Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,633 comments
Some people seem to only do certain types of time trials. You would have to ask the particular individuals. Shooter only does some cars, Jeddah seems not to do race cars, some simply have other commitments.
That's fair. @TumeK5 mentioned the GB only one and that was what was sort of in my head. I don't think I was a member here at the time but I vividly remember the leaderboard being all UK, and just didn't know if there were more regular versions, such as Europe only etc.

Thanks both for your replies

Yes.......gold......ruuuuuuunnnnnnn

1000024541.jpg

I'm out have fun with it.....God what a hideous timetrial.....

Last night i tried and indeed during the session I could see my best ghost and the WR's charging ghost but during the replay we don't see the ghosts! I forgot to do something do you think?
Yeah, you can’t see any ghosts in the replay. If you’re thinking of that video I posted, that’s not a replay, it was a live recording of the lap as I did it, hence the two ghosts being there.

Alright guys, rien ne va plus. I managed to do another short session at RBR today and improved by another few hundredths. Now the family has occupied the living room, and tonight we are leaving for a ten day vacation to the Côte d´Azur 🌴

So this will have to do.

IMG_0003.jpeg

This might be enough for top 100, but it‘s gonna be a nail-biter.🤞

Anyway, take good care of this place while I‘m busy sipping cocktails by the pool. ;)

CU in two weeks.
cheers GIF

Did the Rampage TT the other night, pleasantly surprised by this one. I wasn’t expecting that much, or rather some trouble and frustration, but it went quite smooth I have to say. Nice ride! First I was thinking I’d be satisfied with around 1’52.4 but found many places with tons of time to pick up and pushed for that 51. One evening’s enough though with how many TT’s (too many IMO) we have now, on to Red Bull for tonight, hoping that get that one done. :cheers:

1914451523853-screenshotUrl.png
19144512c9b23-screenshotUrl.png

I can't seem to get to grips (no pun intended) with these new physics.

The Ferrari at Tokyo was so much fun and such a dream to drive but the rest have just felt really strange.

WRX I left with silver.

On Saturday I gave Trail Mountain a go and well, that was an exciting 56 minutes 😱 really unlike me on just one TT, but I knew there was definitely a gold in this one, although it's only just in which is so unusual for me with a car like this 🤔

1000011141.jpg
1000011142.jpg
1000011143.jpg
1000011144.jpg
1000011145.jpg
1000011146.jpg
1000011147.jpg

So went for a very quick run in the Ferrari at RBR and hated every single minute.

Tried all combos of assists and got my quickest lap with TC0, ASM on, ABS weak and steery cheat mode weak.

But still miles away from gold, can't even get close... Just look at my optimal...
1000011148.jpg
1000011149.jpg

I even tried again on Sunday when the wife was busy as I was determined to find the flow and although I improved, it was absolutely pointless.

1000011150.jpg

I tried the:
  • Supra which loses so much in the corners but much quicker on the straight
  • NSX which seems to lose pace everywhere
  • R8 which felt really planted but strangely couldn't keep up with the Ferrari anywhere either

I don't get what's going on, these times are really unusual for me and especially the amount of time I've had to put in to them and still only take silver 😢

I'm falling out of love with GT7 at the moment and have started spending more time modding and coding on the gaming PC instead.

Will see what the weekend brings at HSR and maybe try the Honda too.

Last edited:
Slipping in to this thread realizing I’m 50(!) pages behind. I guess summer and the olympics got in the way! I am going to just pretend those 50 pages don’t exist and try to start fresh 🙂

Had about zero time for GT7 these last weeks but did ONE lap at Red Bull Ring (bronze) and a few with the Rampage on Trial Mountain (silver) tonight.

I been dabbling a bit with manual transmission the last sessions, I have always played on AT before. Actually was way faster on MT with the Rampage, so I will definately continue with MT from now on. Play with DS4, shifting with X and Square. Feels pretty natural after a while!

Would probably not have started playing with MT if it wasn’t for this thread!

Too bad the Rampage TT ends soon, was great fun and I would like to at least try to reach Gold.

After even more failure at RBR last night, I decided to take a trip back to TM with the Rampage. Sub 53 achieved! :dopey: And I know there are a couple tenths in it if I can put all three sectors together. This time it was the turn 1/2 chicane that cost me.
View attachment 1380850

I'm aiming for a 52. I had it a few times (by a bit actually) and lost it.

