Sony Reveals Its First Car: Meet the Vision-S Prototype

Sometimes it's hard to tell what people mean by "design", whether they're just talking about the overall shape or the graphics. I agree this car could use some more interesting graphics with more exciting lights and lines. Volvo did a really good job on the C40 Recharge, and the Kia EV6 is a good example of interesting graphics on a common shape.
That KIA looks striking, it's like they took a hotwheels car and made it a reality. Really sets off the imagination

Last edited:

Sony and Honda have signed a deal to create a new company, Sony Honda Mobility, to develop electric vehicles

The new company will aim to bring together Honda's cutting-edge environmental and safety technologies, mobility development capabilities, vehicle body manufacturing technology and after-sales service management experience, with Sony's expertise in the development and application of imaging, sensing, telecommunication, network and entertainment technologies, to realize a new generation of mobility and services for mobility that are closely aligned with users and the environment, and continue to evolve going forward.

Sony and Honda plan to establish the new company within 2022 and to begin the sale of EVs and provision of services for mobility in 2025. The establishment of the new company and the start of business are subject to relevant regulatory approvals.

At CES 2023, Sony and Honda announces a new EV brand called Afeela with plans to begin selling in the US in 2026

02_gallery-01-2400x1350.jpg

02_gallery-04-2400x1350.jpg

02_gallery-06-2400x1350.jpg

02_gallery-05-2400x1350.jpg

02_gallery-12-2400x1350.jpg

• SHM strives to become a Mobility Tech Company that will pursue innovation in mobility by combining cutting-edge technology and passion along with people who pioneer the future with their creativity, based on our corporate purpose “Move people, through the pursuit of innovation with diverse inspirations.”
  • SHM announces its new brand, “AFEELA,” along with the unveiling of a prototype that demonstrates a new relationship between people and mobility.
  • Towards realizing safety and security: Our prototype is equipped with a total of 45 cameras and sensors inside and outside the vehicle, together with 800 TOPS of maximum computing power for ECU.
  • Mobility space into entertainment space by seamlessly integrating real and virtual worlds. To begin with, SHM has started to build new values and concepts for mobility with Epic Games.
  • SHM will develop the production model based on this prototype. Pre-orders are planned to begin in the first half of 2025, sales by the end of 2025, and delivery from spring in 2026 in North America.
  • To advance the intelligence of mobility, SoCs from Qualcomm Technologies’ Snapdragon Digital Chassis will be used in key features including AD/ADAS, HMI/IVI, and telematics. SHM is building a strategic technology partnership with Qualcomm Technologies to realize next gen mobility experience.
  • SHM begins collaboration with Epic Games to create new value in mobility services and entertainment.

SHM has announced its new brand “AFEELA” that represents “FEEL,” which is at the center of the mobility experience.

AFEELA expresses an interactive relationship where people “FEEL” mobility as an intelligent entity, and mobility “FEELs” people and society using sensing and network IT technologies.

SHM unveiled a prototype that expresses its vision of creating a new relationship between people and mobility. SHM will develop the production model based on this prototype, and plans to start taking pre-orders in the first half of 2025, commence sales by the end of 2025, and to begin delivery from spring in 2026 in North America.

The design of this prototype aims to create a new value standards for mobility. As we reach an inflection point where the elements of a car is shifting from power and performance to software, networks, and user experiences, we reexamined the individuality and form of vehicle design up until now, and by further refining, we aimed to highlight the essential values and sublimate them into a pure and strong design.

Exterior:
AFEELA’s exterior features “Media Bar” which allows intelligent mobility to express itself to surrounding people using light, enabling interactive communication between mobility and people.

Interior:
The interior is based on a gentle rounded tone, wrapping the occupants in a soft cocoon. Not only is the atmosphere comfortable, but has been designed to be as simple as possible, minimizing distracting ornamentation and colors. We aim to realize a people-centric experience that provides functionality that people want.

