Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 33,164 comments
18b0160d50150-screenshotUrl.jpg

This is the closest to the top 2% I think I've ever been. Where on earth are these aliens finding an extra 1.3 seconds? At some points of the lap I'm two wheels on the curbs and the other two on the grass.

After I did spent a lot of time with the civic at the Nordschleife what was a real spot TT imo, this Road Atlanta GR1 is a real different something....., I realy hate the Porsche, the way it drives, the idiot battery drainage makes you indeed restart after each lap, come on..... I don't like this one, I know i am a roadcar Gr 3 and 4 dude.... this is just no fun for me,
I'll Bend my Dualsense to get gold here and move on, happy leaderboard hunting folks, I'll prob am somewhere on the bottom 🤣🤣

After I did spent a lot of time with the civic at the Nordschleife what was a real spot TT imo, this Road Atlanta GR1 is a real different something....., I realy hate the Porsche, the way it drives, the idiot battery drainage makes you indeed restart after each lap, come on..... I don't like this one, I know i am a roadcar Gr 3 and 4 dude.... this is just no fun for me,
I'll Bend my Dualsense to get gold here and move on, happy leaderboard hunting folks, I'll prob am somewhere on the bottom 🤣🤣
As a road car/ gr3/4 guy this stuff feels nuts in these LMP cars.

I'll take my silver and move on I thinks

RIP Pad players. Thinking back to the Red Bull nightmare on this circuit. Could be a long week.
For fun, and after seeing your post, I tried the new TT with pad only.
I'm not a pad player, but I still managed a 1:06.538 with it. So pad players can definitely do it, if I can get to close to gold with a pad, it's a no-brainer for experienced pad players.

For me, the wheel will be mandatory for this TT for sure ^_^

Last edited:
Woohoo!

View attachment 1292790

Funny thing is, this was quite a mediocre lap, I had much better individual sectors couple of days ago, but somehow this got me into the certificate territory :D
Congrats! What are some tips besides tightening up the lines? I'm currently at 7:49 and looking to improve. I found myself avoiding 2nd gear which helped shave two seconds already!

Bit of a agressive approach, not my most beautifull lap :lol: :lol: but it did the track
Yippee! You were playing with fire at the mini carousel. :lol: I love how you (probably) said "screw it" and kept the gas down while in that slide.

I'm already itching to get back to the Ring after today's session at Road Atlanta. It took me forever to get gold, having a best of 1:06.5, then .3 for many miles. Then suddenly I picked up two tenths in one attempt, getting a 1:06.114. Still well down the leaderboard and have no idea how the aliens do it around here. It was nice to know I was already taking the right approach to cornering and gear selection before even watching The Kie's lap. Despite that, I'm somehow well over a second behind him. I also hate how the hybrid system runs out of charge so quickly. Having to restart after every lap in a giant pain in the butt. Stamping on the brake pedal immediately upon taking control of the car from the computer (thanks to it draining the battery while you're waiting to take over) just to get the charge back is annoying as hell. I'll come back eventually to try to get under 1:06, though I'm not really looking forward to it. I really like the track, but just as with the Red Bull, I don't like the car combination. The circuit experience in the Beetle was much more enjoyable.

Yippee! You were playing with fire at the mini carousel. :lol: I love how you (probably) said "screw it" and kept the gas down while in that slide.

I'm already itching to get back to the Ring after today's session at Road Atlanta. It took me forever to get gold, having a best of 1:06.5, then .3 for many miles. Then suddenly I picked up two tenths in one attempt, getting a 1:06.114. Still well down the leaderboard and have no idea how the aliens do it around here. It was nice to know I was already taking the right approach to cornering and gear selection before even watching The Kie's lap. Despite that, I'm somehow well over a second behind him. I also hate how the hybrid system runs out of charge so quickly. Having to restart after every lap in a giant pain in the butt. Stamping on the brake pedal immediately upon taking control of the car from the computer (thanks to it draining the battery while you're waiting to take over) just to get the charge back is annoying as hell. I'll come back eventually to try to get under 1:06, though I'm not really looking forward to it. I really like the track, but just as with the Red Bull, I don't like the car combination. The circuit experience in the Beetle was much more enjoyable.
Blah blah blah...then merical lap of 1:04s.....:rolleyes:

Woohoo!