Very nice time in a VERY twitchy car!

I'm aiming for a 52. I had it a few times (by a bit actually) and lost it.

Very nice time in a VERY twitchy car!
You've been on fire lately, so I know a 52 is possible for you. I'm constantly playing with the throttle, and rarely do I ever fully get on it until I know I'm not going to spin up the tires (too much). For instance, I've noticed getting even just slightly out of shape exiting the right hander at the beginning of sector 2 is an absolute time killer. I'm partial throttle through there until I feel the car is straightened out enough. Otherwise it's sideways city. :lol:

You've been on fire lately, so I know a 52 is possible for you. I'm constantly playing with the throttle, and rarely do I ever fully get on it until I know I'm not going to spin up the tires (too much). For instance, I've noticed getting even just slightly out of shape exiting the right hander at the beginning of sector 2 is an absolute time killer. I'm partial throttle through there until I feel the car is straightened out enough. Otherwise it's sideways city. :lol:
I couldn't beat my first session until last night and I made a pretty big jump. I def have a bit more but as you know it's always hard to put it down. I found a third to a half throttle and REALLY trying to keep it balanced is the key. I also shift too much in two places. I have time tomorrow. I'm going to try once more...

And thank you. Coming from you that means a lot man. I have put in enough time at this point that I have found a pretty good consistency and that really helps at the sharp end.

I couldn't beat my first session until last night and I made a pretty big jump. I def have a bit more but as you know it's always hard to put it down. I found a third to a half throttle and REALLY trying to keep it balanced is the key. I also shift too much in two places. I have time tomorrow. I'm going to try once more...

And thank you. Coming from you that means a lot man. I have put in enough time at this point that I have found a pretty good consistency and that really helps at the sharp end.
Absolutely right about the third and half throttle. You can't mash the gas or you'll be heading straight for a wall. As for shifting, I decided to take a few corners in a higher gear than before after watching @NAXEHT's lap. It seemed to settle the car down, as it helps limit wheelspin and overall is more stable and balanced.

I can see under your name your fantastic current placings. You deserve credit!

Did a few laps around Trial Mountain at lunchtime, chasing @Tidgney 's ghost (thank you!) and knocked about a second off which makes bronze a bit safer.
I don't know why chasing a ghost can make you faster, especially when it's mostly disappearing off into the distance!
Don't normally do it but it seems to help sometimes.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

After trying the Ferrari at RBR and the Rampage at TM I couldn't find the finesse on pad, cars felt like a ton and I seem to lack the ability to get them rotated, so I thought a good way to try should be the uber light Spa trial..... but even that thing feels different to me, it's like the steering sensitivity is on -2 while I always am on 10... I checked like 3 times 🤣🤣

So for now.... im not a fan of the physics on pad, it just seems way slower and less sensitive and is going to take some time to adapt I guess...... @Dolph Drago what are your thoughts.?

First run in the RA272 was kind of fun though

1000024606.jpg

Did a few laps around Trial Mountain at lunchtime, chasing @Tidgney 's ghost (thank you!) and knocked about a second off which makes bronze a bit safer.
I don't know why chasing a ghost can make you faster, especially when it's mostly disappearing off into the distance!
Don't normally do it but it seems to help sometimes.

I usually don't use aliens ghosts that are too fast for me, at least when I first try a TT. I try to find a ghost that's around one second faster than gold time. I can usually follow it pretty closely and that's enough to get gold.

A weird thing has happened this fortnight with the Trial Mountain TT. After a day of getting used to the car, I set what is still my best time on day 2 of trying. I thought there was a bit of room for improvement, but have come within 0.1 seconds only once since, and have mostly been at least 0.4 seconds off. The main culprit is sector 1, where I did a 41.05 second split on my fastest effort. Since then I've been at 41.25 maybe twice and mostly 41.4. A lot of 41.4s....

I have reviewed and tried to copy the usual aliens- Tidgney and some top times. Yesterday I even resorted to using @Metalgear9493's ghost, but that just reinforced that I have no idea how some of you use ghosts. Although it helps with line, once you know, you know. Chasing it is just weird, because by definition they brake a little earlier, accelerate a bit earlier, leaving a concertina effect.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Still happy with my time though; currently 92nd so may hold for a top 100. I guess I just had my miracle lap early on and then reverted to normal variance!

