Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,700 comments
🤣🤣 I wish that I was as fast as you guys, GT5 I did on playseat and was not bad at it, but this is a whole nother level of TT with all the freaking aliens around here, but I like to think I could pick up some time indeed with a wheel again, if the daughters room becomes available then I can save up for a rig 😁🤣
Cause playseat in the livingroom + wife equals death... 🤣

As for your time on WG..... come on dude.....give us all a chance on the leaderboard, that is serious alien territory and to be fair, it's kind of high alien territory,
What an awesome lap, silky smooth!, congrats man! 🍾🍾🥳

The Hatch frustration continues,

Yesterday evening I ran some laps again trying to find time, and I am flabbergasted that the gold time isn't more difficult, happy with it but I realy don't understand, I made a HUGE mistake on the Dingle Del and mowed all of Englands green (picture in start video) what set me off completely for the Stirlings ( talk about abusing tracklimits here ) :lol:
I lost so much time there, that was 100% my descent 39...., But still placed 117 with a 1:40.158 🤔
What i'm trying to say is that a alot of you guys are just faster than me, and clearly are going to be within top 100 this time
Most of the time you are half a second quicker than me so easy peasy lemon squeezy for you Dan!

For now I quote you ....
You are fast Dan..... but...40.322 isn't just fast enough isn't it? (Should be over soon I know but had to say it at least once 🤣🤣🤣)

I mean hitting those sort of times on a Nokia is just out of this world isn't it! I Haven't tried on a pad but I just can't imagine how difficult it must be to get the gentle inputs this car needs to be quick! I do enjoy it but only had a few short sessions at Brands Hatch as I wanted to go out on a high with Watkins Glen...

Talking of the Glen.. the search for perfection continues. I actually found it last night, sweat dripping off me, arms tense, fingers bleeding. I noticed that outrageously fast resident forum alien @djolliea had set a new fastest time and knocked me off top spot which gave me some added motivation! I set a new PB tantalisingly close to his new time but still 0.01s off and only a slight improvement on my personal best. 90 minutes and god knows how many miles later (including a whole hour of forgetting how to get through the bus stop chicance, that was fun!) I found absolute perfection in the first three sectors; each corner was almost the fastest I had ever taken them. I was actualy only around three tenths off the world record at this point as I came out of turn 9! That third split was so much quicker than I've ever gone before and so for the sake of my sanity I took the final two turns gently to guarantee a PB. I reckon that cost me 0.2s compared to the quickest I've been through there BUT we still did a... wait for it.... 1:53.511! :bowdown:

Honestly I'm so chuffed about this one, no point trying to beat that as I'll never hook up those three sectors that perfectly again. I think this is the first time I can genuinely say I've outperformed myself but it just felt so RIGHT! That car on that track, the scapel sharp Silvia was a joy and the only bad thing about it is that it was most definitely the meta. I might try a few other cars and
set some reasonable times with them today for fun if I have time, but yeah time to just sit back and appreciate all the effort that went into this one!
IMG_0990.jpeg

IMG_0991.jpeg

IMG_0992.jpeg

Last edited:
I mean hitting those sort of times on a Nokia is just out of this world isn't it! I Haven't tried on a pad but I just can't imagine how difficult it must be to get the gentle inputs this car needs to be quick! I do enjoy it but only had a few short sessions at Brands Hatch as I wanted to go out on a high with Watkins Glen...

Talking of the Glen.. the search for perfection continues. I actually found it last night, sweat dripping off me, arms tense, fingers bleeding. I noticed that outrageously fast resident forum alien @djolliea had set a new fastest time and knocked me off top spot which gave me some added motivation! I set a new PB tantalisingly close to his new time but still 0.01s off and only a slight improvement on my personal best. 90 minutes and god knows how many miles later (including a whole hour of forgetting how to get through the bus stop chicance, that was fun!) I found absolute perfection in the first three sectors; each corner was almost the fastest I had ever taken them. I was actualy only around three tenths off the world record at this point as I came out of turn 9! That third split was so much quicker than I've ever gone before and so for the sake of my sanity I took the final two turns gently to guarantee a PB. I reckon that cost me 0.2s compared to the quickest I've been through there BUT we still did a... wait for it.... 1:53.511! :bowdown:

