelage of Jenson Button prepared him for even the worst.

Nürburgring 24h__23.jpeg

Giacomo now settles in the reality that things will be much.. much more grueling.

Nürburgring 24h__24.jpeg

"Welcome to the real racing world, Giacomo. It's going to be a norm to be outpaced by an F1 driver..." he thought.

Nürburgring 24h__25.jpeg

Gran Turismo® 7_20240831195013.jpg

However...

Nürburgring 24h__26.jpeg

"If that's going to be the way things will roll from now on, then bring it! I am not even a bit intimidated. I don't care if you're Alonso, Gasly, or even Verstappen. I WELCOME THE NEW CHALLENGE!" he added. The tiny flame that lit in his heart has turned into an ember.

Gasly has now cleared the warm up lap.

Nürburgring 24h__27.jpeg

"Okay Gasly, your two flying laps start now. Make them count." Louis said.

"Copy." Pierre replied.

Nürburgring 24h__28.jpeg

Giacomo is pretty much left alone, now that Pierre is completely out of reach in his sights.

Nürburgring 24h__29.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__30.jpeg

"Just focus on qualifying, Giac. No point in chasing after Gasly." De Luca said over the radio.

Nürburgring 24h__31.jpeg

"Copy. I don't want to risk everything on the Nurburgring." Giacomo replied.

Nürburgring 24h__32.jpeg

Meanwhile, in Unicorn Media's paddock...

...a woman walks in among the staff members focusing doing their responsibilities. She wears casual clothing such as a jacket and a pair of boots, prepared for the eventual showers.

Mila Janson has also walked out of the garage on the way to the bathroom, and then she sees the woman. She recognizes her as Mila once interviewed this particular woman in the past.

"Sofia Mendes? Wow, never thought a supermodel would be here in the paddock." Mila remarked.

End of Act 4

Last edited:
Act 5 - Full Gas (Part 2)

The supermodel then walks leisurely along the paddock, and having been familiar with Unicorn Media, she stops and just observes the commotion.

Mila, in order to clear the dead air, approaches Sofia and greets her with a handshake.

"It's nice to meet you again, Ms. Sofia Mendes. It's quite a surprise seeing you in the paddock." Mila remarked.

"Likewise. Actually, I came by to see someone, and of course catch up with my fellow colleagues having a gig." Sofia replied.

"Oh, mind if I ask who you wish to see?" Mila asked.

Sofia smiles and straightens her jacket. She briefly looks up at the forming overcast skies above.

"Mr. Barry Ragdall." Sofia replied.

Mila smiles back, and looks at the screens behind her.

"Well, he's doing the qualifying. He's driving at the moment. But don't worry, the qualifying will be brief, so mind if you can wait for him?" Mila replied.

"Oh I don't mind at all. He's such a very talented asset. You're lucky to have him. Well, I'll return here later." Sofia said, then turning back and go on her way as a thunder is heard rumbling.

"Wow... why did she say that all of a sudden? And the way she described Barry as if she knows him on a personal level." Mila pondered.

Back in the qualifying flying laps. The drivers have turned up the heat, as this is the small window of opportunity they have to set the fastest lap times.

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

Giacomo's concern over the cloudy skies grows.

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

"Do you think it will rain during the qualifying?" Giacomo asked.

"According to the weather map, the rain clouds are at 100 kilometers away, and are approaching over on our side. If we rely on this reading, then we should have more than enough time to complete the two flying laps. Just... tread with caution." De Luca replied.

"Thank you." Giacomo replied.

Music: Be My Babe - Jilly

Nürburgring 24h__2.jpeg

Meanwhile, Louis gives Gasly a reminder.

"Okay, Pierre, just letting you know that rain is coming. We just hope we have enough time to qualify before the showers came." Louis said over the radio.

Pierre then buries the throttle mid-corner, trusting the R.S.01's copious amounts of downforce.

"Copy." Pierre replied.

Music: Get Me Power - Mega NRG Man

Nürburgring 24h__3.jpeg

Meanwhile, Dave is right on Takanori's tail.

"Not being mean, but you are slowing us down, Takanori-san." Dave remarked.

