So I think I figured out the setting of Apricot Hill...

United States
California
CommanderCyclops
...or at the very least, I figured out what they pasted in the background.

In the Easter Eggs thread, I said I thought it was in the U.S., but now I'm pretty sure it's Japan, namely, the farmlands outside of Gotenba in Shizuoka Prefecture, very near Fuji Speedway.

The first thing I noticed is that Fuji has almost the exact same fire extinguisher boxes that are at Apricot Hill. Then I noticed that the mountains southeast and southwest of Fuji are the same mountains that are at Apricot Hill.

This is looking southeast from turn 1 at Fuji. That sharp peak is Mt. Ashigara.

The same peak at Apricot Hill, viewed from turn 1 (normal).

This is Mt. A****aka, viewed from turn 1 at Fuji.

And again, coming out of turn 1 at Apricot Hill.

To make sure, I did some overlays for comparison. The lighter ridgelines are from Fuji, superimposed over Apricot Hill. The first one is Mt. Ashigara.

This one is to the left of Mt. Ashigara. The difference in perspective really shows, but most of the details match up.

And here's Mt. A****aka.

I guess the only flaw in my grand theory is that Mt. Fuji should be very visible, but is nowhere to be seen. I suppose it's possible that it's not visible all the time due to fog, haze or clouds. It's also possible that it's view is blocked. In the foothills east of Gotenba, near some golf courses, there is a kind of depression where you probably wouldn't be able to see Fuji.

Alright then. I'm off to find Grand Valley City.

Given that both tracks seem to be on the same bearing from the peak, and Apricot Hill seems to be closer to be the peak than the Fuji track... what's the complex in the near distance of this picture?

Although thinking it through... looking at the elevation of the ridge past that complex Apricot Hill must sit somewhere just on the other side of it?

Nice work, OP :D

Given that both tracks seem to be on the same bearing from the peak, and Apricot Hill seems to be closer to be the peak than the Fuji track... what's the complex in the near distance of this picture?

Although thinking it through... looking at the elevation of the ridge past that complex Apricot Hill must sit somewhere just on the other side of it?

Nice work, OP :D
Hard to tell, but with Google street view it looks like some kind of large industrial park.

I'm guessing the track would be roughly somewhere around 35°19'48.81"N, 138°57'26.98"E

...or at the very least, I figured out what they pasted in the background.

In the Easter Eggs thread, I said I thought it was in the U.S., but now I'm pretty sure it's Japan, namely, the farmlands outside of Gotenba in Shizuoka Prefecture, very near Fuji Speedway.

The first thing I noticed is that Fuji has almost the exact same fire extinguisher boxes that are at Apricot Hill. Then I noticed that the mountains southeast and southwest of Fuji are the same mountains that are at Apricot Hill.

The same peak at Apricot Hill, viewed from turn 1 (normal).

This is Mt. A****aka, viewed from turn 1 at Fuji.

And again, coming out of turn 1 at Apricot Hill.

To make sure, I did some overlays for comparison. The lighter ridgelines are from Fuji, superimposed over Apricot Hill. The first one is Mt. Ashigara.

This one is to the left of Mt. Ashigara. The difference in perspective really shows, but most of the details match up.

And here's Mt. A****aka.

I guess the only flaw in my grand theory is that Mt. Fuji should be very visible, but is nowhere to be seen. I suppose it's possible that it's not visible all the time due to fog, haze or clouds. It's also possible that it's view is blocked. In the foothills east of Gotenba, near some golf courses, there is a kind of depression where you probably wouldn't be able to see Fuji.

Alright then. I'm off to find Grand Valley City.

You got it 100% right. The place do actually have apricot trees

and is somehow famous about it. The zone is called Minami-Ashigara prefecture and is full of cultivated land and country clubs

I took a look at Google Earth

Apricot location.png

I'm amazed on how they even get anything out there, looks like the middle of ****ing nowhere :P I'd love to go there someday.

You got it 100% right. The place do actually have apricot trees and is somehow famous about it. The zone is called Minami-Ashigara prefecture and is full of cultivated land and country clubs
Any reports on the prevalence of turtles in the area?

no clue but seems there's a lot of rice cultivated and lots of water... the mega industrial complex is probably fujifilm or asahi beer

I think it's about here ( 35.363051,138.88602 ) on Google Maps (can't make a direct link...?)

There's a nice golf course there, if you zoom in and look at the pathways it's conceivable that Kaz thought the course up during a relaxing round or two :D
i tought the same, after ronda too. For trial mountain you should lookaround golf courses, country clubs and exclusive resorts lol

I have always though of Apricot Hill as unlicensed Suzuka. It has very similar features. The first 2 corners and subsequent esses are similar, they both have at least one long sweeping corner, they both have a hairpin, both have the tight little ess and last corner run on to the straight.

Evil downhill grid too... don't forget to chock the car on the grid... otherwise it will roll down to turn 1 without you.

I still think Cape ring is on an idealized location of the Izu Peninsula - South East of Fujiyama-san.

I have always though of Apricot Hill as unlicensed Suzuka. It has very similar features. The first 2 corners and subsequent esses are similar, they both have at least one long sweeping corner, they both have a hairpin, both have the tight little ess and last corner run on to the straight.
Can't be arsed to look it up right now; does anyone know offhand how long Apricot Hill has been in the series, and when PD got the license for Suzuka?

Interesting find.

Thing about it is, though, someone actually researched the topography of the track itself and found that it most closely matched a location in middle-of-nowhere Ohio.

They also researched the saftey and found that it was a few deeper tire barriers away from being fully certifiable in real life.

Nope.

Someone actually ran the cut/fill numbers in a surverying program and found that Apricot Hill's topography best resembles an area near McConellsville, Ohio. Not sure if I got the name exactly right, but it was something like that.

Someone actually ran the cut/fill numbers in a surverying program and found that Apricot Hill's topography best resembles an area near McConellsville, Ohio. Not sure if I got the name exactly right, but it was something like that.
...neat!

If you find the link for that, could you share it here? The behind-the-scenes involved with the series is endlessly fascinating. :)

Apricot Hill first appeared in GT2 in 1999, and Suzuka was first in GT4 in 2004. So I guess Apricot Hill could have been created as a poor man's Suzuka.
Grazie, Commander. ^_^

Back