Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,631 comments
Morning friends!! Quick one for me as unfortunately my final session got stopped short last night after getting a call from my girlfriend to say she’d hit a tree that had fallen into the road on her way home from work 😵 she is fine; the car isn’t. We are hoping Josh the Jaguar can be fixed, watch this space!

Before that unfortunate incident things were going well at Trial Mointain.. Steery cheat mode keeping me out of Barry R but I was starting to really get a rhythm with it; kudos to anyone taming this beast without assists! Reverse layout was pretty much a new experience for me and I have to say it’s not bad, how do PD do it!? A fictional track that is fun in both directions! Bravo 👏🏼

Anyways, here’s me best effort, I might have a small window to improve on Wednesday night but I might also be rescuing my girlfriend from the middle of nowhere depending on how things go. We are scheduled to drive to Belgium Thursday and then onto the Nurburgring for some tourist laps and DTM this weekend! Plus a tourist drive day at Spa on Tuesday! So we are praying for no more surprises 😭😭😭

IMG_8072.jpeg

278km later.... Finally in the gold and hopefully safe (my optimal is a 1.53.6 but that's VERY optimal).

Finally got the hang of it with TC3 on, had zero chance controlling this beast with it set any lower as I was consistently in the 55s with it set at 0 or 1, veryyyy slow. Rare for me to need that but with this car, I genuinely did and I'm not ashamed to say it if it's earned me 2mill credits! 😂😂

19145b2749b94-screenshotUrl.jpg

Morning friends!! Quick one for me as unfortunately my final session got stopped short last night after getting a call from my girlfriend to say she’d hit a tree that had fallen into the road on her way home from work 😵 she is fine; the car isn’t. We are hoping Josh the Jaguar can be fixed, watch this space!

Before that unfortunate incident things were going well at Trial Mointain.. Steery cheat mode keeping me out of Barry R but I was starting to really get a rhythm with it; kudos to anyone taming this beast without assists! Reverse layout was pretty much a new experience for me and I have to say it’s not bad, how do PD do it!? A fictional track that is fun in both directions! Bravo 👏🏼

Anyways, here’s me best effort, I might have a small window to improve on Wednesday night but I might also be rescuing my girlfriend from the middle of nowhere depending on how things go. We are scheduled to drive to Belgium Thursday and then onto the Nurburgring for some tourist laps and DTM this weekend! Plus a tourist drive day at Spa on Tuesday! So we are praying for no more surprises 😭😭😭

View attachment 1380294

Holy cr*p Dan, glad she is ok!
I'm sure you two will have enough love for the Jaaaaag to treat it the way is should 🤣

I'm back, altho..... half back..... after 1300km on the highway which was a monster 11.5 hour drive due to all vacation traffic and accidents while druged up on pain medication cause I have some sort of sinus/dental issue .... I first tried the new physics......, RBR .....Ferrari.....combined with the above....... difficult!

1000024495.jpg

So cross-eyed myself into the gold, but gave me alot of trouble 🙈🤣🤣
So still don't have felt the real physics.. altho it looks like i can feel the puddles better on pad?...

@GomarioJSP welcome back mate! I'm letting go of my control with the gold. I'll do my very best and earn whatever medal I get. Going to therapy really helped me face my problems irl. So what did you think of the RBR wet challenge? It was wild for me.
Good to hear that Chris, just have fun, gold silver or bronze, if you had fun with it you already won 😉
RBR is a wild one, ill report when I have a more "focused" session 🤣🤣🤣

Spa is torching me. I set a 33.x in my first or second run and I'm no more able to even replicate it.
Need to restart from scratch with it

I'm at 1:01.8xx and getting a little nervous.
Well just try to push harder and maybe get a sub 1'01.500, that might be a safe time for gold. I'm currently at 1'02.914, so my silver should be safe if I'm planning on keeping my time where it is for now.

Last edited:
A rewarding day in GT, even if it didn't start that way.

Began with another short session at HSR and it really cemented how much I don't like this TT at all. Even when I was putting things together it still wasn't fun. Improved a whole tenth to a 1:01.437 and that's where it will stay.

Now for the good stuff... hard, but good. I hadn't made much time for RBR and have only run maybe ten laps before this morning, leaving me with a time in the 1:40s. Not good.

First things first, a proper livery for the 458. I didn't even own this car until this TT came up. Somewhat matched it to the motif I made for my 458 GR4.

458 GR3.jpg

458 GR3 2.jpg

At RBR I stayed in the 1:40s for a while, and ended up putting SuperGTs ghost on the track to give me the lay of the land. Once I found technique and my groove the ghosts were shut off and I kept grinding and chipping away tenths until I was consistently in the 38s. Soon I had a single lap in the 37s that was invalidated so that became the goal... just a solid lap in the 37s. Eventually, after about two hours and who knows how many laps I was able to put in a few laps in the 37s, with a best of 1:37.806 and 239th place.

