Tenacious D

GT5 Standard rapscallion
Premium
United States
U S A
Tetsumura
Nigel Fox
I hope you like essays. ;)

I may be captain obvious here, but with so much clamoring for tunes, I thought I'd post my technique I stumbled into a few days ago when trying to get some race tuned cars to perform better. And Lord knows, quite a few of these beasties are a handful, especially older cars and PORSCHES. Gah, those old 911s...

First, you need performance parts because only race cars come ready to tune as far as I know. At the very least sports suspensions, and race suspensions to go all out. The limited slip differential is practically a requirement to tame most cantankerous cars. Here is a TL;DR brief overview of the various tuning settings.
  • Body height Adjustment: lower is better, but only so low
  • Anti-roll Bar: tight in front=understeer, tight in rear=oversteer
  • Damping Ratio Compression / Expansion: restricts suspension movement
  • Natural Frequency: spring tension, tighter for racing
  • Negative Camber Angle: tilt of the wheel, helps with turning
  • Toe Angle: helps with stability and turning
  • Differential: helps with handling and acceleration / decelleration
  • Initial Torque: overall differential effect
  • Acceleration Sensitivity: engages more with higher settings
  • Braking Sensitivity: same
  • Torque-vectoring Center Differential: balance of front / rear axles in 4WD cars, more rear is better
  • Downforce: more increases handling and traction
  • ECU: improves / limits engine power
  • Ballast: useful for balancing mid- and rear-engined cars, and modifying PP
  • Power Restrictor: shaves off engine power in all RPMs
  • Transmission: alter gearing in adjustable trannys
My big breakthrough is to adjust all these parameters - well, most of them - so that the PP value increases. This is a big "duh" for sure, but believe me, this method works. How well is up to you to judge, but the side benefit of this is a better handling car. Naturally, to be able to adjust anything, you'll need a car equipped with performance parts. If you're a purist and won't change anything but tires, and maybe not them, well... git guud. ;)

On the Adjustment page, you might make a duplicate of the current tuning sheet. Next to the name, click on the three dots button to make a copy and name it whatever you want, like Test Tune, and make sure you're in it. The system remembers all your changes in a history, but it might only remember the last five changes.

The system seems to have a pretty good idea of what each adjustment is going to do to your ride. I'll try to be brief here. Chortle. :D

Suspensions: lower is better. Negative camber is better for turning. Toe in is better for stability, with the front of the tires closer together, but also increases wear a bit. Toe out is better for turning, and almost always used on the front.

Be aware that very few cars can be lowered all the way, because the wheel will rub against the well and chassis. To check, go to any track and just as race or time trial begins, go into cockpit view and run the car up a bit to where you can get a good view of the tires in replay. Stop and turn the wheel. If it won't turn all the way from lock to lock, you have your suspension too low, and in the replay, you should see your tires stop turning. For almost all of my cars, ten clicks above lowest seems to be safe.

Back to tuning. Lower the suspension front and back to about ten clicks above bottom to start, then click the big red Measure button at the top of your spec display. Your PP value should increase a decent amount, because a low squat car handles and turns better. The stats should change too, with blue values indicating how your car now handles differently, hopefully for the better. The system seems to think a slightly higher rear end is better. The difference is usually small, though every little improvement adds up. You'll have to check your tire rub if you want to much lower, even if the PP meter says to keep going.

Anti-roll Bars: tighten the chassis making it flex less. Too much can make it snappy, so this has to be driven to see if you like the changes. Some cars like it looser, some tighter. They also seem to work better with a tighter rear, sometimes all the way to 10. Too tight in the front will make it harder to turn, while tight in the back causes more oversteer. Adjust both a few clicks and see if the PP meter goes up.

Damping Compression /Expansion: For racing, you want a stiffer suspension. Damping compression and expansion makes the suspension slightly more sluggish, and these are usually better with small changes, as you want the springs to do most of the work. A more sluggish expansion does keep the car from bouncing, but again usually slight is better. "Natural Frequency" is spring stiffness. For race cars, as the tutorial says, stiffness is usually around 3.0 - 3.5 front and rear. The PP meter often likes a looser suspension, so this is up to testing and judgment.

