Thrust SSC 1997

• Thread starter zedex26
  • 19 comments
Canada
Quebec
Zee-X
This may be a LOOOOOOOONG shot but what about the very vehicle that set the world's land speed record?

ThrustSSC_front.jpg

The twin Jet Engine'd ThrustSSC

It has reached a speed of 1,228 km/h (763 mph), which broke the Sound Barrier...

However, I doubt this "car" will be ideal at taking corners, so I'd suggest in addition the inclusion of a "salt flat" track like the Black Rock Desert in Nevada, where it broke the record with the long flat straight, or just "area" in general...?

This and the new one, bloodhound I think it's called. But yes, you would need a special track.

Would prefer this to the moon missions!

This may be a LOOOOOOOONG shot but what about the very vehicle that set the world's land speed record?

ThrustSSC_front.jpg

The twin Jet Engine'd ThrustSSC

It has reached a speed of 1,228 km/h (763 mph), which broke the Sound Barrier...

However, I doubt this "car" will be ideal at taking corners, so I'd suggest in addition the inclusion of a "salt flat" track like the Black Rock Desert in Nevada, where it broke the record with the long flat straight, or just "area" in general...?
Well pd have gone to the moon, why not the desert for a record speed challenge? ;) after all it can't be much harder than replicating moon physics!

I can see lobby titles with "no thrust" to go with their "no redbull", "no x1", or my favorite for GT6, "no hacks".

Last edited:
I wouldn't think it would be a very effective troll car; ramming someone with an SSC would be about as easy as hitting someone with a train.

I think the the most probable incarnation of this car would be in a special event like the Moon Missions, but on a lakebed.

Last edited:
The current holder of the land speed record (763 mph). It would probably go even faster on SSRX and GT players could finally hit supersonic speeds without 16 car lobbies with only speed tuned Redbulls with collision turned off or by using "illegal modifications".
Plus it would be a pretty darn good drag car.

The current holder of the land speed record (763 mph). It would probably go even faster on SSRX
Given that it needs 6 miles of straight line either side of its flying mile, both to get up to 750mph+ and to slow down afterwards, no it wouldn't.

Oh, and it'd burn out its GT-regulation fuel tank in just over five seconds.

Nah, I'm just trying to get GTPEDIA finished so we don't "soon" our update into next month :D

Merged (not that there's any Likes to merge).

Given that it needs 6 miles of straight line either side of its flying mile, both to get up to 750mph+ and to slow down afterwards, no it wouldn't.

Oh, and it'd burn out its GT-regulation fuel tank in just over five seconds.
But the track is almost 19 miles which I'm pretty sure makes each straight at least 7 miles. As for slow down, ain't nobody got time for that :D

They need to be 13 miles each - 6 miles acceleration, flying timed mile, 6 miles deceleration. Hitting the banked curves at 500mph in a car with solid aluminium wheels and rear-wheel steering would be a clencher to end all clenchers. Also, it'd be a car, a plane and a boat all in the space of about five seconds.

They need to be 13 miles each - 6 miles acceleration, flying timed mile, 6 miles deceleration. Hitting the banked curves at 500mph in a car with solid aluminium wheels and rear-wheel steering would be a clencher to end all clenchers. Also, it'd be a car, a plane and a boat all in the space of about five seconds.
I know it does 700mph but it doesn't seem to brake very fast

Indeed - one of their runs missed a record by 45s, because both main parachutes failed and Andy Green overshot his marker by a mile which delayed the turnaround for the run in the opposite direction that the record requires.

But then if you think about it, the flying mile was covered in 5.14s. Without braking he'd cover the 6 mile braking zone in less than 31 seconds. At that speed, your half-a-second thinking time (perceive, decide, react) would be over five hundred feet.

That said, I can't even begin to work out what trans-sonic drag would be like on a car with a seventy square foot frontal area that weighs 10 tons but it won't be pretty.

A mile in 5 seconds? What were the acceleration stats for it? O.o
Its a flying mile. Once he enters the mile he is already at topspeed. The acceleration happens on the 6 Miles befor. You can now calculate by yourself. 0mph at 0 Miles to 763mph and 6 Miles. Enjoy.:D

Its 0-60mph in 4,45sec. If its a steady acceleration.

Last edited:
I would love to have a playable history of the land speed record as a special event, and unlockable LSR venues (Brooklands, Daytona Beach, Bonneville Salt Flats, etc.) to bring your own cars to

Back