The Most Hated Family In America: A Review

Touring Mars

ツーリング マルス
Scotland
Glasgow
GTP_Mars
Louis Theroux, the up-close and personal documentary film-maker, spent a few weeks with the 'good people' of the Westboro Baptist Church, Topeka, Kansas... known as 'The Most Hated Family In America', the Phelps family head a 71-strong congregation, and under the guidance of Pastor 'Gramps' Phelps, they have made a name for themselves from their 'unique' brand of fundamentalist Christianity. They frequently picket the funerals of US soldiers, homosexual people (or even people who support homosexuality in any way, shape or form) and even carry placards saying 'Thanks God For 9/11' on street corners...

Once again, Louis Theroux braves what most people consider sickening attitudes to bring us the view from the other side. Among other things, Louis Theroux set out to ask a few simple questions. What motivates a group of well-to-do, intelligent people to preach 'God's Hate'? What do they think they are going to achieve? And what is it like living like this? In his usual style, Louis doesn't flinch from asking some awkward questions, and (again, in his usual style) he doesn't give up at the first attempt.

The Westboro Baptist Church preach a strong and exceptionally unpopular brand of biblical interpretation... their main schtick is that America, as a nation, is doomed and that anyone who fights in the name of America (i.e. US soldiers in Iraq) is a 'Fag Troop', and the people (family and friends) of the dead soldiers should be picketed/warned against 'worshipping the dead'. By 'Fag troops', they are not claiming that the soldiers themselves are homosexual, however (although you can see why people miscontrue their message somewhat). Rather, the US as a whole is a country whose liberal attitudes have destroyed the social fabric of a once wholesome and God-fearing country, and that these liberal forces (or more specifically, the people who seek a liberal agenda) are 'fag enablers'... which includes the US military, hence 'Fag Troops'...

Louis probed a little deeper with the younger members of the congregation, specifically a 21-year old woman who otherwise seems like a very personable and attractive young lady. You can see from behind the extreme biblical rhetoric (obviously drummed into her for her whole life) that there is a conflict between what she does and what she wants to do. At 21 years old, she still asks for permission to go for a coffee with Louis. Permission was denied. She seems like a genuine and honest person, and she seems almost worthy of sympathy when she tried to explain to Louis why she can't understand why people hate them so much when all they are trying to do is help people. Louis asks her if there is not a better way to 'help people' than to picket their dead relatives' funerals, but doesn't get much further than the old rheotric will allow. It is a huge dichotomy to listen/watch this woman explain that she is trying to 'help' people by steering them away from a path that leads straight to hell, (arguably a nice thing to want to do for someone), while at the same time she stands by the roadside with a placard saying 'Thank God For 9/11'... This part of the interview is particularly revealing, however, as it shows something of the reasoning behind why these people are motivated to do what they do... however, it is more revealing what they don't say. When pushed on certain issues, like why this attractive young woman considers herself completely unavailable for a relationship, marriage or children (despite the fact that the older generation of her family have clearly been busy in that department), all of a sudden the topic is brought to a swift close. Also, when one of their 7 year old children is asked about the meaning of her sign (which reads 'Fag Troops'), she admits that she doesn't know what it means. A slightly older boy has an explanation, but he too shows little (if any) understanding of what the signs mean... Significantly, what the older boy says demonstrates that he can atleast explain a little of what the signs mean to them, but shows no understanding of what the signs would mean (and do mean) to everyone else. There is a strange moment when a missile (a soft drink from a fastfood restaurant) is thrown from a passing car, hitting one of their youngest children squarely in the head. A concerned Theroux stands by as the mother consoles her injured child, but you can tell that the expression of dismay on the face of Louis Theroux is largely caused by his distaste for the adults who placed the child in the path of danger in the first place... a sentiment I found myself feeling as well.

Overall, this was another fine piece of documentary film-making from Louis Theroux and the BBC... but should it have been shown? Their website, www.godhatesamerica.com (it almost goes without saying, but this site is not for the easily offended and is possibly not work-safe either), already proudly states the fact that the gospel according to the Westboro Baptist Church is to be preached across the world thanks to the BBC and Channel 4. But this isn't exactly true. Louis Theroux has a real talent for showing things as they are. Of course, Theroux himself is not entirely without bias, and he does come across as slightly mocking occasionally (a fact not lost on the Phelps family), but it is hard to see how someone can immerse themselves so fully into a scenario without allowing a little of their own personality come through. Indeed, Theroux's character has been called into question many times by the subjects of his documentaries, not least by the Phelps family, after they discover that Theroux had himself fathered a child outside of wedlock. However, Theroux's demeanour and personality ensure that the viewer spends little time wondering about Louis Theroux, and much more time on the actual subjects of documentary. I was left with the over-riding feeling that there is not much point getting upset at people like this, but I also learned something in the process... just like the passers-by in their motor cars who flip the Phelps family the finger and curse at them from the open windows of their SUV's, I initially felt that these people could do with a good old-fashioned slap around the chops. But Theroux's approach works better for me. However distasteful and misguided their methods and their message may be, it is atleast possible to see that there is something behind the facade - the gaudy, offensive placards and the fire and brimstone rhetoric - that even with the slightest of scratches to the surface can begin to reveal.