interior.jpg

Autonomy
  • We will provide pleasant mobility space founded on safe and secure technologies.
  • We aim to develop Level 3 automated drive under limited conditions and to enable Level 2+ driver assistance in even more situations such as urban driving.
  • We plan to use the SoCs*1 from Qualcomm Snapdragon Digital Chassis for 800 TOPS*2 maximum computing performance as hardware.
  • Our prototype is equipped with a total of 45 cameras and sensors inside and outside the vehicle. In-car cameras and Time-of-Flight (ToF) sensors*3 detect the driver and car’s situation to help avoid accidents.
Augmentation
  • A new HMI*4 will be introduced, providing a personalized in-car experience through cloud-service connectivity, realizing entertainment beyond driving.
  • We aim to evolve mobility space into entertainment and emotional space, by seamlessly integrating real and virtual worlds, and exploring new entertainment possibilities through digital innovations such as the metaverse. We have started to build new values and concepts for mobility with Epic Games.
  • We aim to provide intuitive navigation through augmented reality (AR) using our sensing technology.
Affinity
  • We will build an open community for not only customers, but our automotive industry partners, leading players in other industries, and the creative community which will take on the challenge with us to create new mobility entertainment.

Our initiatives in new services will evolve and grow through continuous software updates via the 5G network.

“Media Bar” allows mobility to interact with people.
The vehicle can express itself by sharing various types of information with people around it.
Even before getting on board, the interactive mobility experience begins.
An interface for a new era.

A Relaxing and Comfortable Cabin Layout
Immediately feel the sense of relaxation as you let yourself sink into the seat. The optimal layout of in-cabin space and seat provides ample room for unprecedent comfort, along with the glass roof enhancing the openness and freedom.
Comfort is further enhanced by the use of low environmental impact materials for the interior components and textiles, as well as the unique fabric that purifies the air.

I'm not quite sure what it means by that last bit. How is it possible that a fabric purifies the air? Did they make the seats out of HEPA filters?

Outstanding Operability, Visibility Through the Open Front Area
The panoramic screen spans the entire front area, and the steering has been uniquely designed to minimize the distraction of the screen.
The intuitive button operation, it enables instantaneous visual recognition of the crucial driving information such as the driver interface.
Wide open space and intuitive UI free release your passion for driving.

02_interior_screen-2400x1350.jpg

They claim the yoke is designed to "minimize the distraction" which is ironic.

We aim to achieve the world's highest level AD/ADAS by combining Sony's sensor technology, Honda's safety technology, and many intelligent technologies. We are aiming to develop level 3 autonomous driving optimized for specific conditions, as well as driving assistance features such as level 2+ autonomy for urban and other wide range of conditions.
Our prototype is equipped with a total of 45 cameras and sensors inside and outside the vehicle, together with 800 TOPS of maximum computing power for ECU. We will utilize SoCs from Snapdragon Digital Chassis*, a comprehensive solution that delivers customizable, safe and secure mobility experiences.

Enhancing the value of mobility space, we will expand it into entertainment and emotional space, by seamlessly integrating real and virtual worlds. To begin with, we have begun exploring new possibilities in mobility with Epic Games. By fully utilizing Unreal Engine, we will continue to create new experiences and communities for the mobility space that moves people.

I think it's funny how they decided to go with Epic Games rather than Sony's own in house studios to help develop this. Unless this is all a plan to acquire Epic in the end

1672895994079.png

I would say this Afeela (sounds like a dirty joke) is more minimalist than "boring." It is fascinating on a number of levels. I wish I knew more about it to deliver a more spirited discussion on it.

Sony would never be allowed to purchase Epic, even if they had the money for it. Honda/Sony probably had Epic design the UI purely because it uses some variation of the Unreal engine and they would do the heavy lifting for it.

Last edited:

I've seen many cars in my time, and this is certainly one of them!

I think I'll coin a term for this level of minimalism: NPC mobility. :P

I'm not quite sure what it means by that last bit. How is it possible that a fabric purifies the air? Did they make the seats out of HEPA filters?

02_interior_screen-2400x1350.jpg

They claim the yoke is designed to "minimize the distraction" which is ironic.

I think it's funny how they decided to go with Epic Games rather than Sony's own in house studios to help develop this. Unless this is all a plan to acquire Epic in the end

View attachment 1220707

Hmm I'll have to consider copping AFEELA.

I expect the LTT folks to upload a video on the AFEELA soon

Sony would never be allowed to purchase Epic, even if they had the money for it. Honda/Sony probably had Epic design the UI purely because it uses some variation of the Unreal engine and they would do the heavy lifting for it.
Yeah, I agree it's unlikely that such a deal would go through. But according to the press release, I think they're planning to create some sort of AR experience in the car. It would have been unnecessary to make such a partnership if all they were doing was using a licensed version of Unreal Engine

IRL photos

news_0106_Top.jpg

news0106_02.jpg

At the end of the article, they mistakenly wrote that CES is taking place in LA when it's actually in Las Vegas

1673223788169.png

I've decided that the name is dumb and I don't understand it. It's not inspiring and doesn't appear to mean anything. Is Afeela a person's name and I'm just unaware?

