The Togue (Suggestion)

• Thread starter egoslayer
  • 23 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides everything else, i really wanna see a Touge battle option included in GT5. For those of you who don't know what the Touge is, check out youtube and/or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touge. But in short, Touge "refers to a mountain pass or any of the narrow, winding roads that can be found in and around the mountains of Japan and other geographically similar areas." And this is where the battle takes place. Checkit out.

Touge is not a special type of race course or variant of motorsport, its just a hyped up word from the Japanes language thats been used o'so much. Theres been many mountain/canyon road type courses in the previous GTs like Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, El Capitan, Costa di Amalfi etc. Considering the given, I see no reason why these courses or similar ones wont be available in GT 5.

For more information check here and there for the latest GT5 news.

We have many of those mountain passes on the racetrack WL already. There's the Japanese standards, Haruna, Akagi, Irohazaka, etc, as well as Tail of the Dragon and Iron Mountain Road for America, and Stelvio for Europe...Not to mention a few British Hillclimb Championship courses, I think, even a stage of the Monte Carlo Rally.

@Soprano

"Touge is not a special type of race course or variant of motorsport"

It might not be a regulated sporting event, but it can always evolve into one. How do you think other variants of motorsports came to be? They didn't all of a sudden just pop out of somebody's portal and become an official motorsport event. The same applies to the Touge. I'm not saying that it should now all of a sudden become a regulated motorsport event, no. What i am saying is that regardless of whether it is a regulated motorsport event or not, it is unique in its own right, and therefore valid enough to be included in GT5 as a unique racing challenge.

"its just a hyped up word from the Japanes language thats been used o'so muc"

Touge is not a "hyped up word". It's an actual Japanese word that means "a mountain pass or any of the narrow, winding roads". And while I'll give you that it has become more a popular term in the West as a result of the Best Motoring and Option videos that originate from Japan, this does not in any way detract from its true meaning and place in Japanese street racing.

"Theres been many mountain/canyon road type courses in the previous GTs like Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, El Capitan, Costa di Amalfi etc."

You're missing the point. Although there have been many winding road courses on previous GT's, the Touge is not just about racing around winding roads, like you race around a circuit. The Touge has a very specific race format.

Perhaps some people would do better to educate themselves on what Touge really means, rather than just slap a label on it and act smug thinking they now know what it is (e.g. hyped up word, Japanese word, not special enough word, over-used word, blah blah...)

For your education, here's an excerpt from driftpimp to get you up to speed on what touge really means:

"Touge (mountain pass) racing, as the name suggests, takes place on the Japanese mountain sides. Windy roads form the tracks where the races occur. The battle is always done in a one-on-one fashion.

The aim of touge is not to drift, but to be the fastest on a particular stretch of road. Drifting can be used to block the chaser or as a part of a driving strategy, but touge is traditionally focused on grip.

During the race , if the challenger cannot keep up with the leader, the race is lost. If he or she can keep up with the car in front closely, the battle is usually won by the chaser, or a second run is organized. If the chaser is able to pass the car in front, they automatically win the challenge.

In the Touge scene, many "hashiriya"s (Japanese: meaning street racers or road racers) no longer race in the traditional sense. Instead of grip racing, drift has been adopted to show-off and prefect their driving skill. These days, local drivers will gather together in the mountains and team drift. Few possess the competitiveness which fuelled touge racing but rather put their focus on skill.

The best cars for a touge course are often light weight and highly responsive, with an emphasis on handling and engine response rather than outright power. A good example of a touge machine is the "touge monster" Amuse Honda S2000 used in several episodes of BMI (Best Motoring)."

You seem awfully sensitive about this. Sorry to let you know you've been ill-informed but this style of driving has been around a lot longer than BMI, Option, dvd video or you and me.

This style of driving has been around since the 1950s and the founding of the FIA ERC (European Rally Car Championship) with some rally courses consisting of twisting, unleveled mountain type roads. 'Touge' is indeed the Japanese word for mountain pass which I think 98.7% of GTP's population already knows, but not many know that mountain pass and canyon road racing has been around for half a century or maybe longer. Alot of kids also think drifting was created by the Japanese but if they actually educated with themselves with books and not youtube on the history of motorsports they would find out that the skill was mastered throughout the 1950s by majority Europeans (Swedish Rally, Portugal Rally, Finland, Greece etc.)

And we currently have touge battles in the GT4 competition area.
I've had my share of experience competing and setting up vehicles for use on mountain road style race courses.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103177
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103928

Thanks for the attempt at teaching Japanese 'pop' culture. And I also have my very own BMI and Live Sockets dvd collection (Chasing the Touge, BMI Rotary Reborn, BMI Factory Fighters, BMI Roaring Vtec The Battles at 10,000rpm, BMI Vtec Club, BMI Fuji Fast, and BMI Enduro Challenge) so I need not quote from anyone else on what 'touge' is nor do I need educating.

I believe this has already been discussed which is why I suggest you search the forum before posting.

It's too mainstream for my taste. Just like drifting. both were good. But it's over played on both of them

@Soprano

So if you knew what the touge was then why give the impression that it's nothing more than simply driving around a winding road, and therefore not worth much consideration?

"This style of driving has been sround since the 1950s and the founding of the FIA ERC with some rally courses consisting of twisting mountain roads"

Touge battles are quite distinct from FIA ERC / Rally. Surely you can tell the difference?

