Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,704 comments
I'm actually ending my three month long sim racing career (for now).

My wife got a reserve spot from a school she's been trying to get in, so we're moving to a new city in a month.
I've already put my rig on sale to finance a part of the move.
Not very motivated to continue with a controller, if you catch my drift.

Good luck everyone and keep being awesome :cheers:
You will be missed for sure - in this tt-forum section and at the top of my PSN-friends... Best wishes to you and your family! One day we will hopefully meet and race again.

@Lomic

For sector 2...looks like you missed the line on the long right hander. At 43 seconds in the video, you can see you are drifting a bit wide compare to the track marks on the track and you were a bit left compare to them. It can happen but can easily fix with a very very light touch on the brake or a quick downshift then upshift can tighten the line. After that, you can stay in the 4th before the left hander as well as the u-turn after that, no need to shift to 5th.

You are doing pretty good...you should be able to gold this one just by fixing minor errors here and there. Always remember to look ahead...don't focus on the ghost or the road right in front of the car. It is the EASIEST way to improve your lap...as it is not a technically thing...it is a mental focus thing. Focus beyond the apex...look at where you want your car to be at the exit. You might not notice it, but if you look further down the road....you tend to NOT over correct the car mid turn, and you are less likely to over crank the steering which will make you not use the entire track or worse...make the car feels nervous mid turn.

I drove all the GR4 cars! And I gold all of them! Yes...the M4 too! 🤣

TimeCar(s)Note
1:54.3Silvia S15
1:54.7Cayman
1:54.8Peugeot RCZ, McLaren 650S* RCZ: Got this time on my 3rd lap! Quick car!
1:54.9F-type, G70* Surprised by the G70. Absolutely unremarkable yet quick
1:55.0Viper
Low 55sMustang, NSX, Genesis, Huracan, Toyota 86, GR Supra, Audi TT, 458 Italia* Possible 54s with some work
Low/Mid 55sAtenza, Alfa 4C, Alfa 155, Lancer Evo, Corvette, VW Scirocco, Aston V8 Vantage, Citroen GT, Renault Megane Trophy (MR), WRX, Veyron, GT-R, Lexus RC F, Renault Megane (FF), SLS AMG, Swift
1:55.5M4* Figured out how to drive this car. Need to shift at 6.5k RPM. It has NO top end.

There are a few of those Low/Mid 55s that I can probably push into the 54s but will require a lot of work.

I guess all those driving did something good to my lap time. I shaved off another 0.2 of my PB with the Silvia!

188f5666ebe58-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
I drove all the GR4 cars! And I gold all of them! Yes...the M4 too!
Epic work Sir! Agree on the M4 - it’s like the BoP has taken an axe to the torque curve! I drove many of the cars to try them all out, and for the most part really enjoyed the chance to experience the differences. The M4 though was very disappointing, but haven’t driven it offline without BoP to see whether it redeems itself.

Epic work Sir! Agree on the M4 - it’s like the BoP has taken an axe to the torque curve! I drove many of the cars to try them all out, and for the most part really enjoyed the chance to experience the differences. The M4 though was very disappointing, but haven’t driven it offline without BoP to see whether it redeems itself.
The M4 power band is really weird. You have to drive it like a muscle car...shift way early and use 1 gear up. I was using 7th at the long straight!

It's actually not that horrible of a car, but have to be driven a bit differently. PB with that car was 1:55.1, which was better than some other cars. With some pushing...I can probably take it into the 54s 😂

Last edited:
I drove all the GR4 cars! And I gold all of them! Yes...the M4 too! 🤣

TimeCar(s)Note
1:54.3Silvia S15
1:54.7Cayman
1:54.8Peugeot RCZ, McLaren 650S* RCZ: Got this time on my 3rd lap! Quick car!
1:54.9F-type, G70* Surprised by the G70. Absolutely unremarkable yet quick
1:55.0Viper
Low 55sMustang, NSX, Genesis, Huracan, Toyota 86, GR Supra, Audi TT, 458 Italia* Possible 54s with some work
Low/Mid 55sAtenza, Alfa 4C, Alfa 155, Lancer Evo, Corvette, VW Scirocco, Aston V8 Vantage, Citroen GT, Renault Megane Trophy (MR), WRX, Veyron, GT-R, Lexus RC F, Renault Megane (FF), SLS AMG, Swift
1:55.5M4* Figured out how to drive this car. Need to shift at 6.5k RPM. It has NO top end.

