Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,902 comments
Finally some time for GT. Am I just rusty or is the Porsche at HSR insanely difficult? I honestly thought this would be easy. Took me lots of laps to finally get a clean one in.

19170fb3a6783-screenshotUrl.jpg

Having done what I think are gold banker laps in the other challenges, I've had my first go in the Merc and I'm FOUR seconds off the top time. Not just that, but no idea how.

I can't get my head around the new physics. There's no grip, I'm just understeering everywhere. When I drop the corner speed time just evaporates. Really weird.

I made the mistake of thinking that the aliens just sit on their rig and put an unreacheable world record for the mere mortals in a lap or two.
Im obviously simplifying the thing but I would have never guessed the amount of hours they put behind TTs

View attachment 1382567

I remember with the Olympics event looking at the profiles of the top two toward the end (Gallo and Mangano?) and they were doing around 1500 km per day.

Edit. Here is Gallo's mileage early May last year when the Olympic event was coming to an end.
Screenshot_20240820_210547_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I made the mistake of thinking that the aliens just sit on their rig and put an unreacheable world record for the mere mortals in a lap or two.
Im obviously simplifying the thing but I would have never guessed the amount of hours they put behind TTs

View attachment 1382567

That makes me feel much better about my times. I'm not paid to do this and I'm not independently wealthy so a couple top 100s here or there feels like a good return on my investment. 😂

2.5 sessions and no gold. Literally never happened to me before. only 0.1 till gold. It's so frustrating, I can't even work anymore. I'll use AMG for OMG now.

P.S. With Clio and many others recently, 30-40 mins and I am around top 500-1000. Now it's 3+ hours and it's something like top 5000. I am kind of lost and confused. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Long track + easy to drive slow car = easy gold
Shorter track + tricky car = harder gold
I understand that, and as I mentioned before, I do have 54 consecutive golds right now. I've seen bunch of combinations or short/long/tricky tracks, but it always was understandable how to improve. Here I just don't get it. It should be something with new physics and FFB feel, I am just doing something drastically wrong what is not working anymore. It seems like I drive on a limit using all track and being early on accelerator, it's not perfect, but 2.4 seconds behind? I don't know....

Last edited:
I understand that, and as I mentioned before, I do have 54 consecutive golds right now. I've seen bunch of combinations or short/long/tricky tracks, but it always was understandable how to improve. Here I just don't get it. It should be something with new physics and FFB feel, I am just doing something drastically wrong what is not working anymore. It seems like I drive on a limit using all track and being early on accelerator, it's not perfect, but 3 seconds behind? I don't know....
I'm on same boat as you. The sweet spot where all the grips are being use is just so hard to get to or maintain. I'm either under the limit or over. Not sure if it is the RS tires or just Gr3 cars with RS tires.

Granted, I was never that great with high downforce cars in grippy tires. But to struggle to get into gold is something I haven't experience in a while.

PS: Still love the new physics tho!

I remember with the Olympics event looking at the profiles of the top two toward the end (Gallo and Mangano?) and they were doing around 1500 km per day.

Edit. Here is Gallo's mileage early May last year when the Olympic event was coming to an end.
Genuine questions:
what are these guys living with? Gt7 sponsor, socials, other esports titles?
What they will be doing in 10-15 years?

I'm on same boat as you. The sweet spot where all the grips are being use is just so hard to get to or maintain. I'm either under the limit or over. Not sure if it is the RS tires or just Gr3 cars with RS tires.

Granted, I was never that great with high downforce cars in grippy tires. But to struggle to get into gold is something I haven't experience in a while.

PS: Still love the new physics tho!
What is interesting, is that in events like "Red Bull + Road Atlanta", I was sitting around top 200-400 while not that many people were able to get gold at all. Now it's already ~4k with gold and I've spent more time(or close to it) that I ever spent on Online Time Trial and still don't have gold. It should be some habits or driving style that just doesn't work with New Physics. I am not complaining and I love new physics, it's just genuinely surprising.

zjn
Genuine questions:
what are these guys living with? Gt7 sponsor, socials, other esports titles?
What they will be doing in 10-15 years?
Retired, living on a mega yacht as an influencer earning even more money to afford the insurence on the Ferrari F40 sat on the dock for when they are back on land 😂

Or just chilling doing GT10 time trials on a PS7 earning money from streaming 🤷🏻‍♂️

What is interesting, is that in events like "Red Bull + Road Atlanta", I was sitting around top 200-400 while not that many people were able to get gold at all. Now it's already ~4k with gold and I've spent more time(or close to it) that I ever spent on Online Time Trial and still don't have gold. It should be some habits or driving style that just doesn't work with New Physics. I am not complaining and I love new physics, it's just genuinely surprising.
One of the problem I found I have with the new physics is I have to release the brakes more deliberately yet more carefully during trail braking.

I think the old physics while made the car understeer more.....were more lenient when it came to trail braking. You could have more brake pressure on and it wouldn't overload the tires. With the new physics, if you ended up having more braking force than needed, the front tires would just overheat and understeer you go.