Camber and Toe: control the tilt and angle of the tires to aid in handling. With suspensions which allow it, play with the negative camber and check each three clicks or so by measuring them. I believe these are in degrees. Many race cars are set between 2 and 3, but so far the PP gremlin hasn't let me down. For me, I tend to keep rear camber below 2.0, usually 1.0 - 1.7. If your PP value goes up, trust it for now. Use higher values for the front since these tires contribute most of the turning, and a tilted tire gives more tire surface in a turn. I'm still usually below 2.0, but do what suits you and the PP meter. With rear toe-in, I usually ease that down a bit to 0.15 in the rear. Toe out in front helps with turning, but very much may make it overturn so be judicious, like 0.05 - 10 or so. Breaking news: I forgot to add something important about this when I came across it a couple of weeks ago. I also forget who to give credit to for this: Harmonic, Voss, Doughtinator or one of the others, but they have the best method for tuning camber. This setting depends on whether you're going to be racing your car on fast high speed turns or slower ones, but you'll notice that to the left on your master page of the tuning screen, you have three Rotational G listings with three speed ranges. This is how hard you can turn your car at those speeds before it loses grip. As you adjust camber and hit the Measure button, look to see if these numbers increase, meaning you can take these turns faster. Generally you won't be hitting turns much harder than 100mph / 130kph, but those kinds of tracks exist. Again, I tend to have more camber in the front than rear because these tires take the brunt of the turning friction, but both count towards a fast turn. I stop increasing camber when the Gs don't increase, because you'll be wasting traction on slower turns. I should have added this a couple of weeks ago, but I'm kind of slow. :P

Differential: this is some kind of black box to me. Why it contributes so much to handling in beyond me, but what do I know? Praiano has provided a helpful bit taken from a YouTube tuning tutorial.
A simple picture can explane much more litérature. From the very smart and clear video of doughtinator on youtube.
Doughtinator video about LSD
And a picture is worth a thousand words here, for a good basic understanding of how the differential works, again thanks to Praiano.

LSD-00.jpg

Some say to start with all 5s, though that's essentially no effect, and you usually end up with something above 10, so your call on that. A few small changes can have almost no effect, so this requires some fussing. Some cars require little LSD, some a lot, and most effect is with acceleration. Again, the PP meter seems to steer me in the right direction. Ba-dum-tsh.

Torque-vectoring Differential: handles power transfer to front and rear tires. For 4WD / AWD cars, it's a good idea to buy this differential, which controls how much power goes to the two axles. More power to the rear makes the car handle a bit better, more naturally. Usually 40:60 or 35:65 works well, and this can only be judged with test driving. 4WD Lamborghinis can benefit nicely with one of these.

These two sections will have the most to do with how your car drives, but the next bit figures in too.

Downforce: should be self-explanatory. When you buy body kits, the downforce helps your car hug the road. Front downforce can help a lot with even moderate speed turns if you have a slippery car. The PP meter likes a lot of downforce, though if it goes down, you're excessively slowing your car from drag. Some of my cars require front downforce up all the way.

ECU: limits engine power. The racing ECU does more than improve engine performance, it lets you control the output to tame excessive PP values for restricted races. Usually it shaves off the performance peak, and if you click on the Full Control Computer pulldown, it shows you your performance curve. A steeper curve is better for acceleration, and the low power turbo gives a boost to lower RPMs. This usually doesn't provide a tremendous improvement, though it can give you an edge in passing. Also make it easier to spin out, so be aware of the traction control in your right foot. The PP values can be a little buggy at times. Just opening the detailed editor before a race can increase the PP value slightly, so you may find that your 699.89PP build is suddenly 700.18 and disqualifies you from a 700PP limit race, so be aware.

Ballast: uses weights to balance the car and reduce PP. The Performance section can have a big impact on handling too, particularly ballast. With mid- and rear-engined cars, balance can be a headache in turns, as you must brake early and give the car some gas to maintain balance. Braking with one of these cars through a turn, even a race car, can suddenly have much of the weight transfer to the rear causing an instant spinout. Ballast can alleviate some of that issue by putting a weight in all the way to the front. Shifting the balance just a bit can give you a car with much better manners. A balance of 50:50 might be ideal, but I'm hardly an expert.

