Saab Sonett II 1967

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 4 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

StarLight Garage would like to introduce the Saab Sonett II from 1967, the Sonett was designed as a race car and that's the reason I want this car in the GT-Series.
Anyway I think it's a good addition and since it's a Saab I would love to have this little "race car" in my garage too.

Inspiration for this car given by Aero2000 Sonett III suggestion.

2ew2q20.jpg

The Sonett II was SAAB's first production sports car. It was manufactured in Trollhattan, Sweden beginning in 1966. It was powered by the two stroke, three cylinder, 841 cc engine used in the Monte Carlo, including three single barrel Solex carburetors.

The Sonett II was designed as a race car and competed successfully against Austin Healy Sprites and Triumph Spitfires in SCCA races of the period. Unfortunately, since the 500 minimum production figure was not met, Sonett II's were ultimately disqualified.

The Sonett II represents the culmination of SAAB's two stroke engine technology in a production vehicle. However, with the introduction of US emission control standards in the late 1960's, the 'stroker' engine was replaced by a Ford V-4 four stroke engine in late 1967. The Sonett II V-4 and the later Sonett III with a similar engine were produced through 1974. A total of 10,219 Sonetts were produced.

Manufactured in Trollhattan, Sweden, beginning in 1966, the Sonett II was SAAB's first production sports car. Featuring a two-stroke, three cylinder, 841 cc, three single barrel Solex carburetors Monte Carlo engine, the Sonett II was designed as a race car and competed successfully against Austin Healey Sprites and Triumph Spitfires in Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) races of the period.

Unfortunately, since the 500 minimum production figure was not met, Sonett II's were ultimately disqualified. The two stroke engine was discontinued in the late 1960's due to US emission control standards.

Specifications
Production Years for Series: 1966 - 1969
Engine Location: Front
Drive Type: Front Wheel
Body / Chassis: Steel unibody
Transmission: Four Manual Column lever
Weight: 739.356 kg (1630 lbs)

Engine Type: Two stroke
Displacement: 841 cc / 51.3 cu in. / 0.8 L
Power: 60 HP (44.16 KW) @ 5300 RPM
Torque: 67 Ft-Lbs (91 NM) @ 3800 RPM
Bore : 2.8 in | 70 mm
Stroke : 2.9 in | 73 mm

Performance:
0 - 100 km/h: 12,5 seconds
Top speed: 150 km/h

2nq7b6.jpg

etgnmd.jpg

21l6a8w.jpg

k4749w.jpg

am4lf9.jpg

2evbti9.jpg

THE OTHER SONNET IS HERE

I feels like Muttley, in Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines , when he gets a medal :P "Yeah yeah yeah yeah, give me, give me, give me ! I really like the Sonett II !

More pictures
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
I feels like Muttley, in Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines , when he gets a medal :P "Yeah yeah yeah yeah, give me, give me, give me ! I really like the Sonett II !
char_12077_thumb.jpg

Well you deserve it ... I usually don't "steal" suggestions but I saw that the Sonett II wasn't suggest.
So I give it a go.
Have a nice weekend!
:cheers:

Last edited:
Back