Surround sound

• Thread starter P Skelly
  • 12 comments
United States
Florida
Hi all,

Has anyone had any issue with getting surround sound to work? I have a 5.1 surround sound system and i can only get GT to play in stereo.

Looking through the settings i found what you are seeing. I hope they patch in 5.1 seems silly to not have that option as its probably the most common surround sound setup still.

Hi all,

Has anyone had any issue with getting surround sound to work? I have a 5.1 surround sound system and i can only get GT to play in stereo.
Yes it works just fine for me and I have a 5.1 Sony receiver. Just select 7.1 in settings and it will work just like a 5.1.

I have an Onkyo 6.1 system and the setup works just fine work with the game set to 7.1. I have the PS4 connected to my TV through HDMI and the receiver gets a digital (optical) feed from the TV.

What kind of receiver do you have? Are you hooking it up to the ps4 via hdmi or optical?
Don’t remember the model but it’s older. 7.1 is just 5.1 with side speakers so it doesn’t matter if it’s set to 7.1. It will operate as if it was set at 5.1.

Mine is optical from TV to receiver because the receiver doesn’t pass through 4K.

At first I was confused as well, but then I realized that your sound output is ultimately governed by the PS4 OS. Mine is set to 5.1 DTS so if the game sends 7.1, the 2 extra channels are discarded (or possibly combined). Either way 5.1 works as you would expect despite not having an explicit in game option for it.

I have a Sony 5.1 surround reciever STR-DH540 ... HDMI connected to the reciever from PS4 and then another one that goes to the tv ... Sound stays in the reciever image goes to the tv

If I set dts or Dolby in the PS4 menue the reciever instantly recognizes that and I have sound in all speakers in the menue in a setting (sound field) called afd auto which means unedited audio from the source

But in games (gt sport and pes 2018) I only get 2.1 ... I can change the sound field to get 5.1 by that will just upmix the source and distribute it equally between the speakers ... That's not surround ... Works fine for music but in games I expect something else

I have a Sony DAV-DZ660 5.1 sound system and it's connected to the PS4 via Optical cable. Looks like 7.1 option in GTS works fine.

I parked a BMW i3 near the spectator stands and rotated the camera- the noise switched between all speakers.
Switching to 2.1 option doesn't provide the rear speakers with sound, but DTS logo is still displayed on the receiver.

I have a Sony DAV-DZ660 5.1 sound system and it's connected to the PS4 via Optical cable. Looks like 7.1 option in GTS works fine.

I parked a BMW i3 near the spectator stands and rotated the camera- the noise switched between all speakers.
Switching to 2.1 option doesn't provide the rear speakers with sound, but DTS logo is still displayed on the receiver.

Though, i also have a 5.1 AV (Pioneer) connected via Optical, but when i connect (daisychain) my buttkicker Gamer 2 to the subwoofer out of the AV, (or just use the subwoofer alone) the game doesn't seem to provide any signals on/for the subwoofer channel???? Anybody having a idea?

EDIT: It actually works. The game DOES provide subwoofer channel. You just have to crank up the over all volume pretty much (compared to games like CoD, that mix in the sub woofer effects at a relatively much higher level.)

Back