Power Restrictor: as the name implies, it reduces engine power. I think it does it by choking down on fuel flow, though I could be wrong on that. Your power band is reduced overall rather than shaving off the peak. Breaking news: I discovered on all the cars I fiddled with this, that it also seems to boost low end power while restricting overall performance. My low end performance appears better on my Silvia versus the same power output using the ECU. With roughly the same horsepower, the power restrictor shaves off about a second in quarter-mile time versus using the ECU. This may well give you an acceleration advantage in initial stages of your gears, but be aware that if your car tended to spin out or lose traction before, you might not want all that low end torque.

Transmission: tune gearing for performance. I see a lot of requests about setting up the adjustable transmissions. It's really not that hard to figure out the basics. If your gearing graphic is towards the left, your car will accelerate faster but run out of gear faster, and opposite if it's to the right. That's basically it. Some set the first gear all the way to the right and adjust from there, but that makes a very slow acceleration from a dead stop. You can simply adjust the Final Gear to nudge all gearing left and right if you're happy with it to adjust to different tracks. You can change values in the Top Speed setting box, which adjusts the gearing as the system sees fit, which can get you into a ballpark setting to play with. Ideally you want to get through most of the last gear on the longest straight of a track, but have a decent amount left over for drafting so you can blow past a car in front of you. To set gears for turns, you have to do a test run of a track. See which gear you're in at certain turns, and if you run out of that gear and have to shift, then lengthen that gear and try again.

It's not a bad idea to go back and tinker with the suspension and differential settings when you get to the end if you want to squeeze a bit more performance out of your steed, but by the end I'm usually good, unless a test drive shows up some weakness. So far this has worked great for me.

This is my setting sheet I modified using my method for the Gr4 NSX. Note that Gr4s don't have adjustable transmissions. I have my own method for adjusting gear ratios, which has lower gears stretched out for steady acceleration. I'm funny that way, but it has served me well.

NSX sheet-00.jpg

I've actually managed to turn unruly beasts into well mannered stallions using this method, so I feel much less need to pester anyone for help now. So, there you go. Be a happy tuner and only bug the pros when you need more help. ;)

Attachments

• 1649442676834.jpeg
    1649442676834.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I just had quite an epiphany. Remember when I said in my essay that pushing up the power band in the low end was good for acceleration? Well, the power restrictor apparently boosts the low end of the power band when you squeeze out the overall horsepower.

I discovered this factor on the cars I've been tuning today. My low end performance is better on my Silvia versus the same power output using the ECU. With roughly the same horsepower, the power restrictor shaves off about a second in quarter-mile time versus using the ECU. This may well give you an acceleration advantage in initial stages of your gears, but be aware that if your car tended to spin out or lose traction before, you might not want all that low end torque. I've edited this into my main post.

I hope you like essays. ;)

I may be captain obvious here, but with so much clamoring for tunes, I thought I'd post my technique I stumbled into a few days ago when trying to get some race tuned cars to perform better. And Lord knows, quite a few of these beasties are a handful, especially older cars and PORSCHES. Gah, those old 911s...

First, you need performance parts because only race cars come ready to tune as far as I know. At the very least sports suspensions, and race suspensions to go all out. The limited slip differential is practically a requirement to tame most cantankerous cars. Here is a TL;DR brief overview of the various tuning settings.
  • Body height Adjustment: lower is better, but only so low
  • Anti-roll Bar: tight in front=understeer, tight in rear=oversteer
  • Damping Ratio Compression / Expansion: restricts suspension movement
  • Natural Frequency: spring tension, tighter for racing
  • Negative Camber Angle: tilt of the wheel, helps with turning
  • Toe Angle: helps with stability and turning
  • Differential: helps with handling and acceleration / decelleration
  • Initial Torque: overall differential effect
  • Acceleration Sensitivity: engages more with higher settings
  • Braking Sensitivity: same
  • Torque-vectoring Center Differential: balance of front / rear axles in 4WD cars, more rear is better
  • Downforce: more increases handling and traction
  • ECU: improves / limits engine power
  • Ballast: useful for balancing mid- and rear-engined cars, and modifying PP
  • Power Restrictor: shaves off engine power in all RPMs
  • Transmission: alter gearing in adjustable trannys
My big breakthrough is to adjust all these parameters - well, most of them - so that the PP value increases. This is a big "duh" for sure, but believe me, this method works. How well is up to you to judge, but the side benefit of this is a better handling car. Naturally, to be able to adjust anything, you'll need a car equipped with performance parts. If you're a purist and won't change anything but tires, and maybe not them, well... git guud. ;)

