The suggested "keeper" cars - Shift 2

• Thread starter Smuttysy
  • 3 comments
United Kingdom
Bristol, England
Smuttysy
I've been Shifting for a while now, and have been trying pretty much every car I can to gain any advantage from using the right car for the right events. This is essentially the Chapparal 2J effect, as I like to call it - Cars that perform way beyond their performance ratings.

Here are my personal recommendations on cars you absolutely should have in your collections.

Audi S4
picture.php

Discipline: Standing Mile
Performance Index Rating: Group A - 1995
Modification levels: Engine swapped, all other highest level modifications added. DO NOT WORKS CONVERT

This one only really matters if you have also purchased the Speedhunters DLC, as it's sole purpose is to run as fast as it's possible to go in a straight line. Very well planted with the 4WD system, my top speed record so far stands at 297mph, more than enough to take down the Twins' Viper in the "Boss " event for the standing mile challenge.

Mini Cooper (Can be substituted for the VW Golf Mk 1)
picture.php

Discipline: Circuit Mastering
Performance Index: Group D - 210 (Level will be different if substituted for the Golf.)
Modification Levels: Uprated Flywheel, Clutch, Gearbox, Suspension, Brakes, Tyres, Full Weight Reduction and Nitrous.

The Mini is part of the Legends DLC, but is a real joy to play with. At this lower end of the performance scale you can use it to scout the tracks, following the best line at all times and collection all the mastery badges with ease. Some may see this as cheating, bending the rules or just plain silly. I see it as a way to learn the circuits I don't know too well before taking them on in more aggressive cars.

Caterham Superlight R500
picture.php

Discipline: Circuit Racing, Time Attack, Works
Performance Index: All ratings - Is competitive at all levels of performance grade.
Modification Levels: Vary, depending on the event requirements. Must haves are Tyres and Brakes.

Superbly balanced and eager to corner, this classic track monster punches way above it's grade with ease.

Shelby Cobra 427
picture.php

Discipline: Classic Muscle, Muscle, Endurance, Legends
Performance Index: Group C - 997
Modification Levels: Engine swapped, highest level Air Intake, Exhaust, Camshaft, Valve Train, Suspension, Brakes, Tyres, Full Weight Reduction, Entry Level Nitrous.

This car definitely kills with no remorse, certainly outperforming it's 997PI rating. It does have a tendancy to understeer if you leave the tuning in it's default settings, but it's easy to get used to.
I've used it for all the non modern muscle events (where the Viper reigns supreme) and have also used it to beat the Endurance series, generally lapping the entire field within the 20 laps of the race. In the Road America endurance I lapped most of the field twice.

Lamborghini Reventon Police (Reward car for owning Hot Pursuit)
picture.php

Discipline: Circuit Racing
Performance Index: Group A - 1850
Modifications not available

One of the best handling cars of this class I've encountered. Despite being relatively low in the PI scale for the group A cars, it's 4WD handling is enough to make it an excellent choice for the vast majority of Modern A events. Also handles well around the Nurburgring.

Nissan Skyline GTR (R32) Speedhunters
picture.php

Discipline: Drag
Performance Index: Group A - 2450

A brutally fast quarter mile runner, easily hits under 9 seconds if you're good enough with your shifts.

Nissan 240SX (S13) Drift Alliance
picture.php

Discipline: Drift
Performance Index: Group D - 160

A reward car for completing the drifting tutorial event, this car is more than adequate to get you through the drifting events within the game, although you might want to change from this car if you're playing it online, as you may well be outgunned quite easily.

I keep getting sidetracked by online, livery editing, drifting and dragging so have yet to even enter any of the GT3 or GT1 races so if anyone has any suggestions there that would probably complete the set.

Last edited:
Might as well get the Police car. Didnt know i could get it. And thats exactly the police car i love from Hot pursuit. How could they guess?

Edit: Actually, the Maserati MC12 is a good GT1 car. Its powerful, and can easily overtake all other cars.

Last edited:
A few observations based on my own experience. Solid list overall I'd say, I'm jealous in that I don't have the Police Reventon. The S4 while solid (2nd fastest SMile car IMO) it loses out o so slightly to its sportier cousin the RS4. As mentioned I don't have that awesome Police Reventon but had done the exact same thing basically by fully upgrading a Reventon (sans works) and using it in the A races and nordshleife endurance races. Since it handled well and gave beneficial matchup vs AI at it's PI. I'll give the GTR a try in QMile as I"ve been using the Audi TT 3.2.
For GT1/GT3 I use the Matech Ford GT's. Being of the same 'family' setups are almost exact ( gearing slightly diff) and they handle great. BTW, GT1/GT3 cars take some adjusting to when you first start using them. They seem 'lighter' than even works cars and have MONSTER brakes. Brake points are basically at the apex of the corner....

Another alternative to the Police Reventon, AWD Scion tc. Again at it's point value the AI car choices lead to a matchup advantage. At least in my experience.

Back