Nürburgring 24h__4.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__5.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__6.jpeg

The FXX-K can eat up the gap the R.S.01 set thanks to the combined horsepower and electric energy, but it is not enough.

Nürburgring 24h__7.jpeg

"I still can't see that Renault. Gasly only won once in his F1 career. I guess I really am slower than even the laughingstocks of F1." Giacomo thought.

Nürburgring 24h__8.jpeg

The top tier racing machines enjoy their bout at the Dottinger Hohe straight, with some carrying some of the highest top speeds ever recorded in a racing machine.

Nürburgring 24h__9.jpeg

The P1 GTR recovers quite effortlessly as it joins the top ranks once more. Now it's their final chance to beat the clock...

....and the showers.

Music: Initial D 4th Stage Soundfiles: Chase II

Nürburgring 24h__10.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__11.jpeg

On the low end, Barry's focus is undeterred. Not even the overcast seems to faze him.

Nürburgring 24h__12.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__13.jpeg

"Mr. Button once told me that lap times are irrelevant in endurance racing. It doesn't matter where you start. Winners are the ones who hold out until the very end." Barry thought.

Nürburgring 24h__14.jpeg

"But even these F1 drivers have weaknesses. They've never raced for more than two hours in most of their careers..."

Nürburgring 24h__15.jpeg

"...with the exception of Fernando Alonso. HE'S A THREAT! He won the Le Mans 24 Hours for crying out loud." Barry mused, having been made aware of the competition.

Alpine BWT has finished their flying laps, as the fog settles in. The showers are fast approaching.

Nürburgring 24h__16.jpeg

Giacomo has also finished his run as well.

"Whew... at least we set the laps." Giacomo said.

Nürburgring 24h__17.jpeg

And the rest concluded their run just in the nick of time as well.

Nürburgring 24h__18.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__19.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__20.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__21.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__22.jpeg

And what are their best qualifying times?

Alpine BWT - 7:53.804

Storm powered by McLaren Racing - 7:55.350

Aston Martin Racing - 7:55.833

Red Bull Ford Powertrains - 7:56.825

Andretti Motorsport - 7:57.828

Scuderia Ferrari FXX - 7:58.062

Team Neo - 7:58.284

Upon hearing the result, Pierre is clearly overjoyed. His first pole, albeit outside of Formula 1.

"WHAT DID WE JUST DO?! MY FIRST POLE!" Pierre exclaimed.

"P1! Pole position for Alpine. Best news we heard all week." Louis said.

Alphonse also got wind of this achievement. He applauds
in his room.

"Someday, I'll snatch all the poles in Formula 1. Just you wait, Pierre Gasly." Alphonse thought.

End of Act 5

Last edited:
Act 6 - The Good Call

As all the teams return to their respective paddocks, they immediately pore over the footage and telemetry data.

Unicorn Media is no different, despite being a media organization. After all, they have hired a technical team from a well-known racing organization who once won the endurance race.

Barry is wiping off all his sweat using a towel, and he breathes out a sigh as he looks at the data that they have collected for the R8's performance. Unknown to him, Sofia awaits outside, tapping her feet as she observes him.

Barry then looks at his left, and his eyes widened from shock. He immediately recognizes her, and seeing that their brief meeting is over he approaches her.

"Sophy?" Barry asked. "What are you doing here?"

"Watching you, of course. Can't I give some support... and love?" Sofia replied.

Barry shakes his head.

"Look... that night in Cannes... it's just..." Barry said.

"Spur of the moment?" she replied. "Or was that love?"

"No..." Barry said.

"Well, is your wife here?" Sofia asked.

"No, she isn't. Look, Sophy... we're done. That night was one to forget." Barry answered.

"Oh here's something you would NEVER forget." Sofia said, as she inches closer to Barry, with her face mere centimeters away from Barry's.

"I.... am... pregnant." Sophy said, along with a smile.

Barry gasps, and then he grabs her by the shirt. He shakes her vigorously. But Sophy merely smirks.

"What did you just say?!" Barry asked with a raised tone.

