Seating position

United States
United States
I am in search of an answer. Does anyone have any idea of the correct position of and f1 steering wheel, I’ve looked far and wide an have found nothing. I’m using an f1gt, I’ve adjusted it as close to the real position as possible, seeing that it doesn’t quite recreate an f1 cockpit, but I’m getting incredible shoulder pain during long use, if anyone could answer this I would greatly appreciate it.

At a guess, the pain could mean the wheel is too far away or too high. I had it for a short time when setting up my rig (not F1-style) and moved the wheel about an inch or two closer which solved it.

The trouble with F1-style is that your knees want to be where the wheelbase is, so some compromise would be needed... but note upper arms in line with torso...

BDdGa.jpg

At a guess, the pain could mean the wheel is too far away or too high. I had it for a short time when setting up my rig (not F1-style) and moved the wheel about an inch or two closer which solved it.

The trouble with F1-style is that your knees want to be where the wheelbase is, so some compromise would be needed... but note upper arms in line with torso...

BDdGa.jpg
That’s what is was thinking, it seems that the position is the standard gt position ie wheel between wrist and elbow when stretched out center of the wheel center axis at base of neck. I think part of the problem is the fact that I’m using a g920, so I’m trying to simulate the position using a round wheel, I’ve already purchased the Mclaren gt3 wheel, and will be upgrading to the CSW soon, hopefully that will allow me to simulate the position more accurately, so for now I will use the seat slider seeing that the steering shaft is longer on the CSW and I will likely have to re adjust the entire rig when I attach it

That’s what is was thinking, it seems that the position is the standard gt position ie wheel between wrist and elbow when stretched out center of the wheel center axis at base of neck. I think part of the problem is the fact that I’m using a g920, so I’m trying to simulate the position using a round wheel, I’ve already purchased the Mclaren gt3 wheel, and will be upgrading to the CSW soon, hopefully that will allow me to simulate the position more accurately, so for now I will use the seat slider seeing that the steering shaft is longer on the CSW and I will likely have to re adjust the entire rig when I attach it

I think the things in common are upper arms by the sides, and about 90 degree bend at the elbow. What seems to be different is the angle at the hips (pretty much 90 degrees in F1, but a little less sharp in GT) and maybe the height of the wheel (a bit higher in GT, pointing at the chin). And of course the feet are more bum height than chest height! All together meaning the knees aren't up where the wheelbase would be.

TBH, GT looks a lot more comfortable than F1, and is already a more extreme position than my DIY setup (which is more like a fast road car in geometry). I hope you find a good compromise :)

bmw-z4-gt3-zanardi-images-30.jpg

I think the things in common are upper arms by the sides, and about 90 degree bend at the elbow. What seems to be different is the angle at the hips (pretty much 90 degrees in F1, but a little less sharp in GT) and maybe the height of the wheel (a bit higher in GT, pointing at the chin). And of course the feet are more bum height than chest height! All together meaning the knees aren't up where the wheelbase would be.

TBH, GT looks a lot more comfortable than F1, and is already a more extreme position than my DIY setup (which is more like a fast road car in geometry). I hope you find a good compromise :)

That’s pretty much my current adjusted position, my feet are slightly higher, I lowered the wheel height a bit and I’m much more comfortable, thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

It's definitely possible. But, you have to get creative. The problem is trying to figure out how to mount a wheel from the top, instead of the bottom. This allows your knees to clear.

And it's much more comfortable than you would think.

My toes are just visible in the first shot, and my knees are just below the T300 base.

IMG_6890.JPG IMG_9126.JPG IMG_6844.JPG

Last edited:
That looks great. Any plans to get the screen closer - you'd be able to get much closer to an "accurate" field of view if the screen was right up against the wheelbase.

That looks great. Any plans to get the screen closer - you'd be able to get much closer to an "accurate" field of view if the screen was right up against the wheelbase.

No, probably just a larger screen. Current setup is a 40 inch. In order to get the accurate height, the screen must be this low. It may even need to go slightly lower with a larger screen to maintain height. It's kind of annoying to navigate menus, but worth the payoff in immersion. Not for everyone, but I prefer to have subtle things that improve immersion, e.g. my hands obstructing the view during hairpins. With the current FOV and in-game seat adjustments available, I'm just outside a pure, realistic view (on F1 2018, at least).

The second photo (pic taken behind my shoulder) is the best representation of the screen as it is currently. The top off the chassis (on screen) is just above the top of my wheel, as it should be.

The fist photo was when I first finished this mockup design. I realized quickly, the screen was way too high to take full advantage of this driving position.

Last edited:
Reread my post. I'm aware that one way to improve the FOV is through distance. The other is screen size. The former is not possible with this realistic F1 seating position setup.

This is the position for the playseat challenge

Back