Request for Proper Gear ratio adjustment

• Thread starter Exorcet
  • 10 comments
Exorcet
OE Exorcet
This is not a help request for a tuning set up.

http://feedback.gtplanet.net/forums...gestions/2368448-proper-gear-ratio-adjustment

Basically, although adjustable gear ratios were added long ago, they are inadequate, as they have been since GT2.

Gear ratio selection depends on the power band, but all we are given is a screen with a few lines on it. It is not very useful. We need to be given helpful information such as the RPM and MPH range of each gear.

However, even more important than this is being able to select an actually useful gear ratio. This is currently not possible. In GT5, you can only have very widely spaced gears that would never be used in a race car. Example:

gear - shift speed
1 - 60
2 - 80
3 - 110
4 - 160
5 - 200
6 - 220

A real gearing set up for a "roomy" track would look more like this

1 - 90
2 - 130
3 - 160
4 - 180
5 - 205
6 - 220

Notice two things:

1. The proper gearing set up has very long 1st and 2nd gears. This is because at low speed, you can spin your wheels more easily. If 3rd gear in the first set up can spin the wheels, why would you need a lower gear? 1st and 2nd are practically useless in set up 1. In set up 2, all gears are useful.

2. The gearing is much tighter in the proper set up. This ensures that acceleration is higher since the engine is operating closer to peak power at all times. Yet at the same time, because of the large offset of the low gears, there is no loss in top speed. Top speed may actually increase because of high power in the later gears.

Unfortunately, 99% of the time a set up like 2 is impossible to get in GT5. I think that this must be fixed. It's a serious problem and it undermines the point of an adjustable transmission.

If you agree please vote to have this issue fixed in the Feedback section, link provided

http://feedback.gtplanet.net/forums...gestions/2368448-proper-gear-ratio-adjustment

It still doesn't help. I've used every trick I know of, but I can never get a ratio low/high enough for my needs for every gear. Usually, only the final gear ends up making any sense at all.

Also, even if the tricks did work, you shouldn't have to rely on them. You should just be able to set your gears straight away. And finally, we still need a decent gear set up screen

One like this

gt1a.jpg

It is really vexing that GT1 was nearly perfect in this area, and then every other game basically got worse and worse until GT4 and 5, which really aren't all that good anyway.

this depends on the kind of track you're gonna drive on. for drag races, you want to focus on getting a fast start on 1st through 3rd and then transitioning smoothly into the other gears. for a tight street race you would want to focus on a low top speed and quicker gear ratios for a better acceleration.

What is there works good enough for me.

What is your goal? The adjustable transmission is the best one in the game yes. But it is still terrible.

this depends on the kind of track you're gonna drive on. for drag races, you want to focus on getting a fast start on 1st through 3rd and then transitioning smoothly into the other gears. for a tight street race you would want to focus on a low top speed and quicker gear ratios for a better acceleration.

You should be able to set your car up for anything with an adjustable transmission though. For 1/4 mile drag races, the current gearing situation is probably OK, you can just skip the first few gears if they are too low). For a tight street track, you can do the same. And you don't really need to worry about shift points if you car can change gears rapidly.

However tracks like Monza are a disaster. The gearing example I posted in the first post is actually based on an attempt to get a 908 C60 Hybride geared for that track. 6th gear was decent, but everything else was horrible. I could only extend 1st gear to about 60 mph. 1st and 2nd would spin the wheels meaning that I never needed to go below 2nd gear. And 3-6 were so far apart that I think I was getting 2000+ RPM from red line after shifting which was hurting my acceleration.

EDIT, not a 908, a Pesarolo. The 908 actually manages to make due with GT's gearing because the power band is so flat, at least when stock. Still, that makes 1st and 2nd gear under utilized.

Last edited:
Agreed. The range of selectable ratios is so oddly constrained that you can't even put the stock ratios on those cars with incorrect ratios in the game.

Why the available range of ratios should scale with the final drive and the top speed setting is beyond me. GT1's was indeed more useful, with a fixed, broad and useful range of gear ratios for each gear and an adjustable final drive. All the top speed setting should do is use a "default" set of gear ratios and only tweak the final drive, which would basically make it redundant. I.e. get rid of the top speed setting, since the graph shows us what it is as you make adjustments, and the final drive setting does the same thing anyway - keep a "reset to default" button for emergencies, though. :P

Also, bring back the use of the shoulder buttons to scroll through values quickly! The range of ratios will become massive with small differences still making a large impact, and having to wait to scroll through quickly is infuriating with GT5's limited range as it is.

The graph itself needs improving; I'm all for economy of information, clarity and legibility, but the GT1 graph is perfectly legible, perfectly clear but it has more (immediately accessible) information on it than the one in GT5.

EDIT: a further refinement would allow us to set the shift point, and the table of in-gear speeds should also show what engine speed the next gear requires (so you can easily tell if it drops out of the "power band") - better still, the power curve graph that is available could have a selectable region of useable power (i.e. as a percentage of peak) which could be displayed on the gear ratio graph as a band across its middle. I'm tempted to have a go at making one myself, now.

Last edited:

Try putting the correct gear ratios on the Caterham Fireblade and you'll see what's wrong with the way it works. ;)

In fact, try putting the stock ratios on any car that doesn't already come with the fully custom 'box. It's usually a bit of a faff when it could (should) just be a case of putting the numbers in.

GT1 didn't have it perfect. I see they've made the very same error since the first game:

YwV25.png

There shouldn't be overlaps in the gear chart. They make no sense, if it's supposed to show the speed range for each gear when shifting at redline.
I added vertical red lines to denote, where they intersect, when the yellow gear lines should start.

Back