The A.I. has basically cost me ONE THIRD OF THE CREDITS!

• Thread starter RSClio182
  • 37 comments

RSClio182

(Banned)
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Well not quite a whole third but it is close because I hardly ever get a clean race bonus.

They brake in odd places, hog the racing line, drive too slow round the corners. Basically similar to how noobs do online, just without the total no brake shadow realm slam! Sometimes I will hit them and it's my fault, but then weirdly at the end I get a CRB it's crazy. Trying hugely to avoid touching them and it's a nightmare. I feel a sense of relief when I get to fifth or so without incident, I'll go on to win without ever getting within a foot of them and sure enough... NO CRB!

PD needs to sort this out in my opinion. They should implement something on screen so we know where we are going wrong. I was thinking a three strike rule or something... Rubbing is racing! Light touches should not just instantly rob the player of a third of the money. So little minor bumps and brushes give you a strike, a little tap on the wall gives you a strike etc. Obviously anything major instantly wipes out all three strikes. They could display a small little traffic light somewhere on screen (there's enough other carp there anyway!), green, amber, red and you've lost the CRB.

Cedits are hard enough to come by already. Being robbed of a third of the cash when I feel I've had a clean run. It is mildly annoying to put it lightly.

Edit

Sportmanship rank - S
Driver rank - B

Been playing since GT1 and have played / near completed, every game. Platinum trophy on GT5. I know how to drive.

It ain't me I swear LOL

Last edited:
Yes, it's odd, sometimes. But I think, the system is MUCH more forgiving, than it was in GT sport. I would absolutely love an indicator in the HUD, though. Maybe just a little dot somewhere, that turns from green to red, or from whatever to off. I would like to know, if the whoopsie, I just did, turned the clean race bonus off.

The AI are decent if you understand them, and they don't race like normal drivers, so you have to spend some time learning what they do and when. There is a pattern to them and a way to race them.

You can say it's not you, but it is up to you to learn them, if you want that clean race bonus, because they sure aren't going to change

The AI are decent if you understand them, and they don't race like normal drivers, so you have to spend some time learning what they do and when. There is a pattern to them and a way to race them.

You can say it's not you, but it is up to you to learn them, if you want that clean race bonus, because they sure aren't going to change
That's exactly it. Only this behavior of the AI makes clean overtaking possible.

They brake in odd places, hog the racing line, drive too slow round the corners. Basically similar to how noobs do online, just without the total no brake shadow realm slam!
I think that's it exactly. The AI are programmed to behave like a new player who is trying to be clean, rather than a good, fast driver.
Having said that though, I have been pit manoeuvred by an AI; the AI stuck to its path rather than giving me, the lead car, space on the exit of a corner.

m76
The CRB bonus is weird anyway I have no idea what is the criteria for it. There were several races that I Though were clean and I didn't g get it, while I got it on some very messy races with multiple incidents.
Exactly the same for me !

Whatever you do don't crash while You're ahead by about a second because the AI will not try to avoid you or slow down. I've had a few ocasions where I was ahead of the AI by 1+ seconds and I spun on the racing line only for an AI car to plow straight into me and push me down the track until they spun me into a barrier or onto the track and they continued on as if I wasn't even there. What happened to the all magical AI they were boasting about?

The AI basically drives as if you’re not there so you have to plan your overtakes accordingly. I’ve found it’s relatively easy to get a CRB unless I’m using an underpowered car and have to compensate by getting my elbows out. I think going off track/hitting a wall also sacrifices CRB.

I don't think AI has the same driving style. I think it changes throughout the menu books.
I started on my second account, might as well get the 1 million credit gift, and instantly noticed how the AI are much softer in earlier menu books

I have yet to experiment with the different AI difficulty levels. Something I might try if I run out of content.

Edit - in single-player, I turn the racing line on, as most of the AI somehow try to follow this. I therefore try to overtake by keeping off the racing line.

Last edited:
Well not quite a whole third but it is close because I hardly ever get a clean race bonus.

They brake in odd places, hog the racing line, drive too slow round the corners. Basically similar to how noobs do online, just without the total no brake shadow realm slam! Sometimes I will hit them and it's my fault, but then weirdly at the end I get a CRB it's crazy. Trying hugely to avoid touching them and it's a nightmare. I feel a sense of relief when I get to fifth or so without incident, I'll go on to win without ever getting within a foot of them and sure enough... NO CRB!

PD needs to sort this out in my opinion. They should implement something on screen so we know where we are going wrong. I was thinking a three strike rule or something... Rubbing is racing! Light touches should not just instantly rob the player of a third of the money. So little minor bumps and brushes give you a strike, a little tap on the wall gives you a strike etc. Obviously anything major instantly wipes out all three strikes. They could display a small little traffic light somewhere on screen (there's enough other carp there anyway!), green, amber, red and you've lost the CRB.

