The Docs Classic Tunes:Honda RA 272

• Thread starter bigmull
  • 5 comments
England
England
Just had to be done,such a great car,i hope we will get more Classic open wheel racing cars.This was a great one to tune.The only limiting factor is tyre wear,you will get just over 9 laps of Le Mans on a tank of fuel.Enjoy this gem.
332869202_2190425337808163_1244506874906866804_n.jpg
hl3.jpg
hl2.jpg
hl1.jpg

Last edited:
Simply……. Outstanding………!!!!!!!!

I did set the brake balance to -5. Drivers with better control will do fine at 0.

Last edited:
Just had to be done,such a great car,i hope we will get more Classic open wheel racing cars.This was a great one to tune.The only limiting factor is tyre wear,you will get just over 9 laps of Le Mans on a tank of fuel.Enjoy this gem.
View attachment 1234575View attachment 1234576View attachment 1234577View attachment 1234578
In another thread it's mentioned that moving a ballast towards the front causes even tyre wear. (Assume this means it wears slower on back, rather than fast at both ends...).

luv2drive
OK, if you guys want to have a blast in VR, do what I did yesterday with the RA272:

',, Take this tune https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...our-setups-tips-and-cars.408979/post-13958156

Put on RH tires and and take it out to Mount Panorama in NIGHT mode on Time Trial and run some laps. You'll be seeing stars... literally!!

The one screen capture doesn't show it, but there's a High RPM Turbo on it also (I think I used Medium RPM and lowered the ECU a little more but not sure what difference it makes)

This tune is super responsive and balanced, and the view with the open cockpit on Mount P is fantastic. Looks great at dawn also, especially from the top of the mountain.

The tune was originally done by @specops for the Tokyo event and it's great there too. The key is the extra ballast. I didn't tweak it at all to add more power and see what else it can do, but I definitely plan to experiment with it. The RA272 is quickly becoming one of my favorite cars, especially because of VR.''
I'm walking back from this a bit. IMs, high RPM turbo and ballast make the Honda a sweetheart. Only had a single try with this setup, but it was about as easy to drive as any car I've tried. Ballast in the front takes care of the tendency to oversteer on heavy braking and also balances the tire wear almost entirely between the front and back. So one doesn't have to worry about either fuel or tires here. Just drive. It was so easy that I don't think I'm gonna bother tuning the suspension or LSD at all. Beautiful machine.

View attachment 1234205

Last edited:
I have tweaked the suspension settings and altered the gearing slightly.I have managed to reduce the rear tyre wear quite a bit but i think i can get it a wee bit more better.I tweaked the LSD as well and now its more stable in corners and a higher cornering speed.Once i have got it sorted i will post the new settings.It can now do the whole 30 min race without stopping as long as the weather holds.

My first attempt at Jim Clarks Lotus.I need to sort out the Team Lotus logo though.
333914355_962179764945266_7284405123513654391_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back