One of the problem I found I have with the new physics is I have to release the brakes more deliberately yet more carefully during trail braking.

I think the old physics while made the car understeer more.....were more lenient when it came to trail braking. You could have more brake pressure on and it wouldn't overload the tires. With the new physics, if you ended up having more braking force than needed, the front tires would just overheat and understeer you go.
This is the exact feeling I have but did not have a clue how to explain it, that is spot on, I think the new physics with trail braking is much more realistic than before.

It feels really good with the Clio V6 on the current TT although I have reduced my steering sensitivity (which I never do) to 6 to ease in my steering input to reduce understeer, and it feels great now.

I understand that, and as I mentioned before, I do have 54 consecutive golds right now. I've seen bunch of combinations or short/long/tricky tracks, but it always was understandable how to improve. Here I just don't get it. It should be something with new physics and FFB feel, I am just doing something drastically wrong what is not working anymore. It seems like I drive on a limit using all track and being early on accelerator, it's not perfect, but 2.4 seconds behind? I don't know....
It's been a long while since I quit an initial session without a gold. Even if just barely. That Merc yesterday made me give up after about an hour. I had to come back to it.

I'm not sure what I did differently to squeak in but I managed to, barely, after a break. I may try again but I really hope my time holds because I do not enjoy it in the least.

I'm no expert with the finer points of technical car wizardry so I doubt this is relevant but I was interested to find if you run the AMG on soft at Laguna in a time trial it feels way more like you'd expect it to, it's predictable, granted the BOP adjustment is a key difference but it feels, to me at least, like something is off with the bopped version, it swings from pin-sharp to super loose in a second.

But my whingeing does nothing so two hours later I achieved an almighty 0:01.97 improvement :lol: So I'm in the 1:21's at least

I can get good times in all sectors but never all in one lap, yet.

nb Lord help the man who designed these highly unnecessary sausage kerbs, he'd be brown bread ⚰️

Last edited:
Decided to have a go at Spa for the first time in about 2 weeks. It took forever to get used to the car again, and Eau Rouge can be pure pain (at least it's early in the lap, so restarting isn't as annoying). My gain from the first session? .071. Whoopee! :lol: After a dandy first sector, I had a bunch of missed apexes and slides that hurt in sector 2. Then Blanchimont...didn't quite go as planned. Oh, well. I think a 2:28 is in the cards if I can hook up a good lap sometime in the next 11? days that are left.
IMG_3531.jpg

At that point in time i know that @Pesselles wants to join the 2:32 club at Mount Panorama. Here you go! Now you have two targets in one:
1000022083.png

Additionally it's never wrong to overtake a german. ;) @MUC76
1000022082.png
But let me say: I think that was it. Off to holidays again after this week. So I'll try the new one a bit in the next days and that's it.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Did the Porsche LL @ High Speed Ring a while ago, got a safe gold and left it at that. Really didn't enjoy that combo to be honest and was glad to get it over with.

Tonight I did the Clio @ Bathurst, and man, now THAT is fun! Such a blast to throw it around the Mountain. Got into gold territory fairly quick, but put in a few more laps to dip my toes into the 2:32's. My favorite one in a while!

Did a fair few laps in the AMG Time Trial at Laguna Seca, and that is a tough one! Currently I'm a tenth away from gold, after logging apx. 150km. I've got the pace in me, but needed to stop. Will try and revisit that before it runs out!

Had some short stints at laguna seca in last two days. Can't even get close to my pb which is around 1.21.6 so I'm far from gold. Today I will give it a go for the last time and settle for whatever I manage to get, then onto new tt and honda at SPA which I enjoy more.
You could have more brake pressure on and it wouldn't overload the tires. With the new physics, if you ended up having more braking force than needed, the front tires would just overheat and understeer you go.
In this tt I feel like I'm driving on overheating tires for 90% of the lap (95% if I press the brake too much before T1-2 :) ) and that makes my lap times go forever.

... I do not enjoy it in the least.
I realy love the AMG TT! For me it's the best in a long time. I've never put so much effort in a TT before. A proper race car in the dry, it doesn't get any better!
The Clio TT on the other hand ... i did 5 laps, 4 became red and the one with a time was with 5.5% in bronze. But to me this is so boring, i won't invest more than another 10 min in it!

I'm very surprised how many of GTP's fast guys struggle with the AMG!

Spent another 3 hours on the mountain last night, trying to improve on my 30.403, but no luck, ugh. I had small improvements in each sector but not on a single lap, of course. I even painted my Clio yellow and added couple of stickers (2HP each), but even that didn't help.

One thing that I have to say - do not, and I do mean DO NOT touch the grass, even slightly. I don't know if it's the new physics or just this TT, but even a slightest touch makes the tires so dirty, next 2-3 corners are ruined, you can write off the lap completely. Only place where is acceptable to go onto the green stuff is the last corner, if you are not planning to continue with the next lap.

Back