And yes, i am aware that drifting has been around for some time, but it never became popular until the Japanese took it too a new level. I'm not saying that the Japanese should be given all the credit for inventing drifting - they did not - but it should be obvious that the Japanese did do a lot more to popularize drifting than the drift culture that evolved out of Europe - there's no denying that fact. Not to mention that the Japanese have produced arguably the largest number of highly skilled drifters to ever appear from the human collective gene pool.

@Soprano

So if you knew what the touge was then why give the impression that it's nothing more than simply driving around a winding road, and therefore not worth much consideration?
"Touge" Is not even driving around a winding road. Touge is just a word for a mountain road, and has nothing to do with racing.

Touge RACING on the other hand, is.

egoslayer
Touge battles are quite distinct from FIA ERC / Rally. Surely you can tell the difference?
And Formula drift is quite different from Japanese touge racing, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have started from it.

Basically everyone on this website knows about "touge racing."

While it would be awesome to be able to recreate it without arcade like physics in every other game, I can fully understand why it hasn't been incorporated into the game yet.

For one thing, it's illegal.

egoslayer
And yes, i am aware that drifting has been around for some time, but it never became popular until the Japanese took it too a new level. I'm not saying that the Japanese should be given all the credit for inventing drifting - they did not - but it should be obvious that the Japanese did do a lot more to popularize drifting than the drift culture that evolved out of Europe - there's no denying that fact. Not to mention that the Japanese have produced arguably the largest number of highly skilled drifters to ever appear from the human collective gene pool.

Don't call them Japanese, and we know all of this ^.

"Touge" Is not even driving around a winding road. Touge is just a word for a mountain road, and has nothing to do with racing.

Touge RACING on the other hand, is.

If you wanna get involved in lexicon pedantic's, then include me out.

For one thing, it's illegal.

Interesting point. But that doesnt explain the other million games that feature rape and murder.

Don't call them Japanese, and we know all of this ^.

Lexi pedantics, again. Over here, "Japanese" is not a derogatory term.

If you wanna get involved in lexicon pedantic's, then include me out.
You were the one who made sure to include the definition of touge in your original post. It would make sense to use it.

egoslayer
Interesting point. But that doesnt explain the other million games that feature sex and murder.
Not Gran Turismo

egoslayer
Lexi pedantics, again. Over here, "Japanese" is not a derogatory term.
Well then use it over there, not on a worldwide forum.

So they excluding it b/c it's illegal? Or is this your own assessment?
I'm not saying they excluded it because of that, but that might be why they haven't included it in the past.

Gran Turismo has never included illegal activities, it's a really "proper" racing game in that sense. I doubt they'd start now.

GT is a game that is advertized for good, clean fun. GTA, however, is all about illegal activities.

Just to keep the moderators off your back, try not to double post (two or more consecutive post).
Hit the edit button to add something to a previous post.

On Topic: We currently do "Touge Battles" or race on tight complex road courses.
It doesn't have to be called touge to be that style of racing (which is actually depending on your native language or geographical stand point).

For Example:
If I was to engage in a illegal canyon race in Arizona, theres really no need for me to call it a 'Touge Tandum' since we're not in Japan and its not my native language.
Unless of course I'm just another following the mainstream JDM movement.

Costa di Amalfi is one of the courses thats commonly known to be similar to a "Touge" course, even though it doesn't appear to be in Japan.
Point is we already have these type of races.

Thanks. I've taken more education than i gave. Now i feel bad! lol

Re/ touge battles > sounds great. I'll have to check that one out. But i'm really reaaaaaaaally looking forward to the new GT5 physics + touge style battles.. it's gonna be a dream come true ;) See you there!

im against any kind of togue battle option. i dont need a computer telling me if i won or not(i.e. NFS carbon), that would be up to the racer's jurisdiction.

as long as there's 2 people in a party on a mountain pass or tarmac rally stage, i dont see any need for this

I'd rather see such roads used as tarmac rally stages, myself. and, like nissan tuner said, so long as there's two Initial-D fans on a stage, there should be no problem.

I want to see straight up downhill or uphill options on mountain. Steep, dark mountains, non NFS style. More like Kaido Battle. What they do on Hot Version is legal iirc.
Kaido Battle or "Tokyo Extreme Racer Drift" had some seriously good tracks. Leaves should be avoided, gutters can be used, and it's a lot harder to pass your opponent. Seeing these mountains modeled to GT standards would be amazing. It would make for some fun online battles, drift practices, or just spirited runs.

EgoSlayer,
A search on the subject "Touge" would have brought up such diverse results you'd need to be more specific. Once you're more specific there will certainly be a thread for discussing your opinion.
Remember to search.

That said, I would have liked a less confrontational response in this discussion. It seems like everyone wanted to argue for no reason.
Many here have been arguing the semantics of the word "touge." :rolleyes:
There in lies the problem, we need to properly address what we wish to discuss. From that point we can discuss the subject in another thread (more than likely).

For example... :sly:

Say you want to race "Nose to Tail" without passing (initial d style as it has been referred to in the past). I'm sure the Things You Would Like To See Other Than Cars thread would work just fine (found on first page of "Touge" search results). The same goes for Point to Point Racing.

Likewise, if you wanted to race on the Gunsai Touge, the GTP's Track Wish List would be an excellent thread for discussion. 👍

Bottom line:
Search
Be Specific (if possible)
Be Helpful (if possible)

We don't need to argue simply because there's a new thread based on the subject of Touge racing (even though I admit the word is ambiguous and naturally creates hostilities for a number of reasons).

:cheers:
Hope to catch you all in one of the threads linked above. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back