Sim racing - PS5 VS XBOX X?

• Thread starter Siso112
  • 31 comments
Israel
Israel
Hello everyone!
I'm new here. Wanted to hear your advice on which console should I buy for next gen sim racing.
Really love F1 games and loved Gran Turismo Sport but i lean towards buying an XBOX beacuse i dont like the size of the PS5 console.
What my real question is which will be better? GT7 or Forza Motorsport 8?

planning to buy a new wheel aswell.

Thank you every one and happy holidays!

Look into building a PC because that’s what most sims are developed for and it’s a more versatile platform overall. GT7 probably won’t release on PC but Forza will. PC also provides:
  • Assetto Corsa w/ mods
  • Better version of AC Competitzione
  • Project CARS 2 more optimized
  • RaceRoom
  • iRacing, if you’re not turned off by its business model
  • A lot of other, older games (GTR2, Race 07, and Live for Speed are the highlights, plus other games through means that I shall not discuss).

To be fair, building a PC is not be the best option if you want something you can simply plug in and play. Since you bring up size, some higher-end PCs are probably off-limits to you.

Maybe wait on more information on GT7/Forza so you can make a more informed choice when the time comes.

Hello everyone!
I'm new here. Wanted to hear your advice on which console should I buy for next gen sim racing.
Really love F1 games and loved Gran Turismo Sport but i lean towards buying an XBOX beacuse i dont like the size of the PS5 console.

In addition to what's been said, GT7 is at least expected sometime next year at this point, but we have no news on Forza. I wouldn't expect that till the very end of the year if we're lucky, and maybe even into the following year.

Hello everyone!

Welcome to GT Planet :gtpflag:

I think you've asked a question which is almost impossible to answer at this point.

You referred to GT7 and Forza Motorsport, neither of these are due in the near future, so it is impossible to say which one might be "best" for you for at least a year (most likely).

All the other "simcade" type games are likely to be available on both consoles as they are produced by third parties.

If you only play racing/driving games, there's not a great deal between the consoles in my opinion (that's from someone who has had a PS4 for a long time but has just bought an XBoneX)

If you play other console genres too, that might have a bearing on your decision (e.g. Halo, Uncharted etc)

Honestly, excluding those who are console fanboys, its difficult to answer your question decisively.

Do you play mostly online or offline? If mostly online, then your decision may be influenced by friends or clubs if you are already a member.

Also, as mentioned above, PC sims are more varied and more flexible, if you are leaning towards the more "sim" side, rather than "simcade". But that's almost another complete conversation...

This probably hasnt helped you at all :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replys, i think i will wait at least untill march with my decision.
Yup, no need to invest right away when all of the racing games worth playing are on previous generation (or PC).

F1 is pretty much identical on PlayStation and Xbox, though the PlayStation population is higher which means more people to race against online.

I prefer Xbox as I'm a veteran Forza player (though I did Platinum GT Sport) and that's where my community lies.

That question won't truly be answered until 2022 when (hopefully) both games are out and players have had time to expose all the positive/negative aspects of each.

My problem is that my PS4 died and I have a lame PC, which means that I won't play sim racing for a while. Eventually, I will need to take a chance on one of the consoles because at a certain point I will need to buy a new console

At this point i would go xbox.

Sony only gave us gt sport ( Online multiplayer game) on the ps4 where as xbox churn out forza games more frequently. The rest will be multi platform.

Plus kaz seems to be taking gt down a wierd route with his focus on car collecting rather than sim racing.

Plus kaz seems to be taking gt down a wierd route with his focus on car collecting rather than sim racing.
Lol that's always has been. In fact, GTSport is the weird one with the lack amount of cars.

Never in GT History have they done the most realistic sim like IRacing or AC. Not that it's a bad thing, mind you.

Last edited:
Yeah but the early games had some fun racing now the ai has got a lot worse and the only way to make it interesting is to use under powered cars.

At this point i would go xbox.

Sony only gave us gt sport ( Online multiplayer game) on the ps4 where as xbox churn out forza games more frequently. The rest will be multi platform.

Can you elaborate more, please?
What do you mean by weird way?

Can you elaborate more, please?
What do you mean by weird way?
They aren't going in a weird way at all, what that poster is saying doesn't really make sense. He said they are focusing more on cars and car collecting rather than being a full on sim - The odd thing is that's how it's always been with GT, they were never chasing to be the most realistic sim.

Last edited:
They aren't going in a weird way at all, what that poster is saying doesn't really make sense. He said they are focusing more on cars and car collecting rather than being a full on sim - The odd thing is that's how it's always been with GT, they were never chasing to be the most realistic sim.
which game do you think is the most realistic sim for a console?

which game do you think is the most realistic sim for a console?
I tend to stick to the middle ground (Forza/Gran Turismo) so I wouldn't exactly be able to say. @Scaff has knowledge of all things sim though, so maybe he can recommend.