There are a few of those Low/Mid 55s that I can probably push into the 54s but will require a lot of work.

I guess all those driving did something good to my lap time. I shaved off another 0.2 of my PB with the Silvia!

View attachment 1268064

There are 2 stand out results in this list.

I have no idea how the Cayman is so high up. It’s my Manu, I love how it drives, but it’s not in the top 10 around WG for me.

The other is the Veyron. I’m faster in that than anything else. I have a 54.0 with next best a 54.2 in the McLaren. You have to short shift it though. (Same with the McLaren)

This makes me sad, best of luck @JHop and all the best in your new life.. Perhaps your wife could buy you a new sim rig in the new City to say Thank You for the sacrifice? :lol:

Wowsers, superfast! @Gomario JSP when are you going to entertain us on a wheel and make us realise you were the fastest forum member full stop!?

Accidental long session for me today after a hard morning session digging four billion weeds out of my garden I got stuck into the Glen knowing it is nearly up. A bit daunting coming into it now because I know how little room I have to improve; every corner has to be perfect. It was very satisfying though, once I'm in the groove I really get this one. Annoyingly exactly the same happened on a perfect lap here like last time, miles ahead of PB and then just took one corner with a bit too much greed and touched the grass to lose 0.2 seconds. I think it would have been a 1:53.5xx!! It was a still PB but I couldn't stand my fastest lap having such a huge mistake. I did manage to get a quicker lap... by three thousand of a second but I know there's a good 0.3 seconds out there at my current pace! I really really really want to nail this one (@djolliea feel free to keep trying for the WR at BH and don't bother at the Glen, kiitos!).
View attachment 1267907
View attachment 1267908
View attachment 1267909

🤣🤣 I wish that I was as fast as you guys, GT5 I did on playseat and was not bad at it, but this is a whole nother level of TT with all the freaking aliens around here, but I like to think I could pick up some time indeed with a wheel again, if the daughters room becomes available then I can save up for a rig 😁🤣
Cause playseat in the livingroom + wife equals death... 🤣

As for your time on WG..... come on dude.....give us all a chance on the leaderboard, that is serious alien territory and to be fair, it's kind of high alien territory,
What an awesome lap, silky smooth!, congrats man! 🍾🍾🥳

The Hatch frustration continues,

Yesterday evening I ran some laps again trying to find time, and I am flabbergasted that the gold time isn't more difficult, happy with it but I realy don't understand, I made a HUGE mistake on the Dingle Del and mowed all of Englands green (picture in start video) what set me off completely for the Stirlings ( talk about abusing tracklimits here ) :lol:
I lost so much time there, that was 100% my descent 39...., But still placed 117 with a 1:40.158 🤔
What i'm trying to say is that a alot of you guys are just faster than me, and clearly are going to be within top 100 this time
Most of the time you are half a second quicker than me so easy peasy lemon squeezy for you Dan!

For now I quote you ....
You are fast Dan..... but...40.322 isn't just fast enough isn't it? (Should be over soon I know but had to say it at least once 🤣🤣🤣)

Last edited:
🤣🤣 I wish that I was as fast as you guys, GT5 I did on playseat and was not bad at it, but this is a whole nother level of TT with all the freaking aliens around here, but I like to think I could pick up some time indeed with a wheel again, if the daughters room becomes available then I can save up for a rig 😁🤣

As for your time on WG..... come on dude.....give us all a chance on the leaderboard, that is serious alien territory and to be fair, it's kind of high alien territory,

Yesterday evening I ran some laps again trying to find time, and I am flabbergasted that the gold time isn't more difficult, happy with it but I realy don't understand, I made a HUGE mistake on the Dingle Del and mowed all of Englands green (picture in start video) what set me off completely for the Stirlings ( talk about abusing tracklimits here ) :lol:
I lost so much time there, that was 100% my descent 39...., But still placed 117 with a 1:40.158 🤔
What i'm trying to say is that a alot of you guys are just faster than me, and clearly are going to be within top 100 this time
Most of the time you are half a second quicker than me so easy peasy lemon squeezy for you Dan!

