Tuning for Dummies

• Thread starter Tails
  • 14 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!
I don't know if there's already a thread for this, so i'm asking here.

Is there a guide for dummies regarding car tuning?
I'm completely clueless about these things, looking at suspension height, camber, brake bias etc. really makes no sense to me, as i never really approached these topics.

Tuning in GT isn't really easy to me (but it's my first GT), there's a lot of trial-and-error but it becomes trial-and-hope since it's always like this:
93761d1383596911-i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-funny-dog-pictures-i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-jpg

So, some advices? A little guide?
What to change to make to adjust oversteer? What the heck does differential do? What to touch when the car goes straight toward the wall even if you turn the wheel with all your might and scream in horror?

In a word: Help!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...gt6-corvette-stingray-c7.291066/#post-9003798

I like Motor City Hami's explanations.

One of the things that PD should have had by now was very detailed special tuning events with explanations: ESPECIALLY given that GT6 is now aimed at beginners. Such events should have forced you to drive with various settings in specific situations: first incorrect and then correct so that you would be forced to make the change and see the before and after. That PD cannot even provide illustrations with their very basic text description blocks reeks of neglect.

I am planning on writing a guide on how to start tuning a car soon, its going to cover where to begin and what to look for more thoroughly. More of a 'How To' rather than an explanation of parts, functions and the effects they can have

Remember too that camber isn't working in GT6. Ignore what PD says about it. Adding camber reduces grip, so as a last resort you might add camer to one end or the other to reduce grip...like on the front of a Stratos for example.

well there is this that does so many explanations with example that's been around since GT3

http://www.gtvault.com/gt5/tuning-guide/

but i would love to find a how to as someone suggested above like for example step 1 , 2 , 3 etc and how to troubleshoot your tune to your liking for example how many digits to jump from one test to the other and what to compromise and what to expect.

I used to have a lot of tuning guides for my old F1 PC sims , they used to tell us which corner is vital to concentrate your balance on and develop the car to suit the rest of the track and so on, none of this so far for GT.

Be warned. It won't be a short journey. But frustration gives you joy.

Remember there's a booklet coming with your disc? A big cool "ba" is printed on the shiny cover as I remember. Read it. It's a good read for a basic understanding of how cars work.

And then, feel the driving, feel the cars. Feel how it react to your inputs. Compare the responses to your own liking.

Once you get the idea of how car works and your liking, you'll get a direction to find the way. Sometimes when you're lost, just remember to get back to the very fundamental, and start over.

As to 'the very fundamental', it's not necessary the stock form of a certain car. There're many cars in the world not designed to please you, (or not for good driving in a video game). So you got to know the basic of a car, the way you'd describe to an alien who has absolutely no idea. And work from there, alter it to your liking.

Finally, look around, and compare your liking to those professionals, and the real things.

Check out T S Elliot over here, poet laureate of GTP! lol
(I am of course kidding, well put, you are 100% right)

Remember too that camber isn't working in GT6. Ignore what PD says about it. Adding camber reduces grip, so as a last resort you might add camer to one end or the other to reduce grip...like on the front of a Stratos for example.
Adding camber is reducing grip??? Oh GT6............. :(

I've got tips on my site and the tuning forum has a lot of info. Feel free to message me (i'm sure the others tuners will welcome questions, but I don't want to speak for them).

Back