On the Adjustment page, you might make a duplicate of the current tuning sheet. Next to the name, click on the three dots button to make a copy and name it whatever you want, like Test Tune, and make sure you're in it. The system remembers all your changes in a history, but it might only remember the last five changes.

The system seems to have a pretty good idea of what each adjustment is going to do to your ride. I'll try to be brief here. Chortle. :D

Suspensions: lower is better. Negative camber is better for turning. Toe in is better for stability, with the front of the tires closer together, but also increases wear a bit. Toe out is better for turning, and almost always used on the front.

Be aware that very few cars can be lowered all the way, because the wheel will rub against the well and chassis. To check, go to any track and just as race or time trial begins, go into cockpit view and run the car up a bit to where you can get a good view of the tires in replay. Stop and turn the wheel. If it won't turn all the way from lock to lock, you have your suspension too low, and in the replay, you should see your tires stop turning. For almost all of my cars, ten clicks above lowest seems to be safe.

Back to tuning. Lower the suspension front and back to about ten clicks above bottom to start, then click the big red Measure button at the top of your spec display. Your PP value should increase a decent amount, because a low squat car handles and turns better. The stats should change too, with blue values indicating how your car now handles differently, hopefully for the better. The system seems to think a slightly higher rear end is better. The difference is usually small, though every little improvement adds up. You'll have to check your tire rub if you want to much lower, even if the PP meter says to keep going.

Anti-roll Bars: tighten the chassis making it flex less. Too much can make it snappy, so this has to be driven to see if you like the changes. Some cars like it looser, some tighter. They also seem to work better with a tighter rear, sometimes all the way to 10. Too tight in the front will make it harder to turn, while tight in the back causes more oversteer. Adjust both a few clicks and see if the PP meter goes up.

Damping Compression /Expansion: For racing, you want a stiffer suspension. Damping compression and expansion makes the suspension slightly more sluggish, and these are usually better with small changes, as you want the springs to do most of the work. A more sluggish expansion does keep the car from bouncing, but again usually slight is better. "Natural Frequency" is spring stiffness. For race cars, as the tutorial says, stiffness is usually around 3.0 - 3.5 front and rear. The PP meter often likes a looser suspension, so this is up to testing and judgment.

Camber and Toe: control the tilt and angle of the tires to aid in handling. With suspensions which allow it, play with the negative camber and check each three clicks or so by measuring them. I believe these are in degrees. Many race cars are set between 2 and 3, but so far the PP gremlin hasn't let me down. For me, I tend to keep rear camber below 2.0, usually 1.0 - 1.7. If your PP value goes up, trust it for now. Use higher values for the front since these tires contribute most of the turning, and a tilted tire gives more tire surface in a turn. I'm still usually below 2.0, but do what suits you and the PP meter. With rear toe-in, I usually ease that down a bit to 0.15 in the rear. Toe out in front helps with turning, but very much may make it overturn so be judicious, like 0.05 - 10 or so.

Differential: this is some kind of black box to me. Why it contributes so much to handling in beyond me, but what do I know? Praiano has provided a helpful bit taken from a YouTube tuning tutorial.

And a picture is worth a thousand words here, for a good basic understanding of how the differential works, again thanks to Praiano.

