Triumph TR7 V8 Rally Car 1976

• Thread starter Akwaaba
  • 5 comments
United Kingdom
London/Malaysia/Tunisia
Waizon/v8stage1/
Actually, I really liked the picture, so found an excuse to share it!

tr7-rally-car-6.jpg

Not a bad car, but replacing the straight six 2.5 litre 150 bhp TR6 with a 105 bhp 2.0 litre slightly strangely styled semi sports car was never going to win British Leyland with many fans ...

didn't stop the stupid adverts:
75to81tr7.jpg

However, I'd like to drive one again (I drove a TR7 with a V8 conversion ... not an original factory TR8, and it was alright!)

They developed a quite looking Lynx, and never got around to selling the TR7 Sprint (with the Dolomite Sprint 16v 127bhp engine) which was a shame

triumph%20tr7%20001_8529.jpg

the never released, but quite nice (for the 70s remember) Lynx
1978_Triumph_TR7_(Project_Lynx)_Heritage_Motor_Centre,_Gaydon.jpg

British Leyland the owners of Triumph anticipated that most TR7's would be sold in the USA and at the time it was widely expected that the USA would ban all future convertible cars on safety grounds. The TR7 convertible took far too long to get into production and as has already been stated, the dolomite sprint engine was never made available in the TR7.

British Leyland was in a chaotic state, being disrupted by union hard liners like Red Robbo and surviving from day to day on bail outs from the government - not surprisingly many bad decisions were made by management.

Incidentally the TR7 V8 rally cars only managed 2mpg during rallies!

I actually owned a TR8 in the very early '90s, 17 years old, my second car but first restoration project.
Would I like to see one in GT6? Too right I would.
It may not handle like a MR2, or be as fast as a Lancia Stratos but it was definitely fun to drive, even if it is not to everyones taste.

Adding a race version too would just be the cream on top.

79-Triumph-TR8-DV-08_MH-04.jpg

79-Triumph-TR8-DV-09_AI-01.jpg

Back