Put it this way, if they turned up at my son/daughters funeral who had died fighting in Iraq I would be have to go to prison because I would kill every single one of them that was protesting.

Here's an interesting side note. I'm currently surfing broadband at the local Stop&Shop grocery. They've got a little "cafe" where its free and I can have a coffee while "working". I can't access that particular site, as it has been blocked by Stop&Shop's filter. In addition, I can't access phelps other site godhatesfags.com

Being an open minded christian, I am utterly ashamed to even be close to catergorized as sharing the same religion as Phelps. I've yet to watch the documentary, but can comment lightly on Phelps. God may hate Fags, but Jesus taught love and appreciation for human beings. I'll discuss my religious choices and decisions with you, but I won't argue or debate them. I make my choices based on what I believe, not what someone force feeds me. Which it seems, Phelps wants to do.

I know too many people that believe in Christianity simply because the think they should.

I find this section
If a gay person goes along to talk to them outside the church or if a gay person even turned up to the church to attend a service, they wouldn't humiliate them or be rude to them; they'd shake their hand and welcome them in
almost contradictory to what the godhatesfags site says.

All in all, a very confusing and upsetting aspect of American life.

I must admit to being a big fan of Louis Theroux, he looks at and spends a considerable amount of time with people most of use would have nothing to do with. He freely admits his own bias, but the insight he gets is sometimes amazing (the piece he did a few years ago about neo-nazis in the US was quite amazing, particularly the part when a bunch of them started asking if he was Jewish and he refused to answer).

Its not the first time I've come across the Westboro Baptist Church on the web and they are a rather extreme bunch of people (certainly on the web and at pickets), and its good to know that following the BBC show they have now published an open letter to the People of England....

http://www.godhatesfags.com/writings/20070401_open-letter-to-england.pdf

...(warning - almost certain to cause offence), its nice to see all these warm and cuddly feeling for us English (not sure about the Welsh, Scottish an Irish as while the 'open letter' does mention the British it seems to be mainly aimed at the English).

Regards

Scaff

"Dear British Bastards" :lol: This is like the theological equivalent of WWF :dunce:

This whole family and their bizarre vitriol would be utterly laughable if it weren't so damned offensive to bereaved families across the U.S.

"Dear British Bastards" :lol: This is like the theological equivalent of WWF :dunce:
The World Wildlife Fund?

Don't forget those wrestling chaps lost the court-case against the panda-huggers and now have to call themselves the WWE. Oh that one did make me laugh.

The World Wrestling Federation was defeated on Friday in its legal battle with the World Wide Fund for Nature (formerly the World Wildlife Fund) over the use of the initials WWF anywhere outside the US. The decision leaves the Federation’s continuing use of the domain name wwf.com on the ropes.

The UK High Court ruled that the US-based Federation was in breach of a contract entered into with the conservationists in 1994, which placed restrictions on the Federation’s use of the initials. A court order has ordered the Federation to stop using the initials, having upheld the charity’s arguments that the Federation’s association with violence and sleaze was damaging by “insalubrious connotation” the Fund’s ability to raise money for nature conservation.

The judge wrote: “It is not wholly inconceivable that an old person, fond of animals, might, having briefly seen WWF being used in association with wrestling involving women just decide to donate to the RSPCA instead.”

The revenue generated by internet related activities accounts for an estimated 3% of the World Wrestling Federation’s $456 total annual revenue, according to US research firm Jupiter Media Matrix. One witness claimed the cost of re-branding would run to $50 million.

The fate of the wwf.com address will be decided when the case returns to the UK High Court for a decision on the precise form of the court order. The World Wide Fund for Nature presently uses the domain name wwf.org. The Federation has already said it will appeal the decision.
Source - http://www.out-law.com/page-1885

This whole family and their bizarre vitriol would be utterly laughable if it weren't so damned offensive to bereaved families across the U.S.
That's what disturbs me so much about he whole thing, quite frankly I can handle the rather pathetic attempts at insults they try and dole out in the letter I linked too (I heard far worse trying to get a cab in town on a Saturday night), but the letters to families and picketing of funerals is just too much. What's even worse is that they blame the victims and their families as well.

