So, let's talk about rain...

• Thread starter TumeK5
  • 62 comments
Finland
Finland

While I understand the race is time accelerated, this is ridiculous. Dropping an ocean like that out of nowhere and the clouds then departing is just absurd, it's like the game is forcing you to look at the rain radar. What if you don't want the HUD to cover like one third of your screen? You're screwed.

Well, if you don't want to look at the rain radar, then you have to live with that...simple as that!

And in certain parts of Europe weather-changes can be that drastic...we had two days in April here in Vienna were the waether changes in real time were exactly like in your video...actually they were even more drastic with sunshine and a hale-storm at the same time...

In certain parts of Europe weather-changes can be that drastic...we had two days in April here in Vienna were the waether changes in real time were exactly like in your video...actually they were even more drastic with sunshine and a hale-storm at the same time...
Can be, but in this case, the rain took like half an hour in real-time.

First point, you would not "have the HUD to cover like one third of your screen", it would cover exactly the same, has it's on MFD, you just loose the information you usually have on that (radar, intermediates, brake balance, TCS, map, whatever).
Second, that's how they do things in real life racing, first the weather radar, than even spotters on the other side of the track and for last the visual impressions.
Third, like @Batschisane52 said, in some parts off the world, it's just like that, and not accelerated. Just look what happened at Russian GP last year. Orr Nurburgring 2007. As a matter of fact Nurburgring and precisely Spa are known for this "out of nowhere on/off switch weather)

Can be, but in this case, the rain took like half an hour in real-time.
So where is the problem...?
That is realistic...and like pedrocor just said in his posting before:for Nürburgring and Spa this kind of quick weather changes are normal and both tracks are well known for it(eg. sunshine one part of the track and heavy rain at the same time in another part of the track...)

While I understand the race is time accelerated, this is ridiculous. Dropping an ocean like that out of nowhere and the clouds then departing is just absurd, it's like the game is forcing you to look at the rain radar. What if you don't want the HUD to cover like one third of your screen? You're screwed.

I've experienced weather changes like this. More often in the tropics, but occasionally in Europe

Also TBF distance races in GT7 tend to be speeded up, same reason fuel consumption and tyre wear have multupliers/vary from race to race depending on distance.

A heavy storm in a half an hour is trying to simulate rainfall relative to the duration of the race. So it's not representing the rain being extreme in like 3mins.

Same for the dynamic time - the night laps on the Spa one hour are approximately 10-15minutes. Obviously trying to condense the race accordingly.

I love the rain dynamics. Obviously it can be a nightmare to negotiate (I'm not the best either lol) but it makes for a more immersive experience and I love the impact it has on pit strategy. If I had a complaint I'd want the rain to come in completely randomly. Most events that feature rainfall, I kinda know what to expect and how to strategise for it.

It be good if it was totally random.

Last edited:
It be good if it was totally random.
This.

This race in question had been completely dry throughout, apart from a few raindrops appearing on the windshield earlier. So it's as if the game compensated for the lack of rain and decided to dump an ocean onto the racetrack :confused:

Just switch to the rain radar whenever noone is in close proximity.
Whatever this means?

Edit: I'm beginning to realize people didn't notice this was a recording of the replay. During the race I only had the race info on, so obviously if I had the HUD active, I could've switched to the rain radar. Furthermore, I would've seen the rain meter as well.

But, I thought that was obvious as I mentioned I do not wish to have the HUD cover the screen...

Give us hotkey to toggle HUD pls PD

Last edited:
OK.

• Your rain radar does not cover a third of your screen. It covers exactly the same amount as the track radar in the bottom right.
  • The rain radar can be zoomed out so you can see the rain coming.
  • That race (1hr at Spa I presume) is a 24 hour race condensed into one hour.
  • The rain can therefore arrive and depart seemingly quite quickly.
  • The rain radar will still show it coming, and going.
  • When it does get wet, it's advisable to lengthen your braking distance so you don't spear off at the first sight of a corner.
So, lets talk about rain, but I'm not going to use the tools the game provides or change my driving style in the wet, so I can complain about it.

I love the rain in this game.

Last edited:
Whatever this means?

Edit: I'm beginning to realize people didn't notice this was a recording of the replay. During the race I only had the race info on, so obviously if I had the HUD active, I could've switched to the rain radar. Furthermore, I would've seen the rain meter as well.

But, I thought that was obvious as I mentioned I do not wish to have the HUD cover the screen...

