Stance Cars and Why You Like Them

United States
USA
I'm sorry if this is taken. :lol: Anyways, I have noticed that many people like this type of customization on your car/vehicle. Stancing is popular in the JDM culture nowadays. Some are even German, American (Rare), and etc. This thread is for the stance lovers and of course, haters. And for those who do not know what stancing is and are lazy to Google it, here ya go.

mt1im1.jpg

Stance for me is a rather large truck with wideeeeeee tires. =P

I don't mind it when it's lowered enough for the car to actually be able to function as it was intended. It looks good, whilst being able to drive around town like any other car.

But some I have seen, like the Mustang above, the tyres are scraping the wheel arches when it's standing still. You show that thing a speed bump and it's just gonna scratch the crap out of the underbelly.

Stancing it, other than supposedly looking good, has one other function, it makes the car horribly impractical. And causes people like me to laugh at your stupidity when you drive along with your car bouncing around at 5mph barely able to cope with the virtually non-existent bumps in town.

Rant over.

Having said that, I suppose they do look good on magazine covers. But in the real world? Like I said, horribly impractical.

I don't mind it when it's lowered enough for the car to actually be able to function as it was intended. It looks good, whilst being able to drive around town like any other car.

But some I have seen, like the Mustang above, the tyres are scraping the wheel arches when it's standing still. You show that thing a speed bump and it's just gonna scratch the crap out of the underbelly.

Stancing it, other than supposedly looking good, has one other function, it makes the car horribly impractical. And causes people like me to laugh at your stupidity when you drive along with your car bouncing around at 5mph barely able to cope with the virtually non-existent bumps in town.

Rant over.

Having said that, they do look good on magazine covers. But in the real world? Like I said, horribly impractical.

Yeah, they're more of show and tell type of cars.

AVOID THIS VIDEO!

Depends what kind of "stance" we're talking about. Stance isn't really a thing, more like an image. Some people want their cars to look low, some people want them to look strong, some people want them to look outrageous. Either way, they're all better than looking high, weak, or boring.

These cars looks super low, like the BTCC car posted above, or like American lead sleds and lowriders which have been getting low for decades:

IMG_6393.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

These cars look wide and strong like what you might see on GT race cars as they try to fit the widest wheels and tires they can as close to the fenders as possible:

IMG_6346.jpg

ralph-ruiz-bbs-e34-title.jpg

stanceworks-australia-title.jpg

The Japanese do it slightly different than the Europeans. Where as Euro car fans typically favor pristine, clean style and luxurious like air-ride, Japanese car fans tend to prefer exaggerated "VIP" style and performance, going as far as making all the suspension components fully adjustable so they can maintain excellent car control while looking radical.

gswallpaper_andy-900x596.jpg

Black3_Cover-1110x743.jpg

legend-in-the-making-trans-1110x740.jpg

It used to be that VIP-style cars were painted black with shiny wheels. They are inspired by the cars Japanese Yakuza gangs would drive around in.

touge6-1110x740.jpg

takuyar.jpg

nas134.jpg

IdlersY.jpg

BADQUALITY.jpg

326****.jpg

32.jpg

MagicStreets.jpg

I like a lot of different styles but I prefer Japanese race, drift, and VIP styles.

EDIT: Anna+Reece knows what I'm talking about. That's an excellent example of a crazy looking car made to perform just as well.

maybe it's popular belief/ignorance, but lowered cars with a small bit of camber on rear wheel drive cars give me the impression that their drivers enjoy a nice slide sideways here and then, and so theres some decency in it, unless the driver also decides a hideous set of rims are needed too, in which case i am truly lost. what i dont understand is stancing front wheel drive cars and all wheel drive rides as well. With front wheel it seems alright because it makes for a more responsive ride if i am not mistaken, but with all wheel it completely kills the purpose of the ride in off-road/snowy conditions as the car will buckle and such.

But, as our state's culture goes says, "Stance will make her dance" so I guess all i can say is that the kids my age love it and it apparently looks different and attracts women so there is no argument against it. :/

Personally, I don't see the appeal of wheels being tucked inside of the fender. They look bad in my opinion.

I prefer functional stance.

Lightly lowered, with bigger, fatter wheels. Simple, to some "boring", but that's my cup of tea.

7412124808_b2cf110b00_z.jpg

med_gallery_42396_32221_112055494a667cd95e9e4.jpg

img4769g.jpg

And when my Enkei's eventually get here my WRX will be getting the same sort of style.

I do like the "stance" on thhe second image. It's low and still got enough clearence to not cause troublle. Pretty much ideal.

On the first image: I always wonder what's gonna happen if the suspension does compress. Even if it's just half an inch (assuming it's not on bags). Fender gone? Rim gone? Tyre gone? All gone? Now, I don't care if someone decides to deal with that. If someone's fine with the thought of being overtaken by pedestrian on anything but the most pristine of roads, that's okay. Thing is, it's kinda nasty because, usually, there's more than one car on the road. Slowing everybody and their mother down because your car can't deal with even the slightes bump in the road - well, you're being a jerk, in my opinion. Let alone the possible consequences that could occur if someone didn't drive super slow as soon as the going gets a little bumpy.

