Engines: 1.6L I4, 2.0L I4 (C-Spec)
Drivetrain: RWD
Length: 3.95m / 155.5in
Weight: 1,002kg / 2,210lbs

---

1998-2004 Mazda MX-5 (NB)

111282.jpg

Bodystyles: 2-door convertible, 2-door coupe
Engines: 1.6L I4, 1.8L I4, 1.8L turbocharged I4 (Mazdaspeed)
Length: 3.94m / 155in
Weight: 1,065kg / 2,348lbs

---

2005-2015 Mazda MX-5 (NC)

mazda_mx-5_roadster_4.jpg

Bodystyles: 2-door convertible
Engines: 1.8L I4, 2.0L I4
Length: 4m / 158in
Weight: ~1,130kg / 2,491lbs

---

2016-present Mazda MX-5 (ND)

miata-update-lead.jpg

Bodystyles: 2-door convertible
Engines: 1.5L I4, 2.0L I4
Length: 3.91m / 154in
Weight: ~1,000kg / 2,204lbs

Last edited:
It’s got to be the NA really. I mean, they’re all great, they all follow the path the original took without deviating other than modernising only as much as was necessary. As much as that’s in no way a bad thing, it also makes choosing the first a no brainier as the others didn’t really add anything new to the table (and probably rightly so as it was a spot on concept from conception).

The first cool car I ever remember seeing was my uncle's green NA MX-5 in the 1990s. I think it's aged spectacularly well and is one of the most important cars ever made.

The last two were very tough, couldn't put a vote down, this one is a lot more definitive. NA all the way.

This one's hard because I think all 4 have their own merits. I went with ND though just because I think it has the best roof and the best engine.

Nearly bought an NA a different points in my life. A black NA from a dodgy used car lot(it had cracking tan leather interior and the headrest speakers didn’t function). The other a red NA in Connecticut from a helicopter pilot. He fitted 17” Kosei five spokes. I didn’t like that, but undeniably such a joy to drive.

Only steered an NB around a block here in Australia. It had a tight fitting racing bucket specified for the 60yo/65kg owner. Really cool standard gauge cluster.

I liked the NC because the ease and neatness of the folding the soft top. Fell in love with the Racing Concept at the NY Auto Show.

ND(1.5) brings back that lightness of the original and looks more aggressive than the cars before. A flat & wide look that is attractive.
Was never a fan of the radio position.

Overall, I’d go with NA as the best, but I’d buy the ND.

ND, because it is the most fun out of the box, that and IMO looks the best. I may or may not be a little biased to it since I own one lol...

Honourable mention to the ND-based Fiat 124 Spider. Looks better than the MX-5 that it's based on.

2020-fiat-124-mmp-1-1567620436.jpg

Last edited:
My order

1) ND3 / ND2 (my head says)
2) NA for the popup (my heart says)
3) NC for the hardtop (practical choice)
4) NB is still a very good choice ! (Still not a wrong answer, still the answer to every question)

Last edited:
This is tricky one. The NA has a purity of design the others lack. The NC has the best stance and some lovely details. The ND is impressive for being as light as the original despite having modern crash protection standards.

I think the ND gets the nod over the NA for the engineering but the NA was such a successful reinterpretation of the classic British roadster it I would have voted for it if I could have had 2 votes.

I'm an NB owner, so there! The NB has some upgrades over the NA in the power department, some of that by variable intake valve timing in 2001, and I actually prefer the headlights out there for all to see instead of having to retract. I also prefer the look of the NB dash over the NA.

One thing about Mazdas in general, including the Miata, that I simply cannot stand, is the front end styling when they went to that ****-eating-grin grill design. Not only are they ugly, they're mostly filled with black plastic, so what's the point? On the Miata, those started on the 2009 model, and they've been there ever since. Despicable, and butt-ugly! And yes, as Liquid points out above, the Fiat looks WAY better!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an NB owner, so there! The NB has some upgrades over the NA in the power department, some of that by variable intake valve timing in 2001, and I actually prefer the headlights out there for all to see instead of having to retract. I also prefer the look of the NB dash over the NA.

One thing about Mazdas in general, including the Miata, that I simply cannot stand, is the front end styling when they went to that ****-eating-grin grill design. Not only are they ugly, they're mostly filled with black plastic, so what's the point? On the Miata, those started on the 2009 model, and they've been there ever since. Despicable, and butt-ugly! And yes, as Liquid points out above, the Fiat looks WAY better!
I guess our opinions differ

Mazda design has been getting better and better since they left Ford's grip.

Right now I would even say that Mazda design is the best among Japanese cars...

Love the front end look of the Modern Mazda

Last edited by a moderator:
Back