View attachment 1292790

Funny thing is, this was quite a mediocre lap, I had much better individual sectors couple of days ago, but somehow this got me into the certificate territory :D
Congrats mate!, welcome to the club, great job!
This took many more retries than anticipated :cheers:

View attachment 1292815
Congrats!, satisfying isn't it :) :) :bowdown:

Yeah, that caroussel is my enemy, every time i saw thew muffin torpedo out of it and had a hard time keeping up with him, so lost a fair bit of time there, not to mention the exit of the second carrousell....., i mowed some lawn there :lol::lol:, but it did the trick, very very pleased with it :-)..

Then Road Atlanta....., yeah, what to say, PD absolutely missed it on this one if you ask me, better for wheel?, better for controller?..... bla blah..., i have no idea, i hate it, stupid battery drainage, and the fact that you have to drive in a square to be straight to get the hybrid to work completely destroy the lines you have to get right on Atlanta to be fast.
I can't realy replicate K de Bruins ( i watched his replay ) lines and brakingpoint for a mile, i have no idea how he get somuch steering input and can slow the car down so fast for the last chicane??

But like i said, i'm gonna gold and run.... did a 1:05.778 this morning and i'm happy with that, case closed :lol:
Mist not only the apex before the backstraight tho, missed the whole corner basicly :lol::lol: so would have been a
1:05.5 for sure ...:irked:

Last edited:
True indeed, but I can't sleep for the rest of my life when I get stuck on 45.0 ...... that ain't gonna cut it 🤣🤣
But it's a fight, getting faster, but also make more mistakes...... did 4 laps just now, all 45.5, one corner.......gets me now EVERY lap 😡 me and "Bergwerk" ain't no friends anymore, I loose ALL my time there, if I take it 10 times, it's 10 times different, I just have NO idea how to approach this one, I brake at the blue tarmac line but have no idea when to turn in .......

Tips? 🤣
The key to getting a good exit from the Nurburgring Bergwerk corner is the turn in point. It’s much, much later you think, as the corner is much tighter than 90 degrees.
You actually have to hug the outside of the circuit as it starts to turn right before turning in towards the apex. Get on the power as soon as possible and don’t come off it again. The kerb on the exit is big but you can normally use it in most road cars to help carry some extra speed.
Here’s me in my Clio doing a half decent job demonstrating the ideal line.
Bergwerk corner Nurburgring Nordschleife GIF

Turn in too early and you’ll find yourself running too wide whilst the corner is still tightening. That means you’ll have to get off the throttle again, costing you precious exit speed.

The key to getting a good exit from the Nurburgring Bergwerk corner is the turn in point. It’s much, much later you think, as the corner is much tighter than 90 degrees.
You actually have to hug the outside of the circuit as it starts to turn right before turning in towards the apex. Get on the power as soon as possible and don’t come off it again. The kerb on the exit is big but you can normally use it in most road cars to help carry some extra speed.
Here’s me in my Clio doing a half decent job demonstrating the ideal line.
Bergwerk corner Nurburgring Nordschleife GIF

Turn in too early and you’ll find yourself running too wide whilst the corner is still tightening. That means you’ll have to get off the throttle again, costing you precious exit speed.

Nice!, that line is indeed much smoother than mine and way later indeed!, i'm going to give that a try, i'll go back to the Nordschleife TT for sure try to better my 44.6, way better than Atlanta haha

Thanks mate! #team Clio :) :bowdown:

You actually have to hug the outside of the circuit as it starts to turn right before turning in towards the apex.
Bergwerk is one of the few turns I really hate at Nordschleife. :lol:

With slower cars this turn isn't much of an issue, as you can quite safely go to the very left side, but with faster cars, staying on the left is scary with the approach speed.

That said, rear wheel drives are scary around the turn because of the massive camber.