In the press release, it just says:
AFEELA expresses an interactive relationship where people “FEEL” mobility as an intelligent entity, and mobility “FEELs” people and society using sensing and network IT technologies.
I interpret it as the car is going to have some sort of AI personality, like the BMW i Vision Dee concept, that the driver is supposed to interact with

A feeler. That is literally the worst reasoning for a name possible this side of the Murena. What were they thinking?

Last edited:
That’s the thing, it doesn’t have to be a looker, it’s purely a mobile mobile device - not a typo.

Axios got an exclusive look at the Afeela at Qualcomm's San Diego headquarters

1689106907949.png

The touchscreen dashboard entertainment system extends the full width of the car, serving up full-screen movies, music, navigation and PlayStation 5 remote play with a controller (for passengers, or when parked).
  • The car could come with a gaming console (no remote connection needed), while passengers in the front and back seats could watch movies on their own or synchronized.
Facial recognition unlocks the car and opens the door.
  • The car automatically adjusts the seat, steering wheel, sound system, and dashboard lights and themes based on previously selected settings for each driver.
  • For example, selecting a Spider-Man theme will change the colors of the lights and images on the interior dashboard, and even play a theme song when accelerating.
  • Speakers in the seat, headrest, doors and dashboard offer an immersive 360-degree audio experience that you can literally feel. The music pumps through the seat and the movie's sound effects surround you as Spidey swings through city buildings on the car's dashboard screen.
Exterior screens on the front grille can display the theme, the weather, the charging status or even the score of a football game.
  • In the demo, rain droplets and weather icons popped up on the screen between the headlights to show that it was 72 degrees and raining in Las Vegas.
  • The numbers on a scoreboard flipped when a team kicked a field goal during a live game.
  • Fortnite characters or Spider-Man can drop in between the taillights and wave.

I don't like the topless steering wheel. Not enough leverage for casual one-handed cruising.

Also, the "play a Spider-Man movie and sounds while accelerating" thing sounds awfully... distracting.

• Fortnite characters or Spider-Man can drop in between the taillights and wave.
Sony, you're not supposed to be encouraging road rage incidents.

Also, given how trivially easy it is to crack the wifi security on most modern vehicles right now, and given Sony's absymal track record with data security in general, I'm sure this particular feature won't be abused at all. At all.

Last edited:
Obviously this big news for Gran Turismo, but of note is that the graphics and detailing on the body of the car have changed a bit since the last prototype images were posted here. Some small but vital aerodynamic adjustments at the rear, and likely some safety or maintenance-related adjustments at the front.

news0107_02.jpg

Afeela 3.JPG

Various design aspects have been changed at the rear but the big aero changes are the decklid which has been raised quite a bit, completely changing the height of the beltline to the point where it looks like the taillights have been lowered, although they haven't. This was probably to prevent aeroflow separation at higher speeds, and to increase effectiveness of the deployable spoiler. Also, the flat rear diffuser has been extended rearwar and made wider. Visually this makes the car look more finished but improves aero as well.

Afeela 1.JPG

Here you can obviously see how the front and rear bumpers have been extended for practicality, safety, and regulations. Also, the hood has been flattened a bit, with a steeper arc down toward the headlights, and has been contoured a bit, both for style and to help direct airflow over the surface. The prototypes hood was a completely smooth, bulbous surface, with zero control over flow in any direction. Low on the side you can see the divot which helps reduce visual mass, and you can see that unlike on the prototype it is not a horizontal line. It's slightly raised toward the rear, and gets slightly deeper at the rear. This is to compensate for the visual aspect of the rear decklid having to be raised for aero, and thus the beltline having to be raised. It tricks your eye into seeing a new "horizon" for the car.

02_gallery-01-2400x1350.jpg

Afeela 4.JPG

The front has completely changed look and feel with that bumper but frankly it feels more like an actual car because of it. You can see an actual hard chin splitter which visually compliments the rear diffuser but also defines and extends the flat floor.

Overall I think the car looks better, more like a Honda, more complete, and less like a new Hyundai. Hyundai's design philosophy is pretty cool but occasionally the concept car styling can feel unrefined. This Afeela lost some of that concept car feel but looks like an actual car.

Back