Suzuki - TOYOTA alliance

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 7 comments
Australia
Australia
SpacedustDaddy
Wonder where this will take us https://www.goauto.com.au/news/toyota/toyota-and-suzuki-form-capital-alliance/2019-08-29/79789.html

Subject to regulatory approval, Toyota will invest ¥96 billion ($A1.35b) to acquire a 4.94 per cent stake in Suzuki, while Suzuki will purchase ¥48b ($A670 million) of Toyota shares, equivalent to a holding of approximately 0.2 per cent.

In a joint announcement, Toyota and Suzuki said the alliance was formed “to establish and promote a long-term partnership between the two companies for promoting collaboration in new fields, including the field of autonomous driving”.

Specific outcomes of the capital alliance are yet to be revealed, but the collaboration announced in March will spawn electrified Suzukis for European consumption based on the Toyota RAV4 and Corolla wagon, with Toyota gaining greater access to the Indian market with compact models based on the Maruti Ciaz and Ertiga platforms as well as a range of Indian-made models for export to Africa.

Toyota has existing financial relationships with Mazda and Subaru, while Suzuki partnered with General Motors for many years before its unsuccessful tie-up with Volkswagen Group was established in 2009 and ended with an acrimonious split in 2015.
Sure, the electric thing is cool, but... working with Mazda and Suzuki, who know how to trim weight and add performance, plus their Gazoo Racing program, I think we'll see some cool cars stem from this.

Wonder where this will take us https://www.goauto.com.au/news/toyota/toyota-and-suzuki-form-capital-alliance/2019-08-29/79789.html

Sure, the electric thing is cool, but... working with Mazda and Suzuki, who know how to trim weight and add performance, plus their Gazoo Racing program, I think we'll see some cool cars stem from this.
Maybe it will lead to that S-FR (or whatever that was called) to be a thing lol.

Cute little roadster supposedly targeted to start at sub-$15k before it died :(

Yep, S-FR.
toyota-s-fr-preview-image-new.jpg

A case can be made for the Swift Sport, if the Vitara turbo was sold alongside it.

I've got say, I haven't seen many SSS since debut. I test drove one, but only seen less than a handful. One of my wife's co-workers traded their (Liberty)Legacy 3.0L wagon for a white SSS.
The lesser models certainly are in traffic, but not many SSS. I think the price is too high, compared to the last NA model and cars in this segment. Nearly $6000($8000 with the auto) more than top of the line Mazda2/Honda Jazz.

However, it's kind of like an MX-5/124, in that, no one else offers anything like it(I still can't get over that 970kg SSS and 886kg for the base model). On that note, a GRMN Yaris is nearly double the price.

Back