@Gomario JSP

As you may know I alternate between Dualsense and wheel.

Prior to the physics change, I was very comfortable on the controller. Post update, I absolutely hate it!!

With the wheel on the other hand, the physics are sublime. It feels way more sim like to me. It is slightly more difficult and takes some getting use to, but I feel that it is definitely a step in the right direction.

This is just my opinion and I do believe you guys will still kill it using the controller. Also bear in mind that I have not given the controller more than 1.5 hours since the updated physics.

A weird thing has happened this fortnight with the Trial Mountain TT. After a day of getting used to the car, I set what is still my best time on day 2 of trying. I thought there was a bit of room for improvement, but have come within 0.1 seconds only once since, and have mostly been at least 0.4 seconds off. The main culprit is sector 1, where I did a 41.05 second split on my fastest effort. Since then I've been at 41.25 maybe twice and mostly 41.4. A lot of 41.4s....

I have reviewed and tried to copy the usual aliens- Tidgney and some top times. Yesterday I even resorted to using @Metalgear9493's ghost, but that just reinforced that I have no idea how some of you use ghosts. Although it helps with line, once you know, you know. Chasing it is just weird, because by definition they brake a little earlier, accelerate a bit earlier, leaving a concertina effect.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Still happy with my time though; currently 92nd so may hold for a top 100. I guess I just had my miracle lap early on and then reverted to normal variance!
You're usually way faster than me and I only did one gold lap there so this may not apply to alien times (my first sector was 41:800 on my only gold lap).
But I just use it as an alternative to having a real time delta timer because in VR there is none. I can gauge were I am losing time or gaining time in the sector by how far away the ghost is, and if it is pulling away or I am staying with it- or if it is pulling away faster or slower than usual. Yeah the concertina affect happens, but you get used to that. It may help with lines and braking points at first, but after a few laps after you figure that stuff out, it's just about using it as a "visual delta timer" for me. Now that I'm used to it, I can't go as fast without it usually. But if it's too close it gets distracting and slows me down. I also use it on flat screen now but I hardly ever run these TTs on flat screen. I'm sure people use it in different ways though.

Finally had some seat time yesterday evening. Got into the 53s. My leaderboard looks scary 😆
Epic times guys.

Hopefully will get some time this evening to attempt RBR and Trial Mountain before it ends.

View attachment 1380884
That time should be well safe enough for Gold (I managed a 1:53.933 so pretty much identical to yours) as I was worried my previous best of 1:54.198 wouldn’t be good enough anymore knowing the rate of improvement from Jeddah_Racing (how they are so far in front I don’t even know).

I find the twitchiness comes from uphill corners - it seems to spin for days, otherwise if controlled is actually quite forgiving.

That time should be well safe enough for Gold (I managed a 1:53.933 so pretty much identical to yours) as I was worried my previous best of 1:54.198 wouldn’t be good enough anymore knowing the rate of improvement from Jeddah_Racing (how they are so far in front I don’t even know).

I find the twitchiness comes from uphill corners - it seems to spin for days, otherwise if controlled is actually quite forgiving.
Should be a safe gold. Would love to knock another .5xx off my time. According to my optimals, this is possible but nailing sector 1 is a mammoth of a task. All those twitchy uphill corners in this sector kills my time.

It is crazy how the Aliens are +/- 3 seconds faster.

Hi guys,

After trying the Ferrari at RBR and the Rampage at TM I couldn't find the finesse on pad, cars felt like a ton and I seem to lack the ability to get them rotated, so I thought a good way to try should be the uber light Spa trial..... but even that thing feels different to me, it's like the steering sensitivity is on -2 while I always am on 10... I checked like 3 times 🤣🤣

So for now.... im not a fan of the physics on pad, it just seems way slower and less sensitive and is going to take some time to adapt I guess...... @Dolph Drago what are your thoughts.?

First run in the RA272 was kind of fun though

View attachment 1380885
@Dolph Drago seems to adopt to the new physics quite well judging fron his time. I....on the other hand....not so much 🙈

Don't get me wrong tho....I love the new physics and think the chamge is great. I just can't seem to get it right. Now the brakes and throttle is even more sensitive than befor...maybe I juat don't have the finesse to get the most out of it 🫠

Back