"I. AM. PREGNANT. Would you deny your child? You're such a good daddy to Luca, you know? Fate once again found a way to entangle both of us." Sophy replied.

He lets go, and pushes her rather gently. Barry hyperventilates and crouches down, looking at the pavement.

"That should be enough motivation to live through this race. OUR child deserves a good father. Ciao!" Sofia said, and then she straightens her sunglasses.

Barry hits his right fist on the concrete, over and over. He is expecting a 2nd child from his legal wife. And now this? From his former flame? Barry and Sophy were once lovers, but ultimately their differing career paths would prove to be too much of a hurdle that they decided to part ways.

Their long-kept, unsaid feelings would then set a trajectory that Barry would have never expected.

"No! That was stupid. Really stupid." Barry mumbled, and then tears start flowing.

Mila then sees him on that state, prompting her to come over.

"Barry? Are you okay?" Mila asked.

Barry sniffles, and wipes his tears. He then jolts up and takes a gulp as he faces her.

"I'm fine. I'm just a little tired." Barry replied.

"I see. We're packing up anyway. Great job." Mila said, followed with a smile.

Barry nods.

"Yeah. We did an awesome job. Hope the weekend turns out to be the best." Barry replied, then follows her back to the paddock. His smile, however, quickly dissipated.

*********************************************************************************************

Time: 7 pm

It's about dinner time, and light showers are present. Soiree decided to cook stew for dinner, just for them both.

After preparation, she calls her husband Jacques and then they waste no time in eating. As she is about to take a spoonful, she gets a message from her grandson Alphonse as she expects one.

"He got food poisoning but he will race on the weekend. He's fine now." Soiree said.

"Germany is too far for us for a drive. And we have a small shop to worry about." Jacques said.

"But Alphonse needs our presence too. We just have to be there for him as much as possible." Soiree replied.

The pair then continue on with their supper. And then they hear a door chime. Soiree stands up and walks briskly to the front door.

Upon opening, a man wearing a brown leather jacket stands in front of her, smiling. Soiree smiles.

"Oh Frederic!" she exclaims, pulling him inside.

"Maman!" Frederic responds.

"Good to see you again. I'm sorry I haven't been visiting you lately. I'm busy in Nice. You know, being a professor." Frederic added.

Frederic Blanchard, the eldest and currently the only surviving son of Jacques and Soiree, is a professor at Côte d'Azur University in Nice. He teaches Biochemistry and is well-respected among peers and students alike, for his charming good looks but with the air of professionalism mixed with empathy.

"We are just eating dinner. Come join us!" Soiree said, as she brings her son in the dining room. Jacques also stands up and hugs his son.

"My son! I missed you so much! How's my professor?" Jacques said.

"Hectic schedule as usual. In the morning I hold classes, in the afternoons I give advice for thesis students, and in the evenings? I check papers." Frederic replied. "I took a day off today to visit both of you. I am truly sorry for not being here more often as promised."

"Don't feel bad. It's not your fault for living the life you desired." Jacques replied. "Come, sit with us. I'm sure you are also hungry from your trip."

Frederic joins his parents, sitting down as his mother places down another plate and utensils.

"Oh, where's Alphonse?" Frederic asked.

"He's at the Nurburgring in Germany. We're actually worried since he got food poisoning, but he said that he is fine now and will race on the weekend." Soiree replied.

"I see. Is this one of those 24-hour endurance races?" Frederic asked.

"Yes. And we can't quite fathom how can humans accomplish these types of races. We just found out that it had a long history." Jacques replied.

"Tell you what, I'll go back here this weekend and watch it together. Time goes so fast, isn't it? Last time I saw him, he was soaring through the small circuits in his go kart. And now..." Frederic said.

"Sure. For that, I'll prepare an extra special dinner for that day." Soiree replied gleefully.

Frederic then looks around, and then for one brief moment, he stares at the framed picture of his sister, Olivia in her younger days.

****************************************************************************************************

Time: 8 am, the next day

Alphonse wakes up in his room, and then he opens up the curtains and heads out of the balcony facing the main straight of the Nurburgring GP. He crosses his arms to somehow warm himself from the cold, chilly, and cloudy morning.