View attachment 1135084

Some say to start with all 5s, though that's essentially no effect, and you usually end up with something above 10, so your call on that. A few small changes can have almost no effect, so this requires some fussing. Some cars require little LSD, some a lot, and most effect is with acceleration. Again, the PP meter seems to steer me in the right direction. Ba-dum-tsh.

Torque-vectoring Differential: handles power transfer to front and rear tires. For 4WD / AWD cars, it's a good idea to buy this differential, which controls how much power goes to the two axles. More power to the rear makes the car handle a bit better, more naturally. Usually 40:60 or 35:65 works well, and this can only be judged with test driving. 4WD Lamborghinis can benefit nicely with one of these.

These two sections will have the most to do with how your car drives, but the next bit figures in too.

Downforce: should be self-explanatory. When you buy body kits, the downforce helps your car hug the road. Front downforce can help a lot with even moderate speed turns if you have a slippery car. The PP meter likes a lot of downforce, though if it goes down, you're excessively slowing your car from drag. Some of my cars require front downforce up all the way.

ECU: limits engine power. The racing ECU does more than improve engine performance, it lets you control the output to tame excessive PP values for restricted races. Usually it shaves off the performance peak, and if you click on the Full Control Computer pulldown, it shows you your performance curve. A steeper curve is better for acceleration, and the low power turbo gives a boost to lower RPMs. This usually doesn't provide a tremendous improvement, though it can give you an edge in passing. Also make it easier to spin out, so be aware of the traction control in your right foot. The PP values can be a little buggy at times. Just opening the detailed editor before a race can increase the PP value slightly, so you may find that your 699.89PP build is suddenly 700.18 and disqualifies you from a 700PP limit race, so be aware.

Ballast: uses weights to balance the car and reduce PP. The Performance section can have a big impact on handling too, particularly ballast. With mid- and rear-engined cars, balance can be a headache in turns, as you must brake early and give the car some gas to maintain balance. Braking with one of these cars through a turn, even a race car, can suddenly have much of the weight transfer to the rear causing an instant spinout. Ballast can alleviate some of that issue by putting a weight in all the way to the front. Shifting the balance just a bit can give you a car with much better manners. A balance of 50:50 might be ideal, but I'm hardly an expert.

Power Restrictor: as the name implies, it reduces engine power. I think it does it by choking down on fuel flow, though I could be wrong on that. Your power band is reduced overall rather than shaving off the peak. Breaking news: I discovered on all the cars I fiddled with this, that it also seems to boost low end power while restricting overall performance. My low end performance appears better on my Silvia versus the same power output using the ECU. With roughly the same horsepower, the power restrictor shaves off about a second in quarter-mile time versus using the ECU. This may well give you an acceleration advantage in initial stages of your gears, but be aware that if your car tended to spin out or lose traction before, you might not want all that low end torque.

Transmission: tune gearing for performance. I see a lot of requests about setting up the adjustable transmissions. It's really not that hard to figure out the basics. If your gearing graphic is towards the left, your car will accelerate faster but run out of gear faster, and opposite if it's to the right. That's basically it. Some set the first gear all the way to the right and adjust from there, but that makes a very slow acceleration from a dead stop. You can simply adjust the Final Gear to nudge all gearing left and right if you're happy with it to adjust to different tracks. You can change values in the Top Speed setting box, which adjusts the gearing as the system sees fit, which can get you into a ballpark setting to play with. Ideally you want to get through most of the last gear on the longest straight of a track, but have a decent amount left over for drafting so you can blow past a car in front of you. To set gears for turns, you have to do a test run of a track. See which gear you're in at certain turns, and if you run out of that gear and have to shift, then lengthen that gear and try again.

It's not a bad idea to go back and tinker with the suspension and differential settings when you get to the end if you want to squeeze a bit more performance out of your steed, but by the end I'm usually good, unless a test drive shows up some weakness. So far this has worked great for me.

This is my setting sheet I modified using my method for the Gr4 NSX. Note that Gr4s don't have adjustable transmissions. I have my own method for adjusting gear ratios, which has lower gears stretched out for steady acceleration. I'm funny that way, but it has served me well.

