Rob's Cockpit

• Thread starter robulus
  • 10 comments
GTP_Robulus
Thought I'd throw up some pics of my rig. It's a DIY job so it might help people looking for ideas.

I started out with my DFGT mounted on a metal trolley that we had lying around. This was a little low, and I couldn't get the seat right, so I came up with this PVC tubing base, that extends and angles it. It is very rigid, much firmer than it looks! I made a hinged stand for the pedals so I can adjust the incline, and I got a car seat from a local wrecker for $50.

I bought a rumble cushion and pulled the speaker out of it, removed a little foam from the lumbar area of the car seat, and have mounted the rumble cushion in there. I found this works great, but is a bit distracting during replays etc, so I mounted a simple switch on the side of the seat. This works perfectly, I just flick the rumble pad on at the start of a race.

All packs away neatly, which keeps the wife happy.

Edit: I took some better shots, as the old ones were taken at night with a flash. These show the geometry a lot better.

new-full.jpg

new-side.jpg

new-full2.jpg

Older images:

setup2.jpg

setup.jpg

pedalStand.jpg

Last edited:
cool. but whats up with that horizontal pvc pipe? doesnt it hit the back of your legs. also, the bracket on the pedals looks like it can slide down if you put for on it since its got a sliding space to adjust nothing is keeping it from giving and sliding down.

cool. but whats up with that horizontal pvc pipe? doesnt it hit the back of your legs. also, the bracket on the pedals looks like it can slide down if you put for on it since its got a sliding space to adjust nothing is keeping it from giving and sliding down.

An excellent question. The horizontal PVC pipe sits over a horizontal bar on the metal trolley. So it provides rigidity to both structures. It is a pain in the ass when you get in, you have to tilt the wheel forward, but once you are in your legs go straight over it. If I was designing it from scratch this would be different!

The screws hold the bracket on the pedals tight, it doesn't slip. I also glued a cut out from a rubber mat to the base, so it doesn't slide on the rug. The only issue with it is that it is not perfectly stable, it will rock diagonally with pressure particularly on the brake, but I've found in use it feels fine.

Last edited:
Did you mount the seat directly to the floor?

Heh heh heh. I bolted wood blocks onto the seat fitting points. It took about twenty minutes, and was only supposed to be temporary, but it's held up fine and the seat sits solid as a rock.

Back