"I guess it will rain tomorrow." Alphonse said to himself.

He then hears a doorbell chime, and Alphonse runs to the door to open it. It's Louis.

"Good morning, Alphonse." Louis greeted. "So, are you okay now?"

"Ah yes, monsieur. Much better than yesterday. Where's Gasly?" Alphonse asked.

"Probably still in his room." Louis replied as he gets inside the room.

"I want to congratulate him. He was simply... awesome." Alphonse remarked.

"Well, that's an F1 driver for you." Louis said. "And oh, I came here to tell you that we will have a meeting at the conference room at the 2nd floor. 10 in the morning. So, please have some breakfast and get dressed." Louis said.

"Oui. I'll prepare myself now." Alphonse replied.

At 10 in the morning, Alphonse heads over to conference room C. He sees the entire crew present, along with the other drivers and of course, Noel.

Alphonse sits down beside Noel, prompting the latter to ask.

"Are you okay now?" Noel asked.

"Oui, monsieur. I feel so much better now. I can drive this weekend." Alphonse replied. Louis then goes over at the front, holding a microphone.

"Good morning everyone. Let's have our final, pre-race briefing for tomorrow's big race. First off, let's congratulate Pierre Gasly for securing us the pole position." Louis said, and a wild applause ensues. Pierre smiles and waves his hand.

"His first pole in his career. Let's see if he can do that in F1." Louis said, and the everyone in the room laughs.

"Okay. Last night, Mr. Chevalier and I discussed the driver order for tomorrow's race. Alphonse Blanchard will drive first, then Noel, next is Hugo, and finally Pierre. Driver stints are limited to 10 laps each, as Mr. Chevalier recommended. And after their stint, they can enjoy some snacks and meals in the 24-hour cafe in our motorhome, and/or get their much needed rest. Depending on the weather conditions, it can be as long as 150 laps, or as short as 50 when there are red flags and forced stoppages." Louis explained.

"Yes, it's also my responsibility to ensure the safety of all in the race. I can stop the race if it is too dangerous for everyone. A few years ago, it actually happened because the fog was too dense. I was one of the people who voted for that to be stopped. The FIA will check the conditions round the clock. So far, there are only clouds today, but tomorrow there is a high possibility of rain." Noel added.

"And while the car was built to have easily replaceable parts, please exercise caution. While our aim is to have an overall victory, let us still prioritize safety. In an endurance race, cool heads prevail. This is speaking from experience." Louis said.

Everyone in the room show signs of agreement. It's all settled.

Louis then resumes his talk with further details of the race.

********************************************************************************************************

The next day...

One of the biggest days in the motorsport calendar, the NLS Nurburgring 24 Hours kicks off. And as projected, millions of motorsport fans from all corners of the globe have tuned in. With the addition of F1 drivers in the grid, the diehard fans have also joined in the livestreams, even starting arguments as they would in F1 race weekends.

Pit Garage_.jpeg

Alphonse suits up, and then he performs his stretching routines. Louis approaches him.

"You ready for this?" Louis asked.

"Yes. Really ready. And I can no longer embarrass myself in front of Mr. Chevalier and Pierre Gasly. I will give my very best." Alphonse replied.

"Just keep your cool, okay? We will be guiding you." Louis said.

Meanwhile, in the Unicorn Media paddock. Mila wears her racing overalls. Barry as well. From his exchange with Sophy last night, however, he still looks downtrodden.

She goes beside the R8, making final inspections.

"Seems we are ready." Mila remarked. "Oh, where's Barry?" she asked.

"He's in the communications area, ma'am." one of the other drivers replied.

She goes to the said area, and sees him testing out the headset.

"Barry!" Mila said with an enthusiastic tone.

"Mila." Barry said, albeit sheepish. She immediately notices his gloomy disposition.

"Oh, what's wrong?" Mila asked.

Barry then perks up.

"Ah! Sorry about that. It's just that I'm worried... you know... clouds and rain." Barry replied with a nervous giggle.

"I've reviewed supercars on the rain too. Don't worry about me." Mila said with her smile, assuring Barry.

