Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,904 comments
Tell me you don't know the track/car combo without telling me...
1000028741.jpg

Tell me you learned track and car at least a bit without telling me...
1000028742.jpg

oh ? really ? I did 4 laps only by pure chance so I did not done more than that, but there is an electric boost that goes away after a few laps ? good to know, I'd probably have not figured it myself and would have been wondering why I was unable to make better laps after the lap 5.

Technically yes, but what I was doing is if I messed up a lap I would just drag the brakes down any of the straights to recharge the battery for the next lap. You can stretch your stints out a bit longer that way.

Assuming you're not running consecutive clean fast laps :D

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

Has anyone that has done a NOPE on the Genesis VGT trial actually tried it? ITS FUN!!!

The car is quite nice, once you get it turned in it’s quite balanced and gets through the corners nicely on partial throttle, it sounds the absolute nuts. I have no idea what RPM to shift at but I don’t really care, the visibility is good, it looks good.. it’s challenging but fun I like it! Some of the VGTs are great, don’t knock em till you’ve tried em!

The track eh, St Croix has some good combos, don’t think I’ve driven this one before. It’s quite fun but quite a few corners are blind and look very very similar so remembering braking points is a challenge!!

On the whole. I love it. No surprised there given my recent history 😇😂

Clark Kent Dc GIF by Adult Swim

A choke on the final corner cost me a world top 10 time when I set the lap and leapfrogging @djolliea. Oh well, that’s why he’s always faster than me. Got to be on your game all the time at the pointy end!

IMG_9245.jpeg
IMG_9244.jpeg

Back in the GTR, took me a good long while to get used to it after a weekly race and the VGT… it’s so much fun when you get on it, just like a GTR in real life 😉😉😉

IMG_9252.jpeg
IMG_9253.jpeg

Plenty of time on the table but a clean lap comes every once in a while thanks to those tyres getting overwhelmed just a little too easily

Away for the weekend now so hopefully a couple more attempts at NBR sprint before it finishes 🙂

(Love you all)

Last edited:
Has anyone that has done a NOPE on the Genesis VGT trial actually tried it? ITS FUN!!
I tried it at 8:01 this morning.

I can get the appeal but when we have an E36 M3 in the game that doesn't get a TT.

My enjoyment of the TT is not in mastering the thing they give us but the things I can get emotionally connected to on one level or another.

Vision cars on one of the most awkward fake circuits just has no immersion for me, couple that with a very long lap and fine margins when you want pace. It becomes a disconnected chore rather than fun like "how fast can I take the bus stop in a 90s classic V6" to how do I not run wide with a 10000000hp car that doesn't actually exist and when it turned a wheel it did not do that in anger.

Horses for courses and challenges are challenges and that is cool, just not my thing and that is ok

I tried it at 8:01 this morning.

I can get the appeal but when we have an E36 M3 in the game that doesn't get a TT.

My enjoyment of the TT is not in mastering the thing they give us but the things I can get emotionally connected to on one level or another.

Vision cars on one of the most awkward fake circuits just has no immersion for me, couple that with a very long lap and fine margins when you want pace. It becomes a disconnected chore rather than fun like "how fast can I take the bus stop in a 90s classic V6" to how do I not run wide with a 10000000hp car that doesn't actually exist and when it turned a wheel it did not do that in anger.

Horses for courses and challenges are challenges and that is cool, just not my thing and that is ok
I hear what you are saying! I get a little frustrated by some of the choices made and sometimes feel a little unimaginative. But that’s the beauty of time trials. All I’m saying is that we should always give them a chance and not write a combo off straight away as usually there joy to be had and skills to be learnt ☺️

I hear what you are saying! I get a little frustrated by some of the choices made and sometimes feel a little unimaginative. But that’s the beauty of time trials. All I’m saying is that we should always give them a chance and not write a combo off straight away as usually there joy to be had and skills to be learnt ☺️
100% agree.

2 things, my opinion is purely mine so peeps did peeps not listen to Glen.

I love the TT format, don't always agree but that's cool I can opt out and focus on daily TT and races so it's all good.

I personally don't feel the need to master that machine on this combo is all.

Tell me you don't know the track/car combo without telling me...
View attachment 1396037
Tell me you learned track and car at least a bit without telling me...
View attachment 1396038
Lol, how did you get 9 bad laps? Don't worry mate I ran 15 laps and messed up 10 of them this afternoon. I'm sure @Dolph Drago will not like the looks of this one. There's so many factors and things you have to consider here at Croix, some places are narrow and you can easily hit the wall. Some corners are tricky, I tell you that course map comes in handy. It lets me know what's coming up and I can sense when and what direction to turn. It's a nasty VGT car when the TCS is set at 0. I spun out midway during 3 of my runs.

Last edited:
My GT-R time was a 2.97% which was probably safe at this point but still it was a bit too close. Having been away for a trip, I jumped back on and gave it another go. I took a chunk of time off with my optimal being in the high 1:33s but I probably won't go back now. Still, it's a decent time for me. :)

IMG_8662.JPG

I then tried St Croix. For the layouts I've done before I kind of like St Croix, but this one I've never done. I was a complete fish out of water. My current time is pretty mediocre but my optimal is in the 2:42s just outside of gold so there is lots of potential.

IMG_8661.JPG

I've just got to learn the track and put it all together. Lots of learning to do.....

But, I fear the gold will drop a lot on this one. I'm not so good on longer tracks. What should I be aiming for?

Last edited:
I came (back), I conquered, I got gold 😁

I’m warming to the track and car as I start to figure it out. I’m beginning to like this one. Call me weird!

IMG_8663.jpeg

Edit: oh and driving the VGT in VR is a trip. You feel you’re steering an ocean liner. It’s sooo loooong. 😁

Steers about as well as one as well. With that said I found steering on trail braking (with default ABS) to be the key for me. It turns in pretty well with about 30% brake.

Last edited:
The results for TT108 are over here.

I've also updated the opening post with the index of TTs and the second post with the community scoreboards.

Interim Results for TT109* at Nürburgring Sprint Nissan GT-R Premium edition T-spec '24. At this interim stage it is around middle of the pack on my difficulty-o-meter.
*It shows as 105 below; will become 106 once maintenance has been completed.
1728631890257.png

1728631117369.png
1728631840203.png

LB.png

Last edited:
The results for TT108 are over here.

I've also updated the opening post with the index of TTs and the second post with the community scoreboards.

Interim Results for TT109* at Nürburgring Sprint Nissan GT-R Premium edition T-spec '24. At this interim stage it is around middle of the pack on my difficulty-o-meter.
*It shows as 105 below; will become 106 once maintenance has been completed.
View attachment 1396182
I don't think we appreciate quite how ridiculously stable the playerbase numbers are; every time they put out a Gr.4 or new content TT there's 180k playing it, and they almost have to deliberately put out a hard/disliked combo for it to drop below 150k. And it's been that way for almost two years now.

It's not hyperbole to say pretty much any other live service dev would look at those numbers and wonder what PD's secret sauce for player retention is (and I don't think they know themselves, either!).

It's an annoyingly difficult yet rewarding combo. I bagged a top 13 time (38.6).

The exit of the corners isn't too complicated, most of them are in gear 4 with slight care to avoid initial oversteer and then post apex understeer.

The complexity of this combo is more to do with turn-in, when braking on the limit.

Goal 37.xxx

Last edited:
It's not hyperbole to say pretty much any other live service dev would look at those numbers and wonder what PD's secret sauce for player retention is (and I don't think they know themselves, either!).
Very true, especially because they actually do very little to promote these events or motivate players to compete. I have to believe that most players who have been active in the game for over two years are not in it for the credits anymore.

Soooo......

With all trash talk about the space-ship on fictive French grounds i made the choise of starting a lap with it, each year i'm off to the south of France tanning up and have fun at the French riviera dreaming of nice slidy roadcars while hearing the sound of the sea and the seegulls... :lol: :lol: ... so i had to try because i'm baquette man....

Speaking of baquettes, the car has the same shap as is, and i was preparing for it to handle the same as one getting it barehanded fresh out of the hot oven...but....
It's not so bad after all indeed!, besides that i absolutely despice the track because of it's off camber blind corners and weird entrypoints i kind of enjoyed this morning playing with this combo.
First laps were all red, than finally had a first valid lap of 42.5xx close to gold but yet baquette length away....

Then started to understand the baquette a bit, .... it just needs patience and it doesn't like throttle midcorner, if you give some it makes you feel like a washingmachine, you can keep a little steady throttle midcorner so you can feed it more gently on exits, but jeezzz this is delicate without TCS.

Then finally had a sort of descent run, mist a lot of apexes still and don't even start on that last corner, i hate it, i have no idea where to brake, same goes for that full pull round corner at the end of the lap.....
But not to shaaaabbyyyy for a first look at 1:40.670,

But @Dan_Tes come on man, you make us look stupid here :lol:

1927a7c67770-screenshotUrl.jpg

Last edited:
Finally Friday. I plan on starting with the GTR this evening. Looking forward to it. After reading through all you guys comments, I know its not going to be an easy one.

See you guys on the leader boards :cheers:
You'll enjoy it. You like this kind of car. You'll be frustrated at first but it'll come to you. It's a pretty annoying but also very fun trial in my opinion. When you blow a lap you can just drift your way around a bit and have some fun. I like that in a time trial. 🤷‍♂️👍

Some confirmation about tyre temp. It takes about one lap, at least for me, to get in the window.

1728642197332.png

I actually didn't test what happens if one restarts. I guess it restarts from cold tyres, but cannot proof it with this.
Front left peaks are always related to the long right semi-circle turn.

@Tidgney, out of curiosity, if you are willing to share...
the telemetry of your record lap also starts from cold tyre temp. Is it really what you did, or it's another wrinkle of the telemetry shown by GT7 in replays?

Latest Posts

Back