Last edited:
Nice!, that line is indeed much smoother than mine and way later indeed!, i'm going to give that a try, i'll go back to the Nordschleife TT for sure try to better my 44.6, way better than Atlanta haha

Thanks mate! #team Clio :) :bowdown:
If you exit the corner 1mph higher, you’re at a 1mph advantage for the entire straight. You will still hit the top speed but you’ll get there 1mph sooner.

So the uphill run after Bergwerk isn’t straight, but it is flat out. Starting a 40 second (or more) flat-out section a few mph higher can make a big difference to your lap time. And I’m not talking tenths of a second. It can save whole seconds.

👆👆👆 do not forget 😅

Decided to have a go at Tsukuba for a few laps and managed to increase to just outside gold zone, so I'll have to come and hit that more over the weekend.

Then decided to try out the Gr.1 TT. Opted for the Audi VGT, seeing it shows so high in the main leaderboards and I've not used mine (aside from dropping on a GT Sport livery). After about a dozen laps of mixed fortune, I've only just managed a low 1:09.XXX. How people are finding many more seconds out of this thing is beyond me. I feel like I'm pushing it as hard as it can go around most of the course, but I'm absolutely miles off! I haven't got the 919 so haven't tried it, but might have to if it's that much faster out of the box... Thoughts??

Decided to have a go at Tsukuba for a few laps and managed to increase to just outside gold zone, so I'll have to come and hit that more over the weekend.

Then decided to try out the Gr.1 TT. Opted for the Audi VGT, seeing it shows so high in the main leaderboards and I've not used mine (aside from dropping on a GT Sport livery). After about a dozen laps of mixed fortune, I've only just managed a low 1:09.XXX. How people are finding many more seconds out of this thing is beyond me. I feel like I'm pushing it as hard as it can go around most of the course, but I'm absolutely miles off! I haven't got the 919 so haven't tried it, but might have to if it's that much faster out of the box... Thoughts??
it seems that we need to restart after every lap, since battery drains, check that if you want

I would try the 919 indeed, most replays and video's are with this hideous thing, so you can take a peek in what in the world the top guys do to get that fast, exits out of the chicane before the lap starts in 4th seems to be the way to go to prevent wheel spin, and try to straighten te car as quickly as possible to power out, you can shift quite early to 4th on the apex already.

Same goes for the corner after the S-'es, you can upshift quick to 5th as long as you are straight and have the advantage of the hybrid, same for the 90 degree corner before the backstraight you can go to second to find the apex ( wich a totally didn't find ) and exit in 4th...straighten and power out.

Not the easiest one this, and i had a hard time to even gold it in the beginning

and as @Barareklam mentioned, restart after each lap ( altho i have no idea if the Hybrid systems of other cars run out that quickly too?)

Last edited:
it seems that we need to restart after every lap, since battery drains, check that if you want
The Audi VGT runs out of hybrid before you've made the start/finish line on the opening lap, so I don't know if it makes much of a difference to restart with that! But I'm assuming that's the 919??
I would try the 919 indeed, most replays and video's are with this hideous thing, so you can take a peek in what in the world the top guys do to get that fast, exits out of the chicane before the lap starts in 4th seems to be the way to go to prevent wheel spin, and try to straighten te car as quickly as possible to power out, you can shift quite early to 4th on the apex already.

Same goes for the corner after the S-'es, you can upshift quick to 5th as long as you are straight and have the advantage of the hybrid, same for the 90 degree corner before the backstraight you can go to second to find the apex ( wich a totally didn't find ) and exit in 4th...straighten and power out.

Not the easiest one this, and i had a hard time to even gold it in the beginning

and as @Barareklam mentioned, restart after each lap ( altho i have no idea if the Hybrid systems of other cars run out that quickly too?)
Sounds like I need to watch some videos and get some time in the 919. Now - buy or rent?

You can definitely do a gold time without worrying about battery charge in the Audi, it's quite useful to run a bunch of laps until confident and then restart (or slow down and recharge) and go for a flyer.

If you watch the top time you can see how much charge can be kept in the car throughout the lap, there's definitely an art to it. Before starting you can move the car in 2nd and 3rd holding the brake enough to charge.

Latest Posts

Back