Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,909 comments
Real life has been killing me for quite a while but I love Big Willow - I had a little time today and I really wanted to get into the 33's...:)

Thanks to everyone here for all of the advice with a big thank you to @Metalgear9493 and your ghost! :bowdown::bowdown:

Gran Turismo® 7_20240717143752.jpg

Had another go at BW to see if I can improve

First laps were very red...
190c235cd9b21-screenshotUrl.jpg

Did not improved in the end. Not sure I'll bother try again tomorrow morning, as I have long days of work atm.

Improved a bit S2

When all laps are red, what is the reference time for the delta displayed ?

Last edited:
Hi,

I Liked it. Who cannot like good punctuation? :-)

Quite a few laps in this evening at Big Willow. No improvement. I did manage an improvement in my optimum time though. Some progress, after a fashion, I guess.

Once again, my hat is raised to everyone here. The help. The encouragement. The banter and "leg pulling". The replays and videos. Constructive critique. Guidance and all the other "2 Penneth / 2 cents" of input. Long may that continue!

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

<<<Thought to self... Wifey person is asleep. Dogs are walked. Washing up is done. Just five more laps......

Last edited:
Monsieur @Pesselles said last week that it was great to be in the top 500.
Little kitty was very happy because he was below that.
1000014962.jpg

Unfortunately, Monsieur Pesselles must have told a lot of people (he sometimes does that) and they got in the way.
1000014964.jpg

So Little kitty had to come back to this hot sand again...
1000014966.jpg

Hopefully Monsieur Pesselles won't tell another 57 people by tomorrow to avoid that kitty will hate him 😼

Attachments

• 1000014965.jpg
    1000014965.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Last minute effort to improve at Big Willow. Scraped a whole second off my previous PB for a comfortable top 1,000 position ...

1721258015940.png

... which is a very respectable result for my standards, and yet my friends board looks like this:

1721258064877.png

What do you say? You don't see me on this board? Exactly! I have to scroll down to find me. I think I need some new "friends". ;)

Seriously though, amazing efforts guys! I guess I just have to work even harder to keep up with you.

Could it be so that we had "Physics update" in between these two, and that's the reason? I remember one physics update, think we were in the middle of Glenn with Corvette 8th TT and that one was before RA x2019 TT (13th), but did we had one after TT13?
Yes, there was a physics change in 2023 that I had forgot about, I remember my RB junior that I used for money gind at the time got totally messed up after that. Have not used it since.

And speaking of repeats, the SF23 at fuji is also "sort of" a repeat.
Last time was standard TT #2, but with SF19 on RS tyres.
top time then was 1:18.840 :)

Day 3 at the desert...
TT-BigWillowMerc-almost3.jpg

Another improvement, found some consistency on sector 2 (around 20-30% success of doing it instead of 10-15%) and that helped me to attack the last corner. Did maybe 2 or 3 really good exits, but not on the lap that mattered, eh!
This lap was sub-standard on sector 2 (the uphill and downhill section, the flick at the bottom was close to perfect), but nice running through last corner (still not very good) saved the result.

TT-BigWillowMerc-almost3-lapchart.jpg

First time optimal into 33s. At 1.60% (pending on possible L-Shooter late entry) it should be so high, yet no, people here picked up their pace here by a lot!

Huge congrats to @Gogga, @330_D, @Jeje6410 (ofcourse), @MUC76, @krazislaw, also @Pesselles (almost!), @Lomic, @K1LLD0z3R and @smoothbore12 for their respectable times here!

I hate it even more!

Real life has been killing me for quite a while but I love Big Willow - I had a little time today and I really wanted to get into the 33's...:)

Thanks to everyone here for all of the advice with a big thank you to @Metalgear9493 and your ghost! :bowdown::bowdown:

View attachment 1373310
Excellent lap mate congratulations!!! 🙌🏽

Speaking of @Metalgear9493

IMG_7769.jpeg

I don’t know whether you have one more chance to try and improve but for the love of god it can’t end like this 😭😭😭

Thanks for letting me chase you for hours on end buddy! Your lines are art on some corners 💯

IMG_7768.jpeg

IMG_7767.jpeg

I huffed and I puffed and I didn’t get into the 1:32s, really tough session tonight. Still another nice juicy 👽 emoji for my collection 😁

Well done to everybody getting PB places this trial! Stunning effort from team gtp!!

