Star Trek Actor Anton Yelchin Dies In Accident

• Thread starter Robin
  • 81 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I cannot believe this, he was only 27! what a tragic freak accident.

bc812498e040fa7fb462e26aef655497.jpg

Star Trek's Anton Yelchin dies in freak accident aged 27 after being run over by his own car
  • Found early Sunday morning on his steep driveway pinned between car and a brick mailbox
  • Vehicle was in neutral and engine was still running; police say no suspicious circumstances
  • Rising star will next be seen alongside in Star Trek Beyond, out in July
  • Tributes flooded in, with friend Anna Kendrick calling him 'such a talent', and co-star John Cho writing 'I'm in ruins'
Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin has died in a freak car accident at the age of 27.

The body of the Russian-born actor was found at around 1am on his driveway in San Fernadino, California. He had been hit by his own car, reports TMZ. A friend found Yelchin's body pinned between his car and a brick mail box, which was attached to a security gate. The car was in neutral at the time with the engine still running, with the source adding that the driveway had a steep incline. The friend visited the home after growing concerned when Yelchin failed to attend a planned rehearsal earlier in the evening. Police told the website that there were not thought to be any suspicious circumstances. Yelchin's publicist confirmed the death.

Yelchin started small with roles in indie films and various television shows, before breaking out in films like the crime thriller Alpha Dog and the teenage comedy Charlie Bartlett. His biggest role to date had been in the rebooted Star Trek films — the third of which, Star Trek Beyond comes out in July. Yelchin, an only child, was born in Russia. His parents were professional figure skaters who moved the family to the United States when Yelchin was a baby.

'This is unreal,' the actor's friend Anna Kendrick tweeted on Sunday. 'Anton Yelchin is such a talent. Such a huge loss.' His Star Trek co-star John Cho added: 'I loved Anton Yelchin so much. He was a true artist - curious, beautiful, courageous. He was a great pal and a great son. I'm in ruins.' Chad Michael Murray tweeted: Just heard about Anton Yelchin. What a great talent and good young man. Gone far too soon...Terrible loss. You will be missed.' British comedian Matt Lucas wrote: 'Dreadful news about Anton Yelchin. I thought he was an amazing actor.'

People will probably best remember him from the Star Trek reboot films and also Terminator Salvation were he played Kyle Reese. RIP.

Last edited:
...What a freaky incident. I hear cops are treating this as an accidental death.

Not having seen how steep the driveway is, I just can't fathom how he got pinned like that but the pros are saying no foul play so I'll just have to take their word for it...

Rest in peace.

P.S. He was 27. The Ominous number strikes again. :nervous:

This year is seriously one of the worst years I could think of. So many horrible events, famous people, good people passing away. Hopefully this really is the worst we could get and it gets better from here.

R.I.P Anton Yelchin.

Chekov: Ensign Authorisation Code 95 Wictor Wictor 2
Computer: Authorisation not recognised

I still get a laugh out of that.

Apparently in Russian cinemas when the new Star Trek came out some of the crowd cheered and slightly welled up with pride when Anton said the line "Ensign Chekov, Pavel Andreievich reporting for duty sir."

He, like the original Chekov, represented something special. He wasn't playing the typical Hollywood Russian who was a villain or some side character but a hero and a lead member of the cast. The fact the he was also actually born in Russia meant a lot to them.

That is a big mantle to carry and I still think about this when I saw him over the years because he was pretty much representing a country.

Jeez, this sucks. I really liked the new Chekov. 27 years old. Hard to believe. R.I.P. Chekov.

Always liked the guy, it's the only reason I could watch Alpha-dog (I think that was the name). Really a sad event, he will be missed.

Not having seen how steep the driveway is, I just can't fathom how he got pinned like that but the pros are saying no foul play so I'll just have to take their word for it...

There are pictures on the net and I could see how it happened. The drive is actually not that steep but it's a funnel shape with nowhere to run and I can imagine a heavy 2.5 tonne Jeep even rolling at 2 mph is going to be unstoppable.

There is now some talk about that particular Jeep Grand Cherokee having a recall over a confusing electronic gear stick which has caused a number of crashes. The design makes it easy to forget the car is left in neutral rather than park and can deselect the selected gear by accident.... there could be legal action to follow. I don't know if this is going to turn into a Paul Walker Porsche style thing again.

3579AB6800000578-3649910-image-a-1_1466413273089.jpg

There are pictures on the net and I could see how it happened. The drive is actually not that steep but it's a funnel shape with nowhere to run and I can imagine a heavy 2.5 tonne Jeep even rolling at 2 mph is going to be unstoppable.

There is now some talk about that particular Jeep Grand Cherokee having a recall over a confusing electronic gear stick which has caused a number of crashes. The design makes it easy to forget the car is left in neutral rather than park and can deselect the selected gear by accident.... there could be legal action to follow. I don't know if this is going to turn into a Paul Walker Porsche style thing again.

...Oh right, there was that recall debacle. I forgot about that.

Damn, if the faulty auto trannie was at fault, you can bet your rear end that FCA is getting sued for many millions.

3579AB6800000578-3649910-image-a-1_1466413273089.jpg

From experience, that shifter is awful to use. There's no sense of "position", and it doesn't accomplish anything more than the traditional lever does, other than look dainty. You have to look twice to make sure you're in the right shifting mode (or you can roll in neutral or accidentally keep it in reverse or stay in park), which doesn't make driving any easier, it just adds a pointless challenge to an everyday task.

A truly sad and unfortunate loss thanks to an utterly pointless change in technology. :(

LAPD confirmed to Jalopnik that is was a 2015 Grand Cherokee and that is was one of the 1.1 million models recalled with the ZF 8-speed.

RIP

Only reason they are "investigating" is cause a famous person got killed.
If it were average joe, they wouldn't really care.

Well he's the only one to die from their shifter issue so far (if that's the case), though there have been other injuries.

I am basing it on the history of other types of recalls.

GMs ignition issue.
How many died before GM did something?

Now lets say a famous person was 10th person to die due to the fault, would have GM fixed the issue earlier?

Now lets say a famous person was 10th person to die due to the fault, would have GM fixed the issue earlier?
Probably. Unfortunately it takes the death of someone in the public eye to bring attention to issues like this.

Well he's the only one to die from their shifter issue so far (if that's the case), though there have been other injuries.
Probably. Unfortunately it takes the death of someone in the public eye to bring attention to issues like this.
So the investigation is concluded and the shifter is to blame? That was fast. Why can't they investigate all crimes this quickly?

So the investigation is concluded and the shifter is to blame? That was fast. Why can't they investigate all crimes this quickly?

If the shifter is to blame, that means all cars that have been sold world wide will need to be bought back due to a design fault, this will cost billions.
I kind hope it happens, Jeep needs to go bust so they no longer sell their crap.

I had no idea what year or kind of vehicle it was before details were released. But I told my girl he either left it in gear or forgot to set the parking brake. These week+ investigations don't need to take so long. Anyone with common sense can figure it out.

Who said that? Read my first post again, I said "if that's the case" = not a sure thing.
My mistake, sorry.

Although the second quote presumes there is an issue to begin with when it may have, in fact, been simply driver error...

Only reason they are "investigating" is cause a famous person got killed.
If it were average joe, they wouldn't really care.
No, they are investigating it because they already have a recall notice out on that year of Grand Cherokee that is considered so serious that we can't even sell the damn things if we take one in used until Chrysler figures out a way to fix it.

Back