Honestly I'm so chuffed about this one, no point trying to beat that as I'll never hook up those three sectors that perfectly again. I think this is the first time I can genuinely say I've outperformed myself but it just felt so RIGHT! That car on that track, the scapel sharp Silvia was a joy and the only bad thing about it is that it was most definitely the meta. I might try a few other cars and
set some reasonable times with them today for fun if I have time, but yeah time to just sit back and appreciate all the effort that went into this one!
View attachment 1268457
View attachment 1268455
View attachment 1268456

Holy cr*p Dan, that's insane?!, i thought my lap felt descently fast but that's .8 of a second you got on me, just insane, you are starting to level up fast and are within top 100 often now, that mean official top of the alien list, you have officially left us to be with them...., we hope you won't forget us and infiltrate in their world to give us the tips to gold them all :lol:, so Dan, you are undercover now.... :lol:

Seriously good job mate, out of this world!

I got to be honest with you, my BH time has been set on the tv......, i'm almost ashamed :lol:
it's a good time for me!, still place 123 now and 117 when set yesterday, so i can't complain but until now i never had a clean lap, so i have no doubt you are in the 39's quite fast when you try, sliding roadcars has proven to be a strong point of yours ( NSX - Daytona for example ), so come on, kick me down on the board already :lol:

I had a few runs this morning but never matched my PB but very close every time, happy hunting! 💪:lol::);)

Last edited:

View attachment 1268457
View attachment 1268455
View attachment 1268456

Oh come on! You're putting up a bloody good fight here. Tbh, I'm not sure if I can top that, or even have the motivation to try anymore because you're faster than my best optimal lap ever. How come you're so good at WG? :D

Last edited:
Congratulations to all for the improvements at WG and BH.
I haven't had too much time to lap and I am still looking for gold at WG, while at BH did about ten laps just to get a feel for what we are talking about. This is going to be a complex TT for me, BH is not my place, and this car has me feeling even more challenged.

@330_D

Also you can set how far ahead the ghost is in front of you. 0.3-0.5 second is a good start. If the ghost gets away from you too fast, you can set the ghost to reset. This way it will reset at each sector.

But does it work for you? I ran for an hour in WG on Saturday. I have a 56.3X and set my ghost to +0.3s, without regeneration, to aim for a 56.0.
On the start line I see that the ghost appears meters ahead, I arrived at the finish line with my nose at the height of half the ghost's hood. Exhale of joy, it's gold! but no, it was a time 5 tenths worse. Something doesn't add up for me in this feature!

On Sunday I only had time for a Toyota cup race, all in all fun and finished well, from ninth to fifth.

Last night 40 minutes of passion, again in WG, during which 1) the dog rushes to the window and starts barking as if there is S.W.A.T. trying to get in when I am 3 tenths down from my record 2) the cat vomits a hairball a span from the post. In short... concentration through the roof and unimproved time :(

I'd really like to get to the gold in WG, but I don't know if I'll have any more opportunities to try.

zjn
Congratulations to all for the improvements at WG and BH.
I haven't had too much time to lap and I am still looking for gold at WG, while at BH did about ten laps just to get a feel for what we are talking about. This is going to be a complex TT for me, BH is not my place, and this car has me feeling even more challenged.

But does it work for you? I ran for an hour in WG on Saturday. I have a 56.3X and set my ghost to +0.3s, without regeneration, to aim for a 56.0.
On the start line I see that the ghost appears meters ahead, I arrived at the finish line with my nose at the height of half the ghost's hood. Exhale of joy, it's gold! but no, it was a time 5 tenths worse. Something doesn't add up for me in this feature!

On Sunday I only had time for a Toyota cup race, all in all fun and finished well, from ninth to fifth.