Last edited:
Day 3 at the desert...
View attachment 1373354
Another improvement, found some consistency on sector 2 (around 20-30% success of doing it instead of 10-15%) and that helped me to attack the last corner. Did maybe 2 or 3 really good exits, but not on the lap that mattered, eh!
This lap was sub-standard on sector 2 (the uphill and downhill section, the flick at the bottom was close to perfect), but nice running through last corner (still not very good) saved the result.

View attachment 1373355
First time optimal into 33s. At 1.60% (pending on possible L-Shooter late entry) it should be so high, yet no, people here picked up their pace here by a lot!

Huge congrats to @Gogga, @330_D, @Jeje6410 (ofcourse), @MUC76, @krazislaw, also @Pesselles (almost!), @Lomic, @K1LLD0z3R and @smoothbore12 for their respectable times here!

I hate it even more!
Thanks a lot my dear friend and bravo for your time !!!!👏👏👏

View attachment 1373361

I don’t know whether you have one more chance to try and improve but for the love of god it can’t end like this 😭😭😭

Thanks for letting me chase you for hours on end buddy! Your lines are art on some corners 💯

View attachment 1373362
View attachment 1373363
I huffed and I puffed and I didn’t get into the 1:32s, really tough session tonight. Still another nice juicy 👽 emoji for my collection 😁

Well done to everybody getting PB places this trial! Stunning effort from team gtp!!
My dear friend @Dan_Tes I would like to congratulate you on this new improvement in your time. 👏👏👏👏👽👽
I tried to follow your advice but I couldn't improve my time significantly to beat my record of 178th in the world. Despite an optimal time of 1'33'4xx I was only able to do 1'33'621 (which is really already very good). As I work at night (today), I could see that in the ranking I was still 176th at 3 hours. But unfortunately, I lost 2 places and found myself 179th.
But it doesn't matter because I had a lot of fun driving on this circuit with this Mercedes from the 50s. I have a lot of fun driving these cars much more than the GRs.
Congratulations to everyone for your times and we look forward to seeing you on the next TT. :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:

View attachment 1373361

View attachment 1373362
View attachment 1373363

Thought you were going to get me there, I noticed that you were online pushing that time down. I was also chasing that 32 but unfortunately ended up missing out as well. Very close though. Annoyingly my best time being so close to 32 had a nice S2 with the tricky T5 as well as S3 and T9 being fine but a poor T1, went out on the sand and clearly lost more than .038 there. Sometimes you have those laps where really you should’ve restarted because of a miss but you keep going because “hell, why not” (kinda) and the rest ends up being good enough to be your best. Stupid bittersweet feeling! :banghead: :lol:

Great time trial though. I will always love Big Willow and this old beautiful 300 SL was a good fit here. Kudos to Polyphony for this one.

20970353175541608.jpg
190c3e393db38-screenshotUrl.png

I am sure you can get more, if I remember correctly you were P11, right, last time on Willow Springs? Go for it, we are cheering for you!
Almost. That was P12, my best so far! Cheers. :cheers:

Last edited:
I put in 200 miles earlier tonight with hopes of gaining some at Willow. Unfortunately, it was a fail. There were a couple of laps within .020 seconds of my best, but that was it. I had one lap where I was flying with a split after the first two sectors way better than any other only to have quite possibly my worst final sector of the entire session. :mad: Then the lap where I had my best ever final sector by a mile would happen on a lap where I had very subpar first and second sectors. Frustrating that I couldn't put them all together on one lap. Oh, well. I'm going to finish around 150th globally, but somewhere down around 14th on my friend's leaderboard. I thought the times at RBR were crazy. You guys went absolutely nuts at Willow.

Anyway, I'll have to wait to collect my gold until Sunday. I'm leaving after work tomorrow to head back to the old stomping grounds for a few days. Going to be in my buddy's wedding and all. Good luck to everyone when the new TT starts. Hopefully it's a fun one!

Last edited:
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240718180646.jpg

I did it! Into the 20s! And a good way in as well, but...

Screenshot 2024-07-18 183836.png

Imma just pretend the start line is at the end of sector 2, which means in my mind I'm on a 20.732, which means I'm in 267th... Again, in my mind. I keep on getting to the final sector knowing I'm on a good lap, and then playing it too safe and bottling it in the last sector. The relative time giveth and it taketh.

Back