Thrustmaster T300RS spontaneously recalibrates in middle of game

Norway
Norway
Hi all

A few days ago I bought a used gaming computer and a used Thrustmaster T300RS GT Edition steering wheel to play mainly Assetto Corsa and City Car Driving. Out of the box, the wheel tended to calibrate about 10-20 degrees off center, so I followed Thrustmaster’s instructions to calibrate the center point manually. It works fine for the most part now, but occasionally it starts to recalibrate itself during usage. I hear the Windows sound that indicates that a USB device is unplugged and immediately plugged in again, and the calibration routine starts as if I had just plugged in the device. It rotates all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, then rotates left again and ends up far off center, a bit more than 180 degrees. However, the center point I manually calibrated stays intact, so the car steers off the road. Also during startup it ends up equally far off center after calibration ends.

It never happens when I’m not moving the wheel. It happens regardless of what software I’m in, it also happens when I use the Thrustmaster Control Panel. It happens regardless of FFB, and when I’m moving the wheel slowly as well. It tends to happen when I turn the wheel all the way to the left.

All firmware and drivers for the wheel are updated. All cables are firmly plugged in, and no hubs or extensions are used.

I have a few theories:
1) The firmware or drivers erroneously detect some condition that indicates that the wheel must be recalibrated, and simulates a quick disconnect and reconnect to start the process.

2) A bug in the firmware causes a crash, and the device immediately reboots.

3) An issue with the USB port causes it to disconnect under certain conditions, such as a power draw surge.

I can post more details like the system configuration and hardware details if you ask. I’ve had the issue since I got the gear.

Any ideas?

I'd start by troubleshooting connectivity for both power and usb. Testing basic continuity of all connections along with ensuring all voltages are within spec would be my first things to attack.

Back