Last night 40 minutes of passion, again in WG, during which 1) the dog rushes to the window and starts barking as if there is S.W.A.T. trying to get in when I am 3 tenths down from my record 2) the cat vomits a hairball a span from the post. In short... concentration through the roof and unimproved time :(

I'd really like to get to the gold in WG, but I don't know if I'll have any more opportunities to try.
It helps. My biggest issue is control with the analog stick. I also tend to drift my line of sight close as the race goes on so having a ghost out in front to focus on helps me look far ahead. Not always. Sometimes I just suck.

Last edited:
It helps. My biggest issue is control with the analog stick. I also tend to drift my line of sight close as the race goes on so having a ghost out in front to focus on helps me look far ahead. Not always. Sometimes I just suck.
I'm not saying it doesn't help, I'm saying that I don't see it working when configured with a time displacement. Or at least this is what I saw couple of days ago.
I wanted to improve my time by 0.3s, so I took my ghost and added a 0.3s displacement with no sector respawn.
When I reached the fihish line my car was morrowless on the ghost just half a bonnet behind. I was expeting a 0.25s improvement, instead I had a 0.05s delay against my PB.

I use ghost quite a lot, the huge majority of the time without displacement, and I see it working properly.
The few times I used displacement I came away with the feeling of it being buggy.

zjn
I'm not saying it doesn't help, I'm saying that I don't see it working when configured with a time displacement. Or at least this is what I saw couple of days ago.
I wanted to improve my time by 0.3s, so I took my ghost and added a 0.3s displacement with no sector respawn.
When I reached the fihish line my car was morrowless on the ghost just half a bonnet behind. I was expeting a 0.25s improvement, instead I had a 0.05s delay against my PB.

I use ghost quite a lot, the huge majority of the time without displacement, and I see it working properly.
The few times I used displacement I came away with the feeling of it being buggy.
It works perfectly fine for me. I have experienced nothing like what you're saying. If I set it 0.5s ahead, and catch up - I am 0.5s faster.

zjn
I guess it depends on what you are using the ghost for. For me it is merely a guidance (I always use rank #1's ghost)...not something to chase and get ahead, so reseting works well as the ghost won't be 2 miles ahead by the time I hit the last sector. If you are using your own ghost to chase and get ahead, then yes, reseting the ghost probably isn't very useful.

You know how rubbish you are when doing these, im literally doing my head in, i cannot go any quicker and im around 6 - 10 seconds off on various tracks to the top guys...:drool::banghead::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Just keep at it...it takes MANY MANY laps just to get within 1 second or 2 to the top guys. Just WG alone I've probably done 2-3 (maybe 4) hundred laps in different cars. That's just for this TT only....all the laps that we put in in any other TTs also helped to get close to the top guys. Unfortunately...there is just no short cut to this...the more laps you do...the faster you get. Some of those who are on top of the ranking board spent hrs everyday driving.

Practice makes perfect :D

I can confirm that it’s glitchy. Periodically mine will reset from 0.5s to no gap at sector checkpoints.

I think it had happened to me before when I chase my own ghost...and I found that I'm closer to the ghost at reset if I had done an exceptionally good sector before or when the speed I was at when arriving the checkpoint is faster than the ghost.

Last edited:
I believe I set all new personal playtime records on GT7 this morning.

Longest single stint in a TT without restarts - 52 laps.
Longest stint in VR without a break - 2.5 hours.

I wish I had more to show for it, but I did manage  some improvement.

188fe424b2388-screenshotUrl.jpg

I'm soooo close to a 1:54 ... Optimal lap was 1:54.4xx. I have one more day to try!

Finally got time to try the new TT in the Genesis. One of the easiest for me so far. I'm generally strong at Brands Hatch, and I tend to do better in the TT's that feature road cars, and after 7 laps I was comfortably in the gold with a 1:41.197. As you can see from the lap below, it was not the tidiest of laps, but it'll do for gold, so I probably won't revisit it since I'm mostly in it for the cash 😇

Fun combo though, and the Genesis is more agile then I anticipated.

