The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
Until now I did not have any issues with framedrops. However I hear playing as a Mage can cause framedrops because of the magicspells. Since I play as a Nordic Warriores I did not notice those issues.

Visuals look crisp and sound is very nice to, birds are singing, bears roar and wind and snow well sound good too :D

I am really happy with the PS3 version 👍

So I got a day off today to play this game, just did the start sequence and I'l say this. On the PC.

Graphics : Initially I had poor performance (HD6970) even tho it auto set me to Ultra settings, and I also had some input lag issues with my mouse. I turned off the in game settings for AA and AF then turned them on in the CCC instead, this completely fixed my FPS issues.

I'm about to install a new 6970. Can I ask what processor you have and what res you are running at?

I'm about to install a new 6970. Can I ask what processor you have and what res you are running at?

I7 2600k processor, running at 1920x1080 resolution, ultra settings. Just be sure to set the ingame AA/AF off and turn them on in the CCC (graphics card driver settings). VSync appears to be on, I don't know how to turn it off (it isnt in the graphics options, and I couldnt find it in the settings ini file), but I'm getting 60fps.

After playing some more, the game does look amazing, so much better than oblivion. Still has the same look and feel about it though, I guess that is expected.

Until now I did not have any issues with framedrops. However I hear playing as a Mage can cause framedrops because of the magicspells. Since I play as a Nordic Warriores I did not notice those issues.

Visuals look crisp and sound is very nice to, birds are singing, bears roar and wind and snow well sound good too :D

I am really happy with the PS3 version 👍

That's good to hear, cheers mate 👍

Only thing left to endure now is the five hours of the day left at work before I can hightail it home and get it installing! Five hours is going to feel like a lifetime. I should have picked it up after work, not before, but I couldn't help myself!

For PC users, how is it running for you guys? Runs very, very nice here. 👍

Specs:

Core i3 2100T (2.5Ghz)
AMD HD5670 1GB DDR5
4GB RAM

I get a solid 40-45 FPS outside, 50-60 FPS inside, looks gorgeous.

My settings:

Resolution: 1920x1080
Anti aliasing: off
Anisotropic filtering: off

Texture Q: high
Radial Blur Q: medium
Shadow detail: medium
Decal Q: high

FXAA: on

Water: reflect everything

Viewing distance: all max
Distant object detail: medium
Object detail fade: off

Putting shadows at medium and reducing the detail of distant object gave me a massive boost in FPS. AA is not needed at high resolutions IMO (especially with the FXAA on), and I still have to experiment a bit with AF.

Some of the views even early on look great.

PS3 Version - iPhone taken of Sony 46" LCD TV

I've also got a scanned version of the Map on my Flickr account scaled for iPad if anyone wants it.

That looks awesome, and I will be finally playing it within the hour :)

Unless of course my missus goes into labour.

Can't wait to go pick this up tonight!!! I think my head will be buried every evening for a while!!! Thank goodness the snow is almost here, now I have something to keep my mind occupied!!

I got Skyrim today, and I must say, it's excellent. There's an array of skills, which means you can create a character that is completely unique.

Combat is quite...flowing, almost, and the spells are awesome! Visuals are great on my PS3, and the atmosphere at Bleak Barrows (or whatever it's called) at night is genuinely creepy.

Thoroughly enjoying the game so far, and long may it continue. 👍

Damn it. The Mage Armor perk isn't 2x and +1x per level, it's 2x with a maximum of +1x after leveling. I wish they would've mentioned that. Maybe they nerfed it in the launch patch.

Sunset in Skyrim is nice. :)

91765453C587392B9E295D56C79BE40A6FAE9074

Water looks nice too. :)

2B702D0FDAD2D7441BE8DCBB33FCD67E4279D149

9CE071CEF506D3D426E12879E2265B4329C09378

This is going to take up a LOT of my spare time. :D

When looking at those screens, I couldn't help but think "Wow, Crysis from back in 2007 still destroys any game in 2011".

Just something randomly that popped into my head. I started playing it again with a custom graphic set-up, and it looks better than any game I've seen. And that for a 4 year old game.

On topic: Can't wait to get my copy on Wednesday!

I got Skyrim today, and I must say, it's excellent. There's an array of skills, which means you can create a character that is completely unique.

Combat is quite...flowing, almost, and the spells are awesome! Visuals are great on my PS3, and the atmosphere at Bleak Barrows (or whatever it's called) at night is genuinely creepy.

Thoroughly enjoying the game so far, and long may it continue. 👍

Any problems with freezing/locking up on the ps3?

