The good and the bad of the Chaparral 2J.

• Thread starter jrbabbitt
  • 31 comments

jrbabbitt

Premium
United States
Charleston, SC
TCR_JimyBee
I had the credits to grab this when it appeared in the Legends lot, I remember having one in GT4 and it was a good but limited racer. In today's GT7 it also seems to be a limited racer.
The Good:
It is a lightweight racer.
It's reasonably fast racer that with it's downforce effects really hugs the turns, i was able to pass cars on the outside of some turns without sliding off into the grass/ gravel. When I could see better on the Nurburgring 24hr course, the 2J flew in the corners and hugged the road easily.
Minimal suspension tuning for excellent handling, I have not adjusted anything on the car in the first races since it handles well but could use some finer adjustments.
The Bad:
High on PP numbers, I had to detune this down and add ballast for it to qualify in the WGT championship races.
Racing in the rain, when using the heavy wet tyres braking distances increase dramatically and you should not lock up the brakes in rain, it will be twitchy.
Racing at night, this is the biggest bad thing, this car had NO lights, in final lap at Bathurst you cannot see anything, cannot see edges of the track, walls, trees unless you are right behind someone and you can see with their lights. In the opening lap at the Nurburgting 24hr (last race in championship) I was more off the track than on. You really cannot see anything in the dark.
17ff9f4671c74-dcc18152E266106780F.315B375F96579043_message_422186471827049_1649165905574.jpg

So there are my opinions and judgements on this wonderful car, despite the inability to drive in the dark I believe this is a good car to af to anyone's collection.

Last edited:
I had the credits to grab this when it appeared in the Legends lot
Probably shouldn't have though...

Probably shouldn't have though...

I know about getting this on gold of the last mission set but I am limited in my physical racing abilities and could never achieve gold in some of the missions. I'm actually over 4 some hours alone just trying to bronze the S10 license, I am on a controller and my dexterity is severely challenged at times.

Thank you though...

Last edited:
Racing at night, this is the biggest bad thing, this car had NO lights, in final lap at Bathurst you cannot see anything, cannot see edges of the track, walls, trees unless you are right behind someone and you can see with their lights. In the opening lap at the Nurburgting 24hr (last race in championship) I was more off the track than on. You really cannot see anything in the dark.
I mean the car very clearly has no lights on it, did you expect the game to tape some mag-lites to the front for when it got dark?

I mean the car very clearly has no lights on it, did you expect the game to tape some mag-lites to the front for when it got dark?
No, didn't really think about it at first, I just jumped in it and went racing, before I was on those two last races I realized I may be in trouble with it when I was looking at front of car and flashing my high beams and did not see anything...
Bad pun- guess I was not the brightest bulb in the box....

I would like to see others opinions on this car please...

Last edited:
The PP is what it is because of the fan aero. It literally sucks itself to the ground, which actually makes it far more OP on slower circuits like Tsukuba than on faster circuits.

Last edited:
I loved it on the Mission its featured in (Sardinia, I think?). Gold was easy but I grinded until I got a sub 1 minute.

It's insane to drive with Wobble 2 around the Nordschleife. Also quite nice to drive during midnight around Le Mans, really tests your knowledge of the track. :sly:

I had the credits to grab this when it appeared in the Legends lot, I remember having one in GT4 and it was a good but limited racer. In today's GT7 it also seems to be a limited racer.
The Good:
It is a lightweight racer.
It's reasonably fast racer that with it's downforce effects really hugs the turns, i was able to pass cars on the outside of some turns without sliding off into the grass/ gravel. When I could see better on the Nurburgring 24hr course, the 2J flew in the corners and hugged the road easily.
Minimal suspension tuning for excellent handling, I have not adjusted anything on the car in the first races since it handles well but could use some finer adjustments.
The Bad:
High on PP numbers, I had to detune this down and add ballast for it to qualify in the WGT championship races.
Racing in the rain, when using the heavy wet tyres braking distances increase dramatically and you should not lock up the brakes in rain, it will be twitchy.
View attachment 1133718

So there are my opinions and judgements on this wonderful car, despite the inability to drive in the dark I believe this is a good car to af to anyone's collection.
What was now the matter of your thread? Haven’t got it.

My complaints with the 2J is that it feels like the suction system is not modelled correctly. I may be wrong, but I distinctly remember that this car IRL had basically next to no wheelspin or instability at most of the speeds it ran at. The one in GT is a twitchy, unpleasant bugger which is an absolute shame.

My complaints with the 2J is that it feels like the suction system is not modelled correctly.
I'm no expert in car physics, but it could be the sheer fact that you have so much suction/ground effect that when you lose it, you really lose it.