I've had some gripes about some of the cars I've driven in GT7 recently, but the 458 isn't one of them. This thing was very satisfying to hustle around here, even in the wet. Oversteer is controllable, all the inputs are super sharp, and it looks and sounds great. I'm pretty happy with the car and what I was able to get out of it.

Here's my final 5 lap session and fastest lap replay with metrics.

SIDE NOTE: ASSISTS

I mentioned in a previous post that I would play around with CSA and TCS a bit because I hadn't before, and it just re-confirms my want to never use them at all. After running a number of laps with everything off and ABS weak I turned CSA to strong, ABS to default and TCS on three. I've still never tried ASM.

CSA really is "steery cheat mode". All the consequences of the racing line are gone and you can just drive wherever you want on a wet track. TCS at 3 makes it so you don't have to modulate the throttle at all, and can just stab it at will. ABS default neutered the corner entry rotation I'm used to and depend on. Everything just felt wrong, artificial, and way too easy to control. It was nice in that it was stress free and comfortable (although driving a GT3 car in the wet shouldn't be), but you're not gonna hone any car control skills with these on.

With CSA set to weak and TCS at 1 things were better, but now each of them allowed a little traction loss/oversteer before intervening, which is a whole other bag of problems. The traits I've come to depend on are now being manipulated by unseen forces, causing me to react in the wrong ways, slowing things down, and making the car unpredictable.

With everything back off and ABS on weak the car came alive again... I was spinning out and going off track a bunch, but after I regained my footing I could feel the edges of traction in both steering and throttle again. The car was sharp and reactive and punished you for stepping outside of its limits, but was much faster when you gave it what it wanted and much more rewarding to get right. There was once again a pronounced area of traction outside of the racing line and it felt the way it should. My laps continued to get smoother and faster as I continually adjusted to what the car could do and what the track required.

I'm glad they help some people out, but don't think I need to turn them on again.

As always, have fun and keep it rubber side down!

Last edited:
Today we (Titans) spent the evening advising @Pesselles on his gift choice. It's like when the bride's best friends advise her on her wedding dress. You kind of want to be there, can't leave without her being offended anyway, but you're still a little bored. 😅

So I tried to break into 1:00.xx on the HSR on the side without anyone noticing.
Hopefully it worked 🤭

1000015812.jpg

It's been a busy weekend, tonight was the first chance I got to play since Friday, and of course I used it exclusively to try and secure the 👽 badge at RBR ;)

It took quite a while to get back into the groove, but I finally found another two tenths that, for now, put me back into the top 100. 💪

1723505832943.png

"For now" is the crucial part though, as this will very likely not hold until the end, so I need to find another tenth or two tomorrow (if I get the chance), before I will be off on vacation for two weeks. 😱

The good news is that the optimals are there. A 1:37.072 for this last session, and if I could somehow repeat my best S2 from Friday, even a 1:36.8xx would be possible. Absolutely crazy to think about that. 🤣

1723506755836.png

Well, that should hold right...
I must say I had a lot of trouble rotating the Ferrari, wets felt more stable for me and I must say TCS on 1 felt better than before the update, I realy have hammertime so gold and on the the next....

1000024519.jpg

So off to the Rampage.......
Yeeezzz that thing wants to kill you??....
And again.... I'm having a hard time again to rotate it.... I feel like trailbraking into rotation has changed a lot on controller....
And I'm having a hard time with it right now 🙈, maby it's just these combo's..... 😁🤪

But well.....first meters in the Killing machine..... what a monster..🤣🤣

1000024536.jpg

Now i must make a discission if I'll enter the HSR one....., I already hate it and I'm not the only one I see 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Settings > Ghost Settings > Display Personal Best Ghost

You load another one as you normally would from the leaderboards and to also see your own ghost PB for that session you simply run a valid lap. Not something I’d recommend apart from in rare cases, it’s a bit much traffic. Here I threw it on just to show the contrast MT/AT.
Last night i tried and indeed during the session I could see my best ghost and the WR's charging ghost but during the replay we don't see the ghosts! I forgot to do something do you think?

Can I ask with time trials, are some of them region locked at all? Question I've always wanted to ask.

Just because even in the same "two week time frames", it seems like you get to know the names at the top for the majority of them, but certain TTs they're nowhere to be seen? As in clear at the top of one, but nowhere on the other

Last edited:
Can I ask with time trials, are some of them region locked at all? Question I've always wanted to ask.
All the time trials are always open to everyone, with very few exceptions.

A while back we had a time trial that was for UK residents only. Besides that one, the only region-locked ones have been Japanese events and the Porsche Esports Challenge in the US.

(The Olympic Esports TT excluded some countries that are not allowed to partake).

Last edited:

Just because even in the same "two week time frames", it seems like you get to know the names at the top for the majority of them, but certain TTs they're nowhere to be seen? As in clear at the top of one, but nowhere on the other
Some people seem to only do certain types of time trials. You would have to ask the particular individuals. Shooter only does some cars, Jeddah seems not to do race cars, some simply have other commitments.

Back