SR fault or "working as intended"?

• Thread starter rdks
  • 17 comments
rdks
Curious.. I know a lot of people that do track days and though I have yet to go personally, I think i know the rules in general.

The one I seem to see wrong here with SR is this. Track Rule: Slow cars are to give way by taking the outside line, giving the fast car the inside line.

Problem with GT's SR rating. If the fast car takes the inside line and then slides out and hits the outside car, the outside car gets penalized. I found this to be rather annoying and thinking i might of done something wrong.. let it go in an angry fit as I am trying to get my SR up.

Today, i am racing on the circle track and i was once again on the outside and got a SR drop when hit.. next few laps.. out of curiosity, i took the inside and slide up hitting the outside line car several times and what do you know.. no pen and in fact when i crossed the timing line, i got a green SR notice each time.

Personally, I think that is totally messed up and from now on, I am not going to be giving up the inside line at all and taking a neg SR rating because of the fast car not staying in control and using me as a bummer stop.

Small bumps dont seem to get penalized. Maybe you went off track or hit a wall causing the penalty or SR decrease.

SR goes up real fast when u drive well so dont mind it to much.

I noticed this as well while racing at Nurb GP (Gr.3). On the chicane before the last corner, if I go on the inside and come out on the outside line, if there's a car who enters on the outside and comes out on the inside and pushes me / bumps me, I get an orange SR flag, even though I did nothing wrong and was the other car that didn't hold his line.

if the inside car hits the outside car on a corner the outside car gets penalised, this happens to me on the final corners when you are about to win.
basically you need to be in 2nd place before the last corner to win at this game

Now that I know the outside car gets the hit to SR.. been driving inside.. and what do you know.. no more red hits to SR and there has been hits.

Now go figure.. that really is not the way to promote safe driving. But hey.. I want to get my rating up to get away from all the morons that think this is bumper cars.. soon should have people that drive like it is a real race.. so I do hope

I wouldn't worry about your SR dropping. Like everyone has said above, if you drive clean and can try to score some fast laps. Your rank will increase quickly. I went from D to S in Sportsmanship after about 30 races, I won 21 of those races in Group 4 alone. In one race, I got rammed into and went back down to A. After I won the next three races, I got my back into S. Although the system isn't fair at times, if you keep playing. You will get back to where you should be.

Ive come to conclusions its working pretty well. Yes you get penalized if someone rams you, but it seems the penalty is usually pretty small. Wouldnt worry too much of occasional orange sr marks as long as you dont get any time.

And just drive clean to go up on SR as when you get to SR B the races change drastically cleaner.

This is already being exploited if that's the case, cars sliding in on the inside when you're already in the corner and ahead of them, they're just using you to brake and knocking you off track. It'd be nice if it was implemented properly but 90% of the GTS crowd are casual gamers let alone casual race fans that have any understanding of the rules and etiquette in motorsport. A lot of people think SR is working because their SR is going up, that's not how the effectiveness of the system should be judged, its not like a high score you're trying to achieve to clock the game or something, there's no point everyone getting SR S if you can still frequently use dirty tactics and keep that rating or even a rating above C for that matter.

This is already being exploited if that's the case, cars sliding in on the inside when you're already in the corner and ahead of them, they're just using you to brake and knocking you off track. It'd be nice if it was implemented properly but 90% of the GTS crowd are casual gamers let alone casual race fans that have any understanding of the rules and etiquette in motorsport. A lot of people think SR is working because their SR is going up, that's not how the effectiveness of the system should be judged, its not like a high score you're trying to achieve to clock the game or something, there's no point everyone getting SR S if you can still frequently use dirty tactics and keep that rating or even a rating above C for that matter.

>there's no point everyone getting SR S if you can still frequently use dirty tactics

Well, i got an S but i do not drive dirty.

So, that's doesn't compute to everyone. ;)

You should worry on DR. Higher DR equals to higher SR. The SR system is using No Fault System. When there's contact, both parties will be penalized. Or see it this way, if there's an accident in IRL, both parties have to pay bill for repairs. ( just imagine the bill is SR currency )

I went from SR A to SR S today in 4 races. 3 of which I made contact with an outside driver of which was 100% my fault. I played the system and was rewarded for it. I feel dirty, I feel gross, I cost two players first place on the last corner on two occasions and was rewarded by the game for doing so. If this is how the game was intended to be played, than the SR system is perfect. If this is not how the game was intended to be played, than the system is flawed.

I gained more in 4 races being aggressive and dirty today than I did in the last 4 days of bouncing between DR B-A And SR B-A by being fair and clean.

I mention these SR failings in most SR threads because I don’t have my head in the sand about how glaringly contradictory the current SR system is and in the hope that PD is monitoring message boards and will see where improvement need to be made.

You should worry on DR. Higher DR equals to higher SR. The SR system is using No Fault System. When there's contact, both parties will be penalized. Or see it this way, if there's an accident in IRL, both parties have to pay bill for repairs. ( just imagine the bill is SR currency )

LOL. I stuck on E for DR. I haven't won a single match so far. Funny isn't?

But i have an "S" in Sportsmanship. I can live with that. ;)

The problem is both parties are not currently being penalised and more oftern than not it’s the victim of dirty driving that’s penalised. If it was a no fault system it would be fine, but I’ve been able to prove time and time again that that’s not always the case.

I don’t think this is true. The GTS system seems to be trying to be “cleverer” than the iRacing system and sometimes only one party to an incident gets the SR degrade or time penalty.

It’s difficult to know for sure without asking the other driver/comparing replays but I’ve certainly had times where I’ve not been penalised but the other car seems to be serving a penalty after contact.

In other races I’ve had a lot of contact with other cars going of track as a result, yet my SR was blue at the end. So there’s something else going on I think.

So far I guess PD takes account of track position and speed to determine who is where they should be and who is driving erratically. If this is true, that logic/algorithm may need refinement over time.

In iRacing I can clearly see how many incident points that I collected. I'm my 3rd day on GTS and still in the process to understand the system. What I can see just progress bar, thats all. So I'm assuming they are working like in iRacing.

And there's no race result after official race where I can see how many SR/DR points increase/decrease

if
I don’t think this is true. The GTS system seems to be trying to be “cleverer” than the iRacing system and sometimes only one party to an incident gets the SR degrade or time penalty.

It’s difficult to know for sure without asking the other driver/comparing replays but I’ve certainly had times where I’ve not been penalised but the other car seems to be serving a penalty after contact.

In other races I’ve had a lot of contact with other cars going of track as a result, yet my SR was blue at the end. So there’s something else going on I think.

So far I guess PD takes account of track position and speed to determine who is where they should be and who is driving erratically. If this is true, that logic/algorithm may need refinement over time.
that the case...then it's the improvement over iRacing SR system. Just more fine tuning.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SR system is not working as it should be.
I try to be as carefull as possible but if a car comes rocketing and hits me from behind, i will get SR negative, why is that?
And because of that my SR is still to low and i am still with those crazy drivers.
They really should change it, because like this, it is ridiculous.

All the points here are valid and the reason I started this thread. In hopes Poly reads and will do something about this. Basically, I have been playing dirty taking the inside.. and pushing the outside out to get my rating up as the D-E drivers are nuts and have no regards. A lot of times i give way to the faster car and they are going so fast and hit me and I am the one with the pen.

Now that I am at least an A.. i do what I can to drive nice. And really like it when I give the inside to a faster car and they take the pass correctly. Those people I will send a message after game and say thanks. They make racing a joy.

Back