toyota 1.8 vvti

Young_Warrior

(Banned)
Quick question guys.

Whats the most powerful 1.8 vvti engine you guys have heard of?

Is it possible to tune them to around 400-500hp?
Has anyone tuned that engine to around that figure? Thanks

400? Not in any way definitive, but I'll say no. Highest I've ever heard of is 242hp/169lbft in a tuner (Forcefed) Elise*.
The engine code is 2ZZ-GE, that may help in your searching.
Also, try 2ZZ-GTE and 2ZZ-GZE (turbo and supercharged, respectivly). Not that those were ever manufactured, but people tend like making up engine codes as they go.

*11.5:1 comp + Garret GT28R @ 7psi: Sounds like really pushing it to me. This car is reputedly quite unlaggy though, so there is something to comprimise for more power.

600hp? I doubt that engine could handel that, I would say at most you are looking at 400hp. I mean 600hp is possible if you only want to have an engine life of a few thousand miles.

I belive that's the maximum output for the turbo, it doesn't have anything to do with the engine.
I think you might want to look into a 3S-GTE swap. Stupid-power buildups are much more common for them. It is a heavier iron block, but unless you've got an Elise, everything (I can think of) with a 2ZZ is FWD and you'll need that weight for traction. :D

300, I'd bet, is the most it'd make in streetable trim. Not that there's a big market for ultra-powerful Toyota engines, or they'd be making over 400 in street trim by now (see Honda and Nissan). But IMHO, 250 is probably the most you could want in an FF or a light car... anything more is bound to be laggy.

TRD offers a supercharger for the 2ZZ, which could put output up to 240hp, I believe. Then you're looking at a bit more to get to 300hp. Judging by your other thread, it sounds like you're looking at Elise tuning. www.forcedfed.com for USA, UK there's a lot of tuning options, depending on your car model. www.bbrgti.com :)

Just to clear things up for you young warrior.

The 1.8L VVT-i is the 1ZZ-FE (100Kw) that are in the normal Corolla's, and current MR-2/MR-S.
The 1.8L VVTL-i is the 2ZZ-GE (141Kw) that are in the Celica's and get the big power figures when turboed. There's been a couple here in Australia with low pressure turbo kits (7-8psi.) pumping 160Kw@wheels.

Mafs!!

Back