Spot the difference

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, I’ve been a player of the GT series of games ever since the first one back in the day, after GT Sport really made me give up in the series I was gifted GT7,

the Multiplayer is just a lift from GT Sport, yes a graphical upgrade but other than that I can’t see or feel any difference, inept penalty system, auto cars slower than manuals and still a big advantage to those playing on wheels. Polyphonys archaic view on what good race etiquette is still makes me laugh..

the rest of the game makes it worthwhile to me, modding cars, racing the various single player stuff, buying the cars etc - I’d drop the license tests - I know some love them, I don’t think they add nothing to the game it’s just filler To me.

overall though as a package I can’t see where 4 years of development has gone… its all polished and works well 99.9% of the time but underneath it’s the same game as previous versions - just with the aforementioned graphics upgrade. When this is re released at a budget price I think it’s a great game and a must have but as a full price release… doesn’t do enough and there isn’t enough that is truly new - i know it’s racing game how new can you make it..

I was hoping for big improvements in the penalty system, wider choice of cars, how about a stunt car driving mode ala the great Geoff Crammonds Stunt Car Racer, how about some optional paid for DLC but it feels like Polyphony have run out of steam.

if you love the game great, have a blast with it ignore my ramblings but for me, for me.. it’s a case of seen it all before there isn’t anything here to get excited about

I don’t think they add nothing to the game
they don’t add nothing to the game
they add nothing to the game
Choose Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

But then it would be an Epic must have need to buy a PS5 game not just an OK game
The license test, and now the circuit experience, are the best part of the single player.

License tests are one of the reasons people kept coming back to GT1-4.

Challenging yourself is a pillar of the franchise. It's what makes the game 'Gran Turismo' versus any of the myriad of car games.

You and @Nathan88 should make a thread between the pair of you to discuss the game. It would be SUPER entertaining for the rest of us :D

Last edited:
Yes, I would drop them as for me they don’t add nothing to the game for me...
So again, you would drop the license tests as for you they actually add something to the game.

I know what you're trying to say, but that's not what you're actually saying. If something "doesn't add nothing", it adds something. If something "doesn't add anything", it adds nothing.

Double negatives aside the guy has a point. GT7 doesn't do or provide anything new. It's GTS + some bits of the older games with all the usual incremental improvements you'd expect at a minimum.

License tests were unique and interesting in GT1 but they have not evolved at all. Not even a tiny bit.Why do we not have a full on racing school by now, that actually teaches you the fundamentals of racing in a realistic manner, instead of driving around 3 corners in 26 seconds? They could even keep those if people like them so much, rename them circuit challenges or something, but do something new and innovating with the licenses.

It's like they used up all their innovation points with the first game and ever since have been incapable.

Last edited:
Just a list of some differences I like...
1. The cafe menu and tickets. Yes, most people wish there were more of them, but that's a sign of a good feature.
2. There's quite a few new cars, never enough, but they are good.
3. The AI opponents have personality and are based on real world drivers, so you can build up a history with them as you race.
4. By mixing liveries and tuning there's more customisation of cars than ever.
5. Flexible custom races - with select from garage option you can make any event you want. Impreza vs Evo, Lambo vs Ferrari, BTCC cars with downloaded liveries. Anything you like. This is my favourite feature.
6. The old used car garage is back and has been split into used and classic. Getting a rare car feels like an event now.
7. Lots of little graphical and UX improvements.

There's lots to enjoy here. Plus all the stuff that we liked from previously. That's why we bought GT7 and not another racer.

Double negatives aside the guy has a point. GT7 doesn't do or provide anything new. It's GTS + some bits of the older games with all the usual incremental improvements you'd expect at a minimum.

License tests were unique and interesting in GT1 but they have not evolved at all. Not even a tiny bit.Why do we not have a full on racing school by now, that actually teaches you the fundamentals of racing in a realistic manner, instead of driving around 3 corners in 26 seconds? They could even keep those if people like them so much, rename them circuit challenges or something, but do something new and innovating with the licenses.

It's like they used up all their innovation points with the first game and ever since have been incapable.
It's short bursts of engagement vs long sessions of learning. If you'd never really played a racing game before and GT7 was your very first GT game, would you want to spend hours just learning to drive, or would you want bite-sized challenges?

The issue is that there is no correct answer to the question above. Some people want short bursts of engagement and then they want to do something else, some people want long periods of learning where they focus on nothing but the license tests.

The solution is to give the player the option to choose - provide the content in such a way that they can either do shorts bursts or long stints.

I love the licenses.

