The Stig license

• Thread starter thefraggle
  • 14 comments
United Kingdom
Guildford
GTP_thefraggle
I thought I would point something out. I have had a quick look and cant find this infomation anywhere else on this site so here goes. A lot of people whilst asking about the Stig outfit have been told that somebody else has bought the rights to use "the Stig". This might well be true however and this is a BIG however, GT has shown that it CAN show the Simpson Diamondback helmet in white as it is shown in one of the opening videos and I am fairly sure Sony would not be silly enough to release something like GT5 without checking if they were going to get sued for copyright infringement. With regard to the White racing suit, GT has clearly got the right to use the Alpinestar logo anf name as it appears on the side of a number of GT created tracks. Sure the suit might not have the word "Stig" stitched into it but there is no reason why the un altered white suit wouldnt appear in the game at some point.
Please dont take this as me saying that the suit is out there so pelase go and get it. THE SUIT AND HELMET IS NOT YET AVAILABLE TO USERS IN THE GAME. It is in the game but is currently locked. People really should read this as I am frankly sick of people asking for it in trade or in some stupid cases offering it for trade.

Much love, that is all :) 👍

all im saying isits a white suit i dont think anybody would know the difference
i wasnt being funny

a stig suit would be nice prob cost a bit in copyright tho

all im saying isits a white suit i dont think anybody would know the difference
i wasnt being funny

a stig suit would be nice prob cost a bit in copyright tho

I think you would be very suprised at the number of people who would be able to tell if the suit looked right or not.
With regards to the copyright thing, I suggest you read my original post again.

i think you would be very suprised at the number of people who would be able to tell if the suit looked right or not.
With regards to the copyright thing, i suggest you read my original post again.

whoever has the copyright it will cost alot

whoever has the copyright it will cost alot

Not if you already have the copyright. All that will cost money is the copyright, after that you can use it all you want until your contract is up.

OT: I don't think anyone but Top Gear has rights to the Stig. Though I may be mistaken. I think PD can use him since they did get the license with Top Gear. Though Forza could take that license away from them, being theirs has more money invested in it, and the BBC likes the better paying contract.

We did see the Stig in the Trailer for GT5, meaning he is in game. If he's in game already, then their contract being terminated wouldn't mean anything. It wouldn't have any affect with whats in-game. I think PD lost the rights to Infineon Raceway to iRacing or something like that. But it is still in GT4. I'd be willing to bet that it's the same case with His Stigness.

Good call crispy. I am hoever talking about the ability to use the clothing without it being the Stig. They can use Alpinestar as they already have the rights to use their name in the game and they clearly have the rights for the Simpson Diamondback helmet as that is very openly in the game. You dont have to have the rights to use the stig to have those two bits of clothing in the game. The stig simply indicates a character name and not the clothing he wears when it is not specific for him.

I think Pd/Sony still have the right for the Stig. Plus we haven't got the Stig events yet. I hope we get them soon.

Yes they did. It was announced through a video at E3 and the first showing of the Top Gear Track. It had the Stig driving a Black RM Tuscon 6. I'm pretty sure you can still view the video of the Stig at the Top Gear track not sure. I haven't looked at them in some time.

Last edited:
Well, in the game, for the special event, there's the intro video talking about the TGTT.
And then the commentator starts talking about the Stig as his Stigness walks across the screen in front of a few cars and eventually stops and gets into an HKS Audi. I believe that's what it was like, but not sure.
But he IS in the game.

Well, in the game, for the special event, there's the intro video talking about the TGTT.
And then the commentator starts talking about the Stig as his Stigness walks across the screen in front of a few cars and eventually stops and gets into an HKS Audi. I believe that's what it was like, but not sure.
But he IS in the game.

Got one other person who remembers. Now it's just of when will the Event be open through a update.

Zuel
Got one other person who remembers. Now it's just of when will the Event be open through a update.

The event is already in the game?
The special event, right before the samba bus race it shows it...

I know this is off topic from the Stig not Licensing though. I wanted to see what other helmets where in the Video. I seen some open face rally helmets, F-1 Helmets that I've seen before and Jeff's Gorden's Flam Helmet. I'm sure what year he had the helmet first, I'm sure he wore it for two years. Time for some more research.

Back