I'm having a problem with the PC version. The game crashes every time I load a saved game, no error message or anything. I played for 7 hours non-stop but now I can't load my save. Can't find a solution online, posting here in the hope somebody knows (As far as I am aware, the default bit-rate for sound fix is only if the game fails to launch, mine worked fine).

I've seen people say re-install the game, but i'm not doing that everytime I load a saved game...

When looking at those screens, I couldn't help but think "Wow, Crysis from back in 2007 still destroys any game in 2011".

Just something randomly that popped into my head. I started playing it again with a custom graphic set-up, and it looks better than any game I've seen. And that for a 4 year old game.

On topic: Can't wait to get my copy on Wednesday!

It looks awesome for a game that also needs to be able to run on PS3 and Xbox.

Hahaha, everyone looks ridiculous going about on their daily routine with a basket over their head. I NEED this game now. :lol:

Updated my graphics card driver earlier and it fixed the problem. We'll see what happens next time I launch the game though, updating the drivers reset all the video settings.

Verdict so far: (Added spoiler tags, just incase)

One of the best games I have ever played. Wish I could turn finishing moves off though because a) They're annoying as they don't seem to be triggered by anything specific I do and b) When at around a third of my health, enemies have a chance to 1 hit kill me when it should take them 2 or 3 (Therefore giving me the opportunity to heal). Only playing it on 'adept' as that seems to be the most balanced difficulty.

The menus took a little getting used to. Sometimes it wants you to use the mouse, sometimes the keyboard. Sometimes enter, sometimes e, sometimes r, all for basically the same thing as the left mouse button. Sometimes when looting from a chest/container or buying items in a shop a mouse click exits rather than selecting the various tabs on the left, forcing you to use WASD or the arrow keys, but sometimes it lets you click them :confused:. It's got console port written all over it. But at least it's visually optimised for the PC fairly well, it's running at higher fps than Borderlands on max settings for example, with no sudden drops (Best example of a bad port that I know).

The levelling system seems much improved from Oblivion. Gone are the days where you have to plan your level ups around what skills you use or risk severely limiting your maximum stats later on. Now you level up, pick one of the 3 stats and it increases it by a uniform amount, regardless of your skill levels.

Last edited:
It looks awesome for a game that also needs to be able to run on PS3 and Xbox.

Not to mention it doesn't require the mother of all hardware as a result of it, so even a fairly old pc can run it. 👍

My PC is from december 2008 and I was surprised it recommended "ultra", I have it all maxed out (except I turned down shadow detail a step due to some weird black boxes appearing), great performance.

Any problems with freezing/locking up on the ps3?

Not really, but it froze for about 10 seconds in one of the beginning sequences. I'm still saving regularly to make sure that if it does crash then I don't have to do anything again.

I've put in about 8hours of play since yesterday morning and I really enjoy it. The game is basically exactly the same as Oblivion but with new content and a lot of polish. I did see some graphical glitch with the water, where a massive square of it apparently disapeared and I could see clearly down to the lake bed, though when I left the zone and came back the water was fixed. Also some graphical glitch sometimes when I go to the menu screen to save, the whole screen around it (which is usually transparent) goes green.

Graphically the game looks amazing, which is crazy considering it is only Dx9, its amazing that after years game developers are only now getting the most out of DX9 and yet they already passed and abandoned DX10 and DX11 effects have barely been used even in the games that feature it.

Its crazy that years ago Oblivion was an amazing looking game that pushed consoles to the limits to be able to run it properly, yet Skyrim blows it away and they have managed to run it on the same hardware.

I do wish they would release a high res texture pack for the PC version though, textures themselves are no better than they are in Oblivion really.

Picked it up yesterday morning, played for about 2hours last night. I got the PS3 version, and it seems fine to me, but the only issues I'm having are some minor frame rate issues.

The game is awesome, I've only have a few crashes but being a Bethesda game I totally expect that.

Loving the game. Got it last night and played a couple of hours. Took a bit together used to but it's very similar to fallout in some areas. I woke up at 4am just to get in a couple of hours before work.

Got my first crash to desktop a few minutes ago (had my first lockup yesterday). My experience with Bethesda PC titles grows.. lol.

Absolutely loving it so far.

Just bought it for X360. Didn't play much of Oblivion but liked it, so hopefully I'm not really missing out due to that.

Do you guys think I should dish out the $60 for the game? I never played any of the Elder Scrolls but I did played Fallout, so I should have matching interpretations and impressions. Or should I instead get Oblivion GOTY, for $20? Any help is appreciated :)

Try picking a fight with a giant. When you die, you're gonna laugh real hard.

Back