Toyota Crown (S70) Coupe 1971

Sick_Cylinder
0731_Toyota-Crown-MS75.jpg

2.6 litre SOHC straight six. When the Toyota Crowns were new I thought them over styled - it didn't help that most were covered in rust spots from an early age, but now I find they have an early seventies charm and I particularly like the vent above the grille and below the bonnet (hood).

one53_kO6b_1.jpg

As much as I support this one, especially when it would make a spectacular counter to the Kenmeri GT-R, I fear it's far too obscure to be included. That inlet at the leading edge of the hood is my favorite characteristic of the Crown and Hilux of that era.

You may be right TexRex, but hopefully not. Although I don't remember seeing many of the Coupe model, in the early seventies the saloon and estate models could be seen on many driveways in affluent neaighbourhoods in the UK - it was probably an equivalent car in terms of status and market position to a modern day 5 series BMW. Hopefully some of the kids who were ferried to and from school in these cars will be members of GTPlanet and have fond memories of that time and the straight six engine sound.

They're all far rarer in the US and I didn't take notice of them until I was older, but having owned an RA29 Celica Liftback and being around owners of older Toyotas I gained an appreciation.

Back