Skoda Spider II (Type 733) Group 5 1975

United States
The Tri-State Area
1713967206773.png

Yes, that's a Skoda.

Specifically, it's the Skoda Spider II, the car that the Czech manufacturer built to replace its own Spider B5 in order to better compete in the European 2-Litre Championship sports car racing series.

The original vehicle was built in 1972 to race under Group 5 regulations for small-capacity engines. It would race against similar Eastern Bloc cars in the shape of vehicles like the Wartburg-based Melkus RS 1000, and the MTX 2-01 Spider.

Largely driven by Skoda regular Jaroslav Bobek, the Spider B5 earned the nickname "skokan" - or "jumper" in Czech - for some slightly wayward handling characteristics, and Skoda sought to replace it as the FIA merged the Group 5 and Group 6 regulations.

That resulted in the Spider II, which made its debut in 1975 with a new two-litre engine based on that used in the new 200RS - Skoda's first RS vehicle. Available as either OHC or DOHC, this Skoda 720 unit could deliver 180hp in the Spider II, which weighed just 585kg - almost 50kg lighter than the B5.

A lot of the weight saving came from a new platform, with a custom-made "self-supporting skeleton": essentially a space-frame. With a new Hewland FT200 gearbox (replacing the Skoda-built unit of the B5), the Spider II could hit 60mph in four seconds and up to 150mph depending on configuration.

Bobek raced the Spider II in various European Group 5 championships and hill climb events, including the domestic Ecce Homo Sternberk hill climb. However the car was destroyed in a crash in 1976 at the Hlasna Treban hill climb, through a bizarre collision after the finish line having taken victory.

Skoda has recently undertaken a restoration of the Spider II, with the vehicle destined to sit alongside the B5 at the Skoda Museum in Mlada Boleslav.

1713965002968.png

1713967357615.png

1713967538492.png

1713967573775.png

1713967612024.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, it's wearing the #1 which would most likely mean this car was a winner. I'll have to do some digging, I'm curious about this car's racing history.

EDIT: I wonder what league it raced in. I'm seeing it only ran in 2 races, scoring 1 win, 1 pole, and 1 second place finish. A perfect 100% finishing record which uncommon for the day, even only being in 2 races.

I also hadn't heard of this car, but from a Russian car website I read that it had a single overhead cam engine and a Hewland four speed gearbox.

180bhp sounds a bit high for a 1975 SOHC engine.

Latest Posts

Back