Screen size

• Thread starter Jmyguk
  • 12 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Making our spare room into a games room and the only tv I have spare is a 32" 5 series Samsung. I'm going to mount this on the wall at eye level, but will this be big enough to play on comfortably? Will be about 2M away from the screen. All the good setups seem to have massive TV's and sit a few inches away!

If you are playing with a wheel and looking for the most immersive experience check this website out http://www.projectimmersion.com/

Should give you a good idea of what size screen and where to position it. At the end of the day however, it doesn't really matter as long as you enjoy playing the game.

32 seems too small to wall mount. I've got a 43 butted up to my wheel base and use cockpit view exclusively. I built a custom stand that places the tv in a way that fully zoomed and height matching gives me 1:1 screen wheel to real wheel overlay. Very immersive.

Before I built the rig I was playing in the theater on a 120 inch screen sat 9ft away. Spectacular , but the driving performance and was not very accurate.

I'm most accurate on my 1080p projector in standard view. (Apart from VR). It looks better in 4K HDR yet sitting closer isn't quite the same as using a bigger screen.

I sit in my playseat around a meter from my 49" TV and I like it like that ( I cannot concentrate enough when I'm any more than 2m from the TV. When I play games just for fun I lay on my bed (2.3m away) but I am not really competitive at that distance :)

I upgraded from a 32 in to a 55in and I now sit 3ft from the screen I'm a ds4 motion sensor user. Totally immersive and I actually think it helped me improve my lap times by improving my smooth cornering.

Best benefit though has been playing 2player battles. Impossible on the 32in and a blast on the 55in

I'm most accurate on my 1080p projector in standard view. (Apart from VR). It looks better in 4K HDR yet sitting closer isn't quite the same as using a bigger screen.
For me i have to disagree, my PJ is 4k hdr and i still find the cockpit view on the 43 inch screen better in terms of immersion. I tried a 39 and a 48 and they weren't ideal. The PJ was beautiful especially in standard view but the 1:1 the 43 gives you is very immersive , conversely I found standard view on the 43 underwhelming.

They used to recommend about 1.5 x diagonal for 1080 p. Just close enough so you don't see each pixel on screen. 32 inch screen would be about 48 inches distance.

For me i have to disagree, my PJ is 4k hdr and i still find the cockpit view on the 43 inch screen better in terms of immersion. I tried a 39 and a 48 and they weren't ideal. The PJ was beautiful especially in standard view but the 1:1 the 43 gives you is very immersive , conversely I found standard view on the 43 underwhelming.

I don't like cockpit view on a flat screen. It's great in VR and wouldn't want to play it any other way, yet on a screen I just feel it's blocking the already limited fov while I get the impression I'm driving from the back seat.

I either put my chair 2m from a 65" 4K tv or sit 3.5m from a 92" 1080p projector screen. The latter is more comfortable. Yet some tracks are harder to see without HDR (and the limited contrast range of LCD projectors) VR is best despite the low resolution.

I don't use a wheel though, foot rest up, lean back, best way to race!

I don't like cockpit view on a flat screen. It's great in VR and wouldn't want to play it any other way, yet on a screen I just feel it's blocking the already limited fov while I get the impression I'm driving from the back seat.

I either put my chair 2m from a 65" 4K tv or sit 3.5m from a 92" 1080p projector screen. The latter is more comfortable. Yet some tracks are harder to see without HDR (and the limited contrast range of LCD projectors) VR is best despite the low resolution.

I don't use a wheel though, foot rest up, lean back, best way to race!

You feel that way because your fov isn't dialed in. Plus if you're not using a wheel , I guess that affects perception in some way.

You need to step up your PJ game bro :). I also have a 1080p PJ, retired to the back yard since the 4k HDR took over theater duties. The contrast ratio has never been lacking. It's 3D as well so way brighter than I ever needed.

Last edited:
You feel that way because your fov isn't dialed in. Plus if you're not using a wheel , I guess that affects perception in some way.

You need to step up your PJ game bro :). I also have a 1080p PJ, retired to the back yard since the 4k HDR took over theater duties. The contrast ratio has never been lacking. It's 3D as well so way brighter than I ever needed.

It's lacking compared to a 4K HDR tv... If only I could afford the Sony 4K laser projector. I don't really want to upgrade to a pixel shift solution with limited HDR. Anyway since VR I don't really care about resolution anymore, too bad you can't do sport races in VR! (Better not, I play way too much already) You get so used to simply looking where you want to go in VR that any screen feels incompetent. Even with only 6 people and crude graphics DC VR was a lot of fun online. I've seen cleaner racing there than in GTS with radar and penalties.

It's lacking compared to a 4K HDR tv... If only I could afford the Sony 4K laser projector. I don't really want to upgrade to a pixel shift solution with limited HDR. Anyway since VR I don't really care about resolution anymore, too bad you can't do sport races in VR! (Better not, I play way too much already) You get so used to simply looking where you want to go in VR that any screen feels incompetent. Even with only 6 people and crude graphics DC VR was a lot of fun online. I've seen cleaner racing there than in GTS with radar and penalties.
Don't be so quick to dismiss pixel shift. I had one of the Epson units when they first released, and the bump to true 4k was only noticeable if you had your eyeball in the screen. The HDR is also far from lacking and outperformed many high end high end flat panels i have experienced. The caveat being it was in a light controlled environment. I hear you about VR though, but as a videophile PQ is my first priority and right now the VR is a little crude as you mentioned.

Latest Posts

Back