Strange PlayStation Store discount message.

stupidstormy36

Velocima Motorsports
Premium
United States
California
stupidstormy36
Stormy036
Say, I was wondering about a message I just received. It sounds and looks very fishy. What do you guys think?

The message his here:

Subject:

Playstation network: We are pleased to report that the PlayStation Store will very soon issue discounts up to 50%, to celebrate this event, we are honored to tell you that if you send this message to 25 people Your account will be credited with 50 dollars, we follow the movement live, you'll notice a warn if you send 25 messages, and 50 dollars will be automatically credited to your account playstation

This is the message in entirety, word for word and 100% accurate. I strongly believe this is a scam of some sort. Aside from the numerous grammar errors, there is no subject heading, no signature at the end, the word "PlayStation" is spelled three different ways, inconsistant punctualization, and the fact that this was never mentioned anywhere on the official PlayStation, PSN or PlayStation Store websites. Also, at first the message looks unfinished, but then I realized that the last two words are probably switched by accident. It is also missing the period at the end. Sony would not contact you in this matter regarding such an event.

It is true that the PlayStation Store does have discounts on their products, but they are already displayed and well known about. In the message, it says "very soon". Do yourselves a favor and don't fall for such an obvious scam.

This isn't a scam, it's just a spam message, they have been around forever. Delete it and block the person who sent it.

That's what I figured. I would block the person who sent it, but it came from one of my friends, so I'm not sure if he's aware of it. I did send a reply message to him inquiring about the message, but I haven't gotten a response back yet. I was just curious if anybody else received the same message.

Thanks for the replys guys.

I ignore all messages like this that I find in the message box from friends. I seriously doubt Sony would rely on word of mouth to promote a new service etc. When in doubt if that offer wasn't sent from Sony to your email address that you sign onto the PSN with, it's more then likely not a legit offer.

Yes, that's what I figured. Usually Sony will announce such a thing on one of their official websites, or under the What's New section under PlayStation Network in the PS3's XMB (or even the top right notice bar on your PS3). Utilizing the IM or PM system with the PS3 alone will not provide a healthy promotion of whatever is being promoted in the message.

Maybe it's not like a regular scam, but it is definitely a spam message.

Yes, that's what I figured. Usually Sony will announce such a thing on one of their official websites, or under the What's New section under PlayStation Network in the PS3's XMB (or even the top right notice bar on your PS3). Utilizing the IM or PM system with the PS3 alone will not provide a healthy promotion of whatever is being promoted in the message.

Maybe it's not like a regular scam, but it is definitely a spam message.

Off topic, what is the top right notice bar? I don't seem to get one

The top right notice bar (right now, the official name escapes me right now) is where certain news and information is displayed in regards to the PSN (mostly the PS Store) about discounts, new releases/demos, events, promotions, etc. It is located to the top right when in the PS3's XMB. It is also displayed right below your friends count, any messages you may have, and the system date and time.

Back