Team BMW Mclaren F1 GTR top speed?

• Thread starter sennafreak
  • 8 comments

sennafreak

(Banned)
Just acquired it and barely managed to top 300km/h on mulsanne (normal le mans track with chicanes).

Seems a little on the slow side in stock version, is that realistic i wonder?
The speed statistic parameter also gives it a 7.1 only...

I would have thought it would be around at least 340kph, did you get a good run out Tertre Rouge?

I think even with a perfect run out of there (4th gear with a slight touch of the brakes before entering), you'll only manage 300 tops by the time the first chicane pops up.

The graphs don't lie neither, 7.1 top speed whilst many S class cars and onwards get 8 till 10.

Have you messed around with the gear ratios? The car in Forza may not be set up the same it would be in real life as I'm sure it visited tracks where top speed wasn't as important as it is at Le Mans. Although that does sound slower than I would of thought.

Have you messed around with the gear ratios? The car in Forza may not be set up the same it would be in real life as I'm sure it visited tracks where top speed wasn't as important as it is at Le Mans. Although that does sound slower than I would of thought.

First thing i did, i mostly just tried adjusting the final gear ratio, as to not screw up the balance too much between the gears. setting it a little back for more top speed makes it not even reaching sixth gear anymore...

I also lessened the downforce but to no avail, speedometer maxes out at 293 km/h before the braking point.

The only way to do it, seems tuning it a class higher to R1, maybe then we reach proper speeds. Shouldn't be this way tough, how can a Le mans winner top out before 300 k's in stock version :confused:.

Is there anything on the internet where it mentions the top speed? Or possibly a video with the speedometer visible (I would check but I'm going to sleep in a few). I believe that car was in the GT1 class rather than being a full on prototype so that might explain the low top speed, and I've read somewhere that there was a lot of rain which made the differences between the times of GT1 and prototypes very small but the GT1 cars could last longer on fuel and tyres but I'm not sure if that's about a different year.

From wikipedia:

"The engine also saw extensive modification, with a stroke reduction bringing the BMW S70 V12 down to 5,990 cubic centimetres (366 cu in) in an attempt to prolong the life of the engines, while still maintaining the air restrictor-controlled 600 brake horsepower (447 kW). The stock gearbox was replaced with a new X-trac 6-speed sequential transmission.

A total of ten more GTRs were built, with none of the previous cars being upgraded to the 1997-spec. In order to be allowed to construct cars that were so radically different from the F1 road car, McLaren was forced to build production cars using the GTR '97's bodywork. These cars became known as the F1 GT, of which only three were built. The 1997-spec cars are commonly referred to as the "Long Tail" version due to their stretched bodywork, most noticeably in the rear.

At Le Mans 1997, the car reached 317 kilometres per hour (196.97 mph) on the Mulsanne straight. This was still slightly slower than some of the field (Porsche 911 GT1 Evo - 326 kilometres per hour (202.57 mph), Nissan R390 GT1 - 319 kilometres per hour (198.22 mph), TWR Porsche Joest LMP - 320 kilometres per hour (198.84 mph)."

This explains it might be a tad slower on top speed compared to a GT-one or other Le mans racers in the game, but a 7.1 speed parameter and a max speed of 295 an hour, doesn't reflect reality neither...

Many normal road cars surpass that top speed, so i think Turn 10 did a cockup there setting up the car.

Well I guess T10 did something wrong with the car then. I might try it out later and see if I can get any closer to that speed, maybe the aero that T10 puts on is slowing the car down too much because of the drag, kind of like how on GT5 aero doesn't make too much difference to the top speed.

I'm a little surprised you all didn't really notice this so far, ... well there are a lot of worthy alternatives to drive around in the game no ;).

Back