For now I quote you ....
You are fast Dan..... but...40.322 isn't just fast enough isn't it? (Should be over soon I know but had to say it at least once 🤣🤣🤣)

I clearly understand and feel your frustration. So I would like to offer you a way to feel better by giving me your "poor" 1:40.158 :lol:

@Lomic

For sector 2...looks like you missed the line on the long right hander. At 43 seconds in the video, you can see you are drifting a bit wide compare to the track marks on the track and you were a bit left compare to them.
Absolutely, in this situation I am always pondering if I should brake a bit to get closer to the inside but lose momentum or coast longer, that time, I accelerated too early, I should have coasted a bit more to get closer
or a quick downshift then upshift can tighten the line. After that, you can stay in the 4th before the left hander as well as the u-turn after that, no need to shift to 5th.
I am driving in AT, so downshifting to use engine brake is of the table
You are doing pretty good...you should be able to gold this one just by fixing minor errors here and there.
Yes I think that I can reach gold if I do less errors.
Always remember to look ahead...don't focus on the ghost or the road right in front of the car.
The ghost blocks the view most of the time, hopefuly I know the track well now so I know what I have to do, but the ghost is a bit unsettling. But it shows me where I should be on the track and where to brake too.

Thanks for your advices !

I clearly understand and feel your frustration. So I would like to offer you a way to feel better by giving me your "poor" 1:40.158 :lol:
:lol: :lol:, i'm certainly not complaining, still a fast time, just could be a lot faster :lol::lol:

@Lomic

You are on fire, and it's so good to see the difference in laps now, you realy are becomming faster!
Your lap is becomming quite clean!, if i may suggest, i would only say :

-on the straight, stay in 5th and rev the heck out of it before the busstop.

-@ 0.44 try to stay a bit close to the right hand side by lifting and sometimes maby even go back to third for rotation
then exit in 4th en rev it out, no need for 5th.

- @1.01 same, rev the heck out of 4th.

-@ 1.16 same, rev the heck out of 4th

I see the previous post appearing now, you drive AT, sorry!

:):)

Great job, keep pushing!

Last edited:

For now I quote you ....

you impress me TT after TT !!!!! :bowdown::bowdown:
Wow !!!!! Would you become a gamepad alien???!!!! 🤣🤣
Congratulations again for this nice trick 👏👏👏💪💪💪

You are on fire, and it's so good to see the difference in laps now, you realy are becomming faster!
Thanks ! You guys are pushing me and it is a blast 😁
I see the previous post appearing now, you drive AT, sorry!
Yes 😓I already struggle to do all the driving with 4 fingers : left index on L2 for brakes, right finger on R2 for accelerator, left thumb on the left stick for steering, and right thumb to get a good grip of the dualsense.

Some use square and cross buttons with right thumb to shift which is the closer to how I am currently using the controller, but my brain will need a lot of practice to go from AT to MT.

L1 and R1 feel more natural to go MT but my brain will absolutely make a mess if I try to use middle fingers for gas/brake and indexes for gears.

I do no doubt the interest to go MT, but it will require a lot of work 😅

Yes 😓I already struggle to do all the driving with 4 fingers : left index on L2 for brakes, right finger on R2 for accelerator, left thumb on the left stick for steering, and right thumb to get a good grip of the dualsense.

Some use square and cross buttons with right thumb to shift which is the closer to how I am currently using the controller, but my brain will need a lot of practice to go from AT to MT.

L1 and R1 feel more natural to go MT but my brain will absolutely make a mess if I try to use middle fingers for gas/brake and indexes for gears.

Seriously, you're doing great and we are all sure you'll gold this TT (and the next ones).

As we can gold any TT with automatic gears, I consider manual gears as a Dante inferno circle :mischievous:

The ghost blocks the view most of the time, hopefuly I know the track well now so I know what I have to do, but the ghost is a bit unsettling. But it shows me where I should be on the track and where to brake too.