I was tortured by the IA-10 license for more than a month. So frustrated. I tried and failed. Then I tried and failed again. At one point, I dared not enter the IA license menu ...

Last week, I golded the IA-10. It was such a joy! I even posted my video to YouTube (which I think is silly, as few might found anything interesting driving a single green car on a road of no other car) but I was so happy and forgot how silly it seemed ;-)

As a footnote, I can gold S-7 within 30 minute. Failing IA-10 for so long, in fact revealed some weakness in my driving style. The day I golded IA-10 was just after I cured one of my driving weaknesses.

Kaz knew that a lot of players avoided GT Sport because it looked like some useless spinoff, so he simply upgraded GT Sport and sold it as GT7, no brainer for him and most GT fans are none the wiser.

PD: GT Sport, with an all new structure
People: WE DON'T WANT NEW! WE WANT OLD STYLE GT!
PD: GT7, with traditional stuff returning
People: WE DON'T WANT MORE OF THE SAME STUFF! WE WANT SOMETHING NEW!

Also people: We want a GT game with new ideas but we don't want it to have new ideas because we want an old GT style game that isn't like the old ones!

FFS.

Last edited:
Other than other licence test races, is there any event that requires their completion? Struggling to think of any 12 months on.

The car dynamics in GT7 is totally different than in GT Sport (it's safe to say that we are on the third completely different physics on GT7 itself too :) ), if you play both games back to back, the cars feel and drive pretty different, not just a visual polish.

All the upgrade of the cars by upgrading or adding aftermarket/performance parts, like in any GT from 1 to 6 is also a huge depart from the idiotic mileage currency to improve power/weight values.

Or the PP system, with all the glitches and miscalculations that the community are finding out over and over is still better than the NX00 system, only based on maximum power output.

On Sport Mode, well, there is a qualy, then it match up players based on their ranks and quali times, then we race. Yap, very much the same any other racing game. Yes, the penalty system sucks... again, like any other game (in iRacing those flaws aren't explored like in any other game because of the report system with a human review possibility and a penalty/ban, but iRacing platform as an hefty bill through time with monthly fees, DLC cars and tracks...).

The car dynamics in GT7 is totally different than in GT Sport (it's safe to say that we are on the third completely different physics on GT7 itself too :) ), if you play both games back to back, the cars feel and drive pretty different, not just a visual polish.

All the upgrade of the cars by upgrading or adding aftermarket/performance parts, like in any GT from 1 to 6 is also a huge depart from the idiotic mileage currency to improve power/weight values.

Or the PP system, with all the glitches and miscalculations that the community are finding out over and over is still better than the NX00 system, only based on maximum power output.

On Sport Mode, well, there is a qualy, then it match up players based on their ranks and quali times, then we race. Yap, very much the same any other racing game. Yes, the penalty system sucks... again, like any other game (in iRacing those flaws aren't explored like in any other game because of the report system with a human review possibility and a penalty/ban, but iRacing platform as an hefty bill through time with monthly fees, DLC cars and tracks...).
It's obvious that what they've done is port over Sport's physics and remove the limitations, then expand on it in droves. In the process they've had some issues which they're still working on. But it leads to physics oddities for the players. Once the driving model is complete, at the last GT7 physics update, then let's see how different to GT Sport it plays. Now it's still too early to tell with an incomplete driving model you're only going to see one side of the story. They could even make the driving experience less realistic or less fun by the time the last update rolls around as they modify the physics engine.

Last edited:
PD: GT Sport, with an all new structure
People: WE DON'T WANT NEW! WE WANT OLD STYLE GT!
PD: GT7, with traditional stuff returning
People: WE DON'T WANT MORE OF THE SAME STUFF! WE WANT SOMETHING NEW!

Also people: We want a GT game with new ideas but we don't want it to have new ideas because we want an old GT style game that isn't like the old ones!

FFS.

Nothing is traditional in GT7.

What is the point of licenses when you don't even need to get past A to do races?
No license restrictions on them except on the championship ones.

No proper campaign, just a fetch quest.
Get me these cars which can be done by winning these races.

GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4, GT5, GT6 had endurance races.
GT7 only has 1 repeatable one.

GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4, GT5, GT6 all had one thing in common
GRAND VALLEY 300

We get Grand Valley
We don't get Grand Valley 300 race.

People want the concept of GTx but with improvements overall
Like new tracks and cars, and a proper AI.

What was the point of the hand holding at the start?
Oh no, you're level 2, you cant be trusted with a turbo.
Have a sports air filter instead.

Last edited:
Back