I’ve been reading on the acc forum that PlayStation generally has better force feedback regardless of what wheel or title you run when compared with Xbox.

There’s loads of info on it over on reddit as well if you can be bothered to look it up.
I’ve only ever used PlayStation so can’t speak from experience of Xbox but there’s plenty of info out there that makes it seem like an issue for Xbox sim racers.

I’ve been reading on the acc forum that PlayStation generally has better force feedback regardless of what wheel or title you run when compared with Xbox.

There’s loads of info on it over on reddit as well if you can be bothered to look it up.
I’ve only ever used PlayStation so can’t speak from experience of Xbox but there’s plenty of info out there that makes it seem like an issue for Xbox sim racers.
This is entirely true for Fanatec wheels as Fanatec don’t have an SDK for Xbox.

In other words, when you plug a Fanatec wheel into an Xbox it won’t say it’s a “Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel”, it’ll say it’s a “Steering Wheel”. This results in the wheel using Xbox’s default configuration for wheel and force feedback options, and you having fewer options and working buttons compared to PlayStation/PC.

I prefer PS because there are simply more players online at any given moment compared to the xbox versions.

Last edited:
I really haven't noticed this as too much of an issue, to be honest.

I didn’t really notice when the games were new-ish, but when the popularity of the game starts to die down after a few months it was really noticeable to me. If I tried to play niche games like Project Cars or F1 in the evening or late at night I would have much less online options on xbox compared to PS. F1 felt dead to be perfectly honest.

I noticed it with PubG as well, first person perspective lobbies were pretty much impossible to find on xbox but on playstation you had at least had a chance. It was noticeable in Battlefield 4 too when I would look for servers.

I think it’s a massive issue, I hope more games start to adopt cross platform play because it benefits everyone.

Last edited:
I didn’t really notice when the games were new-ish, but when the popularity of the game starts to die down after a few months it was really noticeable to me. If I tried to play niche games like Project Cars or F1 in the evening or late at night I would have much less online options on xbox compared to PS. F1 felt dead to be perfectly honest.

I noticed it with PubG as well, first person perspective lobbies were pretty much impossible to find on xbox but on playstation you had at least had a chance. It was noticeable in Battlefield 4 too when I would look for servers.

I think it’s a massive issue, I hope more games start to adopt cross platform play because it benefits everyone.
Ah yeah, for much older titles that does make sense. Haven't encountered the issue with anything remotely "new."

I prefer PS because there are simply more players online at any given moment compared to the xbox versions.
It would not be a thing in next gen - cross platform multiplayer will be a standard.

Well, it depends on which brand you're more loyal towards either the Playstation or Xbox.
Being loyal to a multi billion dollar company will always be a strange concept.

Buy whichever hardware makes the most sense to you for whatever logical reason(s), not who makes it.
Yeah, that makes no sense. Why would loyalty determine which is better for sim racing?

Yeah, that makes no sense. Why would loyalty determine which is better for sim racing?

Well I was trying to help Siso112 on what to buy, if he prefers PlayStation, let him buy PS5 or if he prefers Xbox, let him buy Xbox Series X.

Last edited:
Well I was trying to help Siso112 on what to buy, if he prefers PlayStation, let him buy PS5 or if he prefers Xbox, let him buy Xbox Series X.
Yes, I read your post. You're not really elaborating on the subject any more than your original did. If all he cared about what console he liked he wouldn't be asking about which console has better options for sim racing, I would imagine.

This is entirely true for Fanatec wheels as Fanatec don’t have an SDK for Xbox.

In other words, when you plug a Fanatec wheel into an Xbox it won’t say it’s a “Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel”, it’ll say it’s a “Steering Wheel”. This results in the wheel using Xbox’s default configuration for wheel and force feedback options, and you having fewer options and working buttons compared to PlayStation/PC.

Thank you all you guys!
didn't know all of that info.

Which sim racing do you all prefer? (for console)

Which sim racing do you all prefer? (for console)
I work at Codemasters so I'm legally* obligated to tell you our games are the best :D

In all seriousness though, I think the ultimate question when it comes to your sim racing exploits is going to be: What do you want to play more, Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport?

I lean towards Forza as that's where I've been for the past 10 years, my friends are there and I like Xbox's Achievement system more than PlayStation's Trophies (also, Xbox Game Pass is the best deal in all of gaming).

If any other game is going to be your "main" (for me it's DIRT Rally 2.0) your choice of console doesn't matter since performance will be near identical.

*not really

Last edited:
Back