Try this...maybe it will help. Start braking at the 300 board but instead full braking, ride the brakes (50% ? braking, adjust as needed) into the bus stop and let go after you passed the first bump. The car should be fairly stable to power out the rest of the bus stop...if needed, touch the brake slightly before the 2nd bump.
Guess it was a good advice, not nailing it yet but it allowed me to gain some tenths.

Saw that there was only one day left, it should end thursday morning I guess, so not much time left to get gold.

Did 13 laps tonight, using my best lap so far as ghost, with 0.5s advance, so if I beat it or finish close I improve.
First lap was clean, but second one ended up meeting Barry R, restarted from scratch then did 11 laps, with lots of 57s and one occasionnal 56 here or there (some 58s too).

And finally it came from nowhere on a lap full of missed apexes (but a not so bad first turn which gave me tenths I managed to not lose all before the finish line), I got gold !!! By a very thin margin that probably won't hold...

winning didier drogba GIF

188fe6306de100-screenshotUrl.jpg

I am appaled by the number of apexes missed but...

I'll try to improve tomorrow to solidify it, I want my 2M Cr. !!

188fe644a6828-screenshotUrl.jpg

Lap count 105 😅

Last edited:
Guess it was a good advice, not nailing it yet but it allowed me to gain some tenths.

Saw that there was only one day left, it should end thursday morning I guess, so not much time left to get gold.

Did 13 laps tonight, using my best lap so far as ghost, with 0.5s advance, so if I beat it or finish close I improve.
First lap was clean, but second one ended up meeting Barry R, restarted from scratch then did 11 laps, with lots of 57s and one occasionnal 56 here or there (some 58 too).

And finally it came from nowhere on a lap full of missed apexes (but a not so bad first turn which gave me tenths I managed to not lose all before the finish line), I got gold !!! By a very thin margin that probably won't hold...

View attachment 1268568

View attachment 1268569

Lap count 105 😅

BRAVO !!! 👏👏👏

I'm in a conundrum! I have about 3-cars left to test on the glen and tomorrow morning will be my last chance to put in times before it ends. However, over the previous 2-days, I've dropped from 17/29 to 20/29 on my leaderboard (damn aliens!) and maybe even lower now. I've known, based on the optimals I've achieved with certain cars, that I could shave 0.2-0.4 over my current PB if I stuck with one. If I improved the max of 0.4 I would probably jump up 6-7 spots... but I wouldn't get to finish testing all the cars! Now I hate the fact that I decided to find a livery and take a pic of each car lol because that def ate up a lot of time lol

Edit: Damn you friends!! Ugh have a tough choice here - finish testing or dont and risk not improving my time enough to move up on my board.... LOL top 5500 out of 126,902 (top 4.3%) yet BARELY in top 75% of friends board :ill:

Last edited:

First lap was clean, but second one ended up meeting Barry R, restarted from scratch then did 11 laps, with lots of 57s and one occasionnal 56 here or there (some 58 too).

View attachment 1268568

View attachment 1268569

Lap count 105 😅

I think you got it bro!!! This makes me smile so much because you reallllllly put in the effort on this TT!!! Congrats!

View attachment 1268568

View attachment 1268569

Lap count 105 😅

Enfin !!!!! Bravo 👏👏👏🇨🇵🇨🇵

View attachment 1268568

View attachment 1268569

Lap count 105 😅

@Lomic my Gallic brother, great lap! So much improvement over the week and really your total lap count is still low. I do about 300 restarts a day before I even complete a lap 😂

Your sector 1 is spot on, if you extrapolated that pace through the rest of the lap you would be in the 1:53’s! Easier said than done I know 😁

Just a few things that I think could make you easily faster; you could brake later into the bus stop chicane but I think the way you do it here is nice and tidy and allows you to get on the power early, however it does mean you go in hot into the outer loop/turn 5/ long right hander. At that speed you need a dab of brakes (maybe no more than 50%) just to get the car into the apex, then coast or slight throttle until the access road on the right in the middle of the corner apex and only once you go past that get on full throttle, it’ll get you more exit speed and make up lots of time!