Back in the Alpine motorhome, Noel is also finished putting his overalls. He then goes straight to the communications area, looking at the telemetry alongside Hugo.

"Hugo." Noel said.

"I have narrowed down the search of the person responsible for sending the letter and the DNA results. They all came from France, specifically from Nice." Hugo replied, in a discreet volume.

"Very well. Keep at it." Noel said. And then he sees Louis, also about to wear his headset.

"Louis? Mind if I... take over the communication for Alphonse?" Noel asked.

Louis clearly understands the intention, and smirks.

"I don't mind, monsieur. He does need your wealth of experience." Louis replied.

"You can also join in, if you want." Noel added.

All the cars have lined up and had a parade in a warm up lap. All the motorsport fans camping out just outside the track applaud as they see the cars slowly move along. The camping part is just one of the traditions done by the fans. Of course they want to see the action unfold, all day, all night, rain or shine.

As they return to the main straight, Alphonse clasps the steering wheel tightly.

"The world is watching me. Here goes." Alphonse said over the radio.

"You can do this. We believe in you." Noel replied.

And it's lights out... and away they go.

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

The machinery make their charge. The audience are crying their support for their favorite teams.

Team Storm's McLaren P1 GTR, driven first by Dennis Hatch, takes advantage of the horsepower granted by the combination of engine and electrical sources. It quickly takes the lead.

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

But then Alphonse lets off, and veers to the inside of the hairpin.

Nürburgring 24h__2.jpeg

Instantly steals back the pole position. The Alpine team watches the footage, and are already impressed by Alphonse's counterattack.

Nürburgring 24h__3.jpeg

"Nice move!" Louis said.

Nürburgring 24h__4.jpeg

Giacomo isn't too far behind, however...

Nürburgring 24h__5.jpeg

"Argh... I think we have to play a bit later, Alfonso." Giacomo said, eager to have another bout with his French best friend and rival.

Alphonse then makes a remark on the R.S.01's turn in understeer.

"There's a bit of understeer." Alphonse commented.

"Okay, switch to +3 brake bias." Noel replied.

"Copy." Alphonse replied, then proceeds to adjust the brake bias by turning the knob at the dashboard, by three clicks to the right.

Nürburgring 24h__6.jpeg

Dennis notices the increased yaw of the Renault.

"The Renault turns in better. I'm being left behind in the corners." Dennis remarked.

Music: Initial D Sound Files - Chase II

Nürburgring 24h__7.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__8.jpeg

Mila observes the SP9 class fleeing away.

Nürburgring 24h__9.jpeg

"No hope catching the SP9 peeps. If Barry's at the helm, however..." Mila thought.

The rearward brake bias seemed to have solved the understeer issue, as the R.S.01 increases its gap.

Nürburgring 24h__10.jpeg

However, while the grid is feeling the tension...

...there is one who is unfazed by it.

Nürburgring 24h__11.jpeg

None other than Fernando Alonso. The 43-year old Spanish F1 driver has experienced endurance racing, and he knows very well how to turn the tables.

Even Mike notices the Vulcan's rather laid back pace.

"Alonso is falling back? Mechanical trouble already?" Mike mused.

Nürburgring 24h__12.jpeg

On the contrast, Alphonse soldiers on the lead, trying to set the gap larger as much as he can, while still being aware of the dangers of the Green Hell.

Nürburgring 24h__13.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__14.jpeg

Alphonse maintains a solid lead.

"Impressive lead. Keep it up." Noel said.

Nürburgring 24h__15.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__16.jpeg

Giacomo sees his rivals far ahead of him. Not even a speck of Alphonse's car on sight.

Nürburgring 24h__17.jpeg

"I mustn't rush over. Even the KERS has limits. I still have the power advantage even if the battery runs out of charge. There's 24 hours to think of." Giacomo thought.

With the production cars having much less drag than their GT3 counterparts, overtaking the SP9 class on the Dottinger Hohe straight is a common occurence.

Nürburgring 24h__18.jpeg

Another lap begins, with Giacomo slowly rising through the ranks overtaking Andretti Motorsport's supercharged Corvette ZR1 GT3.