View attachment 1135109

I've actually managed to turn unruly beasts into well mannered stallions using this method, so I feel much less need to pester anyone for help now. So, there you go. Be a happy tuner and only bug the pros when you need more help. ;)
Thank you for all the work and time you put in to create this guide as I'm rubbish at tuning. In fact I always refer to @praiano63 list of tunes before making a car purchase or choosing what car to use for an event.

I was trying to use the Honda beat (MR) in the endurance mission at Auto Polis. The car had a lot of over steer from mid corner to exit and unpredictable. Using your guide I was able to correct its problems and feel good about using it for that event.

BTW I used your PP method on all the settings and it helped quite a bit. I fine tuned it adding a little ballast and used min/max on the roll bars.

I'm rubbish at tuning. In fact I always refer to @praiano63 list of tunes before making a car purchase or choosing what car to use for an event.
Praiano is the master. I am but a mere student of the great one. :D

I grasp the basics of tuning, and usually refer to Praiano's spec sheets for my rides when available. But with the PP system to guide me, I don't feel like I've made a bad purchase, or feel the need to pester the other tuners when my car is a rabid badger. Bad Porsche, bad Porsche...

Why the differential is some kind of magic wand is still a mystery to me, and I often have to throw numbers at it to get a car to behave itself, but at least I feel confident to mess with all these settings now. My fleet of pretty well tuned Gr5 race cars could only have happened because of this crazy method. Tweak the parts settings, ballpark the transmission gearing, and the car is almost always ready for a time trial right then.

Last edited:
But with the PP system to guide me, I don't feel like I've made a bad purchase, or feel the need to pester the other tuners when my car is a rabid badger. Bad Porsche, bad Porsche...

Why the differential is some kind of magic wand is still a mystery to me, and I often have to throw numbers at it to get a car to behave itself, but at least I feel confident to mess with all these settings now. My fleet of pretty well tuned Gr5 race cars could only have happened because of this crazy method. Tweak the parts settings, ballpark the transmission gearing, and the car is almost always ready for a time trial right then.
Have I mentioned prior, you certainly have a way with words...you should write more...entertaining and informative...somehow I know exactly what you are talking about...bad Porsche, bad Porsche...:embarrassed:

I'm a hobbyist writer. So far it's just stuff I post online, but I get good reviews. Hoping to pen some novels and get published one of these days.

I tried posting this question on another thread and hope for better results here.

Can somone confrim all the RPM differences?

For example:
Max Power RPM (7,770)
ECU/Power Restrictor RPM (9,270)
Manual Adjustment RPM (8,961)

My best guess is that 9,270 is the redline, but then what is 8,961?

I can't tell exactly what the power band is, but it is possible that it is 7,700 to 8,961. The graphs dont really make it easy to tell.

@Animal827 I'm guessing that the PP system is adjusting the engine max RPMs based on available power, that's all I've got on that. The ECU will definitely up the horsepower.

Anyway, I was going to post a quick and dirty - this time - transmission tuning method, but why bother when others are available? And guides for tuning the other components, particularly LSD and suspension. Along with Doughtinator's terrific guides, I highly recommend YT tutorials by Harmonic, who has a thread on here with YT links, Zenthusiast, and a recent discovery, Voss who is producing a nice series of his own, the first on the LSD. Boiled down, they have everything condensed onto a pair of cheat sheets. The first two are by Harmonic, the third by Zenthusiast, and the last two on the LSD by Voss.

Spring rates-00.jpg

Spring rates-01.jpg

Tuning-00.jpg

LSD accel.jpg

LSD braking.jpg

I particularly like Zenthusiast's sheet because it covers the four key aspects of car performance - grip / slip, understeer / oversteer, and what to try.
Happy tuning, planeteers. :gtpflag:

Last edited:
Awesome guide! I have been pestering Priano but now feel that I may have a go myself at a car I want to love. A beemer perhaps.

And btw, the Porsches are amazing to drive! The 964 in particular is well balanced as it comes stock. You just need to learn to love them and not be so scared!