Sick buggers

Scaff

Put it this way, if they turned up at my son/daughters funeral who had died fighting in Iraq I would be have to go to prison because I would kill every single one of them that was protesting.

We've had a simple solution here in the US to stop that, motorcycle gangs.

...I'm not kidding...

From what I have understood, these groups of bikers have been getting together in order to push the idealogical-backwards folks out of sight and out of hearing for these funerals. We had a situation like that here in West Michigan a few months ago, where the bikers (along with the Police) set up a perimeter around the funeral so these douche bags couldn't get close to it.

I don't recall if it was just Michigan, or a bunch of other states, but there have been pushes in our state legislatures to ban protests such as this within a certain distance of these funerals, and I believe they have passed in many of the places that they were introduced.

...Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the First Amendment and the entitlement of Free Speech here in America, and generally around the world... But when it is misused and twisted into something like this that is not only offensive, but also downright degrading to these families, someone has to stop it.

All of this does make me think of the times that this family has been on the Bill O'Riley program here in the US. They (the family) come-off as fairly intelligent and otherwise well-educated people, and yet waste their time promoting these ideas that are so far off-center here in the US, its just mind-blowing. O'Riley, and Fox News in general has been quick to point out that one way in which they (the family) have been able to get away with this has been the fact that they are indeed trained lawyers, and know the ins and outs of the laws in most of the places they visit.

I've always found it so sad that in a country that promotes equality, freedom, and overall patriotism (in the form of a thanks for our troop's work), that people like this can exist. If anything, God should do his work and wipe these ignorant and otherwise hateful people off of this Earth, as even I would rather deal with the Neo-Nazis that this radical bunch of Christian zealots.

Aww they used used a capital letter for "Bubblehead Brits". How sweet.

Going to have to find a way to view this after a mate mentioned it several times today. (NTL on demand?)

A great write up TM. Sat and watched the show myself completely by accident. Watched it with my nine year old daughter who sat in disbelief at the opinions of the church. She almost got angry at the attacks on Princess Diana. I also found it hilarious to watch the pastor, or should i say grandad, brush off questions that he obviously struggled to answer with any reason or sensibility. I felt for the girls who were expected to mingle with their community as normal and didnt have any friends, just aquaintences. Then she claimed that her father would be pleased if she was run down by a car, as it would be God's will and correct some sort of sin she must've committed! My over all opinion was of disbelief and pity. i do wonder how the congregation could continue to grow as it seems to be a family thing and the children are forced away from any kind of fornication. No one else could've produced a better or more informed documentary. Great viewing.

I find it funny that they say that America is a terrible and evil place for allowing homosexuality...
...but they have yet to move to another country.

If that isn't hypocrisy, I don't know what is.

The Phelps are attention whores. They LOVE the publicity that arises when they get people angry, and they know that no one can avoid it. The subject is too sensitive for anyone affected not to want to retaliate. We understand that, and they cherish it. Worst yet, they know how to go about it all perfectly legally. They flaunt that fact in our faces. All we can do is get mad. And unfortunately, that's exactly what they want.

I saw a video awhile back of a group of WBC members in a van retreating from a possible riot-to-be. Filming form inside, they at one point have a rock thrown through a window of the van. Their reaction? Pure excitement. The were audibly pleased that they were under assault. Why? In their eyes, it makes their "peaceful" protesting seem an innocent victim of angry, violent mobs, and makes their police protection look inadequate. With that video, they could easily get some sort of lawsuit against the assaulter, or the police force for not providing proper protection.

These people are vile, exploitative scum. And the only reason they can even say what they say is that the country they hate so much is one of the few that grants them the right to preach their message freely. The irony is almost too much to bear.

I have yet to see the documentary, but I find it difficult to be offended by anything that I have seen written by them. The statements they make and the 'beliefs' they hold are delivered in such a way that the whole thing appears as a complete farce, an exercise for gaining as much media exposure as possible. Their website, letters to the British and messages to the families of soldiers lost in conflict could easily be written by a few bored first year university students over a joint and a twelve pack of beer.

Ironically enough, I actually find myself agreeing with a couple of things they say about Mr. Blair, but don't tell them! I'll also make no argument at the accusation that I am a 'raunchy little pagan'. I think I'll keep the original National Anthem though.

Back