Nürburgring 24h__19.jpeg

While Alonso maintains 3rd place.

Nürburgring 24h__20.jpeg

Because of Alonso's intentional limited pace, Giacomo easily caught up to him at the Kesselchen.

But then the Spaniard anticipates it.

Nürburgring 24h__21.jpeg

Giacomo irks at the Spaniard's provocation.

"Hey, I thought you made it clear to leave the space. Practice what you preach!" Giacomo thought. Then he attempts to make an overtake outside.

But it turns out to be futile as the Ferrari has less downforce than the Aston.

Nürburgring 24h__22.jpeg

Seeing the predicament, Alonso merely smirks.

Nürburgring 24h__23.jpeg

Thunder starts to rumble. Even the audience notice the drops of water on their palms.

Nürburgring 24h__24.jpeg

"It begins." Mila remarks on the start of rain.

Nürburgring 24h__25.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__26.jpeg

Then Alphonse makes a call.

"I'll box. Box box. Intermediates." Alphonse said.

"Okay, box for Intermediates confirmed." Noel replied.

Nürburgring 24h__27.jpeg

With the drizzle now becoming more noticeable, Alphonse's right foot is fully pressed on the accelerator on the Dottinger Hohe.

Nürburgring 24h__28.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__29.jpeg

Alonso has also boxed in.

Gran Turismo® 7_20240904181034.jpg

Giacomo enters as well, but decides to use Mediums.

Nürburgring 24h__30.jpeg

"The drizzle is not as bad as I initially thought. Switch to Mediums." Giacomo said.

The Renault took a long time since a full tank was also requested. Giacomo and Alphonse exit together.

Nürburgring 24h__31.jpeg

But then... the drizzle turns into showers.

"Argh! Wrong call! Never thought it would rain all of a sudden. I thought it was gradual. Sorry for the bad choice." Giacomo said over the radio.

"Calm down." Luca replied. "Just make it back here in the pits safely. Remember, a lot can change within 24 hours."

Nürburgring 24h__32.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__33.jpeg

Dennis, who has once again taken the lead due to R.S.01's pit stop, also starts to struggle on the increasingly slippery surface.

Nürburgring 24h__34.jpeg

"You taught Alphonse very well, Louis." Noel remarked, seeing that it was the right call.

"Because he deserves it. Plain and simple. Would you also instruct the same? The same racecraft?" Louis replied.

Alphonse sees the struggling P1 GTR.

Nürburgring 24h__35.jpeg

And finally gives in.

Nürburgring 24h__36.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__37.jpeg

Giacomo, having no choice but to merely crawl the car all the way back to the pit lane, even sees a yellow flag.

Nürburgring 24h__38.jpeg

"I hope that's not Alfonso." Giacomo thought.

Nürburgring 24h__39.jpeg

However, Alphonse isn't the only one who made a clever strategy call.

Nürburgring 24h__40.jpeg

Noel's eyes widen as he sees the Aston Martin easily eating the gap Alphonse left.

"As expected..." Noel said.

Nürburgring 24h__41.jpeg

"Fernando Alonso closing in. Prepare for a fight, Alphonse." Louis said.

End of Act 6

Act 7 - The Rookies

Nürburgring 24h__41.jpeg

Alphonse has no breathing room at all, despite the numerous erroneous strategic calls made by the other teams. Fernando Alonso's wealth of experience makes him better prepared for situations like these.

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

"Alonso incoming." Noel said.

Alphonse would then smirk, but then of course, he is aware of the gap between them... both literally and figuratively.

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

"Copy." Alphonse replied. "I don't know if I should feel happy or alarmed. It's THE Fernando Alonso!" he thought.

Nürburgring 24h__2.jpeg

Alonso closes in, takes a look at the opponent in front of him.

Nürburgring 24h__3.jpeg

"You are that young French karting champion who beat Hamilton once. Well then..." Alonso thought, as he goes full throttle despite the slippery surface.

Nürburgring 24h__4.jpeg

Seeing that wide opening entering the Nordschleife, Alonso veers to the left and brakes late.