IMG_0999.jpeg

50% braking on the way in and slight brakes all the way to the access road on the right
IMG_1001.jpeg

I actually get on the power super early here as I was in a different dimension at this point 😅 but yeah full throttle as you pass the grey road on the right and you should be good!

Turn 6/The Chute and Turn 7/Toe are both nicely done, especially the Toe where you’ve got nice car control there to get the car turning in and on the power, you lifted slightly which was wise and if you get the car slightly closer to the apex maybe just delay the throttle a fraction you wouldn’t have needed the correction but both really good!

Turn 8 The Heel was nice too maybe just brake a little later but yeah it’s nice, you had plenty of space on the exit curb so could carry more speed but again it’s pretty good

IMG_1003.jpeg

I actually brake super late for the heel and somehow still make the apex, this is like 130 or something for full braking power but a good trigger is wait until after the 200 board has past you on the left

Turn 9, I know you know you missed this one, if you get the knack this is actually an easy turn to nail; brake just before the 100 board on your right and turn in simultaneously as you start braking, (I’m not sure how easy this is on a pad but at the very least just a slight bit of left stick as you begin braking at the board) that should get the nose turned in nicely and you should get much closer to the apex then throttle full at the same time as you did here.

IMG_1004.jpeg

I get on the brakes well before the 100 board and already some left steering input too. Just makes sure the nose gets near the apex, even the WR ghost goes wide here and he loses maybe 0.1 seconds here

Turn 10 nice, Turn 11 is so tough there’s not much to be said, dab of brakes slightly sooner, maybe turn in slightly sooner? It’s a difficult one to get right!

IMG_1005.jpeg

I took this one gently but it’s still pretty quick, off the gas and braking even before the grey barrier thing on the left ends, only gentle braking to help the car turn in better
IMG_1006.jpeg

Turning in just after the billboard passes through on your left and nice and smoothly in to avoid understeer.

I enjoyed watching the lap and seeing your improvements man! Good luck and go out and nail that gold time :cheers:

Last edited:

First lap was clean, but second one ended up meeting Barry R, restarted from scratch then did 11 laps, with lots of 57s and one occasionnal 56 here or there (some 58s too).

View attachment 1268568

View attachment 1268569

Lap count 105 😅

I'm as close as you are. Grinding on it. I hope to have the time I need.

Good work!!!

Well, sometimes you are just better off using meta and leave it at that in a TT. I wonder why I didn't do that at Watkins Glen 🤔🤦. Did a 1.54.950, smashed 650s PB by almost 6 tenths with the Silvia. I could get into 1.54.7s if I bothered to drive that Silvia a lot more. Can't be bothered tbh, not a big fan of how it drives. Like you think you can early throttle it, but then it just suddenly says no. I can see why it is meta, that acceleration is just broken like damn ☠️. And you can get on the power so early and press the throttle so hard early too, which quite few gr4 cars can handle that well after the physics changes a few updates ago. Also did a 1.55.1 in a GR Supra, now that car I really like how it drives. Anyways gonna try out the 458 before giving up on this TT.

Maybe doing circuit exp on secondary account in a Mitsu Lancer 'tanker' helped me in this TT. That car really didn't want to turn in at Tsukuba, even if you screamed at it 🥲😅

Attachments

• IMG_20230628_000037350_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230628_000037350_HDR.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I don`t know how the top guys manage it, ive been following a ghost car and at almost the first corner they just turn and grip and im slipping like on ice....:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Short answer: Because Aliens 🤣

Short Long answer: Hit the brake at the right place with the right force. Trail brake into the corner. Constantly feeling the car's balance and adjust brake pressure and steering angle. Switch to throttle once is stable enough to power out. Constantly adjust throttle and steering angle base on the car's balance.

Don't feel bad if you can't do it very well or can't do it at all. After all...there are people who are being paid 10s of millions every year because they can do those steps exceptionally well :D

Back