That makes more sense now, and a quick way to enable the HUD would be welcome for some players and should be be difficult to implement.

As for the fast changing weather, I see that in the UK fairly often. I recall having rain, sunshine, hail and then sunshine all in the space of an hour once.

OK. Still doesn't excuse you driving like it's dry.
True, but I was blind to the info, and I was unsure how much the track had been soaked at that point.

I was expecting just below the first horizontal line.

Whatever this means?

If you want to race in cockpit view without the HUD on screen then I would suggest keeping to casual driving sessions or not worrying about race results and just enjoying it. I mean, it's not like we have a pit crew constantly feeding us information like we would in real life, so the HUD makes up for that.

If you want to race in cockpit view without the HUD on screen then I would suggest keeping to casual driving sessions or not worrying about race results and just enjoying it. I mean, it's not like we have a pit crew constantly feeding us information like we would in real life, so the HUD makes up for that.
I am well aware, don't worry :)

But the main problem here was the rain lasting only so long despite being so heavy, such is the condensing

If PD just gave us the option for a toggling hotkey, I would have zero problems seeing the HUD occasionally. I don't like to pause constantly

I laughed when you crashed after the Kemmel straight because that literally happened to me as well. Exact same crash. The grip meter wasn't really that bad and then suddenly it climbed up to WET tyre levels. It's literally undriveable with normal race tyres. But I still like the rain in this game.

True, but I was blind to the info, and I was unsure how much the track had been soaked at that point.

I was expecting just below the first horizontal line.
Not with rain that heavy and that loud.

1652611335506.png

Now that the confusion has been cleared, allow me to say a few things :)

First of all, I love the rain in the game as well. I also love how the driving line is usually slippier, exactly like real life, as the rubber laid on it gets wet.

I'm also well aware of locations that have typically unpredictable weather. The aforementioned Russian and European GPs come to mind, as well as Malaysia. But when you condense a long race into a short one, these showers that would actually last a while become extremely short. Now, I can't speak for how quickly the track actually gets soaked before it's undriveable. But here, the rain started off very innocently, hence why I chose to keep going.

And like I said, I braked thinking it's still barely on the dry side of things, but obviously I was very wrong. After I recovered, the rain had already reached near max, which is absurd :lol:

Edit: My turn to miss replies. I also did hear the change in volume, can't miss that. But again...enuff said

Last edited:
Can't stand it in the game, just want to race in dry as much as possible, but get that many like it, reflection of real life etc.

If you do this 1hr spa race enough times, you should KNOW by near 45minutes, rain comes again and it will require at least inters or wets at the worst.
I mainly use the fuel map MFD during this race, but when I see fog building up or I am near a point where I know rain comes, I switch to the rain radar.

You should've looked at the radar when the first spots of rain came, and checked to see if you need rain tires or you can keep going with slicks.

As for how the rain comes, have you see an Australian Summer Downpour?
Clouds can roll in quick, downpour for 5 minutes, then sunny again.

I just roll with it, just be cautious when you're driving in the rain, and watching videos can help you improve in wet conditions!

I think we should have at least a lap's notice... especially on long tracks like LeMans and Nord.

I've been meaning to do the math but keep forgetting... you can zoom out 93 miles and sometimes the rain comes though in a matter of a few seconds. Like, that's gale-force winds at that point and I'd be running for a ditch as there's a tornado coming.

watch the highlights of the race from yesterday, and this video might seem more believable. actually i think they've really nailed this element of the game - though we need a legitimate radar that goes out a few hundred miles.

not sure where you live, but i had the same weather as that race yesterday... as one of the spotters said, "i'm glad i'm not the one in the car". the road conditions were constantly on the line between needing slicks / wets, and there's a lot of fun in that.

Last edited:
If you do this 1hr spa race enough times, you should KNOW by near 45minutes, rain comes again and it will require at least inters or wets at the worst.
Not always. Folk have had completely dry races. I've not had a dry one but I have had one where it didn't rain until well into the "morning."

Not always. Folk have had completely dry races. I've not had a dry one but I have had one where it didn't rain until well into the "morning."
I have had dry races too.
But normally, it rains 20min and again 40min in.

The fog is the big warning indicator, if I notice it, I watch the radar, at times I switch a little early too.
It might not be raining when I am at the bustop, but I like to guess where the rain will be in 50seconds time which is rough guess for pit stops.

Back