Nürburgring 24h__5.jpeg

And makes his intentions known...

Music: Fernando Alonso - Carte Blanq

Nürburgring 24h__6.jpeg

"Argh!" Alphonse exclaimed, as he felt that nudge that pushed the R.S.01 to the outside. He applies opposite lock to maintain his control.

Nürburgring 24h__7.jpeg

And with the Renault's balance disrupted, Alonso moves in.

Nürburgring 24h__8.jpeg

"Don't take this as a mockery, young man. I recognize your bravado!"
Alonso thought.

Heavy amounts of water are being sprayed on the R.S.01's windshield.

Nürburgring 24h__9.jpeg

"My way of respecting the competition is by simply not holding back. Anything less than that is an insult." he added.

Alphonse is both baffled and mesmerized by the Spaniard's pace in this severe weather condition.

Nürburgring 24h__10.jpeg

"He drives as if the road is dry! I'm dealing with a two-time world champion here!"
Alphonse thought, and a drop of sweat has flowed.

Nürburgring 24h__11.jpeg

Noel and Louis gasp at the Vulcan's pace at the course map, enlarging the gap at an astounding rate.

Nürburgring 24h__12.jpeg

"Alphonse. Fernando is faster than you. But remain calm. The race has just begun." Noel said.

Nürburgring 24h__13.jpeg

Alphonse is gradually applying the throttle on the corner exit, yet Alonso is fleeing.

"He's driving a front-engined rear wheel drive car on the wet. Shouldn't he be at a disadvantage?" Alphonse asked.

"Rain is the natural equalizer of a race. It doesn't favor any type of car. It's the ultimate test of driver skill." Noel replied. "Keep a cool head, Alphonse. Panic can only bring disaster."

Nürburgring 24h__14.jpeg

Alphonse breathes out a sigh, heeding Noel's advice.

"Understood, sir." Alphonse replied.

"Do not be discouraged. You have now moved up in a much bigger world. Expect opponents like him more often." Noel added.

The gap is at 10 seconds.

Nürburgring 24h__15.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__16.jpeg

"You naturally have more traction than Alonso's Vulcan. Take that in mind." Noel said.

Nürburgring 24h__17.jpeg

"So that means I can accelerate better on corner exits? But what about the thing he said earlier?" Alphonse mused.

Alphonse takes heed, despite the confusion. Louis does notice that Noel's words bring weight after all. On the consecutive corners, the gap is cut by at least 1 second.

Nürburgring 24h__18.jpeg

"You are reducing the gap, Alphonse." Louis said.

Nürburgring 24h__19.jpeg

But on corners that have straights coming after, the Vulcan's power shines through, negating the traction disadvantage.

"Alonso's pulling away again." Louis said.

Nürburgring 24h__20.jpeg

Louis observes the live race telemetry. The gap between the two would fluctuate. Decreasing on one hand, and then increasing on the other.

Nürburgring 24h__21.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__22.jpeg

Noel mutes the communications for a brief period. He looks at Louis.

"This will provide a grand opportunity for Alphonse to learn. You did the right thing joining, Louis." Noel remarked.

Nürburgring 24h__23.jpeg

"Your son's trajectory has been set, forged by his own will and determination. Don't you ever dare ruin it." Louis replied. "Better keep in mind my promise."

End of Act 7

Act 8 - Intrusion

The darkness arrives, and with it awaits the showers. Just like the drivers recuperating after their stint, the rain also had a brief respite and then return to join in the chaos.

Nürburgring 24h_.jpeg

It's now Barry R's turn. Mila just got off the car along with the tire changes and refuel. The other cars do the same, including the top class.

While Aston Martin Racing and Alpine BWT still command a strong lead, the Unicorn Media team amazed the spectators, as they overtake even some of the top GT3 class cars in the entire grid.

Barry gets inside the car, and straps in with no words being spared. Mila notices this.

"This isn't Barry at all. What's wrong? Even he smiles during the tense moments like these." Mila mused, as she unzips her overalls and let her auburn hair down.

Unicorn Media exits the pit lane along with the other teams.