I don't know what the button is on the pad, but there should be something you can press to toggle the ghost on/off if you feel they're obstructing your view.

I don't know what the button is on the pad, but there should be something you can press to toggle the ghost on/off if you feel they're obstructing your view.
Yes but I use ghost to follow the good path, it is both annoying and useful. I also do practice session with no ghost. So if I choose to have ghost, it helps for path but is in the way too, can't have both 😅

I don't have the fingers of a concerto pianist, so I use a very simple setup on the controller: buttons for acceleration and braking (so I need TC), AT and left stick for steering. Yes I am slower that way, but the simplicity makes it much more relaxing to drive.

I was in the exact same situation - the way I hold the pad makes it very awkward to use all 4 shoulder buttons simultaneously. In the end I bought the Edge controller with the back buttons (not just for GT7). Much more comfortable for me having gear select on those, now after 25 years of AT on all driving games I'm driving manual and can feel the improvements.

AT and left stick for steering
Did not catch how you switch gears ?

8 laps at WG a few minutes ago, not very good, the 2 first laps where not so bad, I clipped the grass entering "the chute" and despite that I was still .5s less than the previous 1.57.114 on the top of the hill after the toe, that lap had potential.

after that it was just bad 1st corner and no chance to make up for it later

188f725ed4d36-screenshotUrl.jpg

Lap count 92, will I get gold with less than 100 laps ? 😅

Last edited:
Looking at peers, I realised a 53 is what I at least have to manage. Kinda sucks to be about 0,150 ahead of a 53.5 ghost clocking sector 1 but dropping half a second on him from there ’til the end. But I suppose Gr.4 simply isn’t my thing, the cars are in my opinion too slow and quite dull to drive.

188f77c13ef56-screenshotUrl.png

Anyway, as for the MT/AT discussion. If you don’t have some kind of physical issue hindering you from trying MT, do try it. It will absolutely make you a better and quicker driver eventually. More car control, better rotation when needed, not entering incorrect gears in certain corners, etc. I’m on the DualSense and use
cross
for gear up and
square
button for gear down, which if I remember correctly is the default setting and it works great and feels natural as the right thumb pretty much rests on top of those two buttons when holding the controller.

I think you have to map ghost on/off. I have it on R3 I think.

Simple set up for me, triggers for throttle and brake - dualsense haptic are really good and I find you have decent control of applying partial throttle- I'd like to be able to change some of the dead zone though, it goes full throttle very early in the triggers travel.

Up n down gears on Square and X. Steering on analogue stick.

Did not catch how you switch gears ?

8 laps at WG a few minutes ago, not very good, the 2 first laps where not so bad, I clipped the grass entering "the chute" and despite that I was still .5s less than the previous 1.57.114 on the top of the hill after the toe, that lap had potential.

after that it was just bad 1st corner and no chance to make up for it later

View attachment 1268125

Lap count 92, will I get gold with less than 100 laps ? 😅
I spent some time last evening trying to gain a few... I managed to tie a good one together and got into the mid 56 range. I have a gold in me as well. I just need to tighten up the first corner (I'm so inconsistent) and the hard right uphill 3/4 of the way through and I'll have it. Those two are the biggest time sucks for me. Nice work chipping away!!

Improved my PB on Brands Hatch at 1:42.214 after some irregular laps. Still in silver and still need to gain 0.300 to get the yellow medal sub 1:42. It's clearly doable as my optimal lap was 1:41.893.
keep on pushing!!

Improved my PB on Brands Hatch at 1:42.214 after some irregular laps. Still in silver and still need to gain 0.300 to get the yellow medal sub 1:42. It's clearly doable as my optimal lap was 1:41.893.
keep on pushing!!
For me...a lot of time lost was due to the car going into the corner nearly side way. So I tried to brake a bit early and not as hard (and keep a tiny little bit of throttle while braking)...seemed to keep the over rotation in check reasonably well.

@Lomic I don't think it was asked before...but what view do you use? hood cam? bumper cam? chase cam?

Last edited:
Back