I forgot to add something important about camber when I came across this a couple of weeks ago. I also forget who to give credit to for this; Harmonic, Voss, Doughtinator or one of the others, but they have the best method for tuning camber. This setting depends on whether you're going to be racing your car on fast high speed turns or slower ones, but you'll notice that to the left on your master page of the tuning screen, you have three Rotational G listings with three speed ranges. This is how hard you can turn your car at those speeds before it loses grip. As you adjust camber and hit the Measure button, look to see if these numbers increase, meaning you can take these turns faster. Generally you won't be hitting turns much harder than 100mph / 130kph, but those kinds of tracks exist. Again, I tend to have more camber in the front than rear because these tires take the brunt of the turning friction, but both count towards a fast turn. I stop increasing camber when the Gs don't increase, because you'll be wasting traction on slower turns. I should have added this a couple of weeks ago, but I'm kind of slow. :P

Edit: one thing to keep in mind - well, a few. Physics and kinetics with any complex body like a car will sometimes require some complex solutions to any problems. Also, in case you haven't noticed, the GT7 physics is "mostly there," as is the Performance Points system. I have to grouch about PPs again, because one of my favorite toys, the Red Bull Jr, is effectively neutered when you try to detune it. Many cars, you can shave off performance with the ECU and Power Restrictor in a surgical way and be just fine. The PP jumps with the RB Jr are atrocious. Meh, please PD, keep this stuff in mind with future updates... :guilty:

Anyhow, these adjustments on performance upgrades work in a synergistical way, just as on real cars. Meaning, adjusting one part then adjusting another part can have unexpected consequences because they play off of each other. Tightening roll bars can make a car snappy. Trying to tame it with suspension softening, lifting, LSD adjustments and so on can work magic, but it's laying one set of physical behaviors over another so it could also be some squirrely mess. If so, create a new template sheet and start over, and try a different angle. Looking at some of the other tuners is a good idea. Each tuner has their own philosophies and goals in mind - turning, speed, easy handling, etc - so looking at a buffet of these tunes for particular cars might give you some insight into how to tinker with it yourself.

Last edited:
@Animal827 I'm guessing that the PP system is adjusting the engine max RPMs based on available power, that's all I've got on that. The ECU will definitely up the horsepower.

Anyway, I was going to post a quick and dirty - this time - transmission tuning method, but why bother when others are available? And guides for tuning the other components, particularly LSD and suspension. Along with Doughtinator's terrific guides, I highly recommend YT tutorials by Harmonic, who has a thread on here with YT links, Zenthusiast, and a recent discovery, Voss who is producing a nice series of his own, the first on the LSD. Boiled down, they have everything condensed onto a pair of cheat sheets. The first two are by Harmonic, the third by Zenthusiast, and the last two on the LSD by Voss.

View attachment 1146858

View attachment 1146861

View attachment 1146864

View attachment 1146874

View attachment 1146875

I particularly like Zenthusiast's sheet because it covers the four key aspects of car performance - grip / slip, understeer / oversteer, and what to try.
Happy tuning, planeteers. :gtpflag:
Thank you for putting this together is one easy to read post. This has been very helpful. I've been taking the time to tune new cars on my own and then having fun checking @praiano63 specs on the same car to see how I'm doing 😁

Can you maybe help me with following: since update 1:13, many rwd cars suffer from too much understeer. How can you best use tuning settings to reduce understeer?

How can you best use tuning settings to reduce understeer?
First of all, I'm not the most qualified to answer this question, so this is best answered by others. And I'm assuming you'll be throwing all the tuning parts on the car. So having said that, here's my un-pro approach.

I play with suspension first. I almost always go lower and tighter on natural frequency as that's just how I roll, wanting to be all racey looking, though the best tuners aren't so quick to do that. Lower is better for grip which usually counters understeer - though a bit higher in front for some reason - but that's a car by car thing. Some say higher ride height overall adds to grip, but this seems a subtle difference to me. Depending on how the car behaves, I then look to compression / bump and expansion / rebound front and rear, and as Harmonic points out, turn entry and exit often have their own characteristics. Just to repeat what he put in his YT cheat box,

For entry understeer
  • reduce front compression / bump
  • reduce rear expansion / rebound
For exit understeer
  • increase front expansion
  • increase rear compression
Then depending on what I feel like, I'll either try rollbars or LSD. The rollbars are right next to the suspension parameters so it's handy, but they tighten up the car so it can have a bit more spring, adding to snap yawing in turns, so I tend to be shy at changing them much. Decreasing the front rollbar tension and increasing the rear will help tame understeer.