As far as show cars go, sure, not like that's bothering anyone. But having such a car on a pubblic roads seems to endanger and annoy way too many other people aside from the driver for me to actually be okay with it. Then again, I won't have to be okay with that - because hell would freeze over before a car with such stance would be allowed to drive on if caught by the police, at least around where I live. Not to mention that the TÜV would never approve of that, making it ilegal for road use, anyway.

I like stance cars, I think they look really good. I don't even mind the rusty VW's with roof racks on them either. But like every automotive trend there are always a group that ends up going about it the wrong way.

Also automotive trends that piss off purist are always ok in my book. A car should be an expression of what you like, not what you're told to like.

Well actually a car is a tool of transportation and the way these things sit removes that single use from them. Art forms they are not.

Well actually a car is a tool of transportation and the way these things sit removes that single use from them. Art forms they are not.

Cars are way more than just a tool of transportation for some people. Anyone who actually cares about their car and loves to drive sees their vehicle as something more than just an appliance.

And stanced cars are functional, my buddy has a Neon on coilovers and he drives the thing year around, on long trips with it on it's lowest setting. The front airdam is cracked front hitting things but the car didn't really lose it's functionality of being a car.

Cars are way more than just a tool of transportation for some people. Anyone who actually cares about their car and loves to drive sees their vehicle as something more than just an appliance.

Yeah, you see that WRX down there in my sig? I definitely care about it and love to drive it. It's an intoxicating little bugger.

It's number one job though is to get me from spot A to spot B. And if it's slammed as low as these "stanced" vehicles, especially on the 🤬 roads we have here, it wouldn't do said job very well. I'd certainly hate to be my WRX's turbo-back exhaust if it was.

And stanced cars are functional, my buddy has a Neon on coilovers and he drives the thing year around, on long trips with it on it's lowest setting. The front airdam is cracked front hitting things but the car didn't really lose it's functionality of being a car.

Quite vague example to try and prove the point.

I do like the "stance" on thhe second image. It's low and still got enough clearence to not cause troublle. Pretty much ideal.
You obviously have never looked under a 240sx or any variation of that chassis. That car probably has less than 2 inches of clearances to the frame rails, and the exhaust even less.

Yeah, you see that WRX down there in my sig? I definitely care about it and love to drive it. It's an intoxicating little bugger.

It's number one job though is to get me from spot A to spot B. And if it's slammed as low as these "stanced" vehicles, especially on the 🤬 roads we have here, it wouldn't do said job very well. I'd certainly hate to be my WRX's turbo-back exhaust if it was.

My point was cars can be more than just something that goes A to B and some cars don't even need to get you around all the time. I'd be willing to bet many people who own stanced cars, or any modified car really, have a second car too.

Quite vague example to try and prove the point.

Not really, the way you made it sound is that no vehicle lowered to "stanced" ride height could be functional. I was just providing an example of a vehicle that works while being rather low. Here's a picture of it even, and he has it even lower than that now, I just haven't seen the car in person since last fall so no pictures.

1iuu9Uw.jpg

My point was cars can be more than just something that goes A to B and some cars don't even need to get you around all the time.

...is there an echo in here or something?

I'd be willing to bet many people who own stanced cars, or any modified car really, have a second car too.

Well it would stand to reason if you can't use the stanced vehicle, by which I'm talking about the more "extravagant" examples, not the one I'll be getting to below.

Not really, the way you made it sound is that no vehicle lowered to "stanced" ride height could be functional.

Well take a look at a few of the examples on the previous page and tell me that they could function like the standard road-going versions of them.

I was just providing an example of a vehicle that works while being rather low.

No, you were describing a vehicle that simply had coilovers on their "lowest" setting. Incredibly vague, and also a hint towards actually posting a picture of it like you did just then.

Here's a picture of it even, and he has it even lower than that now, I just haven't seen the car in person since last fall so no pictures.

That's not much lower than this:

DSC_0004.jpg

which also functioned quite easily as a road-going vehicle just on TEIN coils and 19x8" Konig Unknowns. The "stance" I'm thinking about is the Civic, the VIP Lexus', the VAG cars with 1/4 of the wheel hiding under the guards, etc. on the previous page. That Neon and the Original SIC EM above, personally I disagree as to them being "stanced." I'm sure you'll disagree with my opinion but anyway.

...."stance" I'm thinking about is the Civic, the VIP Lexus', the VAG cars with 1/4 of the wheel hiding under the guards, etc. on the previous page. That Neon and the Original SIC EM above, personally I disagree as to them being "stanced." I'm sure you'll disagree with my opinion but anyway.

Some of those VIP car and I'd guess definitely the VAG's with the wheels tucked that are more than likely on air, which makes them entirely functional. Typically if a car looks like it can't drive what-so-ever because it's too low, there's a good chance it's on adjustable suspension.

Back