Cedits are hard enough to come by already. Being robbed of a third of the cash when I feel I've had a clean run. It is mildly annoying to put it lightly.

Edit

Sportmanship rank - S
Driver rank - B

Been playing since GT1 and have played / near completed, every game. Platinum trophy on GT5. I know how to drive.

It ain't me I swear LOL
I've noticed a change from the old ones too, they'll go for gaps and try and out brake you in this one, cost me a few times. It is a bit annoying but I think it's better, older ai was just on a rail lol

Most of the times I lose the clean race bonus are because I've run a teeny bit wide on one corner in the entire race. That's all it seems to take, just one instance of a lap that wouldn't count in time trial mode. It's annoying because it incentivises really boring safe driving just to avoid losing the bonus. Contact with the AI seems to mostly be okay provided it's side to side and not too hard.

Yes, it's odd, sometimes. But I think, the system is MUCH more forgiving, than it was in GT sport. I would absolutely love an indicator in the HUD, though. Maybe just a little dot somewhere, that turns from green to red, or from whatever to off. I would like to know, if the whoopsie, I just did, turned the clean race bonus off.

This please!

PD needs to sort this out in my opinion. They should implement something on screen so we know where we are going wrong. ...

Rubbing is racing!

These two thoughts have been on my mind as well, especially since i can do the WTC700 with 3 CRB's with my R32, but with a Mitsi GTO, i'm lucky to get one..

I've contacted walls and cars lightly and keep my bonus, but an actual clean race maybe with once off the track ever so slightly.. forget it 😖

An indicator would be great.. even just a corner in the lap time display turning red or a letter "C" in the HUD that disappears if you dirty your race.

Edit: i also agree with the AI being really dumb, like omg fml 😖 i was passing a yellow mustang and it suddenly swerves into me at high speed, sending my car off track, sideways at like 200km/h..
Not to mention the brake checks in corners - low speed can be avoided - but trailing in a full-throttle corner, that's a restart 😒

Last edited:
I agree that the AI is freaking brutal and I've basically given up trying to get clean race bonuses. They're weirdly fast in areas they shouldn't be and they're ridiculously slow in areas they shouldn't be. They brake in place where even a slow human driver wouldn't think to brake. Often it takes me multiple attempts at a race just to learn what they are doing so I can plan my passes ahead of time due to them completely eliminating many passing opportunities through nonsensical driving lines, poor technique, and sheer aggression. They don't give way, they don't avoid contact, and they'll gladly hog a line and spin you without even realizing they're still there. As I've entered the more advanced races this has become a seriously time consuming problem.

They do drive slow, even with the highest setting in AI Skill.
They brake in the middle of the apex(A thing since GT5 IIRC)
When they get in one of their little duels there is little room to overtake on some tracks.

Yeah, it's a crazy thing. I always try to get a clean bonus just for extra credits. But I've noticed that we've got to be cautious in order to be clean & stay wary of the AI cars at turns & braking points. But this then costs time & possibly a race win.

The Clean race bonus though isn't consistent all over. If I were to go a bit wide on some turn or slightly touch an AI car, I still get the clean race bonus. I think unless You make a big collision or a big blunder, the clean race bonus will appear.

Yeah, it's a crazy thing. I always try to get a clean bonus just for extra credits. But I've noticed that we've got to be cautious in order to be clean & stay wary of the AI cars at turns & braking points. But this then costs time & possibly a race win.

The Clean race bonus though isn't consistent all over. If I were to go a bit wide on some turn or slightly touch an AI car, I still get the clean race bonus. I think unless You make a big collision or a big blunder, the clean race bonus will appear.
I'm almost convinced at this point the carrot of the CRB and the just downright psychopathy of the AI are fully intentional and designed around making you grind more, but that's my hot-take.

What also comes into play is psychology: whenever I really tried to achieve the CRB something stupid happens, be it a car crashing into me(or rather vice versa) or I just miss the track in an really easy turn on the last round of the race...on the other hand, when I just race and don't bother about the CRB at all, I make it quite often...

They do drive slow, even with the highest setting in AI Skill.
They brake in the middle of the apex(A thing since GT5 IIRC)
When they get in one of their little duels there is little room to overtake on some tracks.
That is so true, I had a race on Mount Panorama and the AI were fighting on that back straight. First time I tried to overtake and my wheels toughed the grass and I spun out...Had to start over for the CRB. Second time around I waited until they finished fighting before I made my move. I do fully agree and have always said If I can just have an indicator during the race to let me know if I will get my CRB or not.

Back