As far as I can tell, the LSD is a bit more limited in dealing with under / oversteer, and the parameter dealing with that is just the braking side. Lower numbers will add more oversteer, higher adds more understeer.

Toeing the front wheels out / negatively helps add oversteer. Most don't add more than -0.10 toe out because turning can become too aggressive.

Doing a Body Rigidity in the tune shop can make a car more responsive overall, but it can make a car more snappy as the suspension is now given more of the burden of reacting to turns, and suspension is like four springs the car rests on.

Some will have a softer tire compound on the front wheels to tame understeer, though softer compounds will wear out faster. You can add a brake balance controller to shift more braking to the rear wheels, though this also adds some understeer.

A final thing to try is adding downforce with a front splitter and rear wing to glue the car to the road.

One thing to keep an eye on is a pair of parameters on the left of the tuning screen, under the Stability heading. One is for low speed handling, one for high. They can be different. I believe that numbers between +/-0.50 is considered neutral. Higher negative numbers indicate understeer, higher positive, oversteer. It's a natural tendency of a car to understeer at high speed, so don't sweat that one so much. I have many cars I'm pretty happy with that have a -1.00 or so at high speed. For a lot of us, we prefer neutral handling.

As I said before, all of these factors overlap and play off of each other in a dynamic way, so this has to be played with, and one car might behave differently than another, even a similar make like Corvettes of different years. So applying a tune to different cars is often a crap shoot.

I don't know if this helps or not, but tuning cars is almost always a trial and error thing.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm not the most qualified to answer this question, so this is best answered by others. And I'm assuming you'll be throwing all the tuning parts on the car. So having said that, here's my un-pro approach.

I play with suspension first. I almost always go lower and tighter on natural frequency as that's just how I roll, wanting to be all racey looking, though the best tuners aren't so quick to do that. Lower is better for grip which usually counters understeer - though a bit higher in front for some reason - but that's a car by car thing. Some say higher ride height overall adds to grip, but this seems a subtle difference to me. Depending on how the car behaves, I then look to compression / bump and expansion / rebound front and rear, and as Harmonic points out, turn entry and exit often have their own characteristics. Just to repeat what he put in his YT cheat box,

For entry understeer
  • reduce front compression / bump
  • reduce rear expansion / rebound
For exit understeer
  • increase front expansion
  • increase rear compression
Then depending on what I feel like, I'll either try rollbars or LSD. The rollbars are right next to the suspension parameters so it's handy, but they tighten up the car so it can have a bit more spring, adding to snap yawing in turns, so I tend to be shy at changing them much. Decreasing the front rollbar tension and increasing the rear will help tame understeer.

As far as I can tell, the LSD is a bit more limited in dealing with under / oversteer, and the parameter dealing with that is just the braking side. Lower numbers will add more oversteer, higher adds more understeer.

Toeing the front wheels out / negatively helps add oversteer. Most don't add more than -0.10 toe out because turning can become too aggressive.

Doing a Body Rigidity in the tune shop can make a car more responsive overall, but it can make a car more snappy as the suspension is now given more of the burden of reacting to turns, and suspension is like four springs the car rests on.

Some will have a softer tire compound on the front wheels to tame understeer, though softer compounds will wear out faster. You can add a brake balance controller to shift more braking to the rear wheels, though this also adds some understeer.

A final thing to try is adding downforce with a front splitter and rear wing to glue the car to the road.

As I said before, all of these factors overlap and play off of each other in a dynamic way, so this has to be played with, and one car might behave differently than another, even a similar make like Corvettes of different years. So applying a tune to different cars is often a crap shoot.

I don't know if this helps or not, but tuning cars is almost always a trial and error thing.
Thanks, I will give this a try. It's a start on basic principles, which is what I was looking for.

Back