A set of Intermediate tires will complement the R8's trademark Quattro four wheel drive.

Music: When The Sun Goes Down - Ken Blast

Nürburgring 24h__1.jpeg

Barry seems to have his focus all prepped.

"The current grid of the top class seems to be overpowered. Mr. Button's right. Rain is truly the great equalizer." Barry thought.

Nürburgring 24h__2.jpeg

He inches closer to the more powerful machinery. Mila looks at awe at the race footage.

"I expect no less from Barry. Hehehe." Mila said. Then she looks around, and once again she sees Sophy waiting outside the paddock, protected by a black umbrella she's holding.

But then she turns back to looking at the screens.

Nürburgring 24h__3.jpeg

As he closes in the GT3 race cars, Barry clasps the steering wheel tightly.

"I've got a lot in my mind right now." Barry thought. And even then his right foot his flat down the throttle.

Nürburgring 24h__4.jpeg

With the traction advantage granted by four wheel drive, the R8 effortlessly exits the corners which would close the gap even tighter.

Nürburgring 24h__5.jpeg

Isaiah gasps upon seeing the lower class R8 overtaking him.

"A production spec R8?!" Isaiah exclaimed.

And then the next obstacles - the P1 GTR and Red Bull's Ford GT race car piloted by Mike Hackett.

"Is that... an R8?" Mike asked over the radio.

"Yes. Unicorn Media. A production car is hanging behind you. And it's driven by Barry Ragdall." the engineer replied.

Nürburgring 24h__6.jpeg

Upon hearing that familiar name, Mike smirks.

"Impressive. Or should I even say magnanimous? This is rare in an endurance race." Mike thought.

Nürburgring 24h__7.jpeg

And then...

...Barry lines up to Mike approaching the Karrusell.

Nürburgring 24h__8.jpeg

Music: Streak of Blue - Tekken 8 OST

Mike then exclaims, "What the hell?!" as he sees the Audi supercar effortlessly steal the position from him.

And then moves on to attack Team Neo.

"Mila? No wait..." Kiehl said as he can only watch the supercar blaze past.

Nürburgring 24h__9.jpeg

"You've all got too much power on the 'Ring. Hard to find traction, huh?" Barry teased.

Even the experienced Antonio Giovinazzi wasn't spared.

Nürburgring 24h__10.jpeg

"Where did all that speed come from? Is it even part of the production class at all?" Antonio wondered.

Nürburgring 24h__11.jpeg

Nürburgring 24h__12.jpeg

The R8 flees, using all the traction it has as the rear-wheel driven race cars would struggle to find their footing despite having the correct tires for the job.

Nürburgring 24h__13.jpeg

As he continues to astound the spectators with his speed, however, all of a sudden intrusive thoughts make themselves known.

Nürburgring 24h__14.jpeg

"Luca will have a baby brother or sister."

and then Sophy's unexpected twist:

"Oh here's something you would NEVER forget."

"I.... am... pregnant."

"Would you deny your child? You're such a good daddy to Luca, you know? Fate once again found a way to entangle both of us."

Nürburgring 24h__15.jpeg

"NO!" Barry yelled, and the radio was on. Mila heard it.

Approaching the hairpin, Barry slams on the brake pedal, but the brake force was rather too strong that it upset the R8's rear.

Nürburgring 24h__16.jpeg

The loss of control would then prompt Barry to correct it, but the car veered to the gravel trap.

Nürburgring 24h__17.jpeg

Upon halting, Barry slams his fist on the wheel.

And would then shout profanities.

"F%%$^%^(&^*^*K!!!!" he yelled.

"Barry?! Are you okay?" Mila asked.

Barry hyperventilates, and inside his helmet, sweat is not flowing... but rather tears.

"Sorry. I.... messed up. I was too aggressive." Barry replied, as he sees the other cars go past.

"What about the car?" Mila asked.

"Car's fine." Barry replied, then he presses down the accelerator to start moving out of the gravel pit. He stops to check if there are no other oncoming cars.

Once the track is clear, Barry then accelerates the R8 out.

End of Act 8

Back