I'm no expert in car physics, but it could be the sheer fact that you have so much suction/ground effect that when you lose it, you really lose it.
Spinning at 170 MPH on T1 on Daytona with relatively minimal input doesn't really make sense to me, but you do raise a fair point. If the suction effect exists, it's being overpowered by some other flaw of the physics and causing the loss of ground effect that you mentioned.

Wait, T1 is the start/finish corner...I meant T2. :dunce: The 2J has no issues with the transition on T1, but it's like halfway into T2 (the first huge banked turn that feeds onto the back straight) where the 2J starts to kick out. If I can grab some video footage tonight I'll throw it up in the thread to show what I mean.

Well, It's the one car that objectively sucks. I mean, I like the novelty of driving if, but it feels so weird. Stable as a rock there you don't expect it to be, twichy and spins out where most cars don't.

Strange how many people find it so twitchy, I barely lose control of this car (especially detuned to 800pp) and on slow speed corners it's probably among the best cars in the game, I just cruise on the outside of these corners (T4 on Daytona, T1 Laguna Seca, etc) to overtake the other cars at over 100kph on each of those corners, that's almost F1 levels of slow-corner grip.

And thanks to the low-drag of the car (since majority of it's downforce is from the fan), the car is also a rocket on the straights. Even down to 495hp and with ballast, the car is still faster than any Gr.3 car on the straights, even the Viper.

Down to these 800pp points, I don't think there's a car better than this.

EDIT: Yeah, if you are going to an endurance race with Dynamic time, avoid this car as it has no headlights. I used it for Nurburgring and had to wait for the cars behind me to show me enough light to do a propper on-track lap, thankfully, in that race, daytime was on the horizon and I was able to complete and win the race by a huge margin.

Last edited:
Was able to demolish every World Touring Car 800 event easily by detuning it with 200kg of ballast and horsepower turned down to 561hp. In some races, I was able to finish the whole thing without even pitting once. It has surprisingly good tire shelf life and fuel economy to really keep you going. It might sound like some cheap way to win, and potentially almost borderline cheating, but the 2J is really that good.

Shame the 2J wasn't that successful when it raced in real life, but its technology got it banned anyway. We need more banned race cars in GT7, such as the extremely famous BMW M3 GTR race car from 2001 (where it was so good, that it was banned from the American Le Mans Series due to last-minute changes in homologation which made the car illegal for the next season).

To keep up with the theme of a Can-Am race car, maybe even the Porsche 917/30 Can-Am Spyder also sounds like a great idea too.

And then again, when stock with Racing: Softs, with nearly 900PP, it will do the Nurburgring at around 5:45.xxx, which makes it an incredible beast on the track.

Last edited:
Wait, T1 is the start/finish corner...I meant T2. :dunce: The 2J has no issues with the transition on T1, but it's like halfway into T2 (the first huge banked turn that feeds onto the back straight) where the 2J starts to kick out. If I can grab some video footage tonight I'll throw it up in the thread to show what I mean.
If you're talking the oval, T1 and 2 are the first big banked corner that leads you onto the back straight. The tri-oval isn't numbered.

T1 on the road course is the big braking zone off the tri-oval into the infield.

It's one of my all time favorite race cars! Great acceleration, lightweight, a very powerful V8 and active ground effect! It feels a little bit strange racing a car with only three gears, but it does the job. It would be cool if the fan motor was louder than it is, and if it could push the car forwards like the real life one does, so you would have to hold brakes to keep the car stationary.

If you're talking the oval, T1 and 2 are the first big banked corner that leads you onto the back straight. The tri-oval isn't numbered.

T1 on the road course is the big braking zone off the tri-oval into the infield.
I meant the oval.

2j is trash in pp wise. Its PP is extremely overrated. F1500T-A perfoms a lot better when both cars are detuned to 800pp.

Last edited:
2j is trash in pp wise. Its PP is extremely overrated. F1500T-A perfoms a lot better when both cars are detuned to 800pp.
That may be so, but there are players who just have the feeling of enjoying the sound ectr of driving this car.

That may be so, but there are players who just have the feeling of enjoying the sound ectr of driving this car.
Oh I didnt said its not enjoyable. Its grip in slow corners is enormous but it seems that ability reflected to its PP too much.

I know about getting this on gold of the last mission set but I am limited in my physical racing abilities and could never achieve gold in some of the missions. I'm actually over 4 some hours alone just trying to bronze the S10 license, I am on a controller and my dexterity is severely challenged at times.
I can't gold the last drift mission, and neither can plenty of the A/A+ rated drivers on my friends list.

Back