Tips to finding good online racing?

• Thread starter crowhop
  • 14 comments
United States
Upstate SC, USA
GTP_crowhop
There are many who find racing online enjoyable, but I've rarely been able to find a race with more than 2 other people.
Tomorrow night, I am free to race after 10:00 PM EST (-5 GMT) and would like to race some of the TCs or RMs in the game in a longer race (or two) in order to enjoy the tire wear and maybe even some pit strategy.

Are there any tips I am unaware of for finding good quality one-make races?
The "Online Competitions" section has some good series going, but seemingly nothing for Spot Races.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Note: no grumps, please.

Find a good set of regular, clean and fair racers, FR them, and then race with them whenever they're online.

Me and few my friends invested small amount of money in this *issue* and four years later we have no single problem whatsoever.

We just bought an internet domain, took a free forum-form from SimpleMachines and established a small community focused only on clean driving. We started to evolve our network with calling-in friends who also drive occasionally or know someone who drives GT. Bam. Four year later, we have 170 members of which more than 40 is active for every day/weekend of the year.

Also notice how I live in small country with population of >4 million, so you have like 60X greater chance to make this for you. Good luck 👍

That's a pretty "all round" solution amar!

As an alternative, if you don't want to go to such lengths as creating a dedicated club, just start visiting the public lobbies. Look for lobbies with SRF off that are running the type of event you are keen on. Race clean, be friendly, take part and then note who is racing clean/hosting clean lobbies and then simply add them to your friends list.

After a few weeks of racing in the public lobbies you should have a variety of good hosts on your list and then you can drop into their lobbies assured of clean racing. As you continue to race continue to maintain this friends list, remove folk who are no longer active and add any new good racers you find.

I did exactly that and now have a nearly full friends list of good clean racers who are into the same type of racing as I am (and as a bonus are a good bunch of lads to hang with).

Whatever route you choose, as PD have made the online aspect of the game very much a sandbox you WILL need to put in some time and effort in order to find lobbies that are suitable but the rewards (if you are a keen racer) are more than worth it.

[EDIT - for the specifics you are looking for you are likely to have more luck finding a league. Most spot races tend to be shorter than what it sounds like you are looking for.]

Last edited:
Join rooms with regulations (free for alls are trouble).

When you have a good race with someone add them to your friends list.

Eventually you'll have so many good racers on your list you no longer need to even go to the open lobby menu to find races.

There are many who find racing online enjoyable, but I've rarely been able to find a race with more than 2 other people.
Tomorrow night, I am free to race after 10:00 PM EST (-5 GMT) and would like to race some of the TCs or RMs in the game in a longer race (or two) in order to enjoy the tire wear and maybe even some pit strategy.

Are there any tips I am unaware of for finding good quality one-make races?
The "Online Competitions" section has some good series going, but seemingly nothing for Spot Races.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Note: no grumps, please.

send me a FR , and join our rooms we have open rooms , dirty drivers will not last longer then 30 sec :P ...
its all about gentleman driving , multiple nationalities .
useally only 3 to 6 sometimes 10 laps .

edit excuse me i didn't see you we're looking for TC or RM , we only do road / street cars

- Favour rooms with active skid recovery off

- Look for rooms with restrictions in place, particularly PP and tyre restrictions

- Room names containing words like 'clean' and 'pro' attract like-minded sensible drivers

Following these rules, I usually find a decent room. The odd idiots are still expected, though!

Keep an eye out for "GTP_"hosts or GTP titled rooms. Try a different region, good driving is always appreciated, language barriers aside.

Find a good set of regular, clean and fair racers, FR them, and then race with them whenever they're online.
👍
I agree with this, you can find a decent set of racers after months racing online. Once you meet one, they'll probably know another, and before you know it, you've got a community going:)

It's all hit and miss really, sometimes I find both fast and clean drivers, then other times I find dirty and "rammy" drivers. Luckily I've been encountering some clean racers lately, but I've been hosting my own lobbies recently limiting it to 10 people and putting clean(in capitals) in the title. I usually run with 1 or 2 buddies and the rest are randoms, and 90% of the time it's clean. Those that choose to be annoying or not drive clean are simply kicked.

Race for fun not to win.

Ie find rooms with strict rules on cars. Eg PP based no race